• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's contractually obliged not to mention it.

Give it to the mod scene, the game will be fixed in a couple of weeks lol

One maybe incorrect settings, fair enough. I don't have a window with brass in the middle to check, as does, erm, no one else.

But seriously? you talk about buggy when your favourite bit of plastic does the above?

Have you no shame?
Wait, you guys are feeling shame over your preferred toys? Is that why you're hyperventilating over a visual bug?

Britney Spears Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I like shiny things (would take higher res/effects at a stable 30 than 60fps with lower stuff, I am weird).

Dependent. I usually go IQ > 60fps. But in this game performance is already very good. Didn't play Quality mode as switched to it for a moment and didn't feel much of a difference in the final IQ. It's not like last gen. Also if I didn't finish Miles Morales before the Performance RT mode might have chosen that as tested it and seems the best mode. Fidelity mode still insanely sharp but the blur/motion IQ is drastically better in 60fps.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time – coming to PS5 March 12

Enhanced for PlayStation 5

The PlayStation 5 brings It’s About Time to new heights with unparalleled visuals, supporting 4K at 60 FPS. Crank up your speakers and swim in the crisp, dynamic enhanced 3D Audio.
And it doesn’t just look and sound great, it feels great, too! The PS5’s DualSense wireless controller brings adaptive triggers to your fingertips. Feel the DNA change in objects hit by Neo Cortex’s blaster and feel the grip of Tawna’s Hookshot.

Why is that?
The EU should approve the merger on May 5th
The EU has had a hard-on for cock-blocking MS since they slapped them with a record fine over them bundling Internet Explorer with Windows.

I can easily see the EU anti-trust commission not being too keen on first party platform holders buying up entire multi-platform publishers and making all their games exclusive to starve the competition of content. It can easily be seen as anti-competitive, and especially for a company like MS who is one of the richest companies in the world, and also has a history of aggressively pursuing monopolies all the while abusing their market position.

Last edited:

Interfectum

The EU has had a hard-on for cock-blocking MS since they slapped them with a record fine over them bundling Internet Explorer with Windows.

I can easily see the EU anti-trust commission not being too keen on first party platform holders buying up entire multi-platform publishers and making all their games exclusive to starve the competition of content. It can easily be seen as anti-competitive, and especially for a company like MS who is one of the richest companies in the world, and also has a history of aggressively pursuing monopolies all the while abusing their market position.
You are talking out of your ass. This is standard practice for a M&A of this size.

Watching fanboys trying to gauge whether this "vault news" means they can get ES6 on their PS5 is fucking hilarious. Give it up already.

Last edited:

onesvenus

The EU fined Microsoft due to a "suspected abuse of dominant position".
Can you help me frame Microsoft as having a dominant position in the videogame world?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

They don't have a hard-on for MS lol.. Windows was a monopoly, MS was fined for activities related that in multiple countries... and in particular got in trouble for things like forcing OEMs to not install competing web browsers. They were then required to offer "browser choice" options upon installation in response...

They are nowhere near a monopoly in gaming; like not even close.. nobody is going to bat an eye at their Bethesda purchase.

Things like cell phone carriers buying out another carrier in the US? Sure.. because there are only a handful, and while they get scrutiny.. they generally are still allowed because competition is still strong. MS buying a publisher who was not really that large? Nah

Last edited:

I commend you for coming up with new ways to cope.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People are just really ignorant about anti-trust / monopoly laws.

Unless you have a monopoly, or there's like.. only 1-2 other big competitors, you can buy just about anything you want.

And even then, that just means your sale will be denied by commissions, you don't actually get in trouble. You get in trouble if you become a monopoly or super dominant and they find evidence you were anti-competitive to get there. Meaning you made specific deals to limit competition, particularly if you did so to avoid having to compete with their innovations.

Google has been a "search" monopoly for decades now; they are only now being sued in the US because an actual case was made by leaked internal communications where they said dumb ass shit.

Is MS buying Bethesda, and likely making many of their products exclusive "anti-competitive" in the generic sense? Sure; but in any countries laws? Nah.

HoofHearted

Confused - What exactly are you going on about? This would be more relevant if MS were buying out Sony.. but a multi-platform publisher?

What's different in this particular buyout versus what Sony does with their buyouts?

Is the concern here that more studios/games are now owned (and potentially made exclusive) by MS?

Sony had the same option to pursue and buy Bethesda as well - if they had done so - would your statement above be the same?

kyliethicc

Nah he's joining the new Sony team in San Diego working on a game with Sony's Visual Arts Service Group (their mo-cap and cinematics team that works on like all their games.) From their hiring write ups, they've said they're making "the next chapter in cinematic storytelling" in collab with another Sony dev team. So Uncharted most likely.

They're probably working on it as the lead team with a bit of help from Naughty Dog. Rumor has been that Sony built a new studio to make an Uncharted game so ND can move on.

OrZA6P7.jpg

He recently tweeted out this image saying come join the team etc.

0fbQ1Rv.jpg

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Warrior victim because the man wasn't happy with coil whine, nice. I actually never had any luck with coil whine, but i recognize that to some people it might be obnoxious. My wife complains every time she enters the room where the pc is. 99% of you would be singing a whole different song if it was the Xbox being affected by it.
You do realize that almost ALL electronics are affected by this issue? At least certain units of almost every computer model, AV receiver, etc. can get this. So Xbox is definitely not unaffected. My tongue in cheek response is due to not having seen anything that shows this sound, when it occurs, is detectable from a few feet away from the console. I'll grant that the more sensitive among us might be more affected by it if they are say...playing on computer monitors and have their setup on a desk. But this issue has cropped up even in very high end expensive video cards. A lot of people don't realize it, but the individual semiconductor components like capacitors are VERY CHEAP and bought in bulk. So there are bound to be issues. Many of us are old enough to remember when a bad capacitor fluid recipe that got into manufacturing resulted in every major computer manufacturer, even Apple, to recall MILLIONS of computers to replace the boards with the 'bad capacitors.'

All these manufacturers of electronics buy these components from the same, few companies. So yep, you can have 'capacitor whine' in ANYTHING you own potentially.

Again, I just haven't seen this to be shown to be a REAL issue. Now if it is, or I just haven't seen how bad it can actually be, I would expect these companies to replace/repair to honor their warranties. But from what I've seen so far, the BD noise is MUCH louder. Although again, granted, it's not consistent, the reports I've seen indicate the capacitor whine isn't a persistent issue either. Which you would expect as electric current loads vary during the device's operation.

That's all.

P.S. Sorry if I hurt your feelings with my tongue in cheek post on this.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You do realize that almost ALL electronics are affected by this issue? At least certain units of almost every computer model, AV receiver, etc. can get this. So Xbox is definitely not unaffected. My tongue in cheek response is due to not having seen anything that shows this sound, when it occurs, is detectable from a few feet away from the console. I'll grant that the more sensitive among us might be more affected by it if they are say...playing on computer monitors and have their setup on a desk. But this issue has cropped up even in very high end expensive video cards. A lot of people don't realize it, but the individual semiconductor components like capacitors are VERY CHEAP and bought in bulk. So there are bound to be issues. Many of us are old enough to remember when a bad capacitor fluid recipe that got into manufacturing resulted in every major computer manufacturer, even Apple, to recall MILLIONS of computers to replace the boards with the 'bad capacitors.'

All these manufacturers of electronics buy these components from the same, few companies. So yep, you can have 'capacitor whine' in ANYTHING you own potentially.

Again, I just haven't seen this to be shown to be a REAL issue. Now if it is, or I just haven't seen how bad it can actually be, I would expect these companies to replace/repair to honor their warranties. But from what I've seen so far, the BD noise is MUCH louder. Although again, granted, it's not consistent, the reports I've seen indicate the capacitor whine isn't a persistent issue either. Which you would expect as electric current loads vary during the device's operation.

That's all.

