• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JULY Pick-Up Post!(Show us your gaming/non-gaming goods!)

Gagaman

Nabbed this Amiga CD 32 lot today:

241qqeg.jpg

The controller d-pad is a bit arse, but you can plug Mega Drive controllers into it, so that's cool. Owned a Amiga 500+ years ago but was too bulky, this is far more conveniant, and has much faster load times. Now if I could find a copy of Superfrog for it.

Huggers

Doc Evils said:
Mine was an upgrade too, since I finally managed to snap my X820 in half after 2 years and needed a new slim phone. It's actually the same size as the LG Prada but has a slightly wider screen, 3G video calling, 5 Megapixel camera with a flash and a MicoSD slot , all in a nice slim package. The phone it self is made from metal and is brushed on the back so I hopefully wont get this snapped in half. If you can upgrade to this phone and nothing else tickles your fancy I'd recommend it to you.

the upgrade cost me 145 English Queen heads (or £145)

Ok cool, thanks for the impressions. I think I might get it, it looks slick and Samsung are decent

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
iamblades said:
Hook everything up through the receiver and turn the TV speakers off. In an ideal world, there should only be one video cable going to your TV, the receiver should be taking care of everything. I don't know the I/O on that receiver or what devices you are feeding into it though, so I can't tell you exactly how to hook it up for best results.

My setup currently is a bit suboptimal, as i have more video sources that my receiver can switch, so I have to hook some directly to the TV so the video and audio have to be switched separately. My harmony remote makes it just as simple as if the receiver was doing it all though, so I don't mind.

thats my problem, the receiver doesn't have enough inputs. It has an HDMI output, but not in. So when I hook my ps3 up to it, it works fine but I have HDMI going to my tv from the ps3 for video, but I also have the RCA cables from the ps3 going to the surround sound for audio. Since the receiver doesn't have anymore inputs, the 360 goes directly to my tv for audio and video through component and composite.

With my TV, I tried going from my TV's digital audio out coax (orange) to the digital tv/video (orange) of my receiver. I'm not sure if that jack supports audio and that might be why I'm not getting any sound from my TV coming through the surround sound.

edit: would it have something to do with my cable provider (optimum) not having digital cable?

Flek said:
thx man. If it whasnt that expensive i would do it for every nice holyday i have.

Wow all that time that (Book) button has been sitting in iPhoto just staring at me and I never thought about what it actually does. I am so ordering a book of our wedding photos for my wife. $30 for a 20 page hardbound book actually seems like a bargain for me, but I just might still be in shock of how cool and idea it is (and how easy it is to do if you have iPhoto).

Ruprit said:
Why? Because they have vocals? Or that they are becoming popular?

No, neither of those, it's the quality of the sound and the glossy coating of every layer.

It's basically just a pop album at 180bpm...

It's everything drum & bass shouldn't be, and if you have any knowledge of the genre or have been with it for over a decade (like I have) you would understand.

Ruprit

permutated said:
No, neither of those, it's the quality of the sound and the glossy coating of every layer.

It's basically just a pop album at 180bpm...

It's everything drum & bass shouldn't be, and if you have any knowledge of the genre or have been with it for over a decade (like I have) you would understand.

Well shit, I had best return it straight away!

iamblades

h0pper said:
thats my problem, the receiver doesn't have enough inputs. It has an HDMI output, but not in. So when I hook my ps3 up to it, it works fine but I have HDMI going to my tv from the ps3 for video, but I also have the RCA cables from the ps3 going to the surround sound for audio. Since the receiver doesn't have anymore inputs, the 360 goes directly to my tv for audio and video through component and composite.

With my TV, I tried going from my TV's digital audio out coax (orange) to the digital tv/video (orange) of my receiver. I'm not sure if that jack supports audio and that might be why I'm not getting any sound from my TV coming through the surround sound.

edit: would it have something to do with my cable provider (optimum) not having digital cable?

If the signal going through the TV isn't digital, it probably won't pass it through, though I'm sure there are probably some TVs that do that.

Looks like you need a switchbox to make your setup work.

This is why I would avoid the major CE manufacturers when dealing with home theater stuff, all the big brand names focus more on aesthetics and size than functionality. I stick with brands that do nothing but HT stuff.

I definitely recommend finding some kind of switching solution that allows you to put digital through that system. Using RCA stereo input, you almost might as well still be using the TV speakers.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Flek said:
thx man. If it whasnt that expensive i would do it for every nice holyday i have.

I'm actually working on my own photobook using Blurb, which prints the pages with the same printer as the iPhoto service, but isn't quite so expensive. I'll post pics when I finish it and get the book in hand :D

Ruprit said:
Not a problem. I never realized they were that controversial.

