• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LivingD3AD

Is it next gen?! 🤔

MKu3dzI.jpg

reksveks

You mean between Mesh Shaders and Primitive Shaders (Including GE)? Honestly both will be utilised heavy for each console, I don’t know how exactly we’ll the difference, but I’m sure both we’ll lead to terrific results. There’s some tech demos from developers making use of Mesh Shaders and they look amazing, likewise the UE5 tech demo was also using PS5’s Primitive Shaders.

Mean between Mesh Shaders and VRS within DX12U as whole and GE. I think both hopefully will used heavily but think PC/Xbox might depend on the number of GPU's with support of DX12_2 . Yeah, that asteroid demo from Nvidia is pretty great example of this, the UE5 demo seems like a great example of it.

reksveks

f
Is it next gen?! 🤔

MKu3dzI.jpg

For 4K60, it kinda will be and has to be. I think until the consoles have good upscalers, anything targeting 4k60 will have to make sacrifices elsewhere also remember that Assassin Creed typically has a smaller turnaround than other similar sized Open Word RPG's.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
this is great an all, but it would be still better if it just supports VRS. Because now does a dev have to do?
With VRS just optimize it once and use it for both PC and XBOX. Since PS5 doesn’t support it, they would have to develop a customer feature and this will take more time and resource, which will make developing games more expensive. Not sure if devs will even do this or just don’t use that feature at all.
Lol I think Sony removed the standard RDNA 2 implementation of VRS in favour of the Geometry Engine, it’s true that fully programming and pushing the GE may take a year or two but I wouldn’t go as far to say it’s a burden for developers, as Cerny mentioned, it simply presents an opportunity for developers. In fact, if the leaks are accurate, the GE functionality was a feature heavily requested by developers so they could achieve more significant performance optimisations and so that the GPU is not taxed with useless worklods, as was the case with PS4 and PS4 Pro, this was also one of the reasons those consoles ran very hot and loud.

As for making use of VRS on the PS5, I don’t think it will be difficult at all, but we can only speculate so much untill we hear actual stuff from developers.

This is just nitpicking, do you realise you could find examples (in a scene) where assets look bad/poor in almost any game. There are very few games that look perfect from all angles.

Is this about the vegetation draw distance?

It's probably going to stay that way throughout the game. It's not like it's dynamic or anything. Openworld games do tend to have this kind of thing. But to be fair at least it's not as short as Halo Infinite. Now that game was pretty bad with the grass popping in a few feet from you.

Imtjnotu

It's probably going to stay that way throughout the game. It's not like it's dynamic or anything. Openworld games do tend to have this kind of thing. But to be fair at least it's not as short as Halo Infinite. Now that game was pretty bad with the grass popping in a few feet from you.
Again it's ubi. I don't take any ubi game graphics serious regardless of platform

this is great an all, but it would be still better if it just supports VRS. Because now does a dev have to do?
With VRS just optimize it once and use it for both PC and XBOX. Since PS5 doesn’t support it, they would have to develop a customer feature and this will take more time and resource, which will make developing games more expensive. Not sure if devs will even do this or just don’t use that feature at all.
VRS as done by MS is not great at all. It makes everything blurry for small perf gains. Sony have a better strategy IMO. Instead of making 90% of the image blurry (in order to save 5-10% perf), Sony are going to make the most visible part of the image sharper while saving some ressources thanks to their Geometry engine because they won't have to shade some invisible parts of the final image.

Sony's strategy of Variable rate shading is Win-win, while MS's strategy is win-lose.

“Listen to Digital Foundry” !!! But Digital Foundry is biased toward Microsoft/Xbox when they something negative about Sony. That’s what the internet told me.

How many times is this stupid and lazy excuse for a joke/drive-by going to be repeated? Are we going for a record in one month to see how many times the same cringe can be said in different ways?

:messenger_grinning_squinting:

That's right. I don't think it's terrible and wouldn't be too noticeable while playing, but it's only an early cross gen game so devs are still learning about the hardware and upgrading their game engines.

Doncabesa

So like the zooms that people do with multiplat comparisons to reveal hard to spot flaws?

I wouldn't really take that picture seriously then.
Yep, just weird attempts to attack something because it was shown on an Xbox system. I'll look for the original tweet. The game looks great for running 4k/60 and it will look great on both platforms.

Last edited:
Yep, just weird attempts to attack something because it was shown on an Xbox system. I'll look for the original tweet. The game looks great for running 4k/60 and it will look great on both platforms.

Some people are are saying that it will look bad on the PS5 but we have to wait and see if it's true.

Andodalf

Banned
Doesn’t matter! Not even close to what we have seen with RDR2 on last gen consoles!
Better draw distance and textures/geometry are at least things I expected to see on a 12tflops next gen machine not being worse compared to last gen games!

qoCDCXF.jpg

Not sure if you’re a troll or just don’t see the several draw distance culling ranges here starting about where that bush is. Far closer to the camera that in the AC shot.

Just made my first ever thread post, would love to hear your guys opinion

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Doesn’t matter! Not even close to what we have seen with RDR2 on last gen consoles!
Better draw distance and textures/geometry are at least things I expected to see on a 12tflops next gen machine not being worse compared to last gen games!

qoCDCXF.jpg
How long did they were making this game? I mean Ubisoft is really not there....but Valhalla looks way more fun to actually playing it.

GriffinCorp

So has Sony talked about any support for Dolby Atmos with UHD Movies? I know their going to have 3D audio for games but I was hoping that Atmos would be coming for UHD supported movies.

Dibils2k

So like the zooms that people do with multiplat comparisons to reveal hard to spot flaws?

I wouldn't really take that picture seriously then.
its not same thing, zoom is used in comparisons to show resolution/clarity differences because of compression and the screensize you might be watching on

where as here its used with bad intentions

its not same thing, zoom is used in comparisons to show resolution/clarity differences because of compression and the screensize you might be watching on

where as here its used with bad intentions

Well zoom in that other case can be used with bad intentions as well. Neither one is realistic to be honest.

v_iHuGi

Banned
f

For 4K60, it kinda will be and has to be. I think until the consoles have good upscalers, anything targeting 4k60 will have to make sacrifices elsewhere also remember that Assassin Creed typically has a smaller turnaround than other similar sized Open Word RPG's.

Nah Demon Souls running at 60 looks like miles better.

Ubisoft quality is pretty low these days, Series X future games at 60FPS will look miles better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom