• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't understand why people call it "SSD".
It's clearly not.
It will probably have k/v api. No block storage there.
You should think of it as an extension to RAM.
Flash chips can have a pretty comparable latency to a high throughput DDR.
If I would be Cerny, I would have used flash chips as a persistent RAM. With DRAM acting as a write-back cache.
Imagine all your games always paused in RAM. No loading times. Essentially you have a 1TB of RAM. You can play any of them at any time.
But I suppose AMD has not enough experience in flash controllers to pull it off.

Looking at Sony’s recent SSD patents such as the SonGoku SonGoku one and my post with the excerpts from the patent you may be into something ;).

Ar¢tos

The issue now is if the hdd speed limitations of PC (since there is no mandatory m.2 ssd there) will hamper console games. You can't design a game world based on 3GB/s asset streaming if that game world needs to run on 50MB/s pc hdds.

Amey

If that is really true then PS5 will have a IO solution that even high-end PC doesn’t have.

Trully a game changer.

16GB vRAM and 2TB Solid State Graphics Memory onboard
radeonprossg001.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The issue now is if the hdd speed limitations of PC (since there is no mandatory m.2 ssd there) will hamper console games. You can't design a game world based on 3GB/s asset streaming if that game world needs to run on 50MB/s pc hdds.

Thanks exclusive or console led games... in that case some PC setups may have to jump forward.

psorcerer

Banned
Uh... secondary CPU dedicated to I/O detected

All SSD controllers have "secondary CPU", the logic of storing blocks of data on flash is pretty complex.
Modern flash controllers for SSDs have multicore ARM CPUs and gigs of RAM onboard.

Stop the presses... enters the file archive and related API’s for games to use:

It's not that impressive.
As I've said in different forum: Cerny is too kind to PC developers, exactly as he was in PS4 era, where they made a DX9/10 compatibility layer which all the early PS4 multiplatform games used, although it massively hindered the achievable performance.
So here we have and object store API, and a promise that some type of block storage interface will be present.
As usual (contrary to what crazy people who know shit about hardware and interfaces think) PC gaming and catering to multiplatform devs drags the console power down.

Aceofspades

Banned

If that is really true then PS5 will have a IO solution that even high-end PC doesn’t have.

Trully a game changer.

Open world games will benefit greatly from this. I like how Sony thinks ahead when designing their consoles while MS double down on current technologies and Nintendo....well... Take technologies from a decade ago 🤣

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All SSD controllers have "secondary CPU", the logic of storing blocks of data on flash is pretty complex.
Modern flash controllers for SSDs have multicore ARM CPUs and gigs of RAM onboard.

Hehe, it was a bit in jest indeed, but I felt it talked more about expanding the role of the current secondary ARM CPU in PS4 handling I/O, video encoding/decoding, encryption, and background operations.

Similar to the way the T2 chip operates in modern Mac machines, a layer/accelerator on top of the SSD controller

It's not that impressive.
As I've said in different forum: Cerny is too kind to PC developers, exactly as he was in PS4 era, where they made a DX9/10 compatibility layer which all the early PS4 multiplatform games used, although it massively hindered the achievable performance.
So here we have and object store API, and a promise that some type of block storage interface will be present.
As usual (contrary to what crazy people who know shit about hardware and interfaces think) PC gaming and catering to multiplatform devs drags the console power down.

It is impressive compared to the PC like trajectory consoles have been taking and to be fair about even how conservative other full stack vendors are evolving their platforms (cough... Apple... cough...). We will see if they will evolve this to a model more similar to what you were presenting (main RAM as cache for a super large virtual memory layer), but I think you are underselling the change of gears potentially happening here. The direction is good and promising IMHO.

You do have to pragmatically admit though that a strong part of setting up PS4’s strategy was reducing the time to market and developer costs in general and that did pay off in spades for them.... first parties were able to sail past that issue and some third parties started to progressively catchup. Time to polygon was a simple way to explain that, but effective... and the system did have more for developers who, over time, wanted to explore unique device features.

Last edited:

lynux3

I still believe that full PlayStation eco system BC will be one of the unannounced surprises when they will do a full PS5 reveal.
That would be absolutely amazing, but I got to keep my expectations low on that actually happening. I would love nothing more than to be able to play my entire library on a single device.

TeamGhobad

Banned
LOD pop-in has definitely been a "feature" of this generation - if we can get rid of it, I'm all for it.

i havent noticed any popin this gen. huge problem with the xbox360, especially the last scene in mass effect that ending montage was all popins.

farmerboy

So what are the odds MS has the "same" ssd setup?

Or, if you prefer, do you all think PS's ssd configuration will be unique to them?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Those games will just take longer to load on the PCs without the tech.

nowhat

The lack of bc was one of the main things that made me not bother with the ps4 and just build a pc. If the ps5 has bc for ps1-4 discs and digital from ps3-4 i would certainly buy one.
Honestly, how big of a deal would PS1/2 support be? Especially since you have a PC, there are plenty of emulators to choose from.

Ellery

Honestly, how big of a deal would PS1/2 support be? Especially since you have a PC, there are plenty of emulators to choose from.

For me it would be a huge deal. I would gladly pay extra for that.
I mean I can live without it and I would almost certainly play more PS4 and PS5 games than PS1 and 2 games, but it would still be extremely nice to have especially for "comfort" so I can kind can connect 1 box to my TV to have it all and I have one wiredless controller instead of connecting 4 consoles to my TV where 2 of them need wired controllers (or I buy extra stuff but no thanks).

If I could pick between a 12TF PS5 no BC at all and a 9TF PS5 with p1,2,3,4 BC I'd pick the 9TF PS5 10 out of 10 times.

LordOfChaos

AFAIK all GNM stuff is under NDA. I.e. imminent lawsuit afterwards.

It's on a throwaway with no identifiable information, and the leak itself would be enough anyways. But I'll take that as fair, which leaker has produced any evidence that they are who they say they are, and said something anyone into hardware couldn't have made sound plausible?

The SSD stuff sounds cool, but any of us reading the last few pages here could have wrote a post that sounded as plausible as that. I'm not saying if it's true or not, I'm just looking for a higher standard of confirmation somehow.

Playing along though: The HBCC name drop is curious.
In a nutshell, HBCC is, as its “high-bandwidth cache controller” name gives away, a complement to the framebuffer (or “high-bandwidth cache” as AMD now calls it) that will treat the VRAM as a last-level cache, and some system memory as VRAM. If a resource is requested by the GPU, but it’s not currently in video memory, the memory pages relating to the data will be pulled in to Vega’s HBC (framebuffer) for quicker access, while unused pages will be flushed out.
HBCC 1) Treats VRAM as a last level cache

2) Dips into system RAM as VRAM

What this has to do with the custom SSD is curious. I could imagine something like SSG, a large solid state drive directly on the GPU/APU, but this is an additional technology than HBCC, though enabled by it.

If we get SSG in a console...I even more wish for Other OS support again lol, getting that in a consumer friendly cost would be kind of crazy compared to what SSGs go for (just $6,999 or so)

AMD says the SSG portion of the card can read data at up to 8GB/s and write data at up to 6GB/s off the NAND, already in excess of both PCI-E 3 and 4 limits

Last edited:

SonGoku

Not necessarily, PCs have access to huge pools of ram in addition to VRAM, that should be enough to get the same performance benefits (speculative preloading) the only downside will be longer initial load times. By the time consoles launch 16GB and 32GB of DDR4 should be common place in gaming PCs and GPUs will come with minimum 8GB VRAM, coupled with a cheap SATA3 SSD (500MB/s) should be enough to get potentially better streaming performance.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

For me it would be a huge deal. I would gladly pay extra for that.
I mean I can live without it and I would almost certainly play more PS4 and PS5 games than PS1 and 2 games, but it would still be extremely nice to have especially for "comfort" so I can kind can connect 1 box to my TV to have it all and I have one wiredless controller instead of connecting 4 consoles to my TV where 2 of them need wired controllers (or I buy extra stuff but no thanks).

If I could pick between a 12TF PS5 no BC at all and a 9TF PS5 with p1,2,3,4 BC I'd pick the 9TF PS5 10 out of 10 times.

I wouldn't want dirty ps1 games to contaminate my brand new ps5 bluray optics.

PS4 BC on the PS5 is what is making me lean towards a day 1 purchase. Price and launch titles will come into effect, too.

If it turns out that The Last of Us, Part 2 is a cross gen game available from day 1 on the PS5, it's an immediate buy for me (I'd skip the PS4 version).

ethomaz

Banned
Interesting finding...

Basically the full specs... pretty clever leak from the guy if true... 18GB HBM2 too.

PS. I’m on phone so it is hard to copy the images to post here.

Last edited:

Ellery

Stay with Xbox please.

I just want the best experience for next-gen games.

holy ... maybe go easy on the toxicity.
This is just what I would rather do.

(Edit : I actually never owned an Xbox console in my life)

Yeah no thanks, i rather not sacrifice performance for BC I'd barely use, if you want to play PS3 games get a PS3, thats the mistake WiiU made. You can get way better PS1/PS2 emulation on PC and keep your PS3

That is okay and understandable.
I mean I was talking about a highly hypothetical scenario which won't happen.
The PS5 will only have PS4 BC and as much performance as Sony thinks it is right.

I am a bit shocked that people reacted the way they did to that to a highly hypothetical opinion that has no base in reality and won't happen

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I was kinda joking on my post... well half because I trully prefer a better machine for next-gen games over BC.

The main focus of a new console should never be old stuffs.

BC is a nice feature to have but the focus should be next-gen games first.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Interesting finding...

Basically the full specs... pretty clever leak from the guy if true... 18GB HBM2 too.

11.38 tflops. Is that a dev kit I presume?

Imtjnotu

Interesting finding...

11TF
18 gigs of Vram
HBM2-3 at 700+gbps

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Actually this comments made no sense... the app he used shows like that and the data are accurate to the specs.

I can’t even understand what this Colbert is talking.
More users after his post even stated it’s fake af. And the leak implies there’s a 4 stack HBM2! Yea, not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom