• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
That will be amazing if true. I just think many people underestimate Nvidia without a good reason. AMD is far smaller company so whole situation is fully understandable. They did their best.
Let's clear one thing up. Nvidia is great, a little arrogant at times, but still great. Both have their ups and downs and Rtx was and still is state of the art and tech in which NV had a headstart in, so their advantage is clear in this area. But let's not discount Amd just yet, it's their first foray into rt acceleration so game devs might not be familiar with their rt intersection libraries at present. Give it some time and things could potentially improve. I have a feeling Radeon Rays hasn't been implemented in games yet which is why we see some diminishing returns at the moment. I might be wrong though and I'll gladly eat crow if i am. But I'm willing to give Amd some headroom to see where things will go.

Last edited:
Let’s just hold on a moment here.

The poor performance of the Xsex isn’t necessarily a reflection on AMDs next GPUs.

At Hot Chips, MS showed an RT solution that shared silicon with the TMUs. That seemed to be based on an AMD white paper from last year. A kind of hybrid solution rather than dedicated RT hardware.

The thing is, at the RDNA2 presentation AMD presented GPUs with entirely separate RT silicon according to the block diagrams shown.

All we know about PS5 so far is that Cerny said it uses AMD’s RDNA2 RT solution.

So right now I think we’re still waiting to see exactly what RDNA2 is and what the PS5 has...

Here you go.

Another major new feature of our custom RDNA2 based GPU is Ray-Tracing.

Using the same strategy as AMD's upcoming PC GPUs.

The CUs contain a new specialized unit called the Intersection Engine which can calculate the intersection of rays with boxes and triangles.

Exactly what you said. Notice how Cerny said it's the same as the PC GPUs?

If anything I believe that Microsoft's RT strategy was to help save die space due to them wanting more CUs on it. Hence why you have to choose between TMUs and RT. Just my guess anyways.

Last edited:
Why would anyone underestimate Nvidia? Did you get that backwards?
Because many people wanting it to be like that?
They have unrealistic expectations from RDNA2 and forgot how good Nvidia is since Pascal.
I don't want to argue about that. Actually faster RDNA2 is better for me, as I want PS5. But I hardly believe in miracles.

ToadMan

Here you go.

Exactly what you said. Notice how Cerny said it's the same as the PC GPUs?

If anything I believe that Microsoft's RT strategy was to help save die space due to them wanting more CUs on it. Hence why you have to choose between TMUs and RT. Just my guess anyways.

Yep still curious about this.

I’m not sure when we’ll get a clarification though. Might be nothing, might be something.:messenger_spock:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Because this seems to be your first console launch.

like every gen the first launch titles will be lazy ports. Unoptimized and don’t even use a fraction of the potential power of the console.
we will see game that will perform much better than the super GPU, because devs optimize for console.
But this won’t happen at launch. It will take some time. Like every single gen so far, since this seems to be your first launch, you couldn’t know, but now you do.
thanks for being a condescending prick.

this has nothing to do with it being a lazy port. we are comparing performance of a console gpu and a pc gpu with literally the same fucking settings. if optimizations are made then they would be made for the pc version too and the gap will remain the same.

Hashi

Next, 'Don't believe your eyes, have faith.'
giphy.gif

Shmunter

taking a break from gaming, I wanna say Astro’s playroom is such a wonderful launch title. I’m so happy that it is loaded on every ps5. Without spoiling anything, id say it is the first game everyone should play when they get the ps5 before anything else!

such a masterpiece!
Yes, it’s joy. So much so I downloaded knack. Never bothered to play it on PS4. It’s fantastic! Real crunchy gameplay, and 60 on PS5 just makes it real nice.

Last edited:
PC games can now be played on Steam with the DualSense

sircaw

Banned
taking a break from gaming, I wanna say Astro’s playroom is such a wonderful launch title. I’m so happy that it is loaded on every ps5. Without spoiling anything, id say it is the first game everyone should play when they get the ps5 before anything else!

such a masterpiece!

Thats great to hear
Do you have sack boy, i want a comparison on thoughts which you prefer if you do.

Please have sack boy, please have a sack boy,

Last edited:
6 other PS4 games that are not backward compatible on PS5

Looks like Series S isnt the most wanted system, went to see if stores have PS5 peripherals on shelf while it is still 5 days till launch and saw series S on multiple stores. This one had 3 on shelf and "more on the back" when I asked out of curiosity :messenger_savoring: Didnt see series X so that is probably sold out for some time. PS5 is sold out until early 2021, so there is no hope for people whom didnt preorder.

Kind of funny, the add on background says "xbox one x - worlds most powerful gaming console" :messenger_beaming: Gaming department of this store is lead by some retard, they never even bring games on launch to the shelf, lazy bastards

FFfzJS2.jpg

Looks like Series S isnt the most wanted system, went to see if stores have PS5 peripherals on shelf while it is still 5 days till launch and saw series S on multiple stores. This one had 3 on shelf and "more on the back" when I asked out of curiosity :messenger_savoring: Didnt see series X so that is probably sold out for some time. PS5 is sold out until early 2021, so there is no hope for people whom didnt preorder.

Kind of funny, the add on background says "xbox one x - worlds most powerful gaming console" :messenger_beaming: Gaming department of this store is lead by some retard, they never even bring games on launch to the shelf, lazy bastards

FFfzJS2.jpg
No one asked for it.

FFfzJS2.jpg

In my store they have the Series S mislabled as the One S.

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member
Welp, was loving playing Spider-Man MM and suffered a hard crash, shut down my PS5, would not let me turn it back on with the power button or controller. Had to unplug it to get it to turn back on, go through the storage repair screens for both my SSD and connected HDD, and now my screen is black and the console says it is on. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Hoping that if I shut it off and turn it back on that everything will be back to normal.

I am not a religious man but, friends, please pray for me.

THEAP99

Banned
Welp, was loving playing Spider-Man MM and suffered a hard crash, shut down my PS5, would not let me turn it back on with the power button or controller. Had to unplug it to get it to turn back on, go through the storage repair screens for both my SSD and connected HDD, and now my screen is black and the console says it is on. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Hoping that if I shut it off and turn it back on that everything will be back to normal.

sircaw

Banned
It really is. I used it yesterday during Spider-man and it just take me straight into challenges where I earned a quick trophy in the matter of seconds, it's great and I hope all games utilize it

i hope they do this with all the batman games, add cards to them, so i can finally be arsed to do those joker riddles and they can show me how to do half of the ones i could not figure out lol. Thick old bastard am i,

I wish you luck. Hopefully it fixes itself.

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member
Thanks AP, I will give it a try and wait a few minutes!
I wish you luck. Hopefully it fixes itself.
Unplugged everything to the PS5, waited five minutes, plugged in only the power and HDMI first to boot, all is well again! I am so very happy it was only a hard crash and software issue rather than a brick.

It seems several next-gen PS5 games are awaiting patches at the moment in relation to hard crashes, which is of course expected so close to the PS5's launch, optimization is still being perfected and I am thankful for people's assistance and support here on GAF; you are all amazing, even those who play Xbox (I kid, do not crush me with your black obelisks of "infinite power") :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Again, you are all amazing, and I truly hope you can all enjoy these consoles soon!

devilNprada

Alright guys I'm a bit pissed I have a two year old $3500 Sony TV that sucks apparently..

So is it better to set the settings @1080p with HDR?
Or 2160P no HDR?

F

jose4gg

Unplugged everything to the PS5, waited five minutes, plugged in only the power and HDMI first to boot, all is well again! I am so very happy it was only a hard crash and software issue rather than a brick.

It seems several next-gen PS5 games are awaiting patches at the moment in relation to hard crashes, which is of course expected so close to the PS5's launch, optimization is still being perfected and I am thankful for people's assistance and support here on GAF; you are all amazing, even those who play Xbox (I kid, do not crush me with your black obelisks of "infinite power") :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Again, you are all amazing, and I truly hope you can all enjoy these consoles soon!

Please don't connect your hdd to your ps5 for now, itat has become a norm, in brick reports

TLZ

Banned
Astro's Playroom is so good that having it given for free as a pack in is almost a crime.

I want this in physical form and spend money on it. It's so worth it. Very well made and almost, if not, on par with the Mario games. The charm, the controls, the graphics, the characters, the nostalgic note they play on. So good!

It's not so bad having to wait a while to get one. At least we can see the issues that others are having and how to fix them.

Glad it's working for you.

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member
It's not so bad having to wait a while to get one. At least we can see the issues that others are having and how to fix them.

Glad it's working for you.
I am glad and proud to be your guinea pigs for this new wave of next-generation consoles, I am loving the PS5 so far no matter what! If you want me to try anything out on them for you, like blowing vape smoke into the top of the PS5, I do not vape but I will sacrifice my lungs to fulfill your darkest fantasies!

FFfzJS2.jpg

What makes it worse is that Series X shipping allocation completely dominates Series S, almost to a tune of 4 to 1 (according to preorders). You shouldn't be able to find Series S anywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom