• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JANUARY 2013 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods (Happy New Year!)!

Iacobellis

Just wanted to mention here that poster Marwan (the ferrari-owning dude from UAE, previous poster here, banned twice) passed away on 23 December. I know he was known as a bit of a meterialistic dude but he was, across-the board, a very genorous dude who wore is heart on is sleave. A bit tragic since he was so young. He really loved gaming. RIP.

I don't think I knew who he was, but R.I.P. nonetheless.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just wanted to mention here that poster Marwan (the ferrari-owning dude from UAE, previous poster here, banned twice) passed away on 23 December. I know he was known as a bit of a meterialistic dude but he was, across-the board, a very genorous dude who wore is heart on is sleave. A bit tragic since he was so young. He really loved gaming. RIP.

This is so sad. My condolences to everyone who knew him. :(

Yes Boss!

As for Marwan,

Don't really know the circumstances. He posted his usual christmas pics from UAE/Dubai then a few days later his dad posted a message how it was bad to loose a son. The other message was from his mother, but in arabic, so I'm not sure what it said. I think something about a seisure.

I was only an internet friend but we shared a great deal since I grew up a few hundred miles from him, in the Kingdom, and we shared a bunch of the same likes such as Nintendo, the Lebanese singer Fairuz and Madonna.

Build a pc for the first time and got sleeping dogs on sale.

p2_zpsd68b36a9.jpg

SD_zps869d174d.png

LadyRiven

Oh dear. That's terrible. My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

Grief.exe

Build a pc for the first time and got sleeping dogs on sale.

p2_zpsd68b36a9.jpg

SD_zps869d174d.png

Did you get it while it was on sale for $4.50 this morning? You would have been real lucky if that was the case, but an awesome way to start your PC gaming career.

Keep in mind The Witcher starts off very slow. You have to get a couple chapters deep before it starts to pull you in.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Prepping for a new Macbook Pro to replace my aging iMac. Getting all the new accessories ready ... so nerdy.

8351620889_9d6d417c4f_c.jpg

neoxdonut

photo5_zpsd04fe9b9.jpg

found at goodwill for 20 bucks, box has typical wear for being 10 years old. but the original controller, packaging, pamphlets and remote control are still inside and pretty pristine.

I had this Green Xbox but mine doesn’t work anymore it just has a red light when I try to turn it on, it was an awesome console.

Nisa65

P1020231_zps72cfe788.jpg

Completed my 360 Cave shooter collection after finally spotting a second hand copy of Ketsui for a decent price.

P1020224_zpsf56583a3.jpg

Completed my collection of X-Japan studio albums too after hunting for Dahlia for a while.

P1020209_zpsa42f402c.jpg

Picked up the Monhan hat and T-Shirt at the Capcom store in Kobe.

P1020226_zps6625d0be.jpg

Picked up Nintendoland and Wii Karaoke U in Osaka and spotted EX Troopers going cheap at my local Geo last night. The other gubbins (bag and stickers)I got at the Capcom store and the Tri G item guide I picked up the other week to help me figure out wtf I need to do for certain materials.

293544_10152383075800582_964639399_n_zps1e128358.jpg

Couldn't resist buying these as soon as I spotted them.

jbueno

It's part of a double pack with 1.5. They re-released the platinum collection version with both on one disc.

I think he means DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label EX, the port by 5pb, not Daifukkatsu Black Label which was bundled in a double pack with 1.5 Daifukkatsu. A bit rare since it wasn´t reprinted due to 5pb using code from Arika´s PS2 port without permission.

Here´s the boxart of 360 Daioujou.

Vee_One

Really sorry to hear that, remember his posts and constantly being amazed. R.I.P

Nisa65

Yep, I was referring to the game jbueno mentioned.

Are there any major differences between Black Label and Black Label EX? I've seen second hand copies of EX around but never realised it was any different.

Edit

Oh wait, EX is a port of the one that came out on PS2?

hongcha

Are there any major differences between Black Label and Black Label EX? I've seen second hand copies of EX around but never realised it was any different.

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label is a totally different game than Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label EX. Both are great! Black Label EX includes three game modes: Original Daioujou, Daioujou Black Label, and X-Mode (a really nice arrange mode). Yes, it is a port of the PS2 game but includes the new arrange mode and the Black Label version, neither of which are found in the PS2 game.

Nisa65

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label is a totally different game than Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label EX. Both are great! Black Label EX includes three game modes: Original Daioujou, Daioujou Black Label, and X-Mode (a really nice arrange mode). Yes, it is a port of the PS2 game but includes the new arrange mode and the Black Label version, neither of which are found in the PS2 game.

Thanks man.

Just ordered it from Amazon.jp :)

Now to wait for Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Did you get it while it was on sale for $4.50 this morning? You would have been real lucky if that was the case, but an awesome way to start your PC gaming career.

Keep in mind The Witcher starts off very slow. You have to get a couple chapters deep before it starts to pull you in.

No, I got it a couple hours before that sale happened. It was stil a great price and the game has been awesome so far.

Elginer

9dlrm.png

Steam and Amazon buys. Not bad at all, and the Dreamfall pack was gifted by a friend.

BioShock 1 and 2
Spec Ops: The Line
The Secret World
Borderlands 2
Far Cry 3
Dark Souls
Braid
Broken Sword pack
Hitman Absolution
Dreamfall
The Longest Journey
Hotline Miami
KOTOR II
LOTR: War in the North
Mark of the Ninja
Sideway
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Max Payne 3
Tomb Raider Underworld
Torchlight II

Nisa65

The platinum collection did have both games, but they weren't on one disc -- still two separate discs. Just to clarify.

Yeah, just checked. You're right. I have a nasty habit of buying these games and barely playing them. Been buying every one of them for completions sake more than anything even though I always enjoy them.

P1020224_zpsf56583a3.jpg

Completed my collection of X-Japan studio albums too after hunting for Dahlia for a while.

293544_10152383075800582_964639399_n_zps1e128358.jpg

Couldn't resist buying these as soon as I spotted them.

Hell yeah!! X-Japan are awesome! One of the very few metal bands I'm still in the process of discovering. I don't know much about them yet, but the very few songs I heard, are incredible.

Where did you find those shoes? They look pretty cool.

LiK

WAT, I remember him. Even chatted with a few times in the pick-ups thread. Very sad to hear. RIP

Nisa65

Hell yeah!! X-Japan are awesome! One of the very few metal bands I'm still in the process of discovering. I don't know much about them yet, but the very few songs I heard, are incredible.

Where did you find those shoes? They look pretty cool.

Stylistically X-Japan are all over the place. One minute they're playing really fast and technical speed metal then the next minute they're playing 8 minute long piano based ballads. There's some Def Leppard/Skid Row style hard rock in there too and towards the end they were throwing in more Industrial style stuff as well. They're a great band live too. Was lucky enough to see them play at the Summer Sonic festival in 2011. Marty Friedman does a good job of summing them up on the Global Metal documentary by Sam Dunn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpuxqQw04RA

I'd recommend checking out the Art of Life album. It's just one song that lasts for 29 minutes that perfectly encapsulates everything the band is about.

The shoes I got from ABC Mart in Osaka. I'm pretty sure they would be easy enough to purchase anywhere that sells Vans tbh.

JEKKI

aw man RIP :(

that guy played Outrun... but in real life!!

I can only honor him by playing Outrun in video game form.

QsmrJ.jpg

I think I've never spent this much in a past holidays.
Next to go, Ni No Kuni. I hope to stop spending my money as soon as possible, lol.

isny

napkin dispenser
First U-Stream class being offered by Rob Paulsen, best known as Pinky from Pinky and the Brain and Yakko from Animaniacs. $75 per class, so just purchased the first one to begin with.

9Wy9V.jpg

Wow that's horrible and RIP Marwan. You weren't afraid to show how exuberant you were over your stuff, despite maybe rubbing some people the wrong way. You were still a good guy and much condolences to friends and family.

That said, I picked up a few things over the weekend.

