• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

cheesekao

Don't have such a lack of understanding of what words mean on an international forum. You said 'bright and poofy' not 'puffy', it's hardly my fault for assuming you meant what you said.
Poofy is widely used a slang for puffy. Hardly anyone uses the second meaning to begin with so I don't know why you would assume that he meant that.

redcrayon

Poofy is widely used a slang for puffy. Hardly anyone uses the second meaning to begin with so I don't know why you would assume that he meant that.
What? Since when is 'poofy' a widely used second meaning for puffy? Ask anyone from the UK or Aus over the age of 20 or so what Poof/poofy/poofta means and they won't say 'you look like a sheep'. That's not 'hardly anyone' on an english-speaking board, and having a bit of an understanding of what words are offensive elsewhere isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for the explanation though.

cheesekao

What? Since when is 'poofy' a widely used second meaning for puffy? Ask anyone from the UK over the age of 20 or so what Poof/poofy/poofta means and they won't say 'you look like a sheep'. That's not 'hardly anyone' on an english-speaking board, and having a bit of an understanding of what words are offensive elsewhere isn't a bad thing.
Nobody uses the word poofy as a derogatory term when I talk to people where I live in and also with foreigners. I assume that 'poofy' as an insult is a UK thing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/poofy

redcrayon

Nobody uses the word poofy as a derogatory term where I live so I would assume it's a UK thing.
Sure, I'm from the UK, and grew up when it was used as a pretty nasty slur all the time. Sorry for my reaction to an honest mistake (nations divided by a common language and all that) but presumably you can understand why. I'm sure US posters are on board with the idea of words having more power considering local context.

Just because it's only a UK/Aus thing doesn't mean it's pointless to be aware of it, the more you know etc.

cheesekao

Sure, I'm from the UK, and grew up when it was used as a pretty nasty slur all the time. Sorry for my reaction to an honest mistake but presumably you can understand why. I'm sure US posters are on board with the idea of words having more power considering local context.
It's all right man. Just remember that on the internet, generally speaking, "a poofy clothing" generally means "a fluffy or puffy clothing".

Faiz

25 Seregios for a Lens. Not great but could have been worse and at least it's done. Now I get to go through charms and see what the best case is for gemming right now.

Fire sale on Airblade/slavescale+ at my house! Haha

Wolfe

Yes I meant to type poofy, ie: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poofy

I apologize for the confusion. Though if you're going to tell someone to be aware of words that are bad in one country, then on the flip side you have too keep in mind that in some countries they may not be bad and may even be common use words. (I know it's been dropped but as the reason the convo came up I wanted to give my 2 cents)

Again, apologies for the confusion, I was just trying to say the armor didn't much appeal to me visually, especially when in mixed set form.

redcrayon

Yes I meant to type poofy, ie: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poofy

I apologize for the confusion. Though if you're going to tell someone to be aware of words that are bad in one country, then on the flip side you have too keep in mind that in some countries they may not be bad and may even be common use words. (I know it's been dropped but as the reason the convo came up I wanted to give my 2 cents)

Again, apologies for the confusion, I was just trying to say the armor didn't much appeal to me visually, especially when in mixed set form.
Hey, it was my fault, sorry again, I didn't want to remove my post so added an apology instead. It's not just me being British but a generational thing too, apparently- I'm 36 and my urban dictionary as a teenager in London was very different.

Consider it moved on from :)

I did also add a lengthy response agreeing with you about rude hunters too.

redcrayon

25 Seregios for a Lens. Not great but could have been worse and at least it's done. Now I get to go through charms and see what the best case is for gemming right now.

I got away with around 20 of them, he was a tough fight considering my gear at the time, too. A bit annoying that the 'bleed' skill you get from his armour is only useful vs, er, seregios though! Maybe it'll be of use fighting Apex Seregios, but I think I need a higher base defence for that. Steady Hand is a great skill though. I wish I could have it on every set as a lancer, it's up there with guard-up as one of my favourites.

J0dy77

Does anyone have a good guide for understanding armor and how it works? I'm about 30 hours in and have completed the first 4 sections of the caravan quests but have no idea how to proceed with armor.

My one major complaint with the game right now is the armor interface and understanding how things work. I'll go out and do a quest, get some new mats and then see armor I have no idea if it is good or not. Then I look at the weapons and have no idea what I should craft.

I've been using the Long Sword exclusively and switched from the curviseca to the Ice weapon. What I'm really looking for is a guide that says craft this long sword for this part of the game, with "X" armor and then evolve to "X" weapon over time.

I'd also like to get a better understanding of how the stats work, do I really need 10 of a skill to activate or does any +atk, +ice work by having it on armor?

Shengar

I just farmed Diablos and Black Diablos for a bit for hardhorns. I pretty much broke the horns singlehandedly with sword and shield by style bombing them when nobody else was nearby to get hit by the explosion. Lots of fun.

They kind of screwed up Diablos in this game though. All he and Black Diablos really do is charge back and forth most of the time. They were more fun in 3U when they used more of their moveset.
Yeah, Diablos in this is really easy. Their hitboxes become even tighter and smaller this time around, I noticed this because I never got hit by their frontal charge whenever I rolled to their side, a very different experience from 3U where I have to time my dodge really at the right moment. That's okay, good move even as nothing particularly irk me more than broken hitbox, but what make me disappointed that their behavior got significantly worse. Black Diablos burrow (u-turn) charge is good, but she and Diablos somehow only spam their charge move. In 3U, they used more varied moveset. They'll try to swoop you with their horn, swinging their tail, and of course use a hipcheck against an opponent that really close to them.
I was a little surprised as I'd yet seen such asshole behavior in the game yet but it also made me laugh at the thought of everyone running around in rajang mix sets as I like to imagine was his desire.

Hell I have two mix sets, one of them being the rajang mix but in the end I rarely use them as I just prefer the look of full sets and I like the large amount of skills you typically get with each. Granted if there was a badass mixed set that also looked really cool (the male rajang pieces are just too bright and poofy for me, female version looks much better in this instance) I would prolly be all over it haha.

Fashion hunter 4 life I guess.
Skills is a thing that nice to have, but not a must. If someone could hunt something practically naked, then organic skill is what most important. If I can hunt rather effectively with full set, why I must makes myself looks like a clown just for a minute difference? I'm still care about efficiency but it is not an absolute for me.
If players are double carting at G-rank, they just have a lot more to learn vs those particular monsters than just having a slightly better skill set will fix. Assuming everyone on your team has learned the G-rank pattern of a beast is foolish, everyone has to learn and I pack Dust of Life and Lifepowder to help less experienced hunters gain that xp.
The thing with double carting is never as easy to boil it down to "git gud on this monster". Everyone have their bad form day. Maybe they play for 4 hours straight without a break, or perhaps they just got home after tiring day with a lot of shit happened. Even then, there is more than one instance where the game really try to fuck you up. Konchu roll onto you while to try avoid an otherwise avoidable beam, a B. Gravios that used its farting move after you're being cornered. When people die from silly reason like this, it's most likely they carted again afterward because they can't cool their head.

Congrats, so do you farm it for Regios X armor? That armor is a good set, two triple gem sockets with a very nice skill combination and easily ignored negative. It's best used with Sregios weapon, but you can also combined it with other weapon. The only reason I stopped using it is because it have too many naughty window on the female armor version (Rath Soul Z is infinitely cooler anyway).

I'd also like to get a better understanding of how the stats work, do I really need 10 of a skill to activate or does any +atk, +ice work by having it on armor?

