• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

XaosWolf

Welcome aboard!

Leave those dirty SwitchAxe users behind.

giphy.gif

I'll miss my Prowler gameplay though...

Thoraxes

I feel like they're gonna treat World like a pseudo game as a service. Maybe we'll start with a few numbers of monsters and they'll keep updating the game with new monsters map along the way. Judging by the other trademarks surrounding Worlds, I think they're going to promote and support the game in the West for quite a long time. It's not gonna be the regular release the game and slap x number of monsters in it and that's all.

Given that those trademarks are totally gonna be for a RE-style portal site with events and shit, I fully expect it to have some of that, if not timed hunts (like, a weekly mission in a zone) at the very least.

Welcome aboard!

Leave those dirty SwitchAxe users behind.

hahahah so true

I love switch axe though. Such a great go to casual play weapon

I wonder how it will be changed! I love that they are bringing all 14 weapon types back! Seeing those animation in HD is gonna be sick!

Raide

So is it only Insect Glaives they are not bringing over? I think that would be 14 weapons then. Maybe they drop Tonfa as well.

So is it only Insect Glaives they are not bringing over? I think that would be 14 weapons then.
Insect glaive is confirmed

All weapons from 4th gen are returned

No one is being left behind

What remains to be seen is if they are introducing a new weapon type in gen 5

Kouichi

A bit late but I just saw the leaked gameplay. Man it looks amazing!

As a Bow user, I could already imagine how much fun it will be to take advantage of the more open ended and vertical environment. Ah and all the new abilities and advantages of the controller are going to be so nice. My hype has been increased tenfold.

Eolz

I don't mind them not introducing any new weapons, different/new moves and grappling hook should be enough already.
I'm just hoping that Gunlance will be fun again, I felt it became worse over and over since 3U...

I don't mind them not introducing any new weapons, different/new moves and grappling hook should be enough already.
I'm just hoping that Gunlance will be fun again, I felt it became worse over and over since 3U...

Dude

We need the hunter Boomerang

We havent had a new ranged type weapon in a long time. Blademasters eating up all the action

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nope. It's a pure action game.
I really wouldn't say that. When someone hears "pure action game" with no qualifiers, they won't think of a game where you spend so much time farming and crafting and customizing and gearing up.

I don't know if I'd call MH an RPG per se, but it's definitely not a "pure action game" either. It has no traditional "levelling up" with XP/levels, but it has a character creator, stats-important equipment (that make a huge difference), crafting, farming for resources, and a lots of menu time and number crunching.

*shrugs* I don't consider buddies in games a liability.
If you promise your buddies won't join other lobbies and only ever play with you, then OK, no prob.

I've had to handle players that clearly "got carried" in Tri and 3U, and it was annoying as fuck. No thanks.

This is another reason why Souls is great. You can wander into an area you very much aren't ready for... and you can beat it with enough persistence. MH doesn't seem to like it when you do that, it doesn't want you to fight a Rathian before you've killed a half dozen Great Jaggis.
Yeah, well, MH isn't Souls, and has a different design philosophy. That's totally OK, you know. I love both games for what they are, and trying to apply everything related to Souls design to MH is fallacious and counter-productive.

Like I said earlier, I see both sides. On one hand the timer is so generous it begs the question "why have it at all?" But on the other hand the timer does impress a certain urgency on the player to get shit done. I do kind of like that.
Yep.

Sure, the hypothetical scenario sucks if you run out of time with 3 hits away from winning, but honestly, in my 200h+ of playing Tri and 300h+ of playing 3U, I don't think I've ever seen that happen... except, what do you know, as a solo newbie player who had no idea what she was doing. Hmmmmmm

Murkas

I remember the first time I ran out of time, playing MH2nd for the first time and it was hunt a Velocidrome, went ham, karted twice and then ran out of time. Told my friend who recommended the game to me that it sucks and was too difficult. That's when he told me I'm not supposed to do the guild hall quests at the beginning of the game and showed me where the village elder lady was lol. I know lots of people made that mistake.