Movies:
EAA211EF-D477-44C7-94D4-13EE5C181D2E-3731-000003363527A4D8_zps749b5334.jpg

Some P4 charms (Picked up at Sac-Anime):
38AD8734-E6D0-4E78-A252-CDDB9D0B254D-3731-000003362F0288D9_zpsfa965deb.jpg

Belated Christmas present from a friend that I got (met up at Sac-Anime):
25211D14-24F7-45DA-9186-1BD17F3D8301-3731-000003363AFA3A55_zps560fa0a2.jpg

LadyRiven

First U-Stream class being offered by Rob Paulsen, best known as Pinky from Pinky and the Brain and Yakko from Animaniacs. $75 per class, so just purchased the first one to begin with.

9Wy9V.jpg

That's really cool! Let us know how it goes.

IMG_7361.png

This is my DS.
It's my original one that I bought with my own saved money back in middle school.
As you can see, it's heavily used and shows it. (Please excuse how dirty it is!)

Unfortunately it's also got some battle scars and the top screen's hinge is broken off at one point.
IMG_7362.png

IMG_7363.png

IMG_7364.png

So I found this DS for $20 online. Was sold Broken As-Is and untested because the battery was dead.
IMG_7365.png

Like the PSP I bought, I decided to take a gamble and get this one too. Even if it didn't work, it's nice to have one for spare parts that I could harvest the hinge from.

IMG_7366.png

It's a little scratched up, but it's in good enough condition.
I plugged it in to the charger, and...

IMG_7369.png

Ha ha! It works! The internal battery(ies?) is dead so the system settings reset but otherwise it's okay!
(Not pictured: DS game carrier backpack thing that came with it.)
(Fun fact: Used to belong to a kid named Aaron.)

...So then the other day I went to Goodwill because I heard a bunch of people went and donated stuff on December 31st to get in their last minute tax writeoffs.
At Goodwill, I found this.
IMG_7370.png

It was listed as broken for parts, sold as-is with no warranty.
For 10 bucks, it was more than worth it considering it also had an intact hinge.
I could just swap it over from this one instead of the working one.

IMG_7371.png

I took a look at it to see why it was broken. It's pretty grungy and disgusting as you can see, but the touchscreen looks destroyed.
IMG_7372.png

That's not repairable.

Just for fun, I tried plugging it in, and...
IMG_7373.png

Uh oh.

So I left it for a few minutes.
IMG_7380.png

IT LIVES!
The touchscreen doesn't work except for in the extreme bottom left corner, but I didn't have hope for that anyway.

IMG_7381.png

Owned by someone named Miley.
Proof that Nintendium is stronger than any manmade substance.
So two DSes listed as broken, both of which work and just need some TLC (and a new touchscreen).

While I was at that Goodwill, I also found a buttload of stuff that I've wanted for the longest time.
IMG_7374.png

Die Hard Arcade. Me and my brother spent COUNTLESS quarters playing this years ago at CiCi's Pizza.
I never thought I'd actually own the Saturn version and was just about to give up and settle for Dynamite Cop.
Then I found this.
It's in pretty much perfect condition (the case has two cracks but the disc is MINT) and Goodwill was charging half the price that it goes for online.
So happy with this one.

IMG_7375.png

Monster Rancher 3
I like Monster Rancher games.

IMG_7376.png

ToeJam & Earl 3: Mission To Earth
I could have sworn this game was rated M? Anyway I've wanted this since it came out in like 2002.

IMG_7377.png

Conker: Live & Reloaded
While I would have preferred Bad Fur Day (I'm still looking for a copy at a good price), I wanted this version as well.

IMG_7378.png

Power Quest
I've wanted this game for at least 10 years. I used to play it all the time with a friend (he had 2 copies) over the link cable.
It's basically a fighting game but also an RPG.
One of the few 2D fighting games that I actually like.

IMG_7379.png

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Original, non-DX version)
I actually owned this game before (as well as a copy of DX) but both of them got stolen. I bought another DX copy but hadn't found an original.
This one is in pretty awful, disgusting condition but the label itself is nearly perfect so it just needs to be cleaned.

All in all, complete treasure trove.

Oh, and I guess I picked this up too.
IMG_7383.png

I've been certified for a year but never got the physical copy.

Top Bottom