• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

I sure wished they would have given more options for the video output. I can't stand that line on the left of Super Mario Bros 3.

hqdefault.jpg

Weevilone

Nintendo have been doing this for three decades. It was absolutely intentional, and as long as people keep falling for it they will continue to do it. FOMO is a primary driver for Nintendo's actions as their product lineup is actually quite slim nowadays.

The fear in FOMO can be replaced by Frustration by now. These will someday be plentiful but it's a joke that they haven't been made more available for the holidays.

That's how it has always been.

I believe it was made that way to compensate for overscanning in CRTs, so I don't remember having that line when I played the game back in the day. I don't think the feature to move the screen a little to the left would have been too hard to implement.

Sanjuro

I love playing this thing. I just wish there was more sports options. One of the Bases Loaded games or Blades of Steel would have been perfect. Or Tecmo World Wrestling. That game was fantastic.

Yeah. I think they should have had more sports games for sure.

Yeah. I think they should have had more sports games for sure.

They should have had more games period.

GameStop opens in 30. Did they get a refresh today?

They did in my town. A friend that went there at 7:30 said there were 3 people lined up, and they only had 3 available. My guess is those people camped there from way earlier, and the other people that went just left after learning they wouldn't get one.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
The controller price is now matching the console original price -__-

Can you help me GAF? I want an orginal second classic controller or other good option. How is the lag in the Bluetooth one? Good brands?

Gregtis

I was able to get an order in on this, and sent a question in afterwards to try to confirm delivery date. What I got back:

"Hello, I hope you are enjoying your day, I will be more than happy to assist you with your request about this order, I completely understand this can be frustrating.

Unfortunately, according to the website, this item is out of stock right now, please be aware that you will receive the order as soon as we have the item available.

We appreciate your business and we hope to keep making them in the future. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email."

I'm afraid Gamestop may be putting one over on me here. Hopefully the agent is just confused.

maxcriden

My girlfriend managed to get one in this morning's Gamestop refreshment and therefore ruined her Christmas gift. Damnit. :(

I understand you're bummed, and I would be too, but on the bright side, I bet she'll think it's sweet. You guys can have a good laugh about it. It'll make for a fond memory. :)

Edit: and as a user said above, if you paid MSRP for it, you can do a really nice thing for someone by selling it to them at cost! (I guarantee if you sold it to someone in here you'd make someone's year.)

I believe it was made that way to compensate for overscanning in CRTs, so I don't remember having that line when I played the game back in the day. I don't think the feature to move the screen a little to the left would have been too hard to implement.

I agree. It was tough to get used to and at times made me want to play SMA4 instead. With that said, we still had a wonderful time playing through it.

JDdelphin

Edit: and as a user said above, if you paid MSRP for it, you can do a really nice thing for someone by selling it to them at cost! (I guarantee if you sold it to someone in here you'd make someone's year.)

*cough cough* all my 5y/o wants for christmas is the nes classic *cough cough* *hint hint*

;)

Fox Mulder

The fear in FOMO can be replaced by Frustration by now. These will someday be plentiful but it's a joke that they haven't been made more available for the holidays.

The shareholders crying about mobile games should be crying about this. They insanely undershipped this and missed the holiday boat. How much money did they leave on the table because they didn't even ship a million of these out in NA?

Finally opened it up today. So tiny! Absolutely love the CRT filter. They nailed that.

Such a great, nostalgic device. No way I'd pay over MRSP for it but at $60 it's such a great little toy. Brings back so many memories.

Makes me desperately want a SNES Classic.

shandy706

Bit disappointed in this thing. There's input lag on this first TV at our house (1080p). Even on game mode. I can still play, but it's definitely there.

Also..slowdown in quite a few games at times. Played a separate system today at my brothers and same thing...:-/

The emulation seems just OK at times. Maybe there was this much lag originally? LOL, might need to break out my OG NES.

I'll try on my higher end 4k TV in the bedroom tomorrow I guess.

Syril

Bit disappointed in this thing. There's input lag on this first TV at our house (1080p). Even on game mode. I can still play, but it's definitely there.

Also..slowdown in quite a few games at times. Played a separate system today at my brothers and same thing...:-/

The emulation seems just OK at times. Maybe there was this much lag originally? LOL, might need to break out my OG NES.

I'll try on my higher end 4k TV in the bedroom tomorrow I guess.
Which games had slowdown? Some of these games had slowdown originally.

ionitron

Somehow, somehow, unbelievably my boyfriend got me this for Christmas ;o; I opened it a couple of days ago but it's honestly one of the best gifts someone has gone out of their way to get me, he really out did himself. I've had a lot of fun replaying Megaman 2 and trying to do my best in Donkey Kong.

I hope everyone who got this for Christmas enjoys it and that everyone else who wants one can get one soon enough.

shandy706

Which games had slowdown? Some of these games had slowdown originally.

Noticed bad input lag and slowdown on the first level of SMB3. On two SNES Classics.

Input lag on nearly every game, but not slowdown. Maybe 5 or 6 out of the 30 randomly.

I love all these games. That input delay drives me nuts though. Like I said, I'll try on a different TV tomorrow to see how it goes. (Input wise)

Edit* Just tried SMB3 again. No slowdown in same spot...but input lag is just awful.

Tried during ad, watching football..lol

Syril

Somehow, somehow, unbelievably my boyfriend got me this for Christmas ;o; I opened it a couple of days ago but it's honestly one of the best gifts someone has gone out of their way to get me, he really out did himself. I've had a lot of fun replaying Megaman 2 and trying to do my best in Donkey Kong.

I hope everyone who got this for Christmas enjoys it and that everyone else who wants one can get one soon enough.
Yeah, hopefully when the next restocks come people will be able to get them in a reasonable fashion, now that there's no more Xmas frenzy.

Noticed bad input lag and slowdown on the first level of SMB3. On two SNES Classics.

Input lag on nearly every game, but not slowdown. Maybe 5 or 6 out of the 30 randomly.

I love all these games. That input delay drives me nuts though. Like I said, I'll try on a different TV tomorrow to see how it goes. (Input wise)

Edit* Just tried SMB3 again. No slowdown in same spot...but input lag is just awful.

Tried during ad, watching football..lol

I just tried the one I got for my brother and no noticeable input lag compared to anything else I have and definitely no slowdown. Flew through the first world of super Mario world without issue.

That said NES games were designed around lag free displays, so even if your tv only has 50-100 ms of lag it might be enough to throw you off, and some awful tvs can be even higher than that.

jrcbandit

I'll definitely be looking for one now, the only one I got I gave as a gift. I expect the craigslist prices to drop like a rock and hopefully availability in stores.

FinKL

Got one for my birthday but didn't open it up until this morning...here's my 3-year-old son playing Super Mario Bros...

Nmsm56q.jpg
Haha I got one for my 7month old but he likes to just chew on the controller. He'll get there one day. First thing I noticed was input lag, man LCD processing really screws that up. Need precise timing in a lot of games. Randomly started Super Tropic and I kind of like it, pseudo Zelda like dungeon puzzles.

Like everyone else said, controller length is a joke and even the bundled hdmi is too short

Fox Mulder

Yeah, hopefully when the next restocks come people will be able to get them in a reasonable fashion, now that there's no more Xmas frenzy.

Yeah right. Scalpers will remain as long as stock is shit. Amiibos only got easy to get when Nintendo flooded them.

Alcibiades

Yeah right. Scalpers will remain as long as stock is shit. Amiibos only got easy to get when Nintendo flooded them.

Yup wouldn't be surprised to see $100+ Ebay prices going until at least March. Now that Christmas is over Nintendo must be worried that flooding the market could result in lots of unsold product.

I really think their mistake was waiting until late November to launch this. A September launch would have made more sense. Close enough to the holiday season to be considered a trendy gift while having enough time to see whether they should increase demand for December.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Got one for Xmas (thanks to my wife) and today I brought a second controller, is it my imagination or are the inputs a bit laggy?

PAC man was difficult to control.

Either way multiplayer retro action 😀😀

Top Bottom