• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Reached High rank in gathering hall! Though before I start that, I want to get a bit further in caravan. I'm just starting rank 8 caravan now, so probably when I get to rank 9 I'll shoot for rank 5 gathering hall

Any early G rank armor suggestions for a DB user? I'm liking Gaijin Hunter's suggestion but I'm afraid the Def will suck:

▪️Rebellion Up:

Torso Up, Rebellion Mail, Torso Up, Torso Up, Ceanataur (and a charm with 3 slots)

Skills: Honed Blade + Razor Sharp + Fast Sharpen

Any other ideas?

I really enjoy fighting the Shagaru Magala. My favorite monster in the game so far.

I'm going to be grinding the Shagaru Magala. Anybody want to help? Please?

27-1271-0221-1779

Venfayth

Ugh, I hate fighting Zinogres. Just got my first frenzied Zinogre quest, I swear it took 1/3 of my HP off in one attack. It's so damn fast and its attack patterns are so bizarre I never know when i can get a hit in. Are there any tricks to these guys?

Airan

I just made a Livid Griscannon and found it a bit underwhelming compared to my Reggie LBG while smashing B.Gravious. Rapid Fire is simply too good for extending your ammo.

Ugh, I hate fighting Zinogres. Just got my first frenzied Zinogre quest, I swear it took 1/3 of my HP off in one attack. It's so damn fast and its attack patterns are so bizarre I never know when i can get a hit in. Are there any tricks to these guys?

Unfortunately, 1/3 of your HP is how the game is going to be from now on. Actually, even more than that with most monsters/attacks.
The more you fight a guy, the more you'll catch his tells. For Zinogre, he gives some free hits when he's charging. Also, after he does his tail-backflip, he's open for a good amount of time for attacks. Another one is the jump-into-the-air-and-land-on-his-back attack that reminds me of Bowser. That one leaves him open for a long time. Outside of that, you'll just want to hit and run..

To celebrate my new purchase, I've now managed to upgrade my Seregios hammer to the maximum stage, putting it on damage par with my Cera Cymmetry.

I can't wait to get enough stuff to hone it for attack.

Venfayth

Unfortunately, 1/3 of your HP is how the game is going to be from now on. Actually, even more than that with most monsters/attacks.
The more you fight a guy, the more you'll catch his tells. For Zinogre, he gives some free hits when he's charging. Also, after he does his tail-backflip, he's open for a good amount of time for attacks. Another one is the jump-into-the-air-and-land-on-his-back attack that reminds me of Bowser. That one leaves him open for a long time. Outside of that, you'll just want to hit and run..

Thanks, and I see.

Can I run to a different zone and wait for him to lose his charge?

jorgejjvr

Thanks, and I see.

Can I run to a different zone and wait for him to lose his charge?

As far as I know, he doesn't lose his charge over time. You need to knock it out of him. Leaving him alone will only charge him up more.

Also, anyone want to hunt?

-Alternis

Boogiepop

BTW, how much have I been screwing up by not bothering with expeditions and guild quests? Are they a good thing to keep an eye on? I only just started running through them when I see a poogie listed to get some of the costumes. (On the verge of G-rank with my online group and everything but the Caravaneer's Challenge knocked out in single player).

deim0s

I really thought that my hunts during MH4U's release with FR hunters are just a fluke - being a new game and all that...

An hour (or two) ago, i joined a room with three of them! It's true! Mixed sets with no skills activated and two aren't even wearing armor on the arms and/or leg. HR4 at 63 defense with yellow sharpness weapons!

Je Suis Monte.

I tried to give em the basics for skills (even offered help em hunt to upgrade their armors), but they just wouldn't listen. Continued hunting with them for the laughs - a lot of jump attacks, bounces, and obviously carting. This went on for 10 hunts at a Emerald Congalala.

Pardon...

Good times French guys!

Mzo

BTW, how much have I been screwing up by not bothering with expeditions and guild quests? Are they a good thing to keep an eye on? I only just started running through them when I see a poogie listed to get some of the costumes. (On the verge of G-rank with my online group and everything but the Caravaneer's Challenge knocked out in single player).

G -rank Expeditions and their resulting high level Guild Quests are the end game after G-rank. Before that they're a waste of time for a chance at fleetingly decent gear IMO.

Can anyone help me with Gogmazios no one wants to do it every time someone joins and sees the quest they leave I have yet to start it even lol

PrankT

Can anyone help me with Gogmazios no one wants to do it every time someone joins and sees the quest they leave I have yet to start it even lol
Not near my 3ds, but if you post the room people will join if they can. In general post even if you think no one is around, it's a lot easier.

PKrockin

These insect glaives, man. I'll just be standing in one spot poking a monster in the tail, legs, ribs or butthole with my lance in a nice rhythm, the monster staggers, and they run into the same exact square centimeter I'm standing in and send me to trip city. Then I've got to try to awkwardly backhop somewhere to avoid getting hit by the monster, which uses up my stamina, putting me at further risk.

Confirmation bias probably, but at least attempt not to stand on top of your friendly neighborhood lancer pls :p

Is there a reason to do every single player quest? I've unlocked the fifth set of quests so I'm wondering if there's a reason to go back to the fourth.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Is there a reason to do every single player quest? I've unlocked the fifth set of quests so I'm wondering if there's a reason to go back to the fourth.
You need to do all of them to unlock the last quest in the series, which is entirely optional.
Low Rank last quest is the Caravanners challenge and high rank is the master's test.

Leezard

Are there any rooms still open?

These insect glaives, man. I'll just be standing in one spot poking a monster in the tail, legs, ribs or butthole with my lance in a nice rhythm, the monster staggers, and they run into the same exact square centimeter I'm standing in and send me to trip city. Then I've got to try to awkwardly backhop somewhere to avoid getting hit by the monster, which uses up my stamina, putting me at further risk.

Confirmation bias probably, but at least attempt not to stand on top of your friendly neighborhood lancer pls :p
As a hammer user gone insect glaive, I know your pain and I try avoid everyone that can be tripped. There are so many weapons that won't get tripped though. Hammer users and lancers have a tough time, especially lancers. I think SnS can be tripped a lot as well.

PKrockin

As a hammer user gone insect glaive, I know your pain and I try avoid everyone that can be tripped. There are so many weapons that won't get tripped though. Hammer users and lancers have a tough time, especially lancers. I think SnS can be tripped a lot as well.
Hammer has trip armor on almost the whole three hit combo though doesn't it? I'm pretty sure I don't trip during super pound either. Either that or nobody wants to be nearby when I release the kraken (rightfully so, lol). I believe SnS has trip armor for a bit starting when you use your X+A jump in attack so at least there's that.

Leezard

Hammer has trip armor on almost the whole three hit combo though doesn't it? I'm pretty sure I don't trip during super pound either. Either that or nobody wants to be nearby when I release the kraken (rightfully so, lol). I believe SnS has trip armor for a bit starting when you use your X+A jump in attack so at least there's that.

Hammer can be tripped during the three hit combo, but not the super pound (hammers can be tripped during charge though). Right after the first attack of the three hit combo is the perfect time to get tripped. I've heard Lance can be tripped just about anytime, but getting tripped as hammer is still very annoying.

PKrockin

Hammer can be tripped during the three hit combo, but not the super pound (hammers can be tripped during charge though). Right after the first attack of the three hit combo is the perfect time to get tripped. I've heard Lance can be tripped just about anytime, but getting tripped as hammer is still very annoying.
Huh, didn't know that. Tripping hammers doing their combo is terrible. Getting the golf swing on the head does ridiculous stun and raw damage, and of course it's so satisfying. Makes you extra annoyed when you could have had it but didn't because someone got too close.

Actually, didn't Gaijin Hunter say something about the hammer having super armor on its combo? Now that I think about it I remember him saying something along the lines of potentially using the side smack as the first hit because its faster animation makes the super armor last until the golf swing starts.

I actually don't mind at all when hammers or other weapons launch me. The arms flailing animation honestly gets a chuckle out of me every time.

Top Bottom