• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Rebirth Screens

Trevelyon

big_p_world_01.jpg

big_p_world_03.jpg

big_p_world_05.jpg

pic_06b.jpg

pic_05b.jpg

pic_08b.jpg

pic_09b.jpg

pic_06b.jpg

pic_04b.jpg

Stunning O.O

Eric-GCA

Banned
Are those Kosuke Fujishima's character art? They don't look like his style, or at least, they don't look like the Phantasia/Symphonia styles I know.

belgurdo

Banned
Eric-GCA said:
Are those Kosuke Fujishima's character art? They don't look like his style, or at least, they don't look like the Phantasia/Symphonia styles I know.

Mutusmi Inomata. Fujishima only did designs for Phantasia and Symphonia

Too bad he couldn't do designs for all the games, since Inomata's style gets lamer/fruitier with every sequel

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
After Symphonia I will buy any game that comes out in this franchise. :O

Overall the characters look alright to me. The female character are kind of boring design-wise compared to the males, though.

B'z-chan

Banned
Man why are they even putting this on PS2 damnit. I want it on GC TOS is freaking awsome. Either way i'll probably buy it.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
ToS was much better art-wise, but this doesn't look that bad. Definitely looks like it will still be enjoyable.

ferricide

B'z-chan said:
Man why are they even putting this on PS2 damnit. I want it on GC TOS is freaking awsome. Either way i'll probably buy it.
um, because they want to make money?

TOD2 sold like 800k in japan. TOS sold like 300k in japan. hence, PS2.

don't worry, rumors point toward a new tales game for teh cube as well. and hopefully it'll be a bit spiffier.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
ferricide said:
um, because they want to make money?

TOD2 sold like 800k in japan. TOS sold like 300k in japan. hence, PS2.

don't worry, rumors point toward a new tales game for teh cube as well. and hopefully it'll be a bit spiffier.
It seems like TOS's sales numbr get lower every time they're posted.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
God is it a requirement for this series to have an incredibly shitty overworld graphics engine?

After ToS I'm instantly interested in any title in the franchise. I'm really let down by the use of sprites but maybe it looks impeccable in motion.

You see that?
big_p_chara_05.jpg

I HATE THAT

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Looks incrdible. Release date for the US?

ferricide

johnjohnson said:
It's a 100% buy for me. Is there already a US release date?
i'm sure namco USA is too busy thinking about its holiday releases to ponder a game that's not even out in japan yet. they won't get to this one until early next year when their plate's clean, i imagine. they have to get done releasing baten kaitos, ace combat 5, death by degrees, taiko drum master, katamari damacy, and dead to rights II first. am i missing anything? anyway, i expect them to give this a good long look when they get their breath back.

note: nobody's told me anything positive or negative, so don't try and read between the lines. there is nothing there. =P

jiggle

ferricide said:
they have to get done releasing baten kaitos, ace combat 5, death by degrees, taiko drum master, katamari damacy, and dead to rights II first. am i missing anything?

Xenosaga II=p

ferricide

jiggle said:
Xenosaga II=p
that's far enough into next year that i left it out. though according to EB, DTR2 is february as well. i've not been paying attention to that one. for obvious reasons.

anyway, give them some time to figure it out. namco USA may not even have playtested TOR yet, given that they were doubtlessly waiting to see how TOS did before bothering to look into TOR.

SolidSnakex said:
Street Racing Syndicate also. :p They have a packed lineup, and I doubt ToR will fit into that anywhere if ToD2 was anything to go by.
well, one reason TOD2 was skipped over cos of the non-success of TOD and TOE in the US. with TOS a success, this negates that to some extent. TOD2 was also really mediocre. and looks like a PS1 game that's been semi-but-not-entirely bumped up to high res. there are a lot of reasons to skip TOD2, but fewer to skip TOR.

it's not like their sechedule is "packed" after, say, february next year.

Shouta

Tales of Destiny STILL has the best character design and art. Screw Fujishima.

big_p_chara_01.jpg

This isn't bad character design though.

ferricide

captainflimflam said:
This game look interesting. How do the battle mechcanic work? does it play like a FF game?
read some of the tales of symphonia threads (or reviews) to get an idea. the quick answer: no, not remotely. it's all real-time.

hirokazu said:
not that it matters, what's the chances of this making it out in the US...

read the bloody thread. =)

my guess is: fair. but i'm just going on gut, here.

lordmrw

The character designs don't really bother me so much, its the color choices that really make this look really fruity. That I can't get over.

And by the way, has anybody seen or played Plague of Darkness? I haven't seen anything on it since the beginning of this year.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They have a packed lineup, and I doubt ToR will fit into that anywhere if ToD2 was anything to go by.
I doubt it ever will.... more likely we'll just get Symphonia on PS2 next spring along with Eternia on PSP. Namco Hometek might be warming to 'niche' stuff, but I think a 2D console Tales game is still a bit of a stretch.

Senretsu

Nice, ToS was my first Tales game, I'm hooked on the battle system, best I've played in a long time, I am looking forward to this one. Hope it comes here!

Graphics aren't too bad at this point, i'm interested in seeing how it looks in motion.

Ranger X

The overworld looks like my dog's ass but the rest look really good. I must be an alien or something but i feel it will look better than Symphonia.

Am i going to fucking control all my characters in the battles this time? (i feel desperate, i'm asking myself this at each Tales...)

Soul4ger

Christian, Tekken 5 is coming early next year. Doesn't count for this holiday, but it's still something they'll have to do...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, graphically I prefer this to TOS, TOS suffered from some rather blurry graphics in some parts... and the world map in this game looks better and more spacious, IMO... The character design is weak, especially the girl with the green hair and green outfits, she's just plain ugly. But the previous Tales games have had some nice artwork. I'm definitely gonna pick this up on US release, I've been a Tales fanboy since day 1.

kiryogi

Banned
djtiesto said:
Hmm, graphically I prefer this to TOS, TOS suffered from some rather blurry graphics in some parts... and the world map in this game looks better and more spacious, IMO... The character design is weak, especially the girl with the green hair and green outfits, she's just plain ugly. But the previous Tales games have had some nice artwork. I'm definitely gonna pick this up on US release, I've been a Tales fanboy since day 1.

Psssssssst, the girl in green hair is a guy, and where were you surprised folks when me/someone else posted/scans pics. OLD i tell ya!! :D

Ranger X

I didn't really cared about the last Tales installments until i saw those screens at the beginning of the thread. Are both Symphonia and Rebirth coming here??
It's so nice to see sprites and beautifull handdraw stuff!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wyzdom said:
I didn't really cared about the last Tales installments until i saw those screens at the beginning of the thread. Are both Symphonia and Rebirth coming here??
It's so nice to see sprites and beautifull handdraw stuff!!

Errr. You mean the PS2 version? Cuz ToS on the Cube is already out here. If by here you mean America, of course.

Top Bottom