• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

So I just took out Apex Gravios with just my cats...

zlCfzTNltcEJlcYfzf

Look how much time remained at the end.

Never fucking again.
But didn't you have fun? I live for solo hunts.

SuperSah

Banned
After the 20th or so Black Gravies hunt, I was prepared to throw my 3DS out of the window due to constant laser death on behalf of overly ambitious players and the full brutal force of the desire sensor..

until..

ZVuTIUk.gif

I got my second and final fucking Wyvern Gem after hours and hours of play across two day! Fuck yes!

upandaway

holy crap okay. I tried using my (underpowered) CB on a Stygian Zinogre.

He beat me so hard that at one point he slammed me off a cliff and I glitched through a wall. No words

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Anyone want to dilly-dally shilly-shally and do random Jap DLC quests; I reckon 70% is useless dummy items, but I'm still curious.

Tom_Cody

To preface this post this is my first MH, I am an archer, and I play 99% offline only.

I need some help MH-GAF.

I have hit my second wall. My first wall was LR Gore Magala. It took me three tries to beat him, but more than that it was a steep difficulty climb over everything else that had come previously. He could kill me in 2 hits and I had to learn to use items (traps and bombs) in order to get through the fight.

My second wall is more general. Now that I am on the second half of HR, each quest feels like a near impossible challenge. I triple carted on my first attempt against HR Tigrex (beat him on my second attempt) and I triple carted against the duo of Rathians and Seregios (haven't attempted those again).

In all of those fights, one solid hit takes 3/4 of my health! Which means that, even if I don't cart, I have to use two mega potions to get back to full health. If I only use one, then I will die on my next hit. This means that any hit sends me into a spiral of trying to evade and heal, which usually results in me carting anyway.

I'm fine on the offensive front. My bows are upgraded to where they should be and I'm usually making fast progress (broken parts, etc) by the time that I get taken out. The issue is simply that my defense is so lacking. It makes it not fun to play when you can only make 2 mistakes in a 20 minute fight.

What else can I do to help my defense? I am currently wearing HR Najarala armor, I eat for defense, and I have my 5 first string palicos set to health. My armor is partially upgraded up though Hard armor spheres (I don't get that many at my current point in the game).

Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't feel like my defense should be so woefully lacking. Or is this just what the endgame is like?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
To preface this post this is my first MH, I am an archer, and I play 99% offline only.

I need some help MH-GAF.

I have hit my second wall. My first wall was LR Gore Magala. It took me three tries to beat him, but more than that it was a steep difficulty climb over everything else that had come previously. He could kill me in 2 hits and I had to learn to use items (traps and bombs) in order to get through the fight.

My second wall is more general. Now that I am on the second half of HR, each quest feels like a near impossible challenge. I triple carted on my first attempt against HR Tigrex (beat him on my second attempt) and I triple carted against the duo of Rathians and Seregios (haven't attempted those again).

In all of those fights, one solid hit takes 3/4 of my health! Which means that, even if I don't cart, I have to use two mega potions to get back to full health. If I only use one, then I will die on my next hit. This means that any hit sends me into a spiral of trying to evade and heal, which usually results in me carting anyway.

I'm fine on the offensive front. My bows are upgraded to where they should be and I'm usually making fast progress (broken parts, etc) by the time that I get taken out. The issue is simply that my defense is so lacking. It makes it not fun to play when you can only make 2 mistakes in a 20 minute fight.

What else can I do to help my defense? I am currently wearing HR Najarala armor, I eat for defense, and I have my 5 first string palicos set to health. My armor is partially upgraded up though Hard armor spheres (I don't get that many at my current point in the game).

Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't feel like my defense should be so woefully lacking. Or is this just what the endgame is like?

It's because you're a gunner (well, bow user, but for the purposes of armor it's the same thing). Gunner armor has incredibly low defense to compensate for the fact that the whole purpose of gunning is to stay away from monsters. You can upgrade your armor, for sure, and that'll help a bit, but gunners just take way more damage than blademasters. The best advice I can give, even though it sounds sarcastic/elitist, is to not get hit. I mostly use melee weapons, but I gun every now and then, and depending on the monster, yeah, it can be really tough until you get their movements down.

tuffy

Weak as gunner armor is, that's too much health lost in a single hit. Hard armor spheres won't be something you can mine until G rank, so I'm assuming you've already maxed out your armor with all the Adv. Armor Spheres you can get already. If not, go on Volcanic Hollow harvest tours and collect spheres until you can upgrade no more.

Eat for defense. It's the milk + bread food combination if I remember correctly. If Felyne Defender (lo or hi) activates, there's a good chance of taking even less damage from a hit. Upgrade your canteen if necessary to get those food choices to have lots of stars.

Finally, wear a blademaster's helm if necessary; its max defense is a lot higher than the gunner one, though it may be tricky to make up the difference in skill points.

Tom_Cody

It's because you're a gunner (well, bow user, but for the purposes of armor it's the same thing). Gunner armor has incredibly low defense to compensate for the fact that the whole purpose of gunning is to stay away from monsters. You can upgrade your armor, for sure, and that'll help a bit, but gunners just take way more damage than blademasters. The best advice I can give, even though it sounds sarcastic/elitist, is to not get hit. I mostly use melee weapons, but I gun every now and then, and depending on the monster, yeah, it can be really tough until you get their movements down.
But the monsters I'm currently facing (HR Tigrex, Rathian, Seregios) are able to take 3/4 of my health on a single hit which makes fighting them a major nuisance. Even a single mistake results in dire consequences. In order to get back to a safe health zone I have to use two megapotions which means surviving the cycle of de-equipping my bow → healing → waiting for the animation to finish → healing again → waiting for the animation to finish again.

My normal flow of playing the game feels right as long as strong hits take only up to 40% of health, since then I can be confident that my palicoes will heal me before I take another hit. ~50% or greater damage changes everything.

I was really hoping for a better answer than 'git gud', unless this is simply what the rest of the game is going to feel like.

upandaway

Weak as gunner armor is, that's too much health lost in a single hit. Hard armor spheres won't be something you can mine until G rank, so I'm assuming you've already maxed out your armor with all the Adv. Armor Spheres you can get already. If not, go on Volcanic Hollow harvest tours and collect spheres until you can upgrade no more.
I- is it? Really?

Well um, huh. I'm using bladesmaster armor and every S.Zinogre hit cleaned 2/3 of my health, after eating for defense. I've been having a tough time in HR too... that explains things.

You can get Hard armor spheres in HR by the way, I have 10 and I'm only caravan HR. I think I got them from quest rewards.

Did you buy armor charm? what armorset are you wearing currently? You might as well consider setup Protection skill and also remember to eat food that boost defense before each fight

Shengar

It'll be anything and everything; just one and dones to see if they unlock anything.

Well we can try I guess.

I- is it? Really?

Well um, huh. I'm using bladesmaster armor and every S.Zinogre hit cleaned 2/3 of my health, after eating for defense. I've been having a tough time in HR too... that explains things.

You can get Hard armor spheres in HR by the way, I have 10 and I'm only caravan HR. I think I got them from quest rewards.

What armor? I'm using Rath Soul armor that have big Dragon negatives, rarely eat something that negate it and yet S Zin attack never close to take 2/3 of my health.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Well we can try I guess.

What armor? I'm using Rath Soul armor that have big Dragon negatives, rarely eat something that negate it and yet S Zin attack never close to take 2/3 of my health.
66 5591 9400 7940

Anyone welcome

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
How do I know if I wounded Dalamadur's breast? Is it just the small spikes at the breast breaking or is there another indicator? I've used some bombs but I didn't see anything further breaking. Need those Pectus...

*edit* Nevermind, I just rewatched GaijinHunters video and there it's quite broken and orange at the end, guess I didn't do enough damage.

Tom_Cody

Eat for defense. It's the milk + bread food combination if I remember correctly. If Felyne Defender (lo or hi) activates, there's a good chance of taking even less damage from a hit. Upgrade your canteen if necessary to get those food choices to have lots of stars.

Finally, wear a blademaster's helm if necessary; its max defense is a lot higher than the gunner one, though it may be tricky to make up the difference in skill points.
Yup, maxed out on Advanced. Armor Spheres. And I'm already eating for defense.

Hmm, I'll look over my skills and see if it makes sense to put on a blasemaster's helm.

Did you buy armor charm? what armorset are you wearing currently? You might as well consider setup Protection skill and also remember to eat food that boost defense before each fight
I'll also have to pick up one of these. And I'll take a look at my talismans to see if there are any useful defensive skills I can manage. I like my current range of skills, but I think I need to focus on this one stat for right now.

It looks like I'll just have to scrape together every bit of defense I can to get back into a relatively safer range. I should be ok if I can boost my defense by 10-20%.

tuffy

I- is it? Really?

Some hits are harder than others, naturally. But scrambling for the mega potions after every attack, especially as a blademaster, seems unusual. Hard Armor Spheres do turn up in high rank quest rewards, but there's no great options to get a lot of them fast like a G rank mining run would. So if you can't upgrade your armor any more, all I can think of is that your canteen needs more stars.

upandaway

Still using Velociprey S.

To be honest I've been really lazy with my questing, I haven't even repeated an HR quest once yet, and so I have no items to upgrade or make anything. By some fluke I managed to make the Seregios Hammer after hunting him once and it's pretty much my only usable weapon. Every other weapon (most of them still on LR levels, all of my lances ;_;) kills in like 25 minutes and I end up carting once every other quest. I'm a mess right now.

I should farm something... but I don't wanna... mannnn....

Beats

I'll also have to pick up one of these. And I'll take a look at my talismans to see if there are any useful skills defensive skills I can manage. I like my current range of skills, but I think I need to focus on this one stat for right now.

If you have access to Deviljho you can also make an Armor Talon which stacks with Armor Charm. You can make it using an Armor Charm and Deviljho Talon.

Still using Velociprey S.

To be honest I've been really lazy with my questing, I haven't even repeated an HR quest once yet, and so I have no items to upgrade or make anything. By some fluke I managed to make the Seregios Hammer after hunting him once and it's pretty much my only usable weapon. Every other weapon (most of them still on LR levels, all of my lances ;_;) kills in like 25 minutes and I end up carting once every other quest. I'm a mess right now.

I should farm something... but I don't wanna... mannnn....

If you're struggling, HR Gravios armor has good defense and Defense Up skill. Also, if you're using a weapon that guards, you can get a good skill for that as well.

As people have said, though, part of the learning process of this game is to avoid getting hit altogether. Don't worry about clearing as fast as possible. Just survive.
As reference, a group of us did about 6 or 7 Black Gravios runs last night. First couple runs, there was a cart or two. After that, each of us only got hit maybe twice each run. Except me because I suck.

Good morning Monster hunters! I just woke up, lol. Anyway I'll be opening up a gathering hall soon to help me progress through the ranks and to complete quests I have yet to complete. I think I also have a urgent quest (4>5) so I'll be doing that as well. Anybody can join if they want.

upandaway

If you're struggling, HR Gravios armor has good defense and Defense Up skill. Also, if you're using a weapon that guards, you can get a good skill for that as well.

As people have said, though, part of the learning process of this game is to avoid getting hit altogether. Don't worry about clearing as fast as possible. Just survive.
As reference, a group of us did about 6 or 7 Black Gravios runs last night. First couple runs, there was a cart or two. After that, each of us only got hit maybe twice each run. Except me because I suck.
Yeah Gravios looks like it would work, would be a pretty insane defense boost, especially if I make it for gunning it would double my defense. Also doesn't seem too hard to farm.

But man... farming Gravios... I don't know, man...

Tetsucabra S set gives Defense up (M) and Health+20 and sets up the Speed Sharpening skill which is nice. Imo the Tetsucabra is a great choice as you can fight the HR one in LW (I think the quest is called "Hammer Time"?) and he isn't hard to kill.

EDIT: Wait, I just checked...the quests is called Hammer it Out.

Yeah Gravios looks like it would work, would be a pretty insane defense boost, especially if I make it for gunning it would double my defense. Also doesn't seem too hard to farm.

