• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

The_Lump

Banned
It's really unfortunate that this game is such a mess. I keep wanting to go back to it but it seems every game I play shows me more reasons to regret this purchase (I downloaded it too).

1. I see more clipping of the ball in this version than I have in many many years. Times when I am going up for a rebound and the ball passes through the neck and chest of a my player and directly into the hands of the opposing player.

2. The player reactions are horribly slow. I'm not sure if this is to represent defensive and offensive awareness ratings but some players barely react when going for blocks and rebounds.

3. The on ball defense is like holding two magnets with similar poles together (north to north). I try to get into a lock down defensive stance and my defender will almost slide by the ball handler. There is no rational reason for this to happen. Seriously.

4. Help defense and the lack of defensive pressure settings. I can't get any of my players to just stay with their man. Everyone is always floating around near the key. And that is with my focus set to limit outside shots and and limit transition. Offensive players are always open.
I have tried changing the help defense strength slider but I can't say if it's had an impact at all.

I love parts of this game. But it feels so incredibly barebones it's hard to enjoy it. And the modes I do like are either ridiculous time sinks or just a way to make you spend money downloading in game currency.

I love the My Team mode. Pretty much my perfect game mode. But buying a pack of silver levels players (I don't even know how many players I would get in a pack) costs 27,000 points. A win gets me 5000 points and a loss has gotten me 750. So I need to play and win 6 games just to unlock a pack of cards that could very likely contain less than 5 players???
Painful.

If anyone can tell me how to tweak the game better please let me know.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this. I thought I'd just become terrible at sports games overnight!

I'd also add that the overall presentation just seems rushed and a bit basic. Going from Fifa 14 (for example) to this is pretty jarring; One is massively easy and intuitive to navigate, on is NBA2K14. (fyi I'm aware they are different sports, but I compare them because they are sports sims with similar depth and features).

Saying that, I'm having a lot of fun trying to master the nuances of the gameplay, and visually it really is stunning at times.

Future

So I got this game as a gift. Started playing offline because didnt access to the net at my family's place.

Haven't patched anything yet, not even the day one patch. Should I? I'm playing mycareer just fine now offline, and it sounds like patches will change that. Do the patches make anything better?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
If I delete MyPlayer, do I get all the VC I recieved get refunded automatically?
Or do I have to get / buy new VC?

Is this a serious question? Just in case, no you don't get automatically refunded. Please don't tell me you really thought that it was a possibility.

So is there any way for me to carry this VC I keep getting from locker codes over to myplayer mode? I have about 30,000 saved up.

I had this problem too. See you and I foolishly thought that we could start playing the game when we got it. Unfortunately for us we started our careers before 2k decided to bait and switch everyone with an online only gameplay patch. If you want your VC linked across modes you'll have to start a new career whenever they decide to turn their shitty ass servers back on.

lefantome

I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this. I thought I'd just become terrible at sports games overnight!

I'd also add that the overall presentation just seems rushed and a bit basic. Going from Fifa 14 (for example) to this is pretty jarring; One is massively easy and intuitive to navigate, on is NBA2K14. (fyi I'm aware they are different sports, but I compare them because they are sports sims with similar depth and features).

Saying that, I'm having a lot of fun trying to master the nuances of the gameplay, and visually it really is stunning at times.

we're not alone!

I'm thinking to trade it again asap

Vinneh

Banned
Is this a serious question? Just in case, no you don't get automatically refunded. Please don't tell me you really thought that it was a possibility.
No, just hoping :p
So if you bought $20 worth of points and wasn't happy with how you'd built your player, your money is lost... shame really.

Lexxism

I had this problem too. See you and I foolishly thought that we could start playing the game when we got it. Unfortunately for us we started our careers before 2k decided to bait and switch everyone with an online only gameplay patch. If you want your VC linked across modes you'll have to start a new career whenever they decide to turn their shitty ass servers back on.

This is what happened to me. When I first play this game on launch, mycareer wasn't unified with the server. You have to create a new one for you to see the unified VC. That's what I have now on my 2nd mycareer save.

CD'S BAR

shot 18/18 from the field with '97-'98 Tim Duncan at the end of the 3rd last night against my bro LOL. Missed a few shots in the 4th though.

Is this OT only for PS4 or can I ask a Xbone question?

If so I just got the game today and after going into quick match the xbox made a not extreme but very noticeable kind of high pitched grinding type noise like the game was spinning at warp speed but the odd thing is I have the whole thing installed. When the match started it went away. All my other games play fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

DietRob

No, just hoping :p
So if you bought $20 worth of points and wasn't happy with how you'd built your player, your money is lost... shame really.

Personally I don't think it's a bad idea. If you buy $20 worth of upgrades they should always be there. I don't really see why this isn't possible now that 2k made the game online only post launch. So long as they can see (through the cloud save) that you deleted your original player it would be a great thing for them to be able to credit you the VC again. Doing that might take some of the sting out of their terrible design decisions that revolve around microtransactions.

However, that isn't the way it works and it will never work that way. 2k and Visual Concepts is completely willing to continue fucking over their fanbase and really should get just as much shit about it as EA Sports does. But, it's pretty to look at so it doesn't.

I know this is the PS4 thread, but I have this for the X1 and I can't play my player mode at all right now. Is it because their servers are down?

Weak sauce on this if that's the case. Always online games. Incredible.

Ahh, this is what happened to me. I have 8000 vc that I can't use in myplayer. I don't think I want to start over.

Seems 2K have solved the server issue. They are just going to wait until the Christmas-New Year peak time is over then reconnect the servers. Have fun guys!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
FINALLY able to get back on mygm. It erased what myplayer looks like and his name, so I need to change that back.

jjasper

Thanks for posting the link to the points.

I know this is the PS4 thread, but I have this for the X1 and I can't play my player mode at all right now. Is it because their servers are down?

Weak sauce on this if that's the case. Always online games. Incredible.

Yes it is the reason. Its fucking garbage.

Omiee

a friend wants to know if he buys the digital version for 30 euro if he can use the 15 euro discount to upgrade to a ps4 version?

that would mean its costs 45 euro in stead of 70 euro as in the store.

Breemin

I was duped into buying the PS3 version thinking I can trade up to the PS4 version for $10. When I took it to GameStop they looked at me like I was a moron.

I hade to trade it in and pay $30 for the PS4 version, which if I may add has the most amazing graphics but the stupidest MyCareer AI in existence.

One week into January and my first starting gig is against the Cavaliers lol

oh yeah so the shit is up. and you do have to make a new 'my player'----but your save file will be fine (your guy will be different if you make it that way). at least that's how it was with me. i hope

One week into January and my first starting gig is against the Cavaliers lol

oh yeah so the shit is up. and you do have to make a new 'my player'----but your save file will be fine (your guy will be different if you make it that way). at least that's how it was with me. i hope

I just logged into MyTeam. Let's see if it holds up.

*edit* Great. It logged me out of the whole game. Fucking never ending.

Yeah, MyTeam is still down. Fuck them.

Guiz

but if you buy the digital version from the eu sale you can upgrade digitally right?

Yes I just did that. But don't forget that NBA 2k14 upgrade is 15€ which makes the full game 45€ on ps4. Don't think it´s a bad deal though...

DietRob

This piece of shit working again for my career? Guess I'll go find out.

edit: Nope. Still 'unable to connect to 2k servers'. Seems like it's time for me to say goodbye to it while I can still get a decent amount of trade in credit.

edit2: Wonder if this ebay description will turn people off lol:
"I don't want this game anymore. There have been some online issues and the way 2k has implemented virtual currency into the game is a real turn off for me. Maybe someone else can enjoy it. Oh, it's always online too. So if you don't have an internet connection or if 2k's servers are down you can't access your save files. Hopefully someone else can enjoy it. I don't."

DietRob

Well, that was quick already sold for 47.58 including shipping.

Bye bye NBA2k

LOL I ended up coming out up 6 bucks since I got this on Amazon's buy 2 get 1 deal and only paid 39 bucks for it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well, that was quick already sold for 47.58 including shipping.

Bye bye NBA2k

LOL I ended up coming out up 6 bucks since I got this on Amazon's buy 2 get 1 deal and only paid 39 bucks for it.

Such a shame :-/. I understand it, and you got a good deal, but the core gameplay is really fun. Too bad 2k screwed it all up. Pissed that I can't link all my VC since my character is already ridiculously upgraded, but I can't spend that 30k on him.

Top Bottom