• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

I freaking ADORED NBA Jam back in the day.

Not looking or expecting a Street clone.

How is the game as a Jam throwback? Definitely eyeing it for Switch (I expect the weird issues to be ironed out)

ViciousDS

Banned
Bought for my switch, totally fucking excited for a portable basketball game.

I have high hopes for NBA 2K.......god the switch has the most potential of any of the systems. I just grabbed another one for a coworkers friend since he couldn't find one.

I said get them now because it's going to be literally impossible to find them this holiday

First two packs
tvbwImH.jpg

FJ7n26V.jpg

Got Willis Reed in the third pack.

LAM09

Game is doing so many thing right.

The menu music is so funky. My cat and I are literally grooving over here. What a pleasant surprise. Who knew I liked the auto-harmonizer so much.

Also, starting the game with
opening packs of cards to see who is on your team and hitting that RNG itch right away
. . . brilliant.
First card was Larry Johnson, and as an old school Knicks fan, it really made me smile.

Seriously, this game is more than the sum of its parts. Don't let nitpicking in reviews hold you back if you liked NBA Jam/Street.

PS4 (Pro) here.

That's good to hear. Haven't played an NBA game since Street Vol 2, so something close to that is enough for me to jump in.

C.J. McCollum is OP in this game. Smashing through tournaments with him and C Webb.

Also, don't get the reviews saying the timing for shots is off. Git gud.

bumpkin

Won my first solo (offline) tournament on the Switch. It took me multiple tries to get past the third team in the tourney, I'm glad they don't make you start over if you lose. I'm still trying to get a handle on the shot timing though. Same goes for alley-oops. I wish they'd add a simple practice mode where you can just mess around and get a feel for the controls.

Won my first solo (offline) tournament on the Switch. It took me multiple tries to get past the third team in the tourney, I'm glad they don't make you start over if you lose. I'm still trying to get a handle on the shot timing though. Same goes for alley-oops. I wish they'd add a simple practice mode where you can just mess around and get a feel for the controls.
Alley-oops are still the thing I can't wrap my head around. Sometimes trying them the ball just flies to the other side of the court. I have no idea on what the timing for that is meant to be, and setting them up takes forever

I managed to get the challenge for completeing an alley-oop but it took me almost an entire game of attempts. I'm glad you don't have to complete the challenge *and* win for it to count (though now my win/loss in the stats screen is garbage)

This game is so much fun in local multiplayer (Switch). Reminds me of the N64 days...good old fun.

edit: It's like Beach Spikers. Easy to learn but hard to master (when you play against humans not NPC's)

CD'S BAR

This is fun but the shot release is too ambiguous. Is there a method to it, like releasing at the apex of the motion?

Fragment

Kobe and MJ are not at the moment. I read an alleged dev post on reddit that stated licensing MJ was too expensive so it's not in the cards yet. Kobe's probably coming down the road.

That explains to me why Trey Burke is in this game.. he probably had to pay the game dev to get his name in there.

selo

Yikes too many pages now, what's the verdict on the switch version? (I only play in handheld so docked mode is not a factor)

mazillion

Impressions first hour Switch undocked:

Graphics and performance
Yeah, it's blurry and theres a lot of aliasing. Initially I found it distracting but once I was in the heat of an intense match I stopped noticing it. You get used to it. I'd like Saber to improve resolution in the future but it's not as much of a deal-breaker as I was worried it would be. I noticed one time the frame-rate dropped pretty hard for a second when initiating an alley-oop, otherwise it's totally smooth. Overall, i'm not playing this game for the graphics and if I stop noticing it during gameplay then it's not a major problem for me.

Gameplay
Can't speak for the balance yet and I'm still getting my ass handed to me by the AI. The only other basketball game i've played is NBA Street Vol 2 and right before playgrounds was announced I happened to revisit Street Vol 2 on a nostalgia trip. So compared to Street Vol 2, playgrounds challenges you in a different way. It's pretty easy to land shots and dunks in Vol 2 but the challenge came from building up combos and doing tricks. The challenge in Playgrounds seems to come more from precision, timing, and counter-plays (like using the dribble tricks to avoid steals). The gameplay in Playgrounds is a bit slower too to accommodate the more traditional style offense/defense of the game. I was personally really hoping for something closer to Street but I'm not disappointed(or surprised by this after seeing the gameplay).

The "feel" of the game is outstanding though. Landing dunks and shots is always satisfying. Dunks in particular, they really know how to emphasize it with good use of slow-mo and camera zoom at the right moment to give it that sense of impact when it lands. It really gets me amped up! Especially when the commentators go berserk over it.

That's another thing, I have heard lots of complains about the commentators but I don't have any so far. Granted, I have never played any of the Jam games so it's possible those are leauges better but I am enjoying the commentary, their making fun of my horrible plays makes me laugh.

The shot timing is definitely as vauge as people are saying, I have no idea when I am supposed to be releasing the button. I have been doing mostly dunks because for some reason I can almost always get those, meanwhile I only land like 1 in 10 regular shots. I suppose it's possible I was playing with 2 horrible shooters, I just picked the only 2 epics I had for my team. I'll have to check their stats and see what's up. I'd be curious to know how much of a impact the stats of the players have on their performance.

Final (initial) Thoughts
Pleasantly surprised, I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm giving Saber Interactive the benefit of the doubt so I hope they can deliver on post-launch support, there are definitely a few edges to polish. I think another game mode wouldn't hurt, but for $20 bucks the value isn't bad. The gameplay is good enough to give you plenty of hours of fun.

Life is good.

Spoils from going 4-0 in my first tourney. Pro-tip: This game is just like the NBA. 3-pointers rule. Master the timing, and you can master the game.

It's like infinitely easier to hit a 3 than a lay up in this game lol.

3s feel almost 100% accuracy once you get the timing down with a good shooter.

Can't figure out the timing on the layups for the life of me. Feel like I'm using the same timing every time, sometime it will hit, sometime it will say too early and other times too late. Makes no sense. What is the secret?

It's like infinitely easier to hit a 3 than a lay up in this game lol.

3s feel almost 100% accuracy once you get the timing down with a good shooter.

Can't figure out the timing on the layups for the life of me. Feel like I'm using the same timing every time, sometime it will hit, sometime it will say too early and other times too late. Makes no sense. What is the secret?

Are you using players with high 2-point shot stat? I was using Adams on Golden State, and he was making layups and short jumpers no problem.

Totally agree about 3-pointers. And I just got Steph.

I hear undocked the game is a bit rubbish? Is the docked mode pretty decent quality?
It's decent for sure but if resolution is everything to you, it will be offputting.
I care about resolution though not to the extreme.
I was worried it'd be a "mess" some view it as but was relieved as I don't find it that bad at all.
If they could get it higher though, awesome.
Oh, nevermind, was explaining undocked, read you wrong.

v1lla21

Love how the game plays tbh. The timing feels good once you get the hang of it and thr game is legit fun. Only downside for me so far is launching without MP but that's coming so I ain't tripping much.

I need to learn to block Lmao. Otherwise I'm okay.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm probably shooting 80+% on 3-pointers and under 10% on layups...

MrBlonde

I like the game but it's pretty ridiculous that I am more comfortable pulling up for 3s all the time because ally oops, layups, dunks and easy shots are easily missed because of the timing bullshit, it feels pretty random and not right. If they tweak this with an update I will love this game, it really has potential with a couple tweaks.

Way to many dunks and layups being missed, please fix this. Other then that nice job.

*got Lebron and the 10 in dunks is nice but the rest of his stats should all be 1 higher then they are, not that impressed but I'll have to see how he plays tomorrow only had time for an hour tonight. John Walls should be a little better too.

nickerous

I'm loving it so far. Got Shaq, Dell Curry, Walton, and Worthy so far. First two packs had Alex English and Spud Webb. Been playing as those the most. I'm not as bad as I thought I would be. Won more than I lost. Think I have played 11 games and have won 7 or 8 of them. Won two tournaments, but can't get all the trophies during them. I suck at blocking shots. I think I have blocked two shots in 11 games.

So uh I beat all the Tournaments already.

The final match in Las Vegas is cheese.

Cheddar goddamn cheese.

Shaq shoots the three ball like he's a demigod.

I used a squad of Blake Griffin and Paul George the entire time.

Paul George is money with the three ball.

I like the game but it's pretty ridiculous that I am more comfortable pulling up for 3s all the time because ally oops, layups, dunks and easy shots are easily missed because of the timing bullshit, it feels pretty random and not right. If they tweak this with an update I will love this game, it really has potential with a couple tweaks.

Way to many dunks and layups being missed, please fix this. Other then that nice job.

This is where I'm at. The game needs to at least explain the timing mechanic. So frustrating losing a close game when I missed a handful of what should have been easy layups and dunks. Just makes me want to go for a 3 every time cause I rarely miss those.

Dipship31

So I'm hoping it feels a little deeper once online play becomes available, but for the single player for now is there any reason to not just jack 3's? This was like my 3rd played game ever:

KJU0xta.jpg

Top Bottom