You should hear the statement they put out directly to the drum & bass community...

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/pendulum-strike-back/

Pendulum said:
Saying we ‘sold out’ is talking out your ass....I never wanted to make straight up dnb — it was never on the cards.

“Oh, and by the way - I’m not sure if drum and bass is dead or dying (I’ve been in the studio / on tour too long to tell).

“However, if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fucking records for the first time in about 5/6 years, then I’m glad it was us that got to drive the final stake through its stale pig shit heart - and good riddance.

That's a pretty bold statement to say to the community that launched their career....

/Rant.

/Hijack.

(Sorry Gaf)

pickup.JPG

My launch 360 finally died. It even lived another year and a half after doing the x-clamp fix! Well I suppose the timing wasn't too bad with the 20gb price drop. I would highly recommend the Mayer disc to any fans and to anyone that likes to hear fantastic guitar playing. MGS pickups and DS3 are from last month, but I haven't posted in the Pick-Up post in a long while.

Raife

neojubei said:
eBay delivers again. I better leave some good feedback for the fast delivery

DSC05039.jpg

What does one search under to find these on Ebay? "Metal Gear Statue" didn't return any results.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You know, I don't think fate wants me to have a Xbox. Or at least wants me to get a good deal on one.

2vigox3.jpg

The network adapter on this thing is busted after firing up once. Absolutely no way to get online. Back to the store it goes. I was really, really excited to sit down and game for the first time in a long while. =(

Esperado said:
Yeah, I picked it up for 69.99 + tax. Definitely much better than the $40 Thermaltake case I almost got. I kind of wish I would have gotten a smaller case though, because this thing is huge. Next time I build a computer I'll have to keep that in mind.

At first I thought it wasn't going to be that big for the price when I saw it, it was advertised as a Midi-tower case, christ its almost the size of a full tower! Especially the depth of it as well, barely fits inside my desk it sticks out at the front.

Mortal Kombat 1-3 for the Megadrive;

SP_A0313.jpg

Lion King II for the Megadrive, which seems to be a bootleg game;

SP_A0314.jpg

It's set in Japan bizzarely, and Simba can morph into Adult Simba by collecting stars :p

SP_A0315.jpg

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Gagaman said:
Nabbed this Amiga CD 32 lot today:

241qqeg.jpg

The controller d-pad is a bit arse, but you can plug Mega Drive controllers into it, so that's cool. Owned a Amiga 500+ years ago but was too bulky, this is far more conveniant, and has much faster load times. Now if I could find a copy of Superfrog for it.

Great pick-up. External floppy disk drive for Amiga CD32 is must buy.

Gagaman

Fuzz Rez said:
Great pick-up. External floppy disk drive for Amiga CD32 is must buy.
Yeah, I saw one of those floppy drives sell for pretty good money on Ebay.
Haha, one of these demo discs has that Trolls game on it I remember playing for hours upon hours as a kid. Still as easy to die in as I remember. That Oscar game appears to be the same game with different graphics/sound too. Good times!

Rolf NB

bcn-ron said:
vcrsdw.jpg

So awesome.

I got scalped on that drive. Payed 19€ plus shipping. I knew I should have picked one up when Amazon.de cleared them out for 10€ a piece, but at the time I didn't know just how screwed up that old MSI mobo of mine is. It can't reliably boot from internal optical drives because IDE DMA is broken and can't be turned off either. USB drives to the rescue.
21btzrk.jpg

Fear is such unfathomable trash. I can't believe the makers of my treasured NOLF and NOLF 2 have anything to do with this terrible, terrible software product.

Rolf NB

atomico said:
I read the PS3 port kinda sucks, but the game itself is pretty solid...
It does have technical issues, the framerate isn't solid (fluctuates between 30fps and 20fps quite wildly with occasional dips even below that), and it looks kind of blurry, might be upscaled from a sub-HD res. If the game were any good, the tech issues couldn't hurt it significantly, but it just isn't. The mandatory auto-aim is shit. The encounters are shit. The puzzles are shit (unless you think pressing the switch to rotate the rotatable bridge in such a way as to allow passage across a grain silo is an adequate puzzle to put into an fps). The weapons are shit. The entire interface to the game is shit. Let me elaborate.

So if I want to climb up a ladder, I have to actually catch a piece of its railing exactly in my crosshairs and press a "use" key. Oh really? And speaking of the use key, why the fuck does the game even display "Press square to pick up fps standard issue submachine gun" when I'm standing near? I have that weapon. If I'm close enough for you fuckers to display that prompt, you might have already automatically added it to my stock of ammunition.
Ditto for med-kits, armor and grenades. What purpose lies behind this "mechanic"? I'd say none.

The problem is that the game lacks any redeeming qualities. The environments are all the same harbor storage/office compound buildings, with precisely rectangular architectures made out of the fucking same white walls. Every three minutes you come across the exact same small office where a light combat vest and two (TWO) grenades lie on the exact same desk, and a med-kit is on the exact same shelf on the exact same back wall. The "scares" are completely dysfunctional because you know that you are 100% invincible to them. "Oh, there's Alma again" you say, and move on. "Oh, there's that guy turning into ash flakes again" you say, and gladly save your ammo.

The audio is a complete fuckup as well. The enemy radio chatter is the most ridiculous, embarassing shit to ever appear in an fps. But besides that, the real calamity is that every sound clip in the game is normalized to the same volume. I.e. no matter how you setup your mixer, which is recommended anyway with those super-messed up defaults, your footsteps, your constant companion on your travels through rectangular-white-wall-storage-land, are the same volume as your assault rifle. Makes sense? Didn't think so either.

So I've played four or five hours of the game, put it on hard too, because I know challenge is very important to having fun. All I'm seeing is repetition, repetition, repetition, of every aspect of the game, enviroments, scares, encounters, and everything that's there is C-rate junk.

What this game should have been, or rather its first two or three levels, is a tech demo to ensure funding for a fully developed, polished game. Because this shit just never got done.

Shiggie

Updates
Just arrived 5 minutes ago:D

photo33es1.jpg

:( iSight :(
EDIT:My first trip to Nintendo World Store even though I live in Brooklyn. I spontaneously picked up Arkanoid DS.
photo31qb1.jpg

AW: DoR Came from Amazon.
Edit: GBC from Ebay. I got Shiren off Amazon for cheap. Inspired to get it because of the Thread of love here.
photo32jd8.jpg

Okay. UPS came late with my order from Threadless.com
photo34ad0.jpg

photo37wx0.jpg

photo33gr2.jpg

photo38lq1.jpg

photo35oz7.jpg

photo36mr4.jpg

Fucking Awesome shirts!

Micro Arrived today! $50 ebay:D :D :D
photo42ug8.jpg

Crappy Pictures, I know
photo39oo4.jpg

Batman Gotham Knight 2 Disk S. edition.
Super Mario Land 2 6GC
Space Invaders Extreme
And Y: The last man Vol. 5-8

Updates

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Raife said:
What does one search under to find these on Ebay? "Metal Gear Statue" didn't return any results.

Search for metal gear solid, then click on action figures on the left.

Yes Boss!

Adding an old classic to my collection. Probably my second favorite GBA game (after Dotstream) and I was dying to play it on the Micro again!

twisted.jpg

Yes Boss! said:
Adding an old classic to my collection. Probably my second favorite GBA game (after Dotstream) and I was dying to play it on the Micro again!

twisted.jpg
Amazon said this was to be shipped to me by July 3rd...I think I outta email them and see what's up. :(

Yes Boss!

JPBrowncoat said:
Amazon said this was to be shipped to me by July 3rd...I think I outta email them and see what's up. :(

Yeah, email them. I believe it was your post about Target/Amazon that led me to order from them. Did so Friday and it arrived today (Monday). They never did issue a tracking number but did notify about a shipment.

Got some stuff over the weekend...

Ice Tube (needed it for carrying posters/prints around), Club Nintendo Mario DS Lite case (came with a bonus game carry case), and...a Game Boy color game:
IMG_1268.jpg

Close-up of the game:
IMG_1269.jpg

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Here's my purchases this month!

lo.jpg

Lost Odyssey, awesome game really, like 23h hours on the clock now!

stout.jpg

And a Dropkick Murphys t-shirt!

I'll edit in some other t-shirts once they arrive.

permutated said:
Picked these up:

Ratatat LP3 (Not as good as I had hoped)
ratatat-lp3-cover.jpg

Gridlock - Trace (Fucking incredible)
91dfddcd18e59add187aa27e7ef25d65_full.jpg

Schizoid XBLA (pretty good, really tough on Uberschizoid mode)
schizoid-20080118042241576_640w.jpg

Civilization Revolution (100% awesome)
sid_meiers_civilization_revolution-xbox_360.jpg

Warcraft III Battlechest (10^5 awesome, lol)
warcraft_iii_battle_chest1.jpg

Ninja Gaiden 2 (game is fucking incredible)
ninja-gaiden-2-boxart.jpg

A whole post of epic failure, congratulations.

Top Bottom