• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

If you feel the opening not long enough, wait for her to spew triple fireball, then use the new backstep fade slash with a finisher spirit combo finisher.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I give up on this stupidass fucking fight. Eight attempts tonight and I just keep carting over and over. I've got the best damn pieces of armor I can craft at the moment as well, I just get poisoned constantly. She never focuses on the cats, she just constantly, relentlessly attacks me over and over until I'm dead

PKrockin

Oh yeah, also, attacks that both poison and stun you are still the stupidest bullshit ever
That's like any attack that poisons. Getting stunned is a matter of taking enough hits in a short enough time period, especially stronger hits. Aside from Najarala's scale shockwave trap and Gypceros's flash, which are instant stuns.

You shouldn't be getting hit by Pink Rathian's tail that much. Learn the tell for the ground to air sweeping tail flip and roll out of its range or right through it. Get out of the way of potential tail flips when she's in the air, because that's almost certainly what she's going to do.

How the hell do you ever find an opening to combo off on a Pink Rathian?
I don't know much about longsword, but when she fireballs triple fireballs, those are big openings. Rathian, being a first generation monster, still has a holdover from those shittier times in the form of that 1-frame charge. I just always assume she's going to do that, and get out from in front of her just before she could potentially do it.

Charge into me -> stun -> flip to poison -> fireball no fucking action I can take between full health and carting
You don't just get stunned out of nowhere by one move. You must have taken at least one big hit within seconds of getting hit by the charge, or more hits over a relatively longer period. Stun damage on hunters goes down very quickly unlike KO damage to monsters. Unless maybe you have a -Stun armor skill...?

Mega props to tuffy for helping me get through the remaining 5 G2 quests. Brachy+S.Zinogre was a little tough, but no carts outside of that, and I think our average time was sub-10-minutes. Diablos, B. Diablos, and Chaotic Gore were... surprisingly easy. And that was just with us and our cats.
Also ended up with a Tigrex Mantle and a Contrary Scale, so woo!
Great night to be a monster hunter.

Shengar

You don't just get stunned out of nowhere by one move. You must have taken at least one big hit within seconds of getting hit by the charge, or more hits over a relatively longer period. Stun damage on hunters goes down very quickly unlike KO damage to monsters. Unless maybe you have a -Stun armor skill...?

The only potentially stunning move I can think off is her Triple Charge attack. You know, the moves where she just basically charge you but do it three times in a row? I think many people don't realize that move is separate from her basic charge move, as indicated that she quickly turned on to you after the first and second charge then third charge end with a bite.

I give up on this stupidass fucking fight. Eight attempts tonight and I just keep carting over and over. I've got the best damn pieces of armor I can craft at the moment as well, I just get poisoned constantly. She never focuses on the cats, she just constantly, relentlessly attacks me over and over until I'm dead

I've found when I'm really struggling, I cheese my way through it. Bring traps and combos for more traps. Bring flash bombs and combos for more flash bombs. Leave the area to heal so that you don't get trapped.

PKrockin

The only potentially stunning move I can think off is her Triple Charge attack. You know, the moves where she just basically charge you but do it three times in a row? I think many people don't realize that move is separate from her basic charge move, as indicated that she quickly turned on to you after the first and second charge then third charge end with a bite.
Ah right I forgot about that one. Forget the poison, that is the move that will wreck your life if you can't anticipate it.

DooD1234

Anyone want to help me hunt some G1 hermitaurs? Seems no one is joining me and the ones that do gets carted rather easily.

ID is 08-0660-3673-8156

Shengar

Ah right I forgot about that one. Forget the poison, that is the move that will wreck your life if you can't anticipate it.

Single charge attack gives a lot of opening since not only does she end her attack with a bite, she took time to turn on you and most of she followed it with a fire blast. But if it turned to be her triple charge attack, good luck since there's no animation transition from turning to charging.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The move that's wrecking me is the circular tail sweep which not only does not appear to have any blind spot that I can determine but seems to hit beyond a single roll away, meaning I have about an eighth of a second to recognize the animation and pull off a double roll or there's no way to avoid being hit

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The move that's wrecking me is the circular tail sweep which not only does not appear to have any blind spot that I can determine but seems to hit beyond a single roll away, meaning I have about an eighth of a second to recognize the animation and pull off a double roll or there's no way to avoid being hit
You should be rolling into the legs as a LS when that happens, otherwise, roll to the side it just swept.

Yrael

I use a switch axe against every monster. With Pink Rathian, your best bet is to chop off her tail as quickly as you can, since the fight loses a lot of difficulty once this has happened. When she swoops left/right in the air to reposition herself, she'll usually follow that up immediately with a somersault, so prepare to dodge left/right the moment you see this happening. Flash bombs help too. It's also usually best to stand to her right (ie. your left), since her flaming bite of death always goes in one direction.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I use a switch axe against every monster. With Pink Rathian, your best bet is to chop off her tail as quickly as you can, since the fight loses a lot of difficulty once this has happened. When she swoops left/right in the air to reposition herself, she'll usually follow that up immediately with a somersault, so prepare to dodge left/right the moment you see this happening. Flash bombs help too. It's also usually best to stand to her right (ie. your left), since her flaming bite of death always goes in one direction.

Also standing in front of her is just bad news in general.

Dude, pink rathian was my wall for a while. I made a set of gypceros s specifically to beat her. Do it.

Oh and ignore the shit fire defense of gypceros s. Just eat for firestarter and you will be fine. It's the poison resist that helps so much with that fight. The stamina skill was really nice too as a dB user.

edit. Shit sorry I meant gypceros s.

DooD1234

Alright, thx 4 helping PKrocking. I only needed a few stuff from the crab but ransoms was making it hard for me tonight for some reason. They are usually not that bad in my experience lol. Now to look for a HBG. I think I will go Daora.

Mzo

You can roll into her legs to avoid it or, if you are baller, you can roll through it with your invincibility frames.

Or you could block it, depending on your weapon.

The -ians are really easy for me, maybe because they've been around since the first game. They've never given me any trouble.

Mzo

Yeah, I'm using a version for my GS. Posted the pic earlier in the thread.

I miss the punish draw and heat resist extras I had on my BaiBaiKaiser set.

Is brutality a useful skill? The reason I ask is because between my two rebellion chests they have +5 in each and with torso up I get the skill easily.

No unless you're hammer/HH user or cragshot bowgunner.
This is the only skill that makes me hesitant to craft brachydium armor.
That's what I thought. Guess I'll stick with brutality at least when I use the GS with that I can always get the benefit of quick charge times.

*though right now it doesn't do much with me using the IG :p

PrankT

140 cham?
Ok I made a couple anti-chameleos sets better than the one I had yesterday. The horn is still the main item, but now one set has honed blade, challenger 2, latent power 2 (or rock steady and latent power 1). The second set has honed blade and evasion 3. Not sure why I'm bothering since I hardly ever play against chameleos and he's not much fun, but oh well...there was a horn I had to make.

Damn this Kushala Daora. Solo-ed a high rank guild quest Kushala and took me 30 mins. Absolutely hated his wind armor shit.

I use Charge Blade. When he's flying with wind armor, I just use axe mode to try to cut him down. But after getting in only 1 hit, I get pushed back by the wind armor.

Besides gemming armor for windpress, any tips on taking him out faster?

PrankT

Damn this Kushala Daora. Solo-ed a high rank guild quest Kushala and took me 30 mins. Absolutely hated his wind armor shit.

I use Charge Blade. When he's flying with wind armor, I just use axe mode to try to cut him down. But after getting in only 1 hit, I get pushed back by the wind armor.

Use flash bombs. You could also use poison, but that requires making a new weapon and shouldn't be needed.

Leezard

Get a poison weapon, it makes the right much easier as it reduces the wind.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ok I made a couple anti-chameleos sets better than the one I had yesterday. The horn is still the main item, but now one set has honed blade, challenger 2, latent power 2 (or rock steady and latent power 1). The second set has honed blade and evasion 3. Not sure why I'm bothering since I hardly ever play against chameleos and he's not much fun, but oh well...there was a horn I had to make.
I eventually want to make a set for each of the Elder Dragons. I only specialize on Cham because I grinded it to 140.

Poisoning him messes with his wind and flashbombs can help.

is someone interested in farming chaos gore? I'm into this and don't have the quest unlocked yet.
Or I would gladly participate in some G2 quests...

PKrockin

I just farmed Diablos and Black Diablos for a bit for hardhorns. I pretty much broke the horns singlehandedly with sword and shield by style bombing them when nobody else was nearby to get hit by the explosion. Lots of fun.

They kind of screwed up Diablos in this game though. All he and Black Diablos really do is charge back and forth most of the time. They were more fun in 3U when they used more of their moveset.

redcrayon

My Ruby Basarios guild quest is levelling up nicely, sitting on 110 at the moment. Getting quite tough as a single player though, my last run had a Deviljho shadowing me the whole time, annoying as I had some great loot from a treasure area that randomly attached itself for that one quest.

Wolfe

Full sets still seem weird to me, but everyone seems to go for them.

It's funny but my first encounter with an elitist asshole online went something like this:

-join a G room with randoms and do a few hunts without much problem.
-at this point someone leaves and a rajang mix set CB user joins but says nothing.
-don't remember the fight but by this point I was really tired and ended up playing poorly and carting twice over a decent period of time (someone else carted between those times).
-we return to the lobby and I tell everyone I'm sorry about the performance and I need to take off due to being tired but during this time rajang mix guy was also typing and as I'm saying that he says something to the effect of "you guys need to get real sets, not just full sets" and something else I can't recall word for word but basically burned down to "learn to play".
-at this point he immediately leaves the lobby before anyone has the chance to respond (of course).

I was a little surprised as I'd yet seen such asshole behavior in the game yet but it also made me laugh at the thought of everyone running around in rajang mix sets as I like to imagine was his desire.

Hell I have two mix sets, one of them being the rajang mix but in the end I rarely use them as I just prefer the look of full sets and I like the large amount of skills you typically get with each. Granted if there was a badass mixed set that also looked really cool (the male rajang pieces are just too bright and poofy for me, female version looks much better in this instance) I would prolly be all over it haha.

Fashion hunter 4 life I guess.

redcrayon

Full sets still seem weird to me, but everyone seems to go for them.
I like my full Gog set, it looks cool and both awakens the element on my lance and gives me expert. My gems and talisman give me 'guard up' and 'protection' too. Sure I could add something else, but it's high base defence pretty much counts as 'defence up' vs adding a different piece.

It's probably not 'optimum' but I've never been that kind of player.
It's funny but my first encounter with an elitist asshole online went something like this:

If players are double carting at G-rank, they just have a lot more to learn vs those particular monsters than just having a slightly better skill set will fix. Assuming everyone on your team has learned the G-rank pattern of a beast is foolish, everyone has to learn and I pack Dust of Life and Lifepowder to help less experienced hunters gain that xp.

I mean, I'm still struggling to beat Rajang offline, in a set custom made to counter him. I can't believe a hunter with plenty of experience would get so mad at a single failed hunt. Usually the hunters with ridiculously high 150+ HR are really cool, rather than telling players with hundreds of hours less experience to 'git gud'. That's just being an arsehole. Failing a quest now and then is good for the soul. It reminds you you're part of a team, and if you're the best guy on it, being a wanker isn't helping. Offering a few tips then going in again is how I handle a fail, sure I might quietly leave after two in a row if the team isn't learning at all, but after 500+ hours in monster hunter games over the last few years, it's not like a lost ten minutes of progress is anything worth getting mad over.

Much like MMOs, some players seem to think that the dogged pursuit of optimum gear is the only way to show how capable you are to the players who examine each others kit, where it's evident after five minutes who can hunt a particular mark and who can't. Some like me are quite happy to just look cool as long as they aren't too far behind to min/max crowd. I've seen plenty of hunters in sub-optimal gear who are far better all-rounders than guys who have spent thankless tens of hours grinding out their 'perfect' set. Even at G-rank, having three hours of experience fighting a monster is worth more than spendng three hours grinding out a set to fight it.

I once saw a G2 hunter repeatedly examine other hunters, and then kick anyone who wasn't suitably kitted and G3 crowned who turned up to help him with his urgent. When he said 'don't want people who aren't pros', I left in disgust at his attitude towards players of a similar rank offering to help him, and only him, advance. It's not a race, it's supposed to be fun.

redcrayon

(the male rajang pieces are just too bright and poofy for me, female version looks much better in this instance) I would prolly be all over it haha.

Fashion hunter 4 life I guess.

Also that's not cool dude.

Edit: sorry Wolfe, ignore my foreigner ways, see below

I'm only building this mixed set because it complements my Brachy CB so well. Blast procs for days. Also great with the various maxed weapons I have that refuse to get a bar of purple.

Meanwhile I have my Seregios and Narg G rank sets. Love the Narg set with Evasion+3 and Evade Dist. It makes Brachydios trivial!

I feel like I would generally go full set because there aren't a ton of mixed sets that actually look good. Also most mixed sets require charming/gemming and I'm still not entirely endgame enough at this point to provide for those sets, so the bonuses of full set's skill lists are more pronounced to me.

redcrayon

I'm only building this mixed set because it complements my Brachy CB so well. Blast procs for days. Also great with the various maxed weapons I have that refuse to get a bar of purple.

Meanwhile I have my Seregios and Narg G rank sets. Love the Narg set with Evasion+3 and Evade Dist. It makes Brachydios trivial!

I feel like I would generally go full set because there aren't a ton of mixed sets that actually look good. Also most mixed sets require charming/gemming and I'm still not entirely endgame enough at this point to provide for those sets, so the bonuses of full set's skill lists are more pronounced to me.
That Narg set sounds very good, I may have to make one!

That Narg set sounds very good, I may have to make one!

You'll need to farm for Skymeralds from Zinogre. Since Zinogre is such a cool fight, I wasn't terribly salt over how low the drop chance was for them.

It's also nice because it has those two abilities innate, and a +4 in handicraft with plenty of slots to gem or charm in.

redcrayon

You'll need to farm for Skymeralds from Zinogre. Since Zinogre is such a cool fight, I wasn't terribly salt over how low the drop chance was for them.

It's also nice because it has those two abilities innate, and a +4 in handicraft with plenty of slots to gem or charm in.
Aargh, I think I may have used my skymeralds for a lance ages ago... Ah well, I'm sure I'll get them in time.

redcrayon

Poofy as in poofy/puffy like a sheep. Don't get worked up over something so silly.
I'm not, but you shouldn't have such a lack of understanding of what words mean in other places on an international forum. You said 'bright and poofy' not 'puffy', which is a pretty nasty slur where I'm from. it's hardly my fault for assuming you meant what you said considering the context. Still, if you just spelt the word you actually meant wrong, fair enough.

Top Bottom