• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Gunlance really deserved better in Generations. I can see where they were going with the heating changes, but the nerfs they gave it to "balance" the weapon in exchange went a little far. I'd like to keep the mechanic in Worlds, except maybe less restricting (overheating can be so obnoxious depending on what you were trying to set up), and with better damage scaling.

But yes, smacking monsters with Wyvren Fire is amazing and I love the absolute power of Wide Shelling (spoken as someone who only goes Gunlance solo 'cause I'm so bad with it).
I think if they'd had left its base damage the same as 4 and had the heat gauge as a pure buff it probably would have been OK. Though Styles went a long way to making it much more accessible. I'd argue that it's main problem is that it's such an arcane weapon in general to use and that it doesn't feel like it pays off sometimes.
What I'd like to see for GL in world :
- Removal of the hops for either just GL, or regular Lance too. Just let them roll normally.
- Damage increase across the board for the weapon.
- Something like the heat gauge, to encourage shelling, but requiring less build up so you don't spend half the game mindlessly shelling. Maybe it should work in reverse? Attacking with the Lance could fill the gauge to power up shelling damage.
- Give us something like the rocket dash from Generations that uses the same cooldown as wyvern fire. Maybe buff wyvern fire to make the decision between using the two more difficult.
- Flamethrower style Gunlances as one of the shelling styles. Flames change depending on element of weapon.
- Maybe change it so you can't poke with Lance whilst blocking but allow you to shell with shield up.

Controversial idea: turn Gunlance into a hyper mobile weapon. Shelling used for rocket jumping and dashes. Keep heat gauge in. If you overheat you lock yourself out of the mobility aspects. Weapon retains offensive capability of shelling and wyvern fire. Drop the shield and ability to block.

Oxirane

I think if they'd had left its base damage the same as 4 and had the heat gauge as a pure buff it probably would have been OK. Though Styles went a long way to making it much more accessible. I'd argue that it's main problem is that it's such an arcane weapon in general to use and that it doesn't feel like it pays off sometimes.
What I'd like to see for GL in world :
- Removal of the hops for either just GL, or regular Lance too. Just let them roll normally.
- Damage increase across the board for the weapon.
- Something like the heat gauge, to encourage shelling, but requiring less build up so you don't spend half the game mindlessly shelling. Maybe it should work in reverse? Attacking with the Lance could fill the gauge to power up shelling damage.
- Give us something like the rocket dash from Generations that uses the same cooldown as wyvern fire. Maybe buff wyvern fire to make the decision between using the two more difficult.
- Flamethrower style Gunlances as one of the shelling styles. Flames change depending on element of weapon.
- Maybe change it so you can't poke with Lance whilst blocking but allow you to shell with shield up.

Controversial idea: turn Gunlance into a hyper mobile weapon. Shelling used for rocket jumping and dashes. Keep heat gauge in. If you overheat you lock yourself out of the mobility aspects. Weapon retains offensive capability of shelling and wyvern fire. Drop the shield and ability to block.

Why would you want to get rid of hops for the Lance?
Also (as a sidenote), is there any reason why is rolling with a weapon considered normal, while side and back stepping is seen as abnormal?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, was that a pre-recorded hunt or people (attendee's) were playing it on stage? That looks indeed interesting.

JP_

Banned
I assume not all monsters will leave mucus for us to track with our scout flies -- that mucus is something specific to this t-rex with the inflatable nose. So I expect different monsters to leave different things to track :)

And I'm kind of surprised that nobody that saw the demo reported on simply how much better the in-game tutorial is now. People talked about expecting it in general, but it's on full display in this e3 demo.

edit:
224585764b.png

dat ken doll anatomy

Why would you want to get rid of hops for the Lance?
Also (as a sidenote), is there any reason why is rolling with a weapon considered normal, while side and back stepping is seen as abnormal?
Its too clunky in my opinion. Would be mitigated if you could hop forward, but only being able to jump backwards and to the side feels like a potential hold over from the design decision that Lance is the "shield tank" weapon and therefore dodging is supposed to be harder. When really, shield tanking is still suboptimal. Maybe it'll be different now there's mantles for getting aggro and lances can become a lightning rod for monster attacks, but I still don't like the hops personally.

peakish

I hate visual effects that constantly drag your attention to it like the scout flies. Don't want to overreact before knowing how they'll work in the full game, I just hope they're not designing the game around that being an element and that you can turn them off, or that they're much less visible outside of stage demonstrations.

The rest of that gameplay looks great.

popyea

Its too clunky in my opinion. Would be mitigated if you could hop forward, but only being able to jump backwards and to the side feels like a potential hold over from the design decision that Lance is the "shield tank" weapon and therefore dodging is supposed to be harder. When really, shield tanking is still suboptimal. Maybe it'll be different now there's mantles for getting aggro and lances can become a lightning rod for monster attacks, but I still don't like the hops personally.

It makes Lance so much fun to play though. I kind of jump between most of the weapons, and I really appreciate these differences for the lance. It makes positioning really important and quite satisfying to get right. You can move forward quickly with the shield bash also, which is a satisfying to avoid damage while staying aggressive.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Its not that its "clunky" you just need to know how to use it properly with a correct setup.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8kWi-GqCwI

For something more recent from MHX

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yM_Ts_LpCJI

spiritfox

I hate visual effects that constantly drag your attention to it like the scout flies. Don't want to overreact before knowing how they'll work in the full game, I just hope they're not designing the game around that being an element and that you can turn them off, or that they're much less visible outside of stage demonstrations.

The rest of that gameplay looks great.

Looks like scout flies are only used for tracking, so you can just play the game without using them if you want to.

JP_

Banned

As a Lance user, I love the hops.

peakish

Looks like scout flies are only used for tracking, so you can just play the game without using them if you want to.
Depends on how viable that is. Maybe this has been covered and I missed it, but if the flies are a replacement for paint balls you'll have to keep them on if the monster flees to a different area (unless they're removing shortcuts and whatnot for them). Likewise, depending on how large the maps are and how the monsters spawn they could be relying more on tracking the monsters upfront since running around the maps can be very time consuming at that point. On the other hand, this could be one of several systems to track them through, or they've remade the mechanics in other ways that I don't know yet.

That's a lot of conditionals which is why I'm hesitant to commit fully to "this sucks, period" before knowing how the full game works. I just hope it's not your only option if you want to play the game efficiently.

spiritfox

Depends on how viable that is. Maybe this has been covered and I missed it, but if the flies are a replacement for paint balls you'll have to keep them on if the monster flees to a different area (unless they're removing shortcuts and whatnot for them). Likewise, depending on how large the maps are and how the monsters spawn they could be relying more on tracking the monsters upfront since running around the maps can be very time consuming at that point. On the other hand, this could be one of several systems to track them through, or they've remade the mechanics in other ways that I don't know yet.

That's a lot of conditionals which is why I'm hesitant to commit fully to "this sucks, period" before knowing how the full game works. I just hope it's not your only option if you want to play the game efficiently.

Well I'm not sure myself, but if it's like previous games, there are only a few places where monsters will spawn, so after the first few hunts you should know where to go to find the monster. Of course it might not be like that, and you'll still have to use it the first few times, but in the long term it shouldn't be too bothersome. But I do hope there're other ways to find a monster, like an observation balloon or something.

PKrockin

If you want to move forward, that's what your shield advance and joust charge are for. You can even chain a shield advance from a sidestep and vice-versa.

I mean, you can argue it's counterintuitive when every other weapon besides the lance and gunlance can roll forward, but I think it does a lot to set them apart as tanks, and makes them feel really different from other slow weapons with sidesteps and forward rolls like SA and CB.

Akiller

I'm so happy that World is running on MT Framework.What an ugly mess the 3DS titles were.

Tbf 3DS games used MT Framework too , the engine is pretty scalable it seems and i figured they would have used it to bring over MHW as many things they could.
Hunter's model and animations look pretty much the same , Rathalos' as well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm so happy that World is running on MT Framework.What an ugly mess the 3DS titles were.

I honestly could care less what the game looks like as its how does it play thats important.

A shiny piece of shit it still shit in the end thats why lol.

I honestly could care less what the game looks like as its how does it play thats important.

A shiny piece of shit it still shit in the end thats why lol.

Good, that we have now a good looking Monster Hunter incoming for 2018, with Devs taking advantage of the modern hardware.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
MT Framework was among the bests engines of last gen. From an outsider, It seemed better than UE3. Did the Re7 engine build on it or it has a different, new foundation?

Peroroncino

Just watched the gameplay, looks like a good ol' Monster Hunter with some new mechanics and actual graphics, my biggest fear was that they'd revamp the combat system too much, but it looks like they didn't mess with it and that's great news.

Overall it looks amazing, when Rathalos joined the fray shit really hit the fan, can't wait for this game.

edit: Almost forgot, there was a lot of chatter here about the lack of timer, from the gampelay they're clearl talking about not doing it in time, so... it's confirmed to be in game after all?

Raide

Soo....how many monsters do you think World will have? Its a mainline sequel, so are we having monsters from 4 Ultimate, Gen and X? Or do you think they are fresh starting on this? Personally I want as many weird and wonderful monsters as they can pack in.

I feel like they're gonna treat World like a pseudo game as a service. Maybe we'll start with a few numbers of monsters and they'll keep updating the game with new monsters map along the way. Judging by the other trademarks surrounding Worlds, I think they're going to promote and support the game in the West for quite a long time. It's not gonna be the regular release the game and slap x number of monsters in it and that's all.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like they're gonna treat World like a pseudo game as a service. Maybe we'll start with a few numbers of monsters and they'll keep updating the game with new monsters map along the way. Judging by the other trademarks surrounding Worlds, I think they're going to promote and support the game in the West for quite a long time. It's not gonna be the regular release the game and slap x number of monsters in it and that's all.
That's my biggest fear.

Raide

That makes sense. They have not talked extra content/DLC/Season Pass or anything yet, so I wonder how they plan it?

So with the extra processing power of a console Capcom can simulate a more engaging ecosystem of monsters...

...Do you guys think we'll get to see the monsters mating?

Just asking.

That makes sense. They have not talked extra content/DLC/Season Pass or anything yet, so I wonder how they plan it?

I doubt they'll gate everything with a paywall. Monsters and map updates are all going to be free, releasing in a regular interval. However, other than cosmetics I'm not sure how would they make money out of it. I hope I'm wrong though.

I would pay for real DLC expansions in a MH game

But they need to have it be the real deal

Not just unlocking Fatalis quest that already on the or installing code to rearrange existing on disc assets

New maps, new monsters etc..

Im pumped for the prospect of Real DLC

Defuser

Watching the leak video makes me so fucking hype for this. Think of the possibilities they can do for a console MH...like a 6 man hunting raid.

Raide

I doubt they'll gate everything with a paywall. Monsters and map updates are all going to be free, releasing in a regular interval. However, other than cosmetics I'm not sure how would they make money out of it. I hope I'm wrong though.

I hope they do what happened in the more recent 3DS games and have monthly drops of content.

Yeah, paid for cosmetics I am not sure would work. The whole idea of the game is to hunt and make things out of the monsters you hunt, so paying for alternative colours/styles might work I guess but then people would rather hunt the monster to get the variation version.

Part of me thinks they might go Season Pass and have a year of content, but mainly new zones, a signature monster linked to each season etc. I now any don't like the Pass stuff but it might be the way Capcom keep World fresh and the numbers increasing.

What do the silly trademarks have to do what you said..

Finally got around to watching most of the leaked video...

Holy shit, YES! Looks amazing. The dam break into the zone transition was phenomenal. The monsters fighting each other was fantastic. Combat looks pretty much wholly intact. I also loved a lot of the small changes they've made.

Tutorial prompts plus voice overs give me hope for a much more fleshed out opening and beginner friendly introduction. Bringing up a journal to go into the map is a also great little touch. Vine swinging between zone transitions looks lovely, and quick.

That demo, as unfinished as it was, still felt more alive than any past MH game.

Raide

Gameplay of course, animals in heat tend to be more aggressive and perhaps have different behaviour during mating season.

Purely for gameplay reasons.

Well, we saw larger ones feeding their babies, so I guess it happens. Just not sure showing it helps at all from a gameplay direction. :D

Also, do you really want to hunt a Horny Jho?

spiritfox

Gameplay of course, animals in heat tend to be more aggressive and perhaps have different behaviour during mating season.

Purely for gameplay reasons.

Black Diablos are normal Diablos in heat, so it's kinda in game already.

Not that we see them actually doing anything about it. For gameplay reasons.

Well, we saw larger ones feeding their babies, so I guess it happens. Just not sure showing it helps at all from a gameplay direction. :D

Also, do you really want to hunt a Horny Jho?

Okay hear me out- what if we can use it as a strategy to lure a Monster in heat with the scent of a viable mate...

Prediction time

Returning monsters?

I saw somewhere that they said this is their largest game yest Content wise.... Like holy shit what does that mean?!?!?!

HOw do you make a larger game than 4U and GenX?

Do they just mean scope of work or are we talking like 10-12 maps and hundreds of monsters?

Top Bottom