• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
CXN8ERy.png
Should've been Broadband SSD. Meh

psorcerer

Banned
SSD latencies are measured in microseconds. The fastest SSDs are in the region of 25μs

I don't understand why people call it "SSD".
It's clearly not.
It will probably have k/v api. No block storage there.
You should think of it as an extension to RAM.
Flash chips can have a pretty comparable latency to a high throughput DDR.
If I would be Cerny, I would have used flash chips as a persistent RAM. With DRAM acting as a write-back cache.
Imagine all your games always paused in RAM. No loading times. Essentially you have a 1TB of RAM. You can play any of them at any time.
But I suppose AMD has not enough experience in flash controllers to pull it off.

Evilms

Banned
What would please you?

If you’re expecting twice the performance for half the cost you’ll be disappointed.
I mean that for once I expect navi to be equal to RTX cards in performance and consumption for a more reasonable price, a bit like ryzen against intel's core i.

bitbydeath

New CoD Trailer is May 30.

That matches with early June Sony Event like previous rumors where the new CoD will be playable.

Hmmmm.

Just adding this here though in no way do I believe it.

PS5 over 12tf
Xbox premium over 11tf

PS5 blowing us away. Seems way more advanced than Xbox even the upper end model. Reveal June 3 for PS5.

SonGoku

So for TF - there should be the full 64 compute units - at around 1.25GHz this is ~10TF .. scale this to 1.6GHz and you get the magic 12.8TF figure (clock scaling from 14 to 7nm at under 1.3x seems reasonable)
Theres no way they use a fully enabled chip.
Unless that with the change from 4xSIMD-16 to 2xSIMD-32 a 9CU per SE config is viable... that way if 8CUs are disabled we are left with 64CUs

Last edited:

Ovech-King

If anything, Sony should reveal at any dates after Microsoft spill the beans on their own machines at E3. That way , they can see how well their specs measures against them and adjust if necessary, ending up with the upper hand on release. I hope they do that, that would be smart as f*ck since they already pulled from the show

JLMC469

Banned
If anything, Sony should reveal at any dates after Microsoft spill the beans on their own machines at E3. That way , they can see how well their specs measures against them and adjust if necessary, ending up with the upper hand on release.

It isn’t that easy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ethomaz

Banned
ethomaz ethomaz
With the rumored Navi config is it possible to make a 72CU chip (9CUs per SE) and disable 8CUs to get 64CUs (8CUs per SE)
I have no ideia.

But it is possible that you go up to 64 (8x8) only.

That is the issue with rumors there is no documentation to look for... we need AMD to release the Arch changes to devs... there is a doc called ISA for each GCN version... let’s hope they release the Navi version soon.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

If that is really true then PS5 will have a IO solution that even high-end PC doesn’t have.

Trully a game changer.

Says that's more than just moving to PCI-E 4.0 speeds uncapping things from current SSDs, but their baseline is the PM1725a, which is PCI-E 3.0?

If any of these leakers answer this puzzle, I'm here for it ;)

LordOfChaos

Replayed witcher3 last week and the load times made me kinda hate the game, well that and all the goddam running around.

It's honestly a huge inertia that stops me from playing games as much, if I just want to play for a quick few minutes I don't want to get through minutes of load times for it. The Witcher 3 was one of the worst for it, but in fairness the world is also one of the most massive (what was annoying though was if you died it took ages to reload you exactly where you already were for some reason)

But nearly zero load times? That could get a lot of adults who fell out of gaming into it again if the friction is removed.

stetiger

Those ssd talks have me excited. I can't count the number of games I thought were great except for the load time. Bloodborne, the witcher 3, RDR2, AC Odyssey, God Of War (weird bifrost loading time), effectively all open world games this gen

EDIT: Imagine playing bloodborne without loading screen. Picking back up where you died right after you died, so sweet

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Those ssd talks have me excited. I can't count the number of games I thought were great except for the load time. Bloodborne, the witcher 3, RDR2, AC Odyssey, God Of War (weird bifrost loading time), effectively all open world games this gen

EDIT: Imagine playing bloodborne without loading screen. Picking back up where you died right after you died, so sweet
I'll kinda miss the item descriptions on the loading screens of Bloodborne. :messenger_crying:

FranXico

If that is really true then PS5 will have a IO solution that even high-end PC doesn’t have.

Trully a game changer.

That last bit, that for optimal IO you do need to use a newer SDK and thus, patch the game for PS5 (which makes sense), is worrying me because certain publishers are bound to exploit the situation to charge for patches.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Trully a game changer.

As SonGoku SonGoku and F Fafalada highlighted, Sony patents filings (in addition to juicy recent stuff about backwards compatibility for later posts) seem to corroborate this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2017/0097897.html

[...]

Thus, although the transfer rate of NAND flash devices alone improves dramatically, incorporation of the devices into a system designed for an HDD leads to a variety of bottlenecks. As a result, such improvement in transfer rate is frequently not fully taken advantage of. To alleviate these various bottlenecks, a high-speed access software stack is available in the present embodiment in addition to a related art file system. The related art file system is accessed via a virtual file system to adapt to various storage devices and network file systems.

[...]

Uh... secondary CPU dedicated to I/O detected:
In the present embodiment, metadata is simplified by providing a high-speed access software stack specially designed for flash memories. Further, in the present embodiment, an auxiliary processor is provided in addition to a related art CPU to mainly execute and control the software stack in question so that the auxiliary processor takes charge of controlling a hardware accelerator for encryption and decryption, tampering check, and data decompression

Stop the presses... enters the file archive and related API’s for games to use:
The virtual file system 48 manages directory entry information that makes up metadata and interprets file names and paths, thus calculating where in each device data is located. At this time, complicated processing such as directory tree search, exclusive control, and cache management, is involved. Therefore, processing is particularly likely to be disrupted when a large number of small files are opened. For this reason, a layer called a file archive 52 is defined separately from the virtual file system 48 in the present embodiment. The application 50 accesses a file via an API (Application Programming Interface) specific to the file archive.

The file archive 52 is an interface between a NAND flash driver that runs the flash memory 20 and an accelerator driver that runs the accelerator 42 and the application 50, notifying an access request from the application 50 directly to the drivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom