• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

gappvembe

I would assume it's the same as the NES Classic.

And that is:

The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is powered by a USB cable (Type A to Type micro B) and a USB AC adapter (Output: 5V/1A/5W)

I'm sure I have one laying around.... or if I ever get the actual NES Classic

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
And that is:

The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is powered by a USB cable (Type A to Type micro B) and a USB AC adapter (Output: 5V/1A/5W)

I'm sure I have one laying around.... or if I ever get the actual NES Classic

Most phone chargers are one. My outlet extension had has a USB in it as well.

DarkWish

My local GameStop is apparently getting 3 on Friday. There's no point in even attempting to go there for that. I'm in no rush to get it, but even still it's frustrating.

Targets in Buffalo got about 80 today. My closest store showed 5 so I zipped over and snagged one of 2 left when I got there. They're being shipped directly from FedEx to the stores rather than coming on trucks from the distribution center.

I've played many games in the Legend of Zelda series, but I've never really played the first one until I got the NES Classic (my first experience with the series was Zelda II followed by Link's Awakening).

After spending some time with it, I have it as no less than the second-best* of the Zelda games straight up, IMO, at least until Breath of the Wild comes out and fixes all of the problems that the original LoZ has simply by being thirty years younger (less obtuse hints as to where to go, better items system, etc.).

I don't like Zelda II's combat (it's more fluid and intuitive in 3D to me, which is why I enjoy Dark Souls but not Zelda II), and really, Zelda II is all about the combat.

I enjoy modern (i.e. OoT - SS) 3D Zelda well enough, but I think the stuff outside of the dungeons very often is flat-out boring. Majora's Mask is an exception - that game is excellent because the stuff you're doing outside of the dungeons as you try to make sure everything goes right on your next run through is compelling. Every other game in this grouping, though, I personally think have huge dead spots where playing the game is like pulling teeth.

Weirdly, I should like LttP, but that never clicked with me on multiple plays. I ground through it once, but for whatever reason that I can't put my finger on, it doesn't grab me.

*I like Link's Awakening about as much as LoZ and for a lot of the same reasons, but LA's narrative conceit of Link being trapped in a dream world is one that I'm a sucker for, so it's probably still my favorite game in the series.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
You should really check out Link Between Worlds. It's pretty breezy, not too challenging, and it has the best music in the series (debatable).

It's my favorite 2D Zelda, a series that i don't really care for overall. It's a real good game and I enjoyed it.

You should really check out Link Between Worlds. It's pretty breezy, not too challenging, and it has the best music in the series (debatable).

It's my favorite 2D Zelda, a series that i don't really care for overall. It's a real good game and I enjoyed it.

I still don't have a 3DS, sadly. I am hoping they re-release it for Switch or that I can snag a $119-or-less n3DS at some point soon so I can catch up on a few games that I want to play for it.

ALBW has really mixed reception, though, at least based on what I read and listen to. What did you like about it specifically?

Kinsei

Banned
My local EB games got a shipment in today and they'll be selling them tomorrow. Hopefully I can manage to get one if I show up when they open in the morning.

This shit needs to be available handily in January

Mid-January, perhaps. Since a lot of holiday return policies end on January 15th, I expect some scalpers will be returning their unsold stock if they have any. Since these will likely be unopened\like-new, they'll probably go right back on the shelf.

Boke1879

Mid-January, perhaps. Since a lot of holiday return policies end on January 15th, I expect some scalpers will be returning their unsold stock if they have any. Since these will likely be unopened\like-new, they'll probably go right back on the shelf.

My Birthday is on January 14th. I hope I can get one by then.

maxcriden

I still don't have a 3DS, sadly. I am hoping they re-release it for Switch or that I can snag a $119-or-less n3DS at some point soon so I can catch up on a few games that I want to play for it.

ALBW has really mixed reception, though, at least based on what I read and listen to. What did you like about it specifically?

Hey Voysa, just as side convo, I'm curious where it got a mixed reception, what sorts of places? If you look at the metacritic for example it got higher praise than most Nintendo games of the past several years, so I was surprised to read that.

Sanjuro

I've driven around all day today. Cold, tired, hungry, still in my car. This is like a less fun version of the Sinbad classic Jungle all the Way.

Sanjuro

24 at the Target I was about to camp out for.

Just went on Craiglist and got one. Wasn't about that sitting outside for 12 hour life!

Hey Voysa, just as side convo, I'm curious where it got a mixed reception, what sorts of places? If you look at the metacritic for example it got higher praise than most Nintendo games of the past several years, so I was surprised to read that.

I don't want to misrepresent what any one individual said, but I recall that the folks on the Giant Bombcast and NWR were critical (though ultimately positive, I think) about ALBW. Using the phrase "mixed reception" is probably not the best way to represent it.

Bog

Junior Ace
Mid-January, perhaps. Since a lot of holiday return policies end on January 15th, I expect some scalpers will be returning their unsold stock if they have any. Since these will likely be unopenedlike-new, they'll probably go right back on the shelf.

Unsold? It's nearly $150 profit for them right now and the demand is there.

AGITΩ

Camped outside my best buy again. Most stores got another shipment today so another ticketted event in the morning. Super salty i was outside at 4am tuesday and because of folks leaving chairs to "claim their spot" i ended up being 37th out of 36 units.

AGITΩ;227010397 said:
Camped outside my best buy again. Most stores got another shipment today so another ticketted event in the morning. Super salty i was outside at 4am tuesday and because of folks leaving chairs to "claim their spot" i ended up being 37th out of 36 units.

What was stopping you from just ignoring those chairs? I certainly would have.

AGITΩ;227010397 said:

What was stopping you from just ignoring those chairs? I certainly would have.

Yeah man if chairs are there but no people. Ignore that noise.

Bog

Junior Ace
AGITΩ;227010397 said:

You need to start following a certain twitter account ending in 64. You could've had about a dozen by now from your couch.

ATF487

Tried to find one of these today when I saw there were 10 at my local Target, but they aren't selling them until the morning. Debating stumbling out of my apartment tomorrow morning to catch a bus there, it's only two miles away, but 10 units isn't a lot considering it's one of the few Targets around the Boston area.

Damn, why can't this be on Friday instead when I get paid? Getting paid bi weekly really sucks when you've recently had to pay 3 months worth of rent.

Maengun1

If I could've just walked into a store that had these in stock, I would have one for myself and at least two or three as Christmas gifts for others. As is, I might not even pick up one for myself when (if) I ever see one. I have most of these games already on one platform or another. I really hate these holiday season "everybody go nuts for the 1 in each location" crazes, and Nintendo is especially lousy about it

Sanjuro

Have a Target which is about ten minutes down my road. Made an executive decision and got there around thirty minutes prior to them opening at 7am today. Ended up snagging a second one.

Really depends on the store volume. Noticed a few more on Brickseek didn't deplete immediately. The store that had 24 were gone pretty much instantly.

Keep holding out hope for one. This would go over SO WELL at my girlfriends family's xmas and my brothers. I have 4 friends looking, but Cincinnati is just been barren on this. Ive missed out every time Amazon Prime Now has had them. :(

Keep holding out hope for one. This would go over SO WELL at my girlfriends family's xmas and my brothers. I have 4 friends looking, but Cincinnati is just been barren on this. Ive missed out every time Amazon Prime Now has had them. :(

If missing out online really need to actually set up a Twitter account. Most prime now orders have gone over 15 minutes before selling out.

Sanjuro

A second one? Posting about scalping while people here are desperate to find one themselves?

qk3QlG3.gif

I have no clue what you're on about.

What Nintendo strategy are you referring to? The "we don't want your money" strategy?

Probably sooner I can not see them not releasing during holidays. Unless they skip next year to put all focus on switch.

Reggie even talked about the NES Classic and Super Mario Run in ways that makes this seem more like a marketing strategy to remind people of their memories with Nintendo to prime the market for the Switch. That's the stragegy I mean. One that is more from a marketing prospect. In that sense, a SNES Classic next year or the year after doesn't make sense with the Switch on the market. I hope I'm wrong, though. I'd absolutely LOVE a SNES Classic. But I'm pretty sure they'll promote whatever SNES VC options on the Switch rather than a stand alone console.

A second one? Posting about scalping while people here are desperate to find one themselves?

I've bought three. You gonna get all up in my shit too?

Two of them were Christmas gifts. One was for me. This guy didn't say he was reselling it.

EDIT: I'm not done hunting either. I wanted six of them total, five for gifts. Don't be mad at other people for buying extras when you haven't gotten one yet, be mad at Nintendo for intentionally stifling supply to create demand and mindshare. Nintendo fucked empty handed fans over, nobody else.

Top Bottom