• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

jmizzal

Just played it on Switch, pretty fun, D-Wade was really good to play with

The shot timing is gonna take a few games to get adjusted, but it looks good on my tv, the games is not as fast as NBA Jam tho.

I would be pretty into this game if it wasn't pretty easy to hit threes with trash shooters but I'm 1/25ish on fast break layups with Chris freaking Paul.

To beat the last tournament game I played I had to pull up every layup into a jumper to make sure I had any chance of points.

derFeef

Ouch I am pretty bad at this game, haha and it's all due to not being able to score 3 pointers. Are timings different across players, how does it work exactly?`
Also Rodman please :(

Jeff Gerstmann just said on the bombcast that it does not feel great and I trust him with arcade basketball. I am still going to buy it since he sometimes exaggerate a bit and 20$ is not that bad - hopefully they tweak it a lot.
I don't think it immediately feels good, because the timing on a lot of things seems off until you really dial it in. After a few games though I think this game feels fantastic

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Spam that shit.

Love hearing my boy Ian Eagle in this #WFAN

Edit - HOLY SHIT WALT CLYDE!!! GOTF

Walt carried me to my first tournament championship.

MrBlonde

I would be pretty into this game if it wasn't pretty easy to hit threes with trash shooters but I'm 1/25ish on fast break layups with Chris freaking Paul.

To beat the last tournament game I played I had to pull up every layup into a jumper to make sure I had any chance of points.

I am buying this tonight on the Xbox One however I am concerned about this and hope it gets patched, way to many close easy shots and layups being missed in the videos ive watched.

Oresama

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but twitch streamer DeepNDat just confirmed steals consume stamina bar in the release version of the game.

andthebeatgoeson

The first two priorities are:

Switch Online, which has already been submitted to Nintendo for certification
Loading times

Source: I interviewed the developers yesterday and the video goes live in 50 minutes.
Oh nice. I'm glad they addressing it. I'm hopeful. 20 bucks is an impulse.

Oresama

Ouch I am pretty bad at this game, haha and it's all due to not being able to score 3 pointers. Are timings different across players, how does it work exactly?`
Also Rodman please :(

I believe it's player dependant.

I was sinking threes with Kyle Lowry, swapped to Dell Curry and the timing was different.

Same for dunks, 2 pointers.

i'm waiting for the patch to get it, but disappointing to see the ridic range most 3 point shooters have. is it just a 3 point chuckfest online?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just unlocked John Stockton. Time to get dirty!

What's up with the random, violent vibrations that seem like phone notifications when playing in Switch handheld mode?! I've never heard my Switch make such a noise and I have no clue what is triggering the "buzz buzz" in game.

Will also back up the claims of blurriness in Switch handheld mode. It's weird looking.

That vibration happens when you try to do a special move but don't have enough stamina.

How do I change my team??

On Switch, press "B" on the player select screen. It will unlock your team and take you back through the player select process.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
That vibration happens when you try to do a special move but don't have enough stamina.

Ahhhhh, ok. Now I need to figure out which move I'm trying and failing to do lol

Games legit, but three's seem pretty easy with decent shooters. And undocked on switch this game looks pretty trash, the colors look muted to all hell.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but twitch streamer DeepNDat just confirmed steals consume stamina bar in the release version of the game.

Yea steals do cost bar and don't seem to be nearly as rampant as people described pre-release.

Just spent a couple hours in single player and the game is fun so far.

Still haven't really figured out the timing for lay ups. Missing a bunch of easy shots can be frustrating.

Also the 2x dunk boost seems overpowered as hell.

GeeDuhb

They need to give an ETA on when we can play against friends online. It needs to have that and soon.

I believe they said the update has already been submitted for certification.

I was browsing the impression on Switch Reddit (link to thread)

Supposedly the developer commented on ACG's review about the state of the game and future content. I haven't seen this on GAF so I'm sharing it.

I haven't verified this (and it sounds like maybe they didn't either) but it seems legit

Yeah, it was posted earlier in the thread, so it is legit.

JohngPR

Jeff Gerstmann just said on the bombcast that it does not feel great and I trust him with arcade basketball. I am still going to buy it since he sometimes exaggerate a bit and 20$ is not that bad - hopefully they tweak it a lot.

I don't agree. They added a stamina penalty on steals (compared to the online beta)which really helped with the flow of the game. The only real complaints I have is that it's difficult to gauge rebounds and the 3 point shot is still kind of OP when playing online.

BasicCable

Neo Member
Steam maintenance started and I got kicked back to the main screen with an error about network status.

I'd be ok with this, but I was playing single player. Oh well.

jmizzal

Yea steals do cost bar and don't seem to be nearly as rampant as people described pre-release.

Just spent a couple hours in single player and the game is fun so far.

Still haven't really figured out the timing for lay ups. Missing a bunch of easy shots can be frustrating.

Also the 2x dunk boost seems overpowered as hell.

Yea timing on layups is the only thing I havent figured out yet

Just won the NY tourny, Knicks are not that good lol took me a few tries, had to go 2006 D-Wade on them lol

Edit
Sweet Gold pack gave me Westbrook and John Wall

mazillion

Well, I decided get the switch version despite some doubts.

I'll probably come back and post my thoughts later.

Off topic but...

eShop download speeds are sooooo slow. I have gigabit internet so 7.4gb should only take a couple minutes but it's been 20 minutes and I am only halfway done downloading.

AGoodODST

Once you get the timings down it starts to click. It's good fun. Though I agree the 3 point shot is super OP. Players with a high stat it's really hard to miss.

Switch version here and it runs fine. It looks pretty bad though. I've not seen the other versions to compare but eh. I mean the games fun so it doesn't bother me but I know other folk care about that.

Also they have to sort that vibration. It's ridiculous.

Game is doing so many thing right.

The menu music is so funky. My cat and I are literally grooving over here. What a pleasant surprise. Who knew I liked the auto-harmonizer so much.

Also, starting the game with
opening packs of cards to see who is on your team and hitting that RNG itch right away
. . . brilliant.
First card was Larry Johnson, and as an old school Knicks fan, it really made me smile.

Seriously, this game is more than the sum of its parts. Don't let nitpicking in reviews hold you back if you liked NBA Jam/Street.

PS4 (Pro) here.

ElNino

Right this second on Switch, NO, but it is coming in the next few days (hopefully). XBO and PS4 have online now.
XBO and PS4 have online play, but as far I can recall I couldn't invite someone to a game from my friends list. It was matchmaking only as far as I could tell. I presume that is what they are referring to for playing your friends (as well as the 2v2 online games).

fernoca

I really suck at this, but it is fun.

So, what's the best way to unlock packs? Or it is just through leveling up?

Playing by myself and then with a friend locally has only been enough for 1 level up/card pack. Can you get more in tournament mode?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I really suck at this, but it is fun.

So, what's the best way to unlock packs? Or it is just through leveling up?

Playing by myself and then with a friend locally has only been enough for 1 level up/card pack. Can you get more in tournament mode?

Tournaments give packs too. Gold packs have a guaranteed legendary.

Top Bottom