• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

There will be some more surprises according to John, but look at how the BC video begins.
They quote the "people will be surprised" part of the previous video, and then Richard says "we promised you that there will be surprises...well here they are!"
So it was all about how excited they were since the console's BC was working in such a great way, 60 fps with no frame drops at all.

I was only surprised that DF were surprised. The BC situation was pretty clear to me from what Mark Cerny explained in Road to PS5 8 months ago. I would hope there was more to the surprises than software/BC/UI features! Then again I'm more often than not disappointed with others definition of "surprises"....

Andodalf

Banned
I was only surprised that DF were surprised. The BC situation was pretty clear to me from what Mark Cerny explained in Road to PS5 8 months ago. I would hope there was more to the surprises than software/BC/UI features! Then again I'm more often than not disappointed with others definition of "surprises"....

Sony made it sound like 99% of games would be compatible, but only the top games would be run with full clocks. Instead it’s like 99.99% of games work and 99.9% have full clocks. They were very cautious and it makes there results a pleasant surprise.

THE:MILKMAN

Sony made it sound like 99% of games would be compatible, but only the top games would be run with full clocks. Instead it’s like 99.99% of games work and 99.9% have full clocks. They were very cautious and it makes there results a pleasant surprise.

I agree Sony ramped up their caution about how BC worked to 11 for some reason and their blog posts after Road to PS5 just created FUD for themselves, but I still reverted back to the clear explanation that Mark Cerny gave and it proved pretty accurate.

mejin

Lots of lies and misinformation are coming out due in part to people who are analyzing the console with "incomplete" firmwares that will be updated on the day of release. Until the consoles are updated on 12-19, it would be more prudent not to enter into absurd wars that in a few weeks can cause you shame.

let the kids have fun, console wars is serious business for them. Even more when they are fighting a lost battle.

As if maybe, narrative that he is some simp for MS, is a wrong narrative.

that's true, but you can't deny you'll have a hard time finding a tweet like this coming from him

maybe that's the surprise John is talking about LMAO

assurdum

Banned
I doubt John’s idea of a big surprise is necessarily the same as what some of us would like. He’s probably talking about load times of existing next gen games. We think he’s about to announce Bloodborne 2 😂
Wasn't expectable by the most? (not by me and I don't think it's really important in the end if ps5 ended to be relatively slower)

Last edited:

Loxus

About those loading times.
This video is just clickbait.
Disclaimer:
-Maybe a small margin of error trying to load into a save.
-Destiny 2 & Monster Hunter World are somewhat dependent on their respective servers, and results may vary.
-Games with optimizations, we set them to prioritize frame rate for this test.
-Keep in mind these games have not received next gen updates.

Why make a video like this with these kind of disclaimers.
All this does is promote unnecessary console wars.

I doubt John’s idea of a big surprise is necessarily the same as what some of us would like. He’s probably talking about load times of existing next gen games. We think he’s about to announce Bloodborne 2 😂
Agree, my only guesses are something about PlayStation Store or something about platform comparisons.

I'm going to make a few guesses.

1. The new store is going to be very impressive looking.
  2. There were rumors that you could stream demos from the store.
  3. A break down of the new create functionality: Create your own demos might be a thing.
I envy you for being able to keep low expectations. None of what you said here classify as a surprise.

assurdum

Banned
I‘m not expecting much. I think we’re pretty much done with the big news prior to launch.
Well if he says big surprise now he has my attention again. Doesn't expect the later surprise was about good BC , now I'm starting to be really hyped for every new surprise

Unbelievable. So now 4k native with raytracing is not impressive in a console for someone.
Only because it runs on a supposedly weak hardware (otherwise native 4K 30 + RT is impressive on a 3090), he really can't stop shitting on PS5 hardware, even when he seems to say good things:

(RT at) 4K 30 is impressive for the Hardware spec

It must be hard for him to spin things when the PS5 hardware is equivalent to a 2060 in his mind and visually equals the best RT games running on twice (or more) more powerful hardware.