The former is right. To activate, let say Ice Attack+1. you need 10 points in Ice skill. You can add another 5 point of it for Ice Attack+2 and even more 5 point for the strongest version of the skill that is Ice Attack+3.

redcrayon

The thing with double carting is never as easy to boil it down to "git gud on this monster". Everyone have their bad form day. Maybe they play for 4 hours straight without a break, or perhaps they just got home after tiring day with a lot of shit happened. Even then, there is more than one instance where the game really try to fuck you up. Konchu roll onto you while to try avoid an otherwise avoidable beam, a B. Gravios that used its farting move after you're being cornered. When people die from silly reason like this, it's most likely they carted again afterward because they can't cool their head.
Yeah, that's true. I always seem to cart in any match with Rajang due to his electro-beam hitting me while he can't be seen and is miles away/behind other large monsters/other small monsters/rocks/hills/aircraft carriers. I need to learn to keep him in my sights, maybe I should focus on taking him out first, rather than the common wisdom of dealing with the easier threat first. Those Konchu are really annoying, too.

Agree on players carting then charging back in, determined to avenge themselves, only to faint immediately due to hotheadedness.

Players can also mess up other players by swatting them with weapons when they are trying to dodge/block etc. I practically never use my lance charge online because of that, whenever I line it up, a hunter goes dashing across me and I have to desperately grind to a halt to avoid 'helping them gain valuable air time'. :) Most annoying for me is the Gravios fart attacks, when I can block them but someone is always standing next to me waving their longsword, ensuring we both get hit. I had a great hunt this week with a hammer, ls and greatsword user where we were fighting a Kirin, and spread out, making sure that wherever it moved to, one of us could keep chipping away at it.

Congrats, so do you farm it for Regios X armor? That armor is a good set, two triple gem sockets with a very nice skill combination and easily ignored negative. It's best used with Sregios weapon, but you can also combined it with other weapon. The only reason I stopped using it is because it have too many naughty window on the female armor version (Rath Soul Z is infinitely cooler anyway).
That's what I wanted it for, the Regiox X faulds.

I found it funny that people with G rank crown still couldn't use mini-map and got lost, or they decided to say f you team and went mining somewhere else ~.~ happened 5 times in a row in my Teostra GQ

redcrayon

I found it funny that people with G rank crown still couldn't use mini-map and got lost, or they decided to say f you team and went mining somewhere else ~.~ happened 5 times in a row in my Teostra GQ
Yeah, they are far more interested in mining for weapons/armour as that's often their primary reason for joining it.

I posted a guild quest with a treasure area once and it was like the gold rush, a Deviljho and a crab looking on as the party ran straight past them for the loot!

Shengar

I've seen people stay a while in an area to mine, but never actually see someone who ignore the monsters completely. It's more often for the team to ignore treasure area completely in my experience even!

redcrayon

I've seen people stay a while in an area to mine, but never actually see someone who ignore the monsters completely. It's more often for the team to ignore treasure area completely in my experience even!
Depends what the weapon bias of the GQ is, perhaps. And usually they turn up after a minute or two, dragging a sack of loot behind them.

I'm mainly loving treasure areas for the extra abrasives at the moment!

I think I might get back into the B Gravios farming mode to get a Pallium or 2. I've downed 20 and still no luck (ugh).
I think I might even make a Water Atk armor set for it - any suggestions for a bowgunner?

Yeah, they are far more interested in mining for weapons/armour as that's often their primary reason for joining it.

I posted a guild quest with a treasure area once and it was like the gold rush, a Deviljho and a crab looking on as the party ran straight past them for the loot!

Why on earth would they want to mine Champion stuffs instead of killing the monster to get Beshackled reward though? GQ lv was 133 so I'm pretty sure you couldnt mine Beshackled even in a treasure area.

Shengar

Depends what the weapon bias of the GQ is, perhaps. And usually they turn up after a minute or two, dragging a sack of loot behind them.

I'm mainly loving treasure areas for the extra abrasives at the moment!
Does abrasive that important? They're usually what I tossed after common minerals to have a room for cathangea anything.
Well, I haven't got any must used relic weapon though.
I think I might get back into the B Gravios farming mode to get a Pallium or 2. I've downed 20 and still no luck (ugh).
I think I might even make a Water Atk armor set for it - any suggestions for a bowgunner?

If you have good charm and used LBG, try Ace/Sororal set with a Esurient/Vangis waist piece.
If not, Helios/Selene X or Najarala Z is a pretty good alternative too.

tuffy

My Gravios set is just full Sororal for Fleet Feet and Bonus Shot, with Water Atk +3 from charm + decorations. It comes naturally with 20 fire resistance which is plenty in case I take one of those fire beams.

redcrayon

Why on earth would they want to mine Champion stuffs instead of killing the monster to get Beshackled reward though? GQ lv was 133 so I'm pretty sure you couldnt mine Beshackled even in a treasure area.
I don't think everyone knows exactly how the chances of good loot in a guild quest works as it isn't explained in-game, that's a pretty good explanation for virtually all weird behaviour in MH. There are plenty of G-rank players who still don't seem to know what a Wystone is or does as it's only mentioned on page three of the relevant quests online, for example.

Some players seem to permanently have a guide open next to them for monster weaknesses, loot locations etc, some are happy to just wing it and make mistakes that seem bizarre to players in the know. I know I must have done, several times over, I hope it wasn't too annoying for them!

I'd love to see a beautiful hardback guide to MH's systems with lots of lovely art that I can peruse, but I suppose everyone prefers Kiranco on their phone :) It's certainly something that's kept me coming back to the series, I've spent more time with it than any other franchise over the years and still only feel like I've scratched the surface compared to the info available online.

redcrayon

Does abrasive that important? They're usually what I tossed after common minerals to have a room for cathangea anything.
Well, I haven't got any must used relic weapon though.
Kinda depends how many relics you have, and how picky you are about polishing them. I remember having far more of the quality abrasives than I needed, but struggling to find awesome abrasives for ages.

Leezard

Full najarala z is the easiest way. Mixed najarala z and sororal can give you some extra defensive skills.

redcrayon

What's a good G rank full set for GS? I don't really feel like doing the mixing thing at the moment after the hassle of getting the Dokudora template.
Seregios seems really popular for blademasters, but you might want something tougher for late G rank. What do you have access to, are you just entering G rank now, or are you looking for a final set?

Holy good responses, batman!

Got a room you're hunting him in?
Can't play right now, unfortunately. Maybe later tonight. If you're on, I'll hit you up for it.

My Gravios set is just full Sororal for Fleet Feet and Bonus Shot, with Water Atk +3 from charm + decorations. It comes naturally with 20 fire resistance which is plenty in case I take one of those fire beams.
That sounds 100% awesome. If I can make it, I'll probably do that.

If you have good charm and used LBG, try Ace/Sororal set with a Esurient/Vangis waist piece.
If not, Helios/Selene X or Najarala Z is a pretty good alternative too.

Thanks to tuffy and I's runs last night, I can probably start working on Helios X if I need to. That one looks pretty sweet.

Full najarala z is the easiest way. Mixed najarala z and sororal can give you some extra defensive skills.

Sweet, thanks, I'll use this as a last resort.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone! Now I just need that damn G Plesioth to show up. I've needed 1 fin for about 3 weeks now to make the Plesioth Drencher.

redcrayon

Final G, I've got the special permit and am gradually translating scrolls.
Have you got a specific GS with elemental/status properties you want to work with it (last question, honest!)

I went for Gog as my best lance at the time needed it's element awakening, but now I'm thinking about something new too.

Have you got a specific GS with elemental/status properties you want to work with it (last question, honest!)

I went for Gog as my best lance at the time needed it's element awakening, but now I'm thinking about something new too.

