• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

The pricing has to be perfect in order for it to work. Maybe even better than perfect, really. I know some have bemoaned the whole vanilla->G revision model in the past, but it can't be denied that you got a hell of a lot of bang for your buck at the cost of a normal game. If they do a yearly season pass that adds maybe a dozen monsters and accompanying equipment for $20-$30, I think pushback will be unavoidable and rather messy to deal with. I'm already not a fan of the leaked details of the PS4 version getting exclusive content, so my expectations of Capcom getting this right are pretty low already.
Ugh, what? Where are the leaked details on this? Unless it's some dumb stuff like Poogie outfits and legacy armors (of monsters not in the game), then this sounds like shit in the making.

I'm already imagining "Fight Nargacuga exclusively on PlayStation 4 systems!" and hate it. I honestly wouldn't put it past Sony. At "best," maybe two-week to one-month exclusivity or something.

cube001

And nobody brought this up during the discussion of the time limits?

It's not there as some benevolent teaching tool, it's there to prevent players from progressing too quickly on attrition. From a cynical business perspective, the timer forces players to grind when they reach an impasse, which prolongs their time with the game, which prolongs how long they're subscribed.

This also explains the "desire sensor" level of BS present in the RNG loot.

People who are defending this stuff in the West are actually (perhaps unknowingly) defending Capcom's shitty business practices in Japan. No wonder the game is so tough to solo, the series was designed to push players to pay for subscriptions to make the gameplay easier.

Please tell me I'm wrong on this. What a hugely negative realization.

Really? Does it bother you that much. Because I've been playing the series for more than 10 years and I have only failed quests due to the timer on my first experience with it, because I was biting off more than I can chew which was a good reminder for me to gear up before taking on those tougher challenges, and it has never been an issue for me since then...

This installment is obviously the best thing that have ever happened to the series and if that simple quest timer is going to stand between you and what this new installment offers then I can only pity you.

I'm only referring to your post where you say that you're out if the timer is still there, can't comment on the alleged Capcom's shitty business practices cause it's off topic.

Ugh, what? Where are the leaked details on this? Unless it's some dumb stuff like Poogie outfits and legacy armors (of monsters not in the game), then this sounds like shit in the making.

I'm already imagining "Fight Nargacuga exclusively on PlayStation 4 systems!" and hate it. I honestly wouldn't put it past Sony. At "best," maybe two-week to one-month exclusivity or something.

We dont have any unfortunately

All we can do is hope the PSN exclusives are just little piddly shit

Comandr

I can actually see a loot crate as the micro transaction for this game. It will kill the fun what makes a Monster Hunter game.

And it's not like their not going to do it seeing how all of their game with some form of online play have them.

That's never going to happen. It completely goes against the entirety of what Monster Hunter is about. You do know you can't even trade most items in the game right? That's how against easy grabs Capcom is. Need ooooooonneeee more drop and you didn't get it and your friend got three? Well tough shit. Back into the hunt you go to try again. To ease that burden I could see them unlocking item trading. But loot creates? There would be fucking riots.

iosefe

I'm already not a fan of the leaked details of the PS4 version getting exclusive content, so my expectations of Capcom getting this right are pretty low already.

We dont have any unfortunately

All we can do is hope the PSN exclusives are just little piddly shit
If this is what you mean, It's fake
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/6hqqn9/warning_fake_leak/

EDIT: just looked it up. Said it was mentioned in a press release. Which one?
The site reporting it doesn't link a source

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
It's harder for sure, but it's always been the #1 weapon in clear speed

Sure, but that generally involves some.. funny shenigans, and is very hard to play.
(I've been a HBG main since FU, but i'm not that good, so..)
Proper trap usage is paramount, for example. It's a weapon that's very dependant on siege, palico tanking, and other particulars that most weapons don't really care about at all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Damn that secret footage looks excellent! Huge leap forward for the series. They really should have shown it publicly as it doesn't look at all jank.

Is the long sword giant leap finisher move new or something adapted from X or XX?

Kyoufu

Damn that secret footage looks excellent! Huge leap forward for the series. They really should have shown it publicly as it doesn't look at all jank.

Is the long sword giant leap finisher move new or something adapted from X or XX?

They'll show it to the public on Tuesday. Naughty Dog are also showing their Lost Legacy gameplay demo on Tuesday.

Tuesday is going to be hot.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They'll show it to the public on Tuesday. Naughty Dog are also showing their Lost Legacy gameplay demo on Tuesday.

Tuesday is going to be hot.

New FighterZ character unveil in Jump that day too.
second-giff-lux-reaction.gif

forms

For some unexplainable reason I have been toying with the idea of buying a Switch, is it true that MH World is not coming for it?

That's never going to happen. It completely goes against the entirety of what Monster Hunter is about. You do know you can't even trade most items in the game right? That's how against easy grabs Capcom is. Need ooooooonneeee more drop and you didn't get it and your friend got three? Well tough shit. Back into the hunt you go to try again. To ease that burden I could see them unlocking item trading. But loot creates? There would be fucking riots.

Again, this is Capcom and Frontier and Online already have micro transaction,

Mengetsu

After watching that video everything looks amazing but, I see no blood. I really hope it wasn't in due to the build. Anyway we can get a confirmation?

JP_

Banned
Again, this is Capcom and Frontier and Online already have micro transaction,

And you think they'll risk the future on the franchise on ideas from proven failures like MHFrontier/Online? Capcom has been experimenting with that sorta stuff for a while in the spinoffs, but it's never taken off. They'd have to be incredibly stupid to have that data in front of them and think MHW should follow Frontier/Online.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised to some some sort of microtransaction but I'm not seeing anything to suggest they're going to really upend the traditional monhun formula with them -- if there is paid DLC, I expect it to be minor.

Kyoufu

After 13 years, they've finally updated the sharpness meter so now you know exactly how much sharpness is remaining in the colour tier.

13 years, guys and gals. 13 years.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Still can't get over MH coming to PC.

This E3 was the best of all time, when it comes to Japanese franchises making the leap to PC.

Ideal, thanks!

There's a set of single player quests, and a set of multiplayer quests. The thing is, the multiplayer quests are way more fun and what constitutes the "real game" while the single player quests sorta serve as a tutorial.

Now you CAN play the multiplayer quests solo, but it's a drag because the monsters have so much more health (because it's meant to be played with coop).

I recommend playing multiplayer quests with gaffers. The monster hunter community as a whole is pretty helpful and non-toxic. And the multiplayer quests (especially later on) will not be fun solo.

Khezu

After 13 years, they've finally updated the sharpness meter so now you know exactly how much sharpness is remaining in the colour tier.

I kinda wish they would axe some of the color tiers.
Really only need green, and some weapons that have a higher tier of sharpness with a trade off of some kind.

I'm waiting for the inevitable complaints about how this makes the game too easy.

I mean, I loved attacking S Rathalos's head and suddenly bouncing during a trap/flash bomb. It's great.

QoL improvement that we desperately needed, and I love it.

Kyoufu

I'm waiting for the inevitable complaints about how this makes the game too easy.

I mean, I loved attacking S Rathalos's head and suddenly bouncing during a trap/flash bomb. It's great.

QoL improvement that we desperately needed, and I love it.

Yeah what's annoying is seeing people equate QoL improvements to "casual friendly".

Like that sharpness feature hadn't been touched in 13 years. That's just insane to me.

edit: oops, double post

Yeah what's annoying is seeing people equate QoL improvements to "westernised".

Like that sharpness feature hadn't been touched in 13 years. That's just insane to me.

I want confirmation that tranqs and dung are now usable with the arm sling (?) instead of just tossing it where you're facing. That's an old mechanic created by not having controls suitable to modern aiming systems. It's not a feature, it's a limitation that no longer exists.

Get it out.

The fact that you can aim rocks with it has me hopeful.

Another thing I liked from the video was how long it took the hunters to draw the Anjanath to the Rathalos. He had to use the mantle and keep close so it wouldn't de-aggro, and he led it on a merry chase. Hopefully the effort involved will keep that strategy from being overpowered.

Eolz

There's a set of single player quests, and a set of multiplayer quests. The thing is, the multiplayer quests are way more fun and what constitutes the "real game" while the single player quests sorta serve as a tutorial.

Now you CAN play the multiplayer quests solo, but it's a drag because the monsters have so much more health (because it's meant to be played with coop).

I recommend playing multiplayer quests with gaffers. The monster hunter community as a whole is pretty helpful and non-toxic. And the multiplayer quests (especially later on) will not be fun solo.

For the first two paragraphs: we don't know how MHW will handle that though.
I find that a bit harsh to basically say that single player quests are not (as) fun too, they can be.

mas8705

Thunderjaw in MH: World. I gotta believe.

While I usually hate the idea of consoles getting "Exclusive content," I think this would actually be something that would actually be brilliant: To have "Exclusive Monsters" based on consoles, and to have them in the sense of a "crossover."

I know that for some, they still want to see a "Pokemon Hunter" game. No need to kill of course, but incapacitate (and of course, you could also say Ridley too). Definitely a good number of creatures from Horizon could work wonders here too (and have Horizon based armors to compliment hunters). As for Microsoft, you got me on that one.

Of course, it would be difficult to say how that would be implemented, but it would be a fun time if we did see something like this happen.

Yeah what's annoying is seeing people equate QoL improvements to "casual friendly".

When you develop games in such a conservative manner you also build a conservative fan base unfortunately.

I do not want to aimlessly wander a map looking for the target monster. If there's a gameplay mechanic attached to "tracking" them, that's fine. But so far it's been beyond tedious in previous games.

Top Bottom