Remember the rumors(i.e. HipHopGamer) about PS Now being their real BC solution for PS1-3?

Talk about the plans and future for PS Now has been very, very quiet. There was someone who mentioned on here yesterday I think about a slot or file(not sure) about PS3 games.

Maybe that's the big surprise. I still think that would've leaked out, but who knows. I really can't think of what "big" surprises there possibly could be unless it involves PS Now or some things coming in the Firmware update.

I'm just flabbergasted there even could be speculation or hints of "surprises" 6 days before launch. I certainly believe HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 but its wild they can keep secrets this late in the ball game.

Remember the rumors(i.e. HipHopGamer) about PS Now being their real BC solution for PS1-3?

Talk about the plans and future for PS Now has been very, very quiet. There was someone who mentioned on here yesterday I think about a slot or file(not sure) about PS3 games.

Maybe that's the big surprise. I still think that would've leaked out, but who knows. I really can't think of what "big" surprises there possibly could be unless it involves PS Now or some things coming in the Firmware update.

I'm just flabbergasted there even could be speculation or hints of "surprises" 6 days before launch. I certainly believe HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 but its wild they can keep secrets this late in the ball game.
Yes, there is a "PS3" option in the Game Library. I think there should be a PS2 option too since those games are also on PS Now but it might be nothing.
V94RlPk.png

NEbeast

After all those we believe in generations Marketing crap from Sony and then releasing Spider-Man MM and Horizon Forbidden West on PS4.
Now we have another turn of events, after praising the SSD as the second coming of Jesus and saying that it’s FAR AHEAD (!) of HIGH-END PCs! LOL
fuck even Linus had to make a apoligize video:

for not praising the PS5 SSD, although he was write from the fucking beginning!
Seriously, Sony should get much more flack for pulling this crap.

Oh boy, if MS would do anything like this, they would be dead already.
Just remember when MS openly and very transparently announced that they are doing cross-gen games, how EVERYONE - even MS fanboys - trashed them.
now imagine if they pretended all the time that they believe in generations and then come out saying they will release cross-gen games. This would be a bloodbath
TECHRADAR (on XBSX): Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill.

Damn, you sound so desperate.

MastaKiiLA

Error logs in dash are just a terrible idea. I can speak from experience, that they bring more bad than good. Most users don't know how to interpret a typical event log, not realizing that any number of things could have gone wrong with a stated error. On top of that, seeing the "Something went wrong" generico error means that probably don't have a specific code for that fail state. It opens things up for negative interpretation, when the issue could very well be due to user error, or configuration issues. They tend to generate more support requests than are necessary. Hopefully that's just the test kit UI, and error reporting can be handled silently via API. Otherwise, expect a regular dose of error log screenshot FUD throughout the generation.

assurdum

Banned
Only because it runs on a supposedly weak hardware (otherwise native 4K 30 + RT is impressive on a 3090), he really can't stop shitting on PS5 hardware, even when he seems to say good things:

It must be hard for him to spin things when the PS5 hardware is equivalent to a 2060 in his mind and visually equals the best RT games running on twice (or more) more powerful hardware.
I understand your point. Thing is although we continue to repeat TF doesn't count, still even people like him continue to think such TF is the right meter to define the ps5 specs range. The only reason because ps5 has less TF it's just because it uses less CUs but if gpu is designed around the 36 CUs, hardly will be a limiting factors if not in some limited scenario. To have a 2,2Ghz GPU it's really a smart move and it will give other advantages too in the end. Imo.

Last edited:

Games Dean

I saw a UI video that showed the 'game library' tile on the PS5 and it showed this when you sort by platform:
cd6UECw.jpg

Now I'm not going to get my hopes up because something of this magnitude would have leaked once the console got into people's hands but maybe it could be the surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom