• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andodalf

Banned
Ouch for that no upgrade recommendation from ArsTechnica to PS5 for existing PS4/PS4 Pro users.

1pSK6XR.jpg

I mean both consoles lack killer apps at this point. Maybe Cyberpunk depending on how bad current gen is

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

Watched the video, it's great although the ending was a little strange. Richard mentioned that Microsoft claiming "Series X" has full RDNA 2 integration would not have made it past the AMD legal team if it had not been true, but he added that if RDNA 2 features are missing from the PS5 how would it impact the gaming? I'm a little annoyed that they're still entertaining these narratives and yet still complain because they get harassed by toxic fanboys on either side. But judging by Richard's wording and tone he seem's to be implying that the "full RDNA 2 integration" of the Series X matters little when it comes to gaming vs the PS5.

I'm still think RedGamingTech is on the money when he stated that the PS5 was RDNA 2 based but Sony removed certain features because they felt it wouldn't benefit the console and instead added in their own customisations like the Geometry Engine, cache scrubbers and such. It's directly in line with what Mark Cerny mentioned in the Road to the PS5 talk, that being said I'm actually find the whole "full RDNA 2" discussion very tedious.

Elysion

Banned
So, I haven‘t been paying much attention to the whole next-gen thing in recent days (I was too distracted by the election drama in Zimbabwe).

It seems the PS5 underperforms when it comes to BC loadtimes? That‘s kinda surprising. Is there still anything that we don‘t know? Any embargoes left?

Sw0pDiller

I agree with the ps4/ one though, and I would add that xbox has the 360 titles as well, so to each of his own
We are all winners here. To be honest I did not expected the bc for ps4 games in ps5 to be as it is now. I fully expected Microsoft to blow sony out of the water because of the direct x api that deals with the difference in hardware. In fact both fanbases can be very happy with the stuff both parties are showing.

sinnergy

Watched the video, it's great although the ending was a little strange. Richard mentioned that Microsoft claiming "Series X" has full RDNA 2 integration would not have made it past the AMD legal team if it had not been true, but he added that if RDNA 2 features are missing from the PS5 how would it impact the gaming? I'm a little annoyed that they're still entertaining these narratives and yet still complain because they get harassed by toxic fanboys on either side. But judging by Richard's wording and tone he seem's to be implying that the "full RDNA 2 integration" of the Series X matters little when it comes to gaming vs the PS5.

I'm still think RedGamingTech is on the money when he stated that the PS5 was RDNA 2 based but Sony removed certain features because they felt it wouldn't benefit the console and instead added in their own customisations like the Geometry Engine, cache scrubbers and such. It's directly in line with what Mark Cerny mentioned in the Road to the PS5 talk, that being said I'm actually find the whole "full RDNA 2" discussion very tedious.
People believe, what they want to believe .. human nature .

Last edited:
The same reason sony did not shout from the roofs that their bc mode is in a number of ways better than the competition.

its not better though?!
It runs games with a much lower res, without 16x AF, without true auto-HDR is better now?
Only because some games have a more stable res?
I’d rather have:
- a much higher resolution
- 16x AF
- true Auto-HDR
- quick resume with up to 12 BC games
- much faster loading time.

than nothing of that and a lower resolution and just a Little more stable framerate in some games.

Back at Hot Chips the MS block diagram Showed 4 lanes total. Seemed like 2 for the Internal and 2 for the external...

If that's the case, can the Western Digital SSD be "forward compatible" and support Gen4 x2 instead of Gen3 x4? Maybe with a controller update?

I am curious about this, I really don't know...

Last edited:

HAL-01

its not better though?!
It runs games with a much lower res, without 16x AF, without true auto-HDR is better now?
I’d rather have:
- 16x AF
- true Auto-HDR

than nothing of that and a lower resolution and just a Little more stable framerate in some games.
Why are you so threatened by a post affirming ps5 bc has the edge in a few ways

Mr Moose

its not better though?!
I’d rather have:
- 16x AF
- true Auto-HDR

True auto HDR? Is this the new true 4k? lol

Gudji

Games have better performance on PS5, I'm not sure why people are saying it's due to lower resolutions when the latest and some of the better looking games on PS4 like GoT and Days Gone run with locked 60 FPS at 4K with ease. The CPU and GPU boost is massive and it is delivering the expected result (as I always said here it would)... so much for the FUD being spread with things like "only legacy modes are being used" and "PS5 uses half the CU's with BC" being said, nice bullshit.

