• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Next God of War being cross-gen, what a way to kill the hype

1492677538-gordon-ramsay.gif
Just imagine how dated that entire game design is going to feel now that they cannot take advantage of the ssd beyond loading, or take full advantage of the cpu beyond a higher framerate. They had talked about how their vision for the entire Stranger fight was limited by the I/O on the PS4. Stranger and Kratos were meant to be throwing each other at mountains and traversing entire levels in realtime. Cant do that now. Forget destruction now that the CPU cant be used for that.

What an awful fucking decision. Imagine playing a game built on a 1.6 ghz CPU in 2021. 1.6 ghz. Even the PS3 had a 3.2 ghz cpu.

SkankHunt420

Neo Member

I really cant see why people in other places lick his boots, he cant even go a day without shitting on consoles. does it really matter if they run fire or cloth physics simulation half frame rate?

Does he want consoles to cost 2 grand so only "influncers" can get them for free and then cry why they are not cheap. Not everyone can shell ÂŁ500+ on just a gpu.

Consoles are designed around a budget, and sacrifices are done to meet it. hence optimizations are done to make games more beautiful and run better.

i agree, but, i think his rant is mostly against ubistoft (or at least should be). 30fps cloth in 60fps games is really annoying(thats why i quitted playing ac syndicate), i rather have the resolution toned down. Ubisoft always deliver half-baked games it doesnt even surprise me anymore, what does surprise me is that Microsoft is marketing their game hard and they still cant deliver on xbox lmao.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

That fanboy hate is why and how they get paid.

There’s basically zero reasons for DF to do these head to heads. They could produce a spreadsheet without an editorial and publish it and that would be enough.

They get the “hate” because they offer opinions in addition to the data and those opinions can be interpreted as positive or negative depending on the viewer’s bias.

DF do that because the drama gets them hits. They reap what they sow.
i mean i do not agree with any of this, there is many reasons to do H2H... mainly to see how each system handles a game and allow people to choose which one they want to play on if they have the option.. It also provides interesting insight into how optimisation was done for specific versions... those are the most interesting videos lol

opinionated approach is, again, what makes the videos interesting, they can also talk about things that cant be shown or represented on a youtube video, i wouldnt watch it if it was just numbers nor would many others. If you want just numbers they also do a write up which outlines each stats

You cant blame them for making the content they want and fanboys ruining it... what kind of a messed up logic is that, sure fanboys might help their views but its clear their intention is based on passion. No one likes their hard work be met with so much negativity.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Just imagine how dated that entire game design is going to feel now that they cannot take advantage of the ssd beyond loading, or take full advantage of the cpu beyond a higher framerate. They had talked about how their vision for the entire Stranger fight was limited by the I/O on the PS4. Stranger and Kratos were meant to be throwing each other at mountains and traversing entire levels in realtime. Cant do that now. Forget destruction now that the CPU cant be used for that.

What an awful fucking decision. Imagine playing a game built on a 1.6 ghz CPU in 2021. 1.6 ghz. Even the PS3 had a 3.2 ghz cpu.
The biggest problem I have with cross-gen games is that games take longer to make than ever before and if we have cross-gen for GOW and Horizon in 2021 how many truly next-gen games will Santa Monica and Guerilla Games be able to put out? Two at most but realistically just a single one and we will be already close to the PS6.

I expect Horizon Forbidden West and GOW Ragnarok to be amazing games but in the back of my head I will always question how much better they could be on PS5 only. I still hope GOW Ragnarok is made from the ground up for PS5.

Last edited:

ToadMan

i mean i do not agree with any of this, there is many reasons to do H2H... mainly to see how each system handles a game and allow people to choose which one they want to play on if they have the option.. It also provides interesting insight into how optimisation was done for specific versions... those are the most interesting videos lol

opinionated approach is, again, what makes the videos interesting, they can also talk about things that cant be shown or represented on a youtube video, i wouldnt watch it if it was just numbers nor would many others. If you want just numbers they also do a write up which outlines each stats

You cant blame them for making the content they want and fanboys ruining it... what kind of a messed up logic is that, sure fanboys might help their views but its clear their intention is based on passion. No one likes their hard work be met with so much negativity.

Except right now they’re doing head to heads which show the games are imperceptibly different. That’s how it’s gonna be this gen.

I don’t mean play it and enjoy and don’t worry about the “other” version. I mean literally if you put the games side by side and removed the identifying features no one could tell which was which.

What DF is attempting - inefficiently hehe - to generate now is just argument for argument’s sake. Their options are irrelevant because they have no experience in the field of software engineering. They’re 3 gaming journalists with a pause button and some tools.

I don’t doubt their enthusiasm but right now they’re making money off fuel for console warring and nothing else.

Even last gen - xbone vs PS4 - ok that might make a difference to someone. After that, waste of time.

This gen it was obvious DF comparison would be waste of time months ago. Even DF said they’d have to find news ways to differentiate and they failed to do even that.

This is grist for the console war mill.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Man, this guy should be put again in what he's good at, game designing! Although he might end up being useless as tools are way too advanced if he didn't keep himself updated. Still, wonderful resume of one of the most iconic racing games in history. Really loved TD4 on PS1 back in the day.

PSX

GPU Jungle lyrics

Look at the light, it falls just right, My shadows they please,
beneath the trees. But none of these things, happen for free,
Yeah all that you see, rendered by me.

I synthesize and rasterize immaterial things that I fabricate for you. For you.
Yes I tessellate and animate these dancing sprites and sun-lit skies for you.

I do it for you. I'm your GPU. GPU.
Tell me what to do and I'll do it for you. GPU.
Tell me what to do and I'll do it for you.

You've never wondered why,
I catch your eye, It's coz you overlook, all the choices I took.
I spend all of my time, deceiving and misleading you,
I like to surprise, with my virtual lies.

I synthesize and rasterize immaterial things that I fabricate for you.
For you. Yes I tessellate and animate these dancing sprites and sun-lit skies for you.
I do it for you. I'm your GPU.

This is a free game! well done Sony! 🤟

tenor.gif

Last edited:

I really cant see why people in other places lick his boots, he cant even go a day without shitting on consoles. does it really matter if they run fire or cloth physics simulation half frame rate?

Does he want consoles to cost 2 grand so only "influncers" can get them for free and then cry why they are not cheap. Not everyone can shell ÂŁ500+ on just a gpu.

Consoles are designed around a budget, and sacrifices are done to meet it. hence optimizations are done to make games more beautiful and run better.

Jokes on him the human eye can't see fire for more than 24fps

GPU Jungle

Look at the light, it falls just right, My shadows they please,
beneath the trees. But none of these things, happen for free,
Yeah all that you see, rendered by me.

I synthesize and rasterize immaterial things that I fabricate for you. For you.
Yes I tessellate and animate these dancing sprites and sun-lit skies for you.

I do it for you. I'm your GPU. GPU.
Tell me what to do and I'll do it for you. GPU.
Tell me what to do and I'll do it for you.

You've never wondered why,
I catch your eye, It's coz you overlook, all the choices I took.
I spend all of my time, deceiving and misleading you,
I like to surprise, with my virtual lies.

I synthesize and rasterize immaterial things that I fabricate for you.
For you. Yes I tessellate and animate these dancing sprites and sun-lit skies for you.
I do it for you. I'm your GPU.

This is a free game! well done Sony! 🤟

tenor.gif

Absolute banger.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Man, this guy should be put again in what he's good at, game designing! Although he might end up being useless as tools are way too advanced if he didn't keep himself updated. Still, wonderful resume of one of the most iconic racing games in history. Really loved TD4 on PS1 back in the day.
I agree, he is not really good at leading company, that's why I was suprised about TVTVTVT TV stuff back in the day, because he is game dev...

kyliethicc

Seems their blockbuster sellers that hot the 10 million mark or hover around will be cross because you will buy it either way, while games like Ratchet who don't will be exclusive as a way to drive the tech forward and the hardcore will buy it.
Yup, they want max sales on the big budget games, so cross gen. It sucks for us who want ture next gen games asap, but it makes sense from their view I guess.

Astro Playroom was made for DualSense, Demon's Souls is the launch PS5 showcase, Ratchet is made to show off PS5 SSD game design, Gran Turismo 7 will be locked to PS5 only to get GT fans to buy PS5s, Returnal is a smaller budget new IP, etc.

But Spider Miles, Horizon 2, Sackboy, and God of War 2 all started as PS4 games years ago in development anyways, so I'm sure that makes doing 2 versions easier.

travisktl

Looks ok, but nasty pop ins everywhere. But love the feel of scale while turning around, I've never seen a game that dense as a city.

Why the fuck it's shown in 1080p? What are they hiding? Is it still fresh (processing 4K)?

Looks good overall, but not impressive nor next gen, neither on PC.
I agree. There are certain things that look great and the atmosphere of it all is so cool, but this game has been in development for so long now that we're getting games like Demon's Souls, Miles, and Ratchet & Clank that are just so far ahead of what this game was designed to be. Had this released back when it was originally supposed to, I think opinions of the visuals would be a bit different.

kyliethicc

I agree, but remember just the other day you were enjoying Miles Morales? Keep that in mind too

Doncabesa

Looks ok, but nasty pop ins everywhere. But love the feel of scale while turning around, I've never seen a game that dense as a city.

Why the fuck it's shown in 1080p? What are they hiding? Is it still fresh (processing 4K)?

Was originally a livestream, no idea if/when 4k footage goes up.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Well, as for the 1080p...as I recall they said this game is coming out for CURRENT generation machines....so to get performance wouldn't surprise me if they were limited to 1080p. Even running on Xbox Series X, it's in BC mode. They said the next gen version won't be till later next year. So I'm guessing this is all current gen code shown, just running on XSX?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The crazy thing is, DF made a video saying they were preparing their tools for next gen...Richard said it explicitly. He said their current tools would not be able to measure up because of the advanced resolutions and framerates the new consoles would bring....They also wanted to better capture issues in graphics and be able to pixel count better and more reliably due to all the reconstruction techniques and point out the differences or anomalies.....

Then this gen comes up and they cant capture at 120fps, they have no been able to do a next gen video spelling out the differences in lighting and texture work between the consoles in AC Valhalla and COD, farless framerate...They are losing data north right and center as if it's their first rodeo. They are still not giving us like for like analyses and video runs...Vgtech who is a one man show has been giving screen tear data, mins, max framerates, percentages and all, straight from his video, no guesswork like DF does. His pixel counts are always bonafide too......So it appears that MS was not the only outlet who spoke a good game relative to readiness for launch and has fallen short. It seems their subsidiary DF has been caught with their panties down and their tools unprepared for next gen, just the same...

Bittermuch, if the gap was as big as you say and XBOX was so much more powerful, in this unoptimized port, it would have the better framerates through pure grunt and brute force.....

Yet, please continue the disingenuous BC 120hz spiel. Just remember that most BC games are running a higher resolution (1080P) and overall better performance over the Series X versions.....Pretty much every BC game you run on PS5 is a locked 60fps...But I know what's really going on, you really don't want these companies to patch the games you mentioned, because if they patch 120Hz in these older BC games....You know who takes pole position in that mode.......Nice try bitter.....
I'd say your expectations are "too damn high".... :messenger_beaming:...but we shall see...They said the AC video is dropping soonish...

I'd say I'm miffed by this...

All before this gen started...

MS has the best software, the best tools, GDK will be a gamechanger....

Now, MS tools are behind, it's not ready......Yet what happened to all these articles by journalists that were wild-fired on forums talking about MS is way ahead of Sony in preparation for next gen? Too many things don't add up for this "tools excuse"......

They are being outpaced by VGTechs, NXGamer, and many more. Their incompetence made other rise and expose BS. They're not adding anything more than what's clearly shown on VGTechs that has auto tear indicator that they're doing it manually on Microsoft Paint! :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Alex Buggaga just said it on twitter. We knew that it tears severely and much more than PS5, and goes as low as 1440p vs 1620p on PS5 and runs smoother and more stable on PS5.

They can't make something that can't upset Phil, so they came out with this new narrative "on consoles". Yeah, we don't know what's running like shit. They've rested on their laurels, made sleazy comments, now they can't say something too obvious that'll upset the green hand that feeds them.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

HoofHearted

the games biggest issue is it's just not very fun..
Both free games Astro's Playroom and Bugsnax were funner..

Yep - starting to look that way. I've played several AC games and after a bit they get repetitive and boring. Aside from all the nitpicking around glitches, resolution, FPS, and tearing - it's nice to see SOME games coming out that are simply decent and fun to play...

Now if they'd only drop the PS5s for sale so that I can buy one... I'm hoping that there will be some decent stock available to be able to score one late next week during Thanksgiving/BF sales..

Sinthor

Gold Member
She really pointed to her boobs?
Well, HER boobs are being pointed to in the photo, yes.

See...boobs, or 'mammaries' as they are commonly called, are a feature on females of most mammalian species. In the female, the breast region tends to grow larger than it does on the males. This lends itself to enhanced sexual attraction/reproduction with the males of the species while also functioning as a source of nourishment for young mammals when they are born.

That help you with your confusion? :messenger_winking_tongue:

ethomaz

Banned
From which store did you order yours? Mine was from Submarino for store pick-up. They still promise the delivery for Friday 20th.
Magazine Luiza.
I hope to get the console on Monday because it is holiday here on 20th.
The chances to receive in 19th are pretty small because I don’t live in capital.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom