• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

You guys should just accept not everyone will be happy. There's no denying that rumor and trailer hurt the reveal, but to me, all doubts are erased.
Game looks clearly a huge step up in every ways.
I only need two confirmations now:
Monsters numbers being over 35 and PC release date being close or day and date.

Kyoufu

You guys should just accept not everyone will be happy. There's no denying that rumor and trailer hurt the reveal, but to me, all doubts are erased.

We'll be lucky to get 20 let alone 30+ large monsters in the game tbh. I'm expecting Tri numbers.

Beats

I'd be surprised if we get more than 30 large monsters at launch. I'm kinda expecting around or a little more than how many were in Tri (18).

edit: Well if we're counting small monsters then yeah the count could probably get that high.

True, I just find some of the criticisms a bit silly. As for numbers, I'm not sure we'll get that many seeing as this is the first 5th Gen game. I do fear that MH4U and MHG have spoiled us a bit as far as large monster counts go.

True, I just find some of the criticisms a bit silly. As for numbers, I'm not sure we'll get that many seeing as this is the first 5th Gen game. I do fear that MH4U and MHG have spoiled us a bit as far as large monster counts go.

Then again, I meant monsters as a whole, not only large. 35 was the number for Tri and I definitely do not expect as much as MH4 and definitely not as much as a G expansion.

Then again, I hope they'll release a add-on G update and not make people buy the game again but allow for upgrade of the base game.

And yes, some criticism is silly, I agree, even though I may be biased here because I'm super excited. You can't get everyone on board, so you should just enjoy the hype on the train :p

HeeHo

Wondering how cheating will be prevented. I didn't see too much of it in Generations but I absolutely hated players hacked Talismans giving them +10 in multiple skills in 4U.

Kyoufu

Wondering how cheating will be prevented. I didn't see too much of it in Generations but I absolutely hated players hacked Talismans giving them +10 in multiple skills in 4U.

I just hope charm farming is given an overhaul as well. The whole process of being at the mercy of RNG gods in such a vast loot table of possible combinations is not compelling in what is mostly a skill-based action game.

I don't mind farming monsters for rare drops, but charm farming needs work.

jahasaja

There's a set of single player quests, and a set of multiplayer quests. The thing is, the multiplayer quests are way more fun and what constitutes the "real game" while the single player quests sorta serve as a tutorial.

Now you CAN play the multiplayer quests solo, but it's a drag because the monsters have so much more health (because it's meant to be played with coop).

I recommend playing multiplayer quests with gaffers. The monster hunter community as a whole is pretty helpful and non-toxic. And the multiplayer quests (especially later on) will not be fun solo.

I have the opposite opinion l love the single player and it is fairly lengthy. When you go one on one with a monster you really have to learn it's every move. Multiplayer on the other hand is often much more mindless

Oxirane

Also, that there will be differences in what people consider core parts of the 'Monster Hunter experience.'
For example, I'd guess that there would be push back against monster health bars (even if they could be toggled), while others would consider it a perfectly acceptable QoL feature.

One thing I'd like is farms(or equivalent) to continuously generate materials until changed or disabled. And maybe a purely cosmetic carving knife crafting system using material scraps.

ReaperXL7

I pretty much always roll hammer in monster hunting games. Toukiden I rolled club, God Eater I roll burst hammer, I'm not sure how Hammer plays in monster Hunter but I'll probably still end up sticking with the play style unless one of the other weapons grabs me more come release.

membran

I do not want to aimlessly wander a map looking for the target monster. If there's a gameplay mechanic attached to "tracking" them, that's fine. But so far it's been beyond tedious in previous games.

Apart from monsters having a fixed spawn for any given quest and each monster being limited to a handful of areas to actually use on each map, there were several options to auto-track the monster on the minimap. Either by slotting in the appropriate armor skill, using a specific hunting horn song, getting a special feylne food skill or just chucking down a potion named "psychoserum" at the start of the quest, which you could get from the NPC shop keeper for chump change.

Just saying.

Murkas

I pretty much always roll hammer in monster hunting games. Toukiden I rolled club, God Eater I roll burst hammer, I'm not sure how Hammer plays in monster Hunter but I'll probably still end up sticking with the play style unless one of the other weapons grabs me more come release.

Hammer is awesome in MH, KO'ing monsters is very satisfying and is a great help for teammates.

Just need to know how to play it, it's annoying when you have a hammer user in the quest but they aren't scoring KOs.

upandaway

I'd be surprised if we get more than 30 large monsters at launch. I'm kinda expecting around or a little more than how many were in Tri (18).

edit: Well if we're counting small monsters then yeah the count could probably get that high.
It definitely shares a lot of similarities with Tri (the asset upgrades too) so I'm also expecting a smaller amount of monsters but almost all of them new. Was surprised they brought back all weapons though, they might bring in more older monsters than we're expecting.

Orayn

Then again, I meant monsters as a whole, not only large. 35 was the number for Tri and I definitely do not expect as much as MH4 and definitely not as much as a G expansion.

Then again, I hope they'll release a add-on G update and not make people buy the game again but allow for upgrade of the base game.

And yes, some criticism is silly, I agree, even though I may be biased here because I'm super excited. You can't get everyone on board, so you should just enjoy the hype on the train :p

Tri only had 18 large monsters and all but 3 were new, I'm expecting fairly similar numbers here. More if they decide to do variants, which Tri didn't.

Eolz

Trufax.

These QoL improvements should make their way to the handheld games in the future so, yeah, casual friendly games for everyone!

Which games?
More seriously, 4U did a lot in terms of accessibility, lost later by Gen. Sadly, lots of older fans thought that the games became casual at each new instalment, which is stupid considering that older players were also becoming better over time, giving them that impression.

^ Yeeeeep. That BS 4chan rumor did a lot of damage. Mission accomplished for that rumor creator.

There wouldn't be that much damage if:
1) Capcom released that demo footage in good quality.
2) They gave a proper statement about XX's localization (even if it was "no").

HeeHo

I just hope charm farming is given an overhaul as well. The whole process of being at the mercy of RNG gods in such a vast loot table of possible combinations is not compelling in what is mostly a skill-based action game.

I don't mind farming monsters for rare drops, but charm farming needs work.

I actually found it kind of exhilarating to finally get a charm I've been wanting but I blame that on a Stockholm-like syndrome due to the bad RNG. It is kind of obtuse to try and explain how skills activate to new players so I'm wondering if they'll re-work the whole system. It hurts my brain to try and think of alternatives as deep as the current one.

Vuze

So... Maybe instead of later releasing a G version, we might get dlc for additional maps, weapons, and monsters? I wouldn't mind that too much.
I’ve discussed this with a buddy last year. Deliver a solid base game and sell substantial add ons until the next title. I’d be totally down for this if it helps to prevent falling back to the recycling loop too quickly, “episodic” content delivery could work very well for MH.

Kyoufu

Which games?
More seriously, 4U did a lot in terms of accessibility, lost later by Gen. Sadly, lots of older fans thought that the games became casual at each new instalment, which is stupid considering that older players were also becoming better over time, giving them that impression.

This is true for the Souls series as well, but they did make MHP3rd -extremely- easy. Ironically, the easiest MH game is also the best selling MH in Japan.

Serenity

Which games?

There wouldn't be that much damage if:
1) Capcom released that demo footage in good quality.
2) They gave a proper statement about XX's localization (even if it was "no").

2) shouldn't have bearing on world. Seems if it did then the persons criticism of World isn't genuine then. But I understand human nature sometimes gets the best of some of us.

Ridley327

Yeah what's annoying is seeing people equate QoL improvements to "casual friendly".

Like that sharpness feature hadn't been touched in 13 years. That's just insane to me.

edit: oops, double post

I can see why people didn't initially like the hitbox overhaul third gen introduced, as it does make the game "easier" in the sense that you no longer have to fear the air around a monster being just as lethal as the actual body and made staying under them a far more viable strategy than it was in the past, but stuff like the improved visual indicator for sharpness and giving proper third-person controls to gunners are really more in the neighborhood of stubborn laziness than anything else.

ZangBa

I don't mind damage numbers but don't care for monster health bars. It's exciting when you first fight a new tier of monsters before you have more capable gear. A long, drawn out battle and your supplies have dwindled. You know you've been beating on the beast for what feels like forever and think every hit will be the last. To finally kill it when it comes down to the wire is a great satisfaction I feel would be lost if you see the health the entire time.

Eolz

2) shouldn't have bearing on world. Seems if it did then the persons criticism of World isn't genuine then. But I understand human nature sometimes gets the best of some of us.

Not saying that this is legit criticism, but that it damaged the opinion on World.
And still does, looking at MH's official social media posts. And likely still will until they give a clear answer.

Camjo-Z

So... Maybe instead of later releasing a G version, we might get dlc for additional maps, weapons, and monsters? I wouldn't mind that too much.

One of the best parts about a modern console Monster Hunter is that they can just do downloadable expansions instead of releasing a separate full-price game a year later.

Hammer is awesome in MH, KO'ing monsters is very satisfying and is a great help for teammates.

Just need to know how to play it, it's annoying when you have a hammer user in the quest but they aren't scoring KOs.

It's hard when Longsword hunters or others are attacking the head after a trip or trap and knocking me out of my slow animation combos.

Who then complain when I send them flying after the golf swing. Let Hunters go after the parts they're most effective against!

Ridley327

One of the best parts about a modern console Monster Hunter is that they can just do downloadable expansions instead of releasing an entirely separate full-price game a year later.

Unfortunately with Capcom these days, we're going to be lucky if we get even twice the base content of the game at the price of a new game.

I need my fears assuaged on this. I really can't trust them right now on this matter.

Kyoufu

The team really needs to take a look at Lance. Its attacks could really do with super armor to avoid the frustration of being tripped so much by even something like a passing wind.

Hunting Horn also needs to be more intuitive than it is right now. Nobody uses it despite how beneficial it is to the group. If they can do that then more players will want to play with it and that could only be a good thing for the community.

The team really needs to take a look at Lance. Its attacks could really do with super armor to avoid the frustration of being tripped so much by even something like a passing wind.

Hunting Horn also needs to be more intuitive than it is right now. Nobody uses it despite how beneficial it is to the group. If they can do that then more players will want to play with it and that could only be a good thing for the community.

What do you think needs to be done to make the HH more intuitive? I like what they did in Generations with the dual note feature, promoting the correct style of aggressive support a HH user needs to do to be as useful as another weapon. The angles of attack are weird, but I don't think they're too hard to get used to.

Some changes to the notes themselves? What combinations work or what songs are paired with each other in each horn?

Edit; I do agree with the below poster that maybe what buttons correlate to what note, as it's not really explained prior to using the weapon.

Syril

Definitely agree with you on Lance. I barely even use it in groups because of that.

Hunting Horns already got a much needed revamp once, but I've noticed the biggest thing that keeps me from them is keeping track of all the melodies available to each horn. Some kind of on-screen cheat sheet would go a long way towards helping. The other thing is the arbitrary note colors that vary between horns, adding an extra step in the thought process as you read the melody list as you have to also associate each color with the appropriate button. I think they should either use a standardized set of colors or just straight up use button icons.

HeeHo

I do not want to aimlessly wander a map looking for the target monster. If there's a gameplay mechanic attached to "tracking" them, that's fine. But so far it's been beyond tedious in previous games.

Maybe someone already addressed you but this is remedied by the item "Psychoserum" which you can often get for free from the veggie elder. I always use it cause I hate it when the monster keeps moving back and forth.

But maybe you were talking about the older games.

Definitely agree with you on Lance. I barely even use it in groups because of that.

Hunting Horns already got a much needed revamp once, but I've noticed the biggest thing that keeps me from them is keeping track of all the melodies available to each horn. Some kind of on-screen cheat sheet would go a long way towards helping. The other thing is the arbitrary note colors that vary between horns, adding an extra step in the thought process as you read the melody list as you have to also associate each color with the appropriate button. I think they should either use a standardized set of colors or just straight up use button icons.

I think there's one now in generations, one of the tabs under the weapon details

Maybe someone already addressed you but this is remedied by the item "Psychoserum" which you can often get for free from the veggie elder. I always use it cause I hate it when the monster keeps moving back and forth.

But maybe you were talking about the older games.

And if you see the balloon in the sky, you can wave at it and the man in the balloon will mark where the monster is on your map.

Kyoufu

Some changes to the notes themselves? What combinations work or what songs are paired with each other in each horn?

Edit; I do agree with the below poster that maybe what buttons correlate to what note, as it's not really explained prior to using the weapon.

Like Syril says, button icons alone would go a long, long way in making HH friendlier.

I'd suggest a section where you can equip different songs at any time without changing your weapon to keep things consistent when maining the Hunting Horn throughout the game.

JP_

Banned
Which games?

I skipped 4/4U (I went from MHFU to MHTri/MHGen), so I'm curious what it added that was lost later in Gen.

Honestly, Gen did feel too easy with the different styles. Dodging made super easy with Adept, mounting monsters constantly for easier knockdowns (...also with Adept if you have S&S), weapons that transform and basically do the job of multiple traditional weapons.

dtm808

I would argue for removing the animation for playing songs and just have it auto play when you hit a string of 4 notes. That way you can play the weapon more aggressively and not have to either find a safe spot to play a song or risk getting hit while playing (its such a long animation).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tri only had 18 large monsters and all but 3 were new, I'm expecting fairly similar numbers here. More if they decide to do variants, which Tri didn't.
Maybe they meant 3U, which had... hmm, counting variants, 51 large monsters, and not counting the variants, hmm, I count 30 (I counted Abyssal Lagi as separate, since it's so wildly different).

Which were the new ones introduced in Tri, btw?

Syril

Maybe they meant 3U, which had... hmm, counting variants, 51 large monsters, and not counting the variants, hmm, I count 30 (I counted Abyssal Lagi as separate, since it's so wildly different).

Which were the new ones introduced in Tri, btw?
Everything was new except Rathian, Rathalos, and Diablos, so that would be...

Great Jaggi, Qurupeco, Barroth, Royal Ludroth, Gobul, Lagiacrus, Gigginox, Barioth, Agnaktor, Great Baggi, Jhen Mohran, Ceadeus, Deviljho, Uragaan, Alatreon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Everything was new except Rathian, Rathalos, and Diablos, so that would be...

Great Jaggi, Qurupeco, Barroth, Royal Ludroth, Gobul, Lagiacrus, Gigginox, Barioth, Agnaktor, Great Baggi, Jhen Mohran, Ceadeus, Deviljho, Uragaan, Alatreon.
Oh, I misread that as "only 3 were new", should have asked which weren't new then haha. Cool.

Top Bottom