• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

As someone who dabbled with Monster Hunter 3U on 3DS and enjoyed what I played (only got to 3* missions before I got dragged away by the backlog) should I keep going in 3U or should I move on to 4?
Putting time into both would be an interesting experience!

But it's really hard to say for sure. None of the areas from 3U are in 4U, many of the monsters from 3U aren't in 4U, and a lot of equipment either isn't present or has been changed around in 4U. 4U makes a lot of things better in terms of user-friendliness (like item sets, or a nicer font) but there's plenty you'd miss out on by skipping the rest of 3U entirely.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so it's dawned on me that I'm at G-Rank and have virtually ignored Expedition stuff for most of the game. Would it be worth it at very early G-Rank to jump into HR expeditions looking for weapons/armor? Or just for any reason in general?

Unicorn

As someone who dabbled with Monster Hunter 3U on 3DS and enjoyed what I played (only got to 3* missions before I got dragged away by the backlog) should I keep going in 3U or should I move on to 4?

I would just transfer to 4U. 3U ramps up the BS with the water combat come Caedus.

Maybe it was because I was a Bow user in 3U, but water combat was more than a circus of frustration.

4U is just a delight with the new "gimmick" of vertical movement. Getting the hang of climbing and jumping onto monsters is rewarding and satisfying where defeating a monster underwater in 3U was merely a testament to anger management.

4U all the way, man. The new weapons are also amazing..

Okay, so it's dawned on me that I'm at G-Rank and have virtually ignored Expedition stuff for most of the game. Would it be worth it at very early G-Rank to jump into HR expeditions looking for weapons/armor? Or just for any reason in general?

If you're already in G I wouldn't think it's worth the time to do HR unless you're leveling them up.

I'd ignore high rank unless you really want to get a certain guild quest (like Kirin or Kut Ku or Basarios). The weapons you get from HR expeditions aren't really useful to you anymore since you can get better ones via G Rank.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If you're already in G I wouldn't think it's worth the time to do HR unless you're leveling them up.

I'd ignore high rank unless you really want to get a certain guild quest (like Kirin or Kut Ku or Basarios). The weapons you get from HR expeditions aren't really useful to you anymore since you can get better ones via G Rank.

Right, yeah. I was just thinking High Rank because when I say very early G-Rank, I mean VERY early. Like, I still don't have any G-Rank gear or anything. I've fought Desert Seltas and some G-Rank Iodrome and that's about it. So really I might as well still be late High Rank.

Right, yeah. I was just thinking High Rank because when I say very early G-Rank, I mean VERY early. Like, I still don't have any G-Rank gear or anything. I've fought Desert Seltas and some G-Rank Iodrome and that's about it. So really I might as well still be late High Rank.

Gotcha. You'd honestly be better off just doing 10* caravan stuff then and wait until you have G Rank Gear and do some G Expeditions. I can't really think of anything a HR Expedition would get you that wouldn't be outdated in less than 10 hours, outside of particular guild quests.
Also, go ahead and try some G Expeditions for the easier fellas like Basarios and Velocidrome. That'll get you acclimated with G Rank monsters, get you some good items from Treasure Areas, and maybe open up some Guild Quests.

Huzzah! I may have had to use my only Teo Hardhorn but I made the Empress X set. Not sure why I like the Empress over Kaiser but i'll get them all eventually. Also made the Seregios GS and with those I can bust me some horns.

Rawk Hawk

Am I understanding relics correctly.. The hammer for example I see one that is min 1820 -25% affinity, max 1820 -10% affinity.. Would I mine up the -25% affinity and then polish and upgrading brings it to -10%? Or will I mine up something that's like 500 dmg and upgrade it from there to the 1820? Should someone be lucky enough to get it.

I'm still a ways off from farming high GQ's, just trying to wrap my head around it.

EDIT: here is the source I saw it in, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBReR9tz1ZQ

tuffy

Finding a Normal Up +6, Poison +10, 1 slot charm has opened up all sorts of crazy possibilities. I could go Rathalos Mantle hunting with a set that has:
  • Evade Extender
  • Normal Up
  • Challenger +2
  • Adrenaline +1
  • Negate Poison
  • Capture Guru
just by mixing a lot of the Brachydios X/Brachydium armor pieces I already have, along with a Regios X cap.

I should finish up my charm hunting set to see what else I can come up with.

Finding a Normal Up +6, Poison +10, 1 slot charm has opened up all sorts of crazy possibilities. I could go Rathalos Mantle hunting with a set that has:
  • Evade Extender
  • Normal Up
  • Challenger +2
  • Adrenaline +1
  • Negate Poison
  • Capture Guru
just by mixing a lot of the Brachydios X/Brachydium armor pieces I already have, along with a Regios X cap.

I should finish up my charm hunting set to see what else I can come up with.

That's one sexy Rath Killer set. Rathian + subspecies and Rathalos + subspecies. If Giginox was in this game, it'd be even more awesome.

PrankT

Am I understanding relics correctly.. The hammer for example I see one that is min 1820 -25% affinity, max 1820 -10% affinity.. Would I mine up the -25% affinity and then polish and upgrading brings it to -10%? Or will I mine up something that's like 500 dmg and upgrade it from there to the 1820? Should someone be lucky enough to get it.

I'm still a ways off from farming high GQ's, just trying to wrap my head around it.
I believe the damage will be maxed out already, but upgrading will increase the affinity or defense. That's the case for the weapons I've received, at least.

So, there's no "trick" to get G. Plesioth to appear, right? I swear, I've check after almost every hunt the last few weeks (like 50+ hunts) and he has only appeared once. I just want my darn LBG! His normal brother, mister NORMAL Plesioth, has shown up about 10 times.

PKrockin

So, there's no "trick" to get G. Plesioth to appear, right? I swear, I've check after almost every hunt the last few weeks (like 50+ hunts) and he has only appeared once. I just want my darn LBG! His normal brother, mister NORMAL Plesioth, has shown up about 10 times.
I always wait 3 or more hunts and when I go to the island green plesioth is there on the first net almost every single time. On the other hand I've seen regular plesioth twice since green started appearing. I've had to sell a ton of green plesioth shards, but it's great money.

Prisoner

Green Plesioth appears all the time for me. I've only gotten regular Plesioth once.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gotcha. You'd honestly be better off just doing 10* caravan stuff then and wait until you have G Rank Gear and do some G Expeditions. I can't really think of anything a HR Expedition would get you that wouldn't be outdated in less than 10 hours, outside of particular guild quests.
Also, go ahead and try some G Expeditions for the easier fellas like Basarios and Velocidrome. That'll get you acclimated with G Rank monsters, get you some good items from Treasure Areas, and maybe open up some Guild Quests.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm actually surprised at how hard those G-Rank Iodrome hit. Desert Seltas was pretty easy, but those Iodrome were hitting me for nearly 1/3 of my life with those jumping attacks. Really anxious to get some G armor to mitigate that a bit.

(Yeah, this is my first time hitting G-Rank. Didn't get there in Freedom Unite, Tri and Portable 3rd didn't have it, and I barely played 3U.)

Beats

I won some Mosswine Jerky during one of Capcom Unity's streams. It hasn't shipped yet though, so I dunno what it even tastes like. Has anyone here gotten any? lol. Packaging looks like this according to google:

mosswine_jerky_1024x1amawl.jpg

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh, thats handy. Yeah the person I needed to speak to was off in the distance so their yellow bubble wasn't showing up in the game screen but that works.
Hey, how'd you go with that Great Jaggi quest man? I thought of your post when I was hitting a wall with high rank Tetsucabra last night. I was almost throwing my 3ds at the wall. Got him eventually though :p

Prisoner

Anyone want to do G-rank stuff?

I won some Mosswine Jerky during one of Capcom Unity's streams. It hasn't shipped yet though, so I dunno what it even tastes like. Has anyone here gotten any? lol. Packaging looks like this according to google:

Mmmm. I bet it tastes earthy.

Ultrabum

I like normal shot HBG, its the easiest to use IMO.

I recommend the molten tigrex HBG, use it with normal 2 and 3.

I would also recommend making the teostra chest with 1 or 2 torso up pieces and go for the skills brutality and attack up, loading is OK imo but not key with normal HBG.

I also would get evasion extender, I find I die over and over without it playing HBG.

My set is not optimal, but it is:

Momo Helm S (the "blademaster" one for its attack.
kaiser Vest X
Kaiser Guards X
Vangis Coat (torso up)
G Knight Tights X (torso up)
tailisman is +9 attack

This gives ruthlessness, attack up L, and evade extender.

Anyone here willing to help me get to high rank in the gathering hall? I'm currently Rank 2, and I think the only key quest I still need before the rank 3 urgent quest is the rathian one

I give up trying to do Shah with randoms. If anyone wants in on G Kushala I have an urgent with him.

40-1451-4791-5906

Any quick suggestions for a good first G-Rank armor set?

Can't go wrong with Tetsu X or Seregios. I'm also a fan of the Narga set.

Also, need a suggestion for a helmet with these armor pieces:

Grand Divine Ire Robe
Kujula Grip
GDI Obi
Rathalos Greaves X

Since I can't get the Rebellion X helmet right now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I give up trying to do Shah with randoms. If anyone wants in on G Kushala I have an urgent with him.

40-1451-4791-5906

Can't go wrong with Tetsu X or Seregios. I'm also a fan of the Narga set.

Yeah, I was leaning towards Tetsu X myself. I know a lot of people tend to go with Regios X, but I feel like I need something a bit earlier than that.

Top Bottom