• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I've hit my first brick wall and it sucks. 8* caravan Khuzu, the thing is an arse.

I've even put in thunder res decorations and eaten for thunder res but I still triple cart after about thirty minutes - it's maddening. The stupid thing just won't die! And it's constantly on the wall. Really annoying.

And one time a flipping red khuzu showed up too so I had to fight then both and I'd only brought two dung bombs :(

How do I beat this damn thing?

Extra 60 defense and a Divine Protection? That makes sense for all weapon except Evasion+3 Lancing.
lol I can't lance to save my life, not even in the arena ;P

Why not? It's basically just more defense and a built-in Divine Blessing skill. Might be handy if you're worried about taking some hits.

I'm liable to hone for attack on my remaining heavy bowguns just because I can always swap in a shield if I really need to avoid being clobbered. But one of my light bowguns is defense honed just because I use it against stuff like Chameleos who can hit hard if I'm not careful.
Oh I eat hits often so this will work wonders. Now which one should I upgrade first I wonder? Guess it's time for a coin flip >.<

I've hit my first brick wall and it sucks. 8* caravan Khuzu, the thing is an arse.

I've even put in thunder res decorations and eaten for thunder res but I still triple cart after about thirty minutes - it's maddening. The stupid thing just won't die! And it's constantly on the wall. Really annoying.

And one time a flipping red khuzu showed up too so I had to fight then both and I'd only brought two dung bombs :(

What's your total armor stat? What skills do you have, and what is your weapon?

Shengar

Use fire weapon for the regular Khezu, upgrade your weapon if its take too long, and always keep your distance from it. The most important thing is, if you in front of it, always position yourself diagonally since its ground electric projectile attack doesn't spread too much unlike its red counterpart. If you run out of dung bomb, the you should farm and create for more since it'll makes your a whole lot of easier. Remember that you can produce copies of dung bomb at Wycoon.

Total Def 205, thunder res 15, I'm using the Elendscraft charge blade and don't have a fire one. Attack is 486. Posted by accident as a weird guy is taking to me at the station lol

Your armor needs to be over 300 to take on 8* caravan unless you are a dodging god. No wonder. Get yourself a HR armor set stat, and max it with Adv Armor Spheres. Also buy the armor thing that you keep in your inventory that boosts armor by 10. That should get you over 300, then the khezu will be MUCH easier.

Oh and your weapon is a rare 3. Get that up at least one more level. I'm not familiar with charge blades at all so I have no idea if that particular line is good or not.

Your armor needs to be over 300 to take on 8* caravan unless you are a dodging god. No wonder. Get yourself a HR armor set stat, and max it with Adv Armor Spheres. Also buy the armor thing that you keep in your inventory that boosts armor by 10. That should get you over 300, then the khezu will be MUCH easier.

Oh and your weapon is a rare 3. Get that up at least one more level. I'm not familiar with charge blades at all so I have no idea if that particular line is good or not.

OK, thanks! Didn't realise my gravios armor was underpowered already. I'm not a dodging god by any means lol.

Guess I'd better go and farm some hr armor then, might look for one with good thunder res. I'd thought of upgrading my CB but the next one needs S.Magala parts and I'm too lazy to farm him. I don't like farming in general really, I always feel like I'm making no actual progress through the game. Maybe I'll forge the fire CB too.

At least I can blame my poor performance on my equipment rather then my skill. It's weird, it's totally fine for 7* but 8* seems a whole different kettle of fish.

Deliver 2 Wyvern Eggs

Every avenue filled with cannon fodder who I'd otherwise destroy, but easily knock the eggs out of my hands.

Guess I'll have to try and kill the Rathalos again, but this time stock up on Mega Dash Juice to stay away from the Jaggis. Otherwise I'll have to farm to make some gear with Transporter skill probably :(

Shengar

Total Def 205, thunder res 15, I'm using the Elendscraft charge blade and don't have a fire one. Attack is 486. Posted by accident as a weird guy is taking to me at the station lol

Wow, how the hell do you survived that long in HR with a 1st tier LR weapon and (assumingly) patch of LR armor EDIT:(I guess not lol)? Take it easy, back away from that Khezu first and hunt some other monster that you can handle for their complete armor set. You clearly undergeared but it still amaze me that you can make it this far. I recommend Tetsucabra S set since they don't need any rare material to make and you clearly able to handle it. Also upgrade that weapon or craft a new one with a new element. Crafting new weapon doesn't make the old one completely obsolete since they have their own uses especially weapon with special attack properties.

OK, thanks! Didn't realise my gravios armor was underpowered already. I'm not a dodging god by any means lol.

Guess I'd better go and farm some hr armor then, might look for one with good thunder res. I'd thought of upgrading my CB but the next one needs S.Magala parts and I'm too lazy to farm him. I don't like farming in general really, I always feel like I'm making no actual progress through the game. Maybe I'll forge the fire CB too.

At least I can blame my poor performance on my equipment rather then my skill. It's weird, it's totally fine for 7* but 8* seems a whole different kettle of fish.
The amazing thing that makes MH so addictive and can offered hundred of hours of gameplay, is the fact that crafting or upgrading your gear could be counted as progress. It's like completing the trophy of the monster you just hunt, and you will used that trophy to hunt other monster.

tuffy

Deliver 2 Wyvern Eggs

Every avenue filled with cannon fodder who I'd otherwise destroy, but easily knock the eggs out of my hands.

Guess I'll have to try and kill the Rathalos again, but this time stock up on Mega Dash Juice to stay away from the Jaggis. Otherwise I'll have to farm to make some gear with Transporter skill probably :(
I never even bothered with a Transporter set. Just kill the big monster(s) first, find the egg spot, chug a Mega Dash Juice and hold down the dash button all the way to the red box. Have a map handy to go down alternate routes as the Magic Boulders appear. As long as you're dashing you should be fast enough to scurry ahead of the little monster attacks.

Wow, how the hell do you survived that long in HR with a 1st tier LR weapon and (assumingly) patch of LR armor EDIT:(I guess not lol)? Take it easy, back away from that Khezu first and hunt some other monster that you can handle for their complete armor set. You clearly undergeared but it still amaze me that you can make it this far. I recommend Tetsucabra S set since they don't need any rare material to make and you clearly able to handle it. Also upgrade that weapon or craft a new one with a new element. Crafting new weapon doesn't make the old one completely obsolete since they have their own uses especially weapon with special attack properties.

The amazing thing that makes MH so addictive and can offered hundred of hours of gameplay, is the fact that crafting or upgrading your gear could be counted as progress. It's like completing the trophy of the monster you just hunt, and you will used that trophy to hunt other monster.

Wow, so I've got some skill getting this far on my weak equipment, cool. Just me and my raw gaming talent. Learning the CB and how to maximise the charge etc has probably helped, that and a gallon of megas along the way lol.

I had the lr tetsu ages ago but I think maybe my Gravios set is weak hr? I've been upgrading with armour sphere+

Any how, I'll back away a bit and go farming. Shame I'm away all weekend as farming online is so much quicker.

I wouldn't worry about elemental resistance on armor. You can always eat to make up for that in the cases where that is relevant. You want armor that's going to get you through more than just that one fight. Look for skills that work for you and your playstyle.

Also, farming is kinda the name of the game here wrt equipment. For me, progress is measured by my gear, so farming IS progress to me! LOL. Anyway, to each his own.

Shengar

Wow, so I've got some skill getting this far on my weak equipment, cool. Just me and my raw gaming talent. Learning the CB and how to maximise the charge etc has probably helped, that and a gallon of megas along the way lol.

I had the lr tetsu ages ago but I think maybe my Gravios set is weak hr? I've been upgrading with armour sphere+

Any how, I'll back away a bit and go farming. Shame I'm away all weekend as farming online is so much quicker.

Yeah, MH is that type of game. Providing you have the skill, you could practically hunting naked and still kicking monster ass. But weapon undergearing is much more punishing since it's the only way you can deal damage while evading and blocking could be substitute for defense.

The thing with LR armor is that no matter how much you upgrade them, they'll still be inferior to their HR counterpart. Many latest LR have half defense rating of the earliest HR armor. Not only that, HR armor set gives you more active skill than their LR counterpart. But just like what I said before, you could hunt practically naked, so you can farm for just one HR armor and rocking it into G Rank. I've seen some people here who made it through High Rank and early G Rank with Velociprey S armor, one of the earliest HR armor available.

deim0s

So the glaive extended effect kinsect upgrade recipe, is it that strict? I made a glaive with a 114/96/147 stat... (Yes i probable chose a wrong nectar somewhere) it didnt feel anything different with my Daora glaive at 150.

Btw... Broke 1m zenny just selling those Pure Frenzy Crystals. If you need cash sell those. I get 10 per hunt (with gore) and ended with a stack of 296.

Shengar

So the glaive extended effect kinsect upgrade recipe, is it that strict? I made a glaive with a 114/96/147 stat... (Yes i probable chose a wrong nectar somewhere) it didnt feel anything different with my Daora glaive at 150.

Btw... Broke 1m zenny just selling those Pure Frenzy Crystals. If you need cash sell those. I get 10 per hunt (with gore) and ended with a stack of 296.

Have you choose the right bug? Stats is only perquisite for bug upgrade and how they perform in battle, but thing such as effect extender is tied to certain species of bugs.

Yup. On hitzones with less than 45, weakness exploit is useless.

This is strange. I thought it was 35 because I managed to stunlocked G rank Monoblos for quite sometime by hitting its head with my Diablos Z gunner set.

tm24

Theres an easy transporter set.

Ludroth Cap
Loc Loc Shawl
Gypceros Vambraces
Kut Ku Tassets
Loc Law Boots

Gives you Heat Cancel, Marathon Runner and Pro Transporter. If you have a talisman with a decent psychic stat and at least a 2 slot weapon, you can add Autotracker with Torso Up boots

deim0s

Have you choose the right bug? Stats is only perquisite for bug upgrade and how they perform in battle, but thing such as effect extender is tied to certain species of bugs.

Correct bug, Bilbobrix. I meant that the 147 speed didn't matter much.

Shengar

Correct bug, Bilbobrix. I meant that the 147 speed didn't matter much.

Oh, I thought you mean the effect extender. 3 point doesn't really make any difference honestly. It's the effect extender that matter. I haven't maxed the majority of my IG since its required tons of Large Elder Dragon Bone.

tm24

Spent 4 hours doing arena quests for my Black Belt Vambraces. Replaced them in 40 minutes with Crimson Fatalisclaws. >_<

This game

Is that the HR5 Urgent quest? (to rank up to HR6) or the next one? You're welcome to join us.

Definitely gg's last night, I might be home late tonight (~ 3am EST). I am free 5-7pm or after 3am. =\

Dang, night owl!? I just got comped some courtside tickets to a basketball game tonight so I might not get online until close to midnight pacific. I'll hit this board if I get on at that time.

Unicorn

May update better have Resetti!

Also, I'm thinking of delving into LBG. What separates them from HBG? I used to Bow in MH3U. Armor skills to use with LBG?

jorgejjvr

Here's a general tip (it has some exceptions and may be slightly exaggerated, but trust me):

Whenever you get into a new rank, the lowest armor from the new rank will always be stronger than the strongest armor from the previous rank.

For example, it's highly likely that the high rank great Jaggi armor is either much better than low rank Gravios, or about the same. So new rank means new armor ASAP.

Also, the same applies to weapons. If you upgrade your current charge blade once or twice, your attack will be around 500-700, you will have much better green Sharpness and possibly even good blue sharpness, and a better element. Will all this, that Khenzu you're having trouble with can be taken down in around less than ten minutes. Even faster with a fire weapon.

Monster hunter isn't a game where you hunt something once and move on. You MUST grind to survive and get the best gear.

-Alternis

Iryx

So nice when you get a good randoms, just got 3 Arena S ranks with one and he basically carried me trough the Kecha Wacha one. Just got 3 more S ranks left to get in the Gathering Hall, dunno if I feel like grinding out the G-rank ones.

tuffy

May update better have Resetti!

Also, I'm thinking of delving into LBG. What separates them from HBG? I used to Bow in MH3U. Armor skills to use with LBG?
Compared to an HBG, the LBG has:
  • fast movement speed while unsheathed
  • fast sheathe/unsheathe speeds
  • less damage per shot
  • a rapid-fire mechanic which turns a single bullet into a volley of several bullets
Rapid-fire is generally the LBG's biggest feature. In can turn one shot into 3 (or more) but at partial strength per shot for physical and elemental ammo. This ammo multiplication effect is especially useful for elemental shots which you can't carry many of.

So it's often recommended to use an LBG which fires elemental shots the monster is weak to and use skills like <Element> Atk +1/2/3, Bonus Shot (if you're willing to risk being held in place longer to fire that additional shot), Combination Pro (to make better use of your limited ammo combines) or just general-purpose evasion skills if necessary. It's a bit like Dual Blades or the Long Sword where one might have a wide arsenal covering lots of weaknesses and switch out as needed.

Compared to an HBG, the LBG has:
  • fast movement speed while unsheathed
  • fast sheathe/unsheathe speeds
  • less damage per shot
  • a rapid-fire mechanic which turns a single bullet into a volley of several bullets
Rapid-fire is generally the LBG's biggest feature. In can turn one shot into 3 (or more) but at partial strength per shot for physical and elemental ammo. This ammo multiplication effect is especially useful for elemental shots which you can't carry many of.

So it's often recommended to use an LBG which fires elemental shots the monster is weak to and use skills like <Element> Atk +1/2/3, Bonus Shot (if you're willing to risk being held in place longer to fire that additional shot), Combination Pro (to make better use of your limited ammo combines) or just general-purpose evasion skills if necessary. It's a bit like Dual Blades or the Long Sword where one might have a wide arsenal covering lots of weaknesses and switch out as needed.

This is a great description. I want to add a few things:
-Elemental shots have a low base damage + an elemental damage. When you rapid fire an elemental shot (correct me if I'm wrong), the base damage gets the .7x damage mod per shot, but the elemental part is at full strength every hit and from all distances (so no crit distance for the elemental part).
-Rapid Firing Crag/Clust shots. It's insanely strong, because each explosion is at full true-damage explosion strength. Basically, you get 27 Crag shots instead of 9, assuming you make them all count.

Dang, night owl!? I just got comped some courtside tickets to a basketball game tonight so I might not get online until close to midnight pacific. I'll hit this board if I get on at that time.
Lol, I'm going to a show tonight, so I won't get back til late. Honestly, I might have to rank up tomorrow.

This is a great description. I want to add a few things:
-Elemental shots have a low base damage + an elemental damage. When you rapid fire an elemental shot (correct me if I'm wrong), the base damage gets the .7x damage mod per shot, but the elemental part is at full strength every hit and from all distances (so no crit distance for the elemental part).
-Rapid Firing Crag/Clust shots. It's insanely strong, because each explosion is at full true-damage explosion strength. Basically, you get 27 Crag shots instead of 9, assuming you make them all count.
LBG sounds pretty beast. I am about to create a gunner set, but was going to use a Bow. These info's may change my mind though.

Top Bottom