At the end of the day both consoles have good BC with MS putting a bit more effort into it. Everyone should be happy, I sure am and hopefully I get a console on the 19th.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Games have better performance on PS5, I'm not sure why people are saying it's due to lower resolutions when the latest and some of the better looking games on PS4 like GoT and Days Gone run with locked 60 FPS at 4K with ease. The CPU and GPU boost is massive and it is delivering the expected result (as I always said here it would)... so much for the FUD being spread with things like "only legacy modes are being used" and "PS5 uses half the CU's with BC" being said, nice bullshit.

At the end of the day both consoles have good BC with MS putting a bit more effort into it. Everyone should be happy, I sure am and hopefully I get a console on the 19th.

People need their little wins, that's why.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Games have better performance on PS5, I'm not sure why people are saying it's due to lower resolutions
Because those games are in fact running at a lower resolution.

They all run great in general on both systems either way... and sounds like boost mode works generally well on PS5... but there are differences in games across PS5 and XSX because there were differences on PS4 Pro and XOX.. and thus we see some of these differences come through in BC.

Gudji

Because those games are in fact running at a lower resolution.

They all run great in general on both systems either way... and sounds like boost mode works generally well on PS5... but there are differences in games across PS5 and XSX because there were differences on PS4 Pro and XOX.. and thus we see some of these differences come through in BC.

I didn't say some games didn't run at lower resolution. If all those tested games were running at 4K the performance would be the same.
Some posters here are implying PS5 can't have the same performance with the same resolution XSX uses, which is obviously a big load of bullshit.

ToadMan

If that's the case, can the Western Digital SSD be "forward compatible" and support Gen4 x2 instead of Gen3 x4? Maybe with a controller update?

I am curious about this, I really don't know...

The spec for PCIe does provide forwards and backwards compatibility - but how that manifests I don’t know.

This was the slide with the lane spec.

IFOoT9D.jpg

Last edited:

renx

Exactly. Besides PS4 Pro performance wasn't better than the One X, despite using lower resolution and checkerboard.
So if PS5 BC has more stable framerates and frametimes, it's awesome.
And the best thing is: when the games are locked at 60 without framedrops, it means it can do even better.

Loxus

The spec for PCIe does provide forwards and backwards compatibility - but how that manifests I don’t know.

This was the slide with the lane spec.

IFOoT9D.jpg
x2 PCIe Gen4?
Is that implying, Internal using 2 lanes and External using the other 2 lanes?
un1XsQB.png

Sw0pDiller

its not better though?!
I’d rather have:
- 16x AF
- true Auto-HDR

Wow you really triggered by all of this huh? I understand, coming from your 12.3 TF powerhouse narrative for the last months it's really hard to see all that TF and fancy direct x names advantages go up in smoke. it's just the little things now that gives your box of choice the edge. I'll give you your 16xAF and loading time advantages but still i wil be playing some serious kickass games like Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone and The Last Guardian on ps5 and i'll gladly wait a little longer for those babies to load in 4k/60. these 3 games alone are enough to make short work any 12 quick resume games you may have loaded in on the mighty X. granted, i wish Sony will ben patching in something like that but my god i barely have time to play one game in the evening. let alone 12, what kind of argument is that anyway?

You can be happy with your auto HDR (my LG has that feature too and it's off) and than you still have to ignore the kick ass 1st party launch games PS5 is showing because yeah, it wont be any fun otherwise. Good luck the coming weeks, you'll need it.

Last edited:

renx

I just don't get it.
If the PS5 hardware has certain custom features that makes it different or even better than the competition, why in the world does Sony allows the "Xbox is full featured RDNA 2 and more powerful" to become common knowledge?
People can say that PS5 advantages were already mentioned in the Cerny's Road to PS5 conference.
Well, Digital Foundry and every other reviewer don't even mention about possible secret sauces or special features within the SoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom