• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

I would argue for removing the animation for playing songs and just have it auto play when you hit a string of 4 notes. That way you can play the weapon more aggressively and not have to either find a safe spot to play a song or risk getting hit while playing (its such a long animation).

I don't agree with this. Playing the full song shouldn't be any easier or safer mechanically; the impact it has on a battle is far too much for that.

You can play aggressively while finding the time to play music at the best possible moment; this is a critical part of the learning curve of the weapon. And with maestro and the double note feature, there's even less need to spam music to keep the effects up.

In any case, removing the animation would remove a large part of the damage output HH can achieve during efficient gameplay, as well as a contributing factor to its exhaust potential.

Edit;
I'd suggest a section where you can equip different songs at any time without changing your weapon to keep things consistent when maining the Hunting Horn throughout the game.

I dunno about this one. I wouldn't hate the change personally, but aren't the note styles you have the main deciding reason for the type of horn you're going for.

For example, for GS/Hammer your raw damage would be your primary selling point, for DB element/sharpness would take the cake, while for the gunners it'd be the type of ammo they can equip.

For HH, element/sharpness don't really matter much to the overall point of what the weapon can accomplish. Raw is great, but really what you want to stick with for your encounters are the notes that work. Only really GS/Hammer can afford to go for the highest raw weapon they can and stick with that single one until they get a better one. Most other weapons encourage switching depending on what you're fighting, leading to a wide variety of weapon choices. I would count HH among these.

I don't know if I'd prefer for the game to allow you make a single HH viable for a majority of the game.

HH is basically perfect, and is one of my favorite weapons to use, but I agree that the different colors on some weapons make it a little mindbending for a few seconds. But it takes only a few seconds to figure out the colors, too, so...

Button prompts would be lame if they replace the notes. Maybe they could add button prompts as a little cliffnote by the note, like [musical note]². Probably CONSERVATIVE MH fan--and HH main--speaking, but getting rid of the musical notes of the musical weapon is fucking lame.

What I would like to see is a little more variation to what songs weapons have. Like, objectively, the HHs with pure stat boosts are the best, but it's so boring seeing the same weapon being used (Obzzzidian Horn). Some weapons are pretty useless, too, what with terrible songs. But this is coming from someone who solos with HH and likes to use elemental HHs for weaknesses for variety's sake.

I've loved every improvement I've seen on the weapon, so I know the team will do it justice in World (hopefully), whatever they do.

I don't agree with this. Playing the full song shouldn't be any easier or safer mechanically; the impact it has on a battle is far too much for that.

You can play aggressively while finding the time to play music at the best possible moment; this is a critical part of the learning curve of the weapon. And with maestro and the double note feature, there's even less need to spam music to keep the effects up.

In any case, removing the animation would remove a large part of the damage output HH can achieve during efficient gameplay, as well as a contributing factor to its exhaust potential.
Agreed.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man gunlance videos that don't use the gun are worthless.

Those were vids showing off the hops and dodges by side stepping that both the lance type weapons can do. They actually toned it down a lot as before shit made good players pretty much invincible not to mention you could do even more BS dodging than rolling. So they started adding in more delay and other whatnots to lessen the effect.

Actual Gunlance vids below, where you can see similar things done along with the other newer stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRjimEe1H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5oOeu7Hsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbHMRZxT1k

Fan made gunlance vid, though warning loud music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttosdcda3I

Totally unrelated to the previously discussed topic but just a cool choreographed vid w/ loud music warning lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrYhp90b2EI

Mupod

Monsters I think are likely to return:

Rathian (Obviously, if Rathalos is in)

Tigrex and Deviljho - I feel like their nomadic, ravenous nature would make them a perfect fit for this game. Their interactions with other monsters, intruding on their territory and the ecosystem, stuff like that. They've always played up their belligerence in cutscenes and the lore but this is their chance to do it properly.

Nargacuga - I feel like they've never really been able to show its true nature as a stalking jungle-dwelling predator in the previous games. They could do a lot of cool stuff with Narga, like have it actually try to use stealth to get the drop on hunters.

Qurupeco - Again, a monster that would work well with the revamped AI and territorial aspects of the monsters. Seems like a shoo-in to me just because of the chaos he'd cause.

I expect there to be a similar roster to Tri in terms of size, but also in terms of new original monsters. But those above just seem very likely to me, and if not then I bet there will be monsters that fill those 'roles'.

Ridley327

Tigrex and Deviljho - I feel like their nomadic, ravenous nature would make them a perfect fit for this game. Their interactions with other monsters, intruding on their territory and the ecosystem, stuff like that. They've always played up their belligerence in cutscenes and the lore but this is their chance to do it properly.

Nargacuga - I feel like they've never really been able to show its true nature as a stalking jungle-dwelling predator in the previous games. They could do a lot of cool stuff with Narga, like have it actually try to use stealth to get the drop on hunters.

Qurupeco - Again, a monster that would work well with the revamped AI and territorial aspects of the monsters. Seems like a shoo-in to me just because of the chaos he'd cause.

I expect there to be a similar roster to Tri in terms of size, but also in terms of new original monsters. But those above just seem very likely to me, and if not then I bet there will be monsters that fill those 'roles'.

I just hope we see at least one brand new type of monster. It's been really weird to see a new generation be announced with no signs of a new type, and it's not helping that the new monsters look so similar to existing ones.

It'll be Rathian, Rathalos and Gore Magala. Then everything else will be new.

Calling it now.

Khezu

The only ones I want to return are Rathalos, Rathian, and Kut Ku.

Maybe Peco just because of the monster fight stuff.

Everyone one else should stay gone.

Especially a lot of the newer more over designed annoying monsters like Bach and Gore.
Those guys are an eye sore.

I hope Zinogre and Nargacuga return, if only for their song. So cool
Nargacuga's theme <3.

Especially a lot of the newer more over designed annoying monsters like Bach and Gore.
Kut Ku should stick its head in the ground till it dies.

Qurupeco 100% needs a comeback, but he's probably too good for this washed-out game :^).

Guard countering was a god send to lances, I never liked evade lancing (frankly cause I was terrible at it).

It made dealing with a bunch of targets much easier - and FUN!

the extended 3rd hit introduced in Gen was kinda lukewarm, but the hunter arts for lances were really appreciated.

Toxi

Banned

Gore is one of the best-looking monsters in the series with its incredible animations.

I can't fathom skipping over it for Kut-Ku of all monsters. What does Kut-Ku even bring to the table beyond nostalgia value here?

Parakeetman

I hope Plesioth returns but with PS2 era hip check hitboxes.

AN2hKhh.gif

Parakeetman

I dunno, that still seems too short to be accurate.

Man, was it so rewarding to take revenge over and over and over and over again on him in MH3U. WHERE ARE YOUR BROKEN HITBOXES TO SAVE YOU NOW?!

Worst shit ever in the old days was killing it by accident when it was still in the water then being taunted by its unharvestable corpse floating on the water . Even more so in frontier...

ZangBa

It honestly has to be one of the craziest hitboxes I've seen in a game. Plesioth was a legend back in the day. I don't know how many people used to play MHF over Xlink Kai but Plesioth was the ultimate test for some people, especially all the dying, Fatalis armor wearing hackers.

Ridley327

Worst shit ever in the old days was killing it by accident when it was still in the water then being taunted by its unharvestable corpse floating on the water . Even more so in frontier...

He always knew how to stick the dagger in where it hurt the most. I ran a pretty good routine on him in MH1 largely to help other players out that struggled with him, and even that wasn't foolproof because of someone landing a shot when they weren't supposed to and leading to that unfortunate outcome.

He's a pretty solid reason why I never wavered from GS after all these years. Having that guard option available is just way too valuable.

Kyoufu

I'd like to see Deviljho return. I think he'd fit the ecosystem they're going for since he loves to eat things smaller than himself.

And for a mega boss I'd love White/Crimson Fatalis to return.

But of course, Teostra MUST return. His music theme is too good.

Syril

Gore is one of the best-looking monsters in the series with its incredible animations.

I can't fathom skipping over it for Kut-Ku of all monsters. What does Kut-Ku even bring to the table beyond nostalgia value here?
Kut-Ku is an entry level challenge whose all-around moveset emphasizes the fundamentals of fighting large monsters. If you can learn to fight Kut-Ku you can learn to fight anything.

Ridley327

I'd like to see Deviljho return. I think he'd fit the ecosystem they're going for since he loves to eat things smaller than himself.

And he already has a knack for getting into places that he shouldn't, too. Plus, his theme song is way too good not to introduce to a new player base that have NO idea what's in store when he comes around.

Parakeetman

He always knew how to stick the dagger in where it hurt the most. I ran a pretty good routine on him in MH1 largely to help other players out that struggled with him, and even that wasn't foolproof because of someone landing a shot when they weren't supposed to and leading to that unfortunate outcome.

He's a pretty solid reason why I never wavered from GS after all these years. Having that guard option available is just way too valuable.

In frontier we all had to use bows or guns to break the fin as most of the time the game thought it was funny to spawn the largest possible size. We learned pretty fast to stop shooting at it when it was in the water.

For whatever god forsaken reason in early Frontier the stupid fin was needed for so much stuff.

And he already has a knack for getting into places that he shouldn't, too. Plus, his theme song is way too good not to introduce to a new player base that have NO idea what's in store when he comes around.

tumblr_inline_natv8sV9rj1qhtts5.gif

Sayad

Being a great beginners friendly monster, newcomers aren't going to be thrown in the wild for 'los to eat right at the start.

Gore Magala is definitely essential. There will also almost certainly be at least 3 elder dragons (most likely 1 new one, Alatreon, and a random pick) and a new flagship monster.

There will probably be a Volvidon/Lagombi equivalent, a Barroth/Uragaan equivalent and a Barioth/Nargacuga equivalent too. My guess is that Capcom will have a more varied lineup than vanilla Tri.

I think we'll also get a better idea of what monsters are returning based on how many environments we get. I feel like the Volcano will be combined with another area, maybe a Misty Peaks style mountainous region. Sandy Plains returning would also be interesting, since the day/night cycle would require shifting from cool drinks to hot drinks in real time. I don't see a cold area making it in. The snow/ice monsters always suck anyway.

Kyoufu

Deviljho was ahead of his time in Tri. He ate monsters (MHW feature) and opened up new areas in maps after a certain point (MHW feature).

He has to be in MHW.

Gore Magala is definitely essential. There will also almost certainly be at least 3 elder dragons (most likely 1 new one, Alatreon, and a random pick) and a new flagship monster.

There will probably be a Volvidon/Lagombi equivalent, a Barroth/Uragaan equivalent and a Barioth/Nargacuga equivalent too. My guess is that Capcom will have a more varied lineup than vanilla Tri.

I think we'll also get a better idea of what monsters are returning based on how many environments we get. I feel like the Volcano will be combined with another area, maybe a Misty Peaks style mountainous region. Sandy Plains returning would also be interesting, since the day/night cycle would require shifting from cool drinks to hot drinks in real time. I don't see a cold area making it in. The snow/ice monsters always suck anyway.
Barioth is my favorite monster. Gigginox was a blast, too.

Man, I love the Tundra theme for these guys.

Mupod

Gore Magala is definitely the monster I most want to see with this level of graphical fidelity. He might get in just because he's apparently in that stupid movie they're making, too. But yeah the animation work they put in on that thing was so good it was impressive even on the 3DS.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gigginox is one of my favourite monsters. He's disgusting and grotesque, but in a cool way, and pretty original and strangely... believable? And just really fun to fight with a gunner.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Goddammit GAF. Participating in this thread and reminiscing monsters and looking up stuff about monsters make me so damn impatient for this game. It's all your fault! :D

Ridley327

Gigginox is one of my favourite monsters. He's disgusting and grotesque, but in a cool way, and pretty original and strangely... believable? And just really fun to fight with a gunner.

He's what happened when someone realized that the concept of Khezu needed to be fun to fight.

Honestly, I think the core new large monster additions in Tri are the best the series has ever produced. Not as much variety in terms of the spread as one would like, which makes sense given that they were hellbent on making leviathans and brute wyverns a staple from that point forward, but there's not a single stinker in the bunch, and they all brought their own unique bag of tricks to the table.

No, Great Jaggi/Baggi don't count. Raptors never count.

He was robbed in later entries when they put Khezu in instead of him. Like, really? No music against Khezu = snooze fest :(. I just can't bring myself to like it for that reason.

Damn right

Reminds me of Soul Blade music for some reason...
My favorite Soul Blade track (besides the sweet intro): Future Dancin'

Kyoufu

Goddammit GAF. Participating in this thread and reminiscing monsters and looking up stuff about monsters make me so damn impatient for this game. It's all your fault! :D

I've known about this game since 2015 and it's been painful waiting for the announcement let alone the release. @_____@

Ridley327

FWIW, Khezu used to be a lot more interesting prior to MH4U, since its blindness was an actual gameplay mechanic: since he couldn't see, that meant you couldn't be spotted, which meant that you couldn't panic dive as a result, creating some interesting situations to have to handle dodging its attacks. For some strange reason, they finally gave him a spotted status in 4U, which turns him into a complete joke and makes no sense at all.

The lack of music was also supposed to play up its considerably creepier nature compared to the rest of the monsters, but I don't think they ever really did dark caves again after gen 1, so the impact was lessened. He could honestly be a pretty good candidate for a total overhaul with what they're trying to sell with the ecology of this game, especially if you're being chased into a small cave and all of a sudden, you wake him up and he comes plopping down. He won't try to attack the monster, but because of its roar, it'll repel right off and then go after you for snack time.

Apart from monsters having a fixed spawn for any given quest and each monster being limited to a handful of areas to actually use on each map, there were several options to auto-track the monster on the minimap. Either by slotting in the appropriate armor skill, using a specific hunting horn song, getting a special feylne food skill or just chucking down a potion named "psychoserum" at the start of the quest, which you could get from the NPC shop keeper for chump change.

Just saying.

Also waving at the airship displays the monster location for a time.

Syril

Oh man, I cannot wait for the return of keyboard chatting. Tri was seriously the last game where I chatted with randoms constantly.

Top Bottom