Also I think MH would be a completely different game if it just handed you Ratholos and Tigrex etc at 1* right out the gate. You need the climb to build your weapons/armor because they matter a lot in MH.

Ridley327

I hope they do what happened in the more recent 3DS games and have monthly drops of content.

Yeah, paid for cosmetics I am not sure would work. The whole idea of the game is to hunt and make things out of the monsters you hunt, so paying for alternative colours/styles might work I guess but then people would rather hunt the monster to get the variation version.

Part of me thinks they might go Season Pass and have a year of content, but mainly new zones, a signature monster linked to each season etc. I now any don't like the Pass stuff but it might be the way Capcom keep World fresh and the numbers increasing.

The pricing has to be perfect in order for it to work. Maybe even better than perfect, really. I know some have bemoaned the whole vanilla->G revision model in the past, but it can't be denied that you got a hell of a lot of bang for your buck at the cost of a normal game. If they do a yearly season pass that adds maybe a dozen monsters and accompanying equipment for $20-$30, I think pushback will be unavoidable and rather messy to deal with. I'm already not a fan of the leaked details of the PS4 version getting exclusive content, so my expectations of Capcom getting this right are pretty low already.

Defuser

Ugh, I'm salivating at the fact we're gonna have HD Gunlances and Switchaxes. Imagine HD silver Rathalos Gunlance and Jinogre SwitchAxe.

Ugh, I'm salivating at the fact we're gonna have HD Gunlances and Switchaxes. Imagine HD silver Rathalos Gunlance and Jinogre SwitchAxe.

DEM ANIMATIONS!

Dude this might become the best MH game ever made. And finally a console version that strikes while the iron is hot

Multiplatform on all the places where online players gather. PC version is a gamechanger for many I imagine

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The best weapon is HBG. It almost feel like cheating once you're good at landing all your shot at the correct critical range and the correct hitzones. Speaking of which, I wonder if they will keep critical range for bowguns.

Solo, Non-Bushido HBG has problems, though.

Syril

Holy shit that gameplay. Good thing someone took that video so we could actually see that their game looks cool as shit.

So chicken option would be the bow. Or do I have a limit of how far away I can be lol
With the bow there's actually a specific range you have to shoot from depending on the arrow type to do maximum damage. If you shoot from too far it suffers severe damage penalties.

I hope that the game makes more concessions for solo play this time around, considering it's the first in the series where multiplayer is locked behind a pay wall and local isn't an option.

If timer was only for multiplayer, that's be great. I don't think it's cool to expect the average player to solo multi-hunts or Elder Dragons with additional restrictions.

Khezu

I'm curious to see what changes they made to bow gunning.

I don't care how strong it is, gunning in MH is really not fun.

I hope that the game makes more concessions for solo play this time around, considering it's the first in the series where multiplayer is locked behind a pay wall and local isn't an option.

If timer was only for multiplayer, that's be great. I don't think it's cool to expect the average player to solo multi-hunts or Elder Dragons with additional restrictions.

In Japan the online MH had a subscription fee.

Raide

The pricing has to be perfect in order for it to work. Maybe even better than perfect, really. I know some have bemoaned the whole vanilla->G revision model in the past, but it can't be denied that you got a hell of a lot of bang for your buck at the cost of a normal game. If they do a yearly season pass that adds maybe a dozen monsters and accompanying equipment for $20-$30, I think pushback will be unavoidable and rather messy to deal with. I'm already not a fan of the leaked details of the PS4 version getting exclusive content, so my expectations of Capcom getting this right are pretty low already.

Yeah, its super tricky ground. I think it really depends on the uptake of MH World when it launches. The content has to be there for the base game but extra monsters and weapons over time is perfect for MH but could cause divisions if done wrong.

I am a little annoyed about the Sony excusive content but if its just minor stuff or if MS/PC crowd get their own content, then it won't be all that bad. Hopefully they talk on the 20th about their plans.

Yes, the console ones anyway.

Even the original games had it.

And nobody brought this up during the discussion of the time limits?

It's not there as some benevolent teaching tool, it's there to prevent players from progressing too quickly on attrition. From a cynical business perspective, the timer forces players to grind when they reach an impasse, which prolongs their time with the game, which prolongs how long they're subscribed.

This also explains the "desire sensor" level of BS present in the RNG loot.

People who are defending this stuff in the West are actually (perhaps unknowingly) defending Capcom's shitty business practices in Japan. No wonder the game is so tough to solo, the series was designed to push players to pay for subscriptions to make the gameplay easier.

Please tell me I'm wrong on this. What a hugely negative realization.

It's not there as some benevolent teaching tool, it's there to prevent players from progressing too quickly on attrition. From a cynical business perspective, the timer forces players to grind when they reach an impasse, which prolongs their time with the game, which prolongs how long they're subscribed.

People who are defending this stuff in the West are actually (perhaps unknowingly) defending Capcom's shitty business practices in Japan. No wonder the game is so tough to solo, the series was designed to push players to pay for subscriptions to make the gameplay easier.

We don't know what Capcom want for MH:W.

IMO.Its also part of the reason why MH only gained popularity when it went portable since its free multiplayer. Not to mention its really easier to play local multi than on the console back then.

Ridley327

A good chunk of online games from that era in Japan had their own subscription fees. Even SNK's ports on PS2.

I think it's less "rope in the rubes who can't help themselves" and more "if they can get away with it, so can we." I mean, there hasn't been a mainline game requiring its own sub fee since Tri in Japan, and there's never been one in the west.

I don't think I've ever managed to time out on a mission I was properly prepared for, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting it'll be scary to newbies. They're more likely to get carted three times before running down the clock, and if they are somehow taking longer than 50 minutes to beat low-rank quests something is horribly wrong with their strategy or gear.

Duramboros is where the real challenge start.

And Bullfango. Trying to carve and then all of the sudden.

tenor.gif

Comandr

I thought I read somewhere a million years ago that they designed the 50 minute timer around the hour long lunch break. 50 minutes was about enough time to get on, meet up, do the quest and then finish up in time to be back on the clock. Which is far less sinister a reason to me than what you are suggesting. Not saying you’re wrong. I have no idea.

I dunno man

You have been going to the extreme on various topics

I would just say wait and play it for yourself and decide if this series is even right for you

Comandr

What we haven't talked about nearly enough is Felynes.

I'm so happy they're in! A handful of people have seen glimpses of them in the demo. I wonder how they look? Also: felynes talk! And they have tons of cat puns in their wordage.. So... Fully voiced?! Or are only certain things going to be voiced? Man I hope they go all in. Let the cuteness wash over me.

Raide

Hrmmm....

Of course, the timer is there to tell people "Hay, if this starts to run out, you probably need to git good/git good gear/" so it does feed into the gameplay loop that extends playtime...unless you happen to be awesome and never get carted/fail a monster etc.

MH is not the only game that gets people into a loot feedback loop, hell, its what makes loot games so fun. The timer is simply there as a marker towards what you need to aim for, else fights could go on for hours for new players and they never really get told to get better.

Also, the game is not that tough to solo if you know the correct way to get materials and utilize your combat abilities effectively. I spend way, way too much time mining for stuff, picking up bugs etc, because they are there and I need them! Helps once the farm kicks in but the desire sensor is in full effect once you get deeper into the gameplay loop.

Also, they have said nothing about subscriptions because its not an MMO.

What we haven't talked about nearly enough is Felynes.

I'm so happy they're in! A handful of people have seen glimpses of them in the demo. I wonder how they look? Also: felynes talk! And they have tons of cat puns in their wordage.. So... Fully voiced?! Or are only certain things going to be voiced? Man I hope they go all in. Let the cuteness wash over me.

I think they said Prowler is out, so they will just be combat helpers I presume but I so hope the farm is in so I can get their furry butts into some hard labour.

I can actually see a loot crate as the micro transaction for this game. It will kill the fun what makes a Monster Hunter game.

And it's not like their not going to do it seeing how all of their game with some form of online play have them.

Top Bottom