Aw, Gravios is easy mode for a gunner. Get you a light bowgun in the Royal Launcher line and pelt him with rapid fire Water S shots. I don't think Gravios ever took me more than 10 minutes to beat.
Tuffy and I did some G Rank Gravios runs the other day with just us and our palicos, both using LBGs from the Royal line, and I think our normal time was 5-7 minutes. Water Shots melt him.

Aw, Gravios is easy mode for a gunner. Get you a light bowgun in the Royal Launcher line and pelt him with rapid fire Water S shots. I don't think Gravios ever took me more than 10 minutes to beat.
Tuffy and I did some G Rank Gravios runs the other day with just us and our palicos, both using LBGs from the Royal line, and I think our normal time was 5-7 minutes. Water Shots melt him.

Yeah, I know.

tuffy

I've done this, and it actually wasn't that bad. I just forged the best Ludroth LBG I could, either the Royal Torrent or Royal Inundation. I took the Gravios hunt-a-thon. Then I'd stay to his sides or back and kept pumping rapid-fire water shot into him. As long as you're away from his head and far enough back to avoid his ventings, the only thing to watch out for is his ridiculous roll. When he'd (slowly) rotate towards me, I'd just sheathe and scurry behind him again to repeat the process. I'd use 30 water shots on each of the first two, finished them off with a few normal shots, then turned in the ticket.

I need some help MH-GAF.

Nothing you can do other than getting a better armor and maybe some defensive skills like Defense Up and Evasion.

I'm not going to tell you how to play the game, but bow is not really the best weapon for newcomers, especially in the offline campaign. You have to be really good to solo with a bow.

upandaway

My only decent LBG was Demon's Island haha, I tried to bomb both him and B.Gravios and it took me way too long, 10 minutes for hunt-a-thon Gravios and 25 for B.Gravios. It's also really annoying that every beam is an OHKO and they spam it like it's christmas. When I used the Plesioth HBG the Gravios dropped like flies but I was also getting OHKO'd by beams way too often.

I need 1 Velocidrome claw to make the Royal Launcher. guhldfisughldsjhfgljkfsd

My only decent LBG was Demon's Island haha, I tried to bomb both him and B.Gravios and it took me way too long, 10 minutes for hunt-a-thon Gravios and 25 for B.Gravios. It's also really annoying that every beam is an OHKO and they spam it like it's christmas. When I used the Plesioth HBG the Gravios dropped like flies but I was also getting OHKO'd by beams way too often.

I need 1 Velocidrome claw to make the Royal Launcher. guhldfisughldsjhfgljkfsd

After a while, you'll notice the tells with the beams better. For High Rank Gravios, I believe he only has the straight-ahead beam and the one that starts to his left and pans horizontally. The straight ahead one is easy to dodge, but for the other the best option is, if you notice he's about to start, sheathe your weapon and run to his right. If you don't think you'll make it, superman dive through the beam. You get something like 2 seconds of invulnerability when you superman dive, and the beam will go right through you without hitting you. That saved me a billion times against B. Gravios.

Unrelated question - the Metroid stuff isn't out yet, right? I notice Kiranico says Event 7 will give stuff for the Arm Cannon, but I haven't seen that one yet.

Tom_Cody

I just checked the stats and it looks like it will simply be a trade off of elemental protection versus raw defense, which will be greatly beneficial to me in this situation. The skill points are exactly the same.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/najarala-cap-s
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/najarala-helm-s

Is there any downside? This is the first I've heard that caps/helms are interchangeable.

Nothing you can do other than getting a better armor and maybe some defensive skills like Defense Up and Evasion.

I'm not going to tell you how to play the game, but bow is not really the best weapon for newcomers, especially in the offline campaign. You have to be really good to solo with a bow.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been fine up until now. It just feels like there is something wrong with my load-outs at this current moment. If my defense were 10%-20% better I would be fine with the monsters I'm up against. I get hit very infrequently, its just that the current balance of monster offense versus my defense puts me into a crisis situation (the healing death cycle I described in a prior post) after a single hit.

Top Bottom