I haven't gotten the Gog stuff as I've only been able to run him once with my usual group (awesome fight), but I have the Cera Cymmetry which seems to be the most popular GS online at the moment. So raw damage, not elemental.

tuffy

That sounds 100% awesome. If I can make it, I'll probably do that.
And for what it's worth, the 10* Caravan Shrouded Nerscylla quest is the easiest way to get the 8 Ace Tickets the set needs. With a lot of practice and a lot of pierce lv. 1 shots, I was getting sub-5 minute runs by the end of it.

redcrayon

I haven't gotten the Gog stuff as I've only been able to run him once with my usual group (awesome fight), but I have the Cera Cymmetry which seems to be the most popular GS online at the moment. So raw damage, not elemental.
Hmm, what do you of the full Najarala outfit? I imagine the bonuses to evasion would help you out? Admittedly I'm probably not the best person to ask, maybe some other GS players can advise based on the info!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You can roll into her legs to avoid it or, if you are baller, you can roll through it with your invincibility frames.

Or you could block it, depending on your weapon.

The -ians are really easy for me, maybe because they've been around since the first game. They've never given me any trouble.

They don't normally give me any trouble, but it seems like Pink Rathian uses her poison attacks with greater frequency than I recall in the past

4 heart-stopping beaks from one tidal narj in the everwoods? Why couldn't those have been jho crooks instead? :p then again, I don't wanna know where the other 3 beaks were found!

Rawk Hawk

Well had parts to make the Rare 9 Seregios Hammer.. so going to learn some hammer! Been wanting to give it a go, just happen to be the only rare 9 I could currently make. Right now I'm sporting Regios X with Evasion +3 slotted in. Mainly a switch axe user, but do like to lance a little, and the evasion is nice for both. Just not sure if I want that on hammer.

What do you guys make sure to have on your hammer armor? I'm thinking HGE or maybe Adrenaline (not use to being in somethings face...).

And for what it's worth, the 10* Caravan Shrouded Nerscylla quest is the easiest way to get the 8 Ace Tickets the set needs. With a lot of practice and a lot of pierce lv. 1 shots, I was getting sub-5 minute runs by the end of it.

Nice! I feel like I felled him proportionately faster than other 10* Caravan monsters, so I'm not too worried about it. It was one of those... Oh... he's dead... well that was quick.

Mzo

It's funny but my first encounter with an elitist asshole online went something like this:

-join a G room with randoms and do a few hunts without much problem.
-at this point someone leaves and a rajang mix set CB user joins but says nothing.
-don't remember the fight but by this point I was really tired and ended up playing poorly and carting twice over a decent period of time (someone else carted between those times).
-we return to the lobby and I tell everyone I'm sorry about the performance and I need to take off due to being tired but during this time rajang mix guy was also typing and as I'm saying that he says something to the effect of "you guys need to get real sets, not just full sets" and something else I can't recall word for word but basically burned down to "learn to play".
-at this point he immediately leaves the lobby before anyone has the chance to respond (of course).

I was a little surprised as I'd yet seen such asshole behavior in the game yet but it also made me laugh at the thought of everyone running around in rajang mix sets as I like to imagine was his desire.

Hell I have two mix sets, one of them being the rajang mix but in the end I rarely use them as I just prefer the look of full sets and I like the large amount of skills you typically get with each. Granted if there was a badass mixed set that also looked really cool (the male rajang pieces are just too bright and poofy for me, female version looks much better in this instance) I would prolly be all over it haha.

Fashion hunter 4 life I guess.

lol, what a jerk.

The only people I make fun of are the jerks trying to do apex crown monsters without wystones. Get the fuck out of here.

Full sets are weird to me because I've been playing since the original series where each piece would have almost completely different stats, so they used to add up to garbage. No decorations around to help with that either. It's cool that they usually provide at least a couple of useful skills now along with a negative that can be gemmed out.

Don't forget that the Chaos stuff is used to trade for Ceadeus parts though I woulda been happier if they had included Goldbeard.

I remember Helios Z looking awesome in MH3U. It was pretty wildly sought after.

On a total aside, Caedeus was insanely easy with Normal 3 shots. Nostalgia........

Top Bottom