I have pretty bad coil whine but I dont notice it during movies. Even during quiet scenes. Games on the other hand yes. On rare occasions when its super quiet in game, i definitely notice the coil whine.

it is far far better than my rtx 2080 which moans like a common hooker. I spent over $500 trying to make my PC quieter. Got a new expensive beQuiet case. Changed the power supply because at first i heard some random clicking noises from the power supply. then removed the stock fan on my CPU and had my local shop put in a liquid heatsink or whatever they call it. nothing helped. it was the damn GPU and it whines all the time, and i can always hear it over the loudest games. I suspect my PS5 will get much worse going forward because i dont remember my gpu being this bad a couple of years ago.

Loope

That's all.

I know that it is normal. That's why i said that i never had a GPU that didn't do it.In fact in the thread of the user that traded 4 PS5 or something, i said that it is not a malfunction. It's part of electronics, some make more noise others less but it's definetely not a malfunction like RROD or something.

You just find odd calling the guy a warrior, when he purchased the console after all.

You didn't hurt my feelings, don't worry, although i do like the gif.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Elon approves. 😜

That's pretty incredible. At least with the more distant shots...a lot of those looked real to me. Up close....still not QUITE there, but very close..

Maybe someone here is more of an expert? Here's my observations and questions:

With the older tech the skin looked a bit plastic and the hair wasn't quite there, but it was really the EYES that would draw my attention and scream 'fake!' They looked like cadaver eyes or something. Just dead with no life in them. The eyes are really good now and don't look like 'dead' eyes. BUT...STILL not quite there. I can't see any reason for it though. When I look at a still....they look real enough to pass as real...but in motion...no. So I'm wondering...does part of our brain register the subtle changes in pupil dilation as we look at people? So maybe it just 'feels' wrong because unconsciously I'm not processing that so it seems wrong to me overall? Really curious about this. If that is the reason or even part of it, it's also possible that just adding random dilation to the eyes wouldn't work as we probably have a sense of how that's SUPPOSED to look in people we're talking to? If anyone has any knowledge on this, please chime in.

The hair looks really good now. I think good enough to pass as real. Again, on the whole, these looked real to me a lot of the time, just not when they were zoomed directly on the faces. The skin is still just barely off...another one of those cases where I can't pin down what it is. Maybe it's just the movement of the skin due to muscles that still isn't being done perfectly?

The TEETH are the biggest thing, for me. They don't look right..again up close. From further back, it's fine. I'm not sure if it's just because they are too even and evenly spaced? Sometimes there appears to be TOO MUCH gap between teeth and it's all uniform so that definitely looks off.

The way this is going overall it looks to me that by next generation....5 to 10 years from now, this will probably be solved and these will 100% pass for real. We know that super high end CGI can already do it. Getting that on the PC/Console side will just take a bit more time. But I think we're DAMN close!

The EU fined Microsoft due to a "suspected abuse of dominant position".
Can you help me frame Microsoft as having a dominant position in the videogame world?

Did I say anything about MS being in a dominant position in the gaming market?

The EU Antitrust Commission focuses on two areas, "abuse of a dominant market position" and "anti-competitive practices". The former was relevant in the internet explorer case. The latter is relevant here, or rather could be if MS were to implement the acquisition in a way that violates EU rules.

They don't have a hard-on for MS lol.. Windows was a monopoly, MS was fined for activities related that in multiple countries... and in particular got in trouble for things like forcing OEMs to not install competing web browsers. They were then required to offer "browser choice" options upon installation in response...

They are nowhere near a monopoly in gaming; like not even close.. nobody is going to bat an eye at their Bethesda purchase.

Things like cell phone carriers buying out another carrier in the US? Sure.. because there are only a handful, and while they get scrutiny.. they generally are still allowed because competition is still strong. MS buying a publisher who was not really that large? Nah

You don't have to have a monopoly to fall afoul of EU anti-trust laws.

From the EU commission's own website:

"Article 101 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) prohibits agreements between companies which prevent, restrict or distort competition in the EU and which may affect trade between Member States (anti-competitive agreements). "

It can be easily argues that buying up whole games publishers to make all their games exclusive, thus starving competing platforms of content, falls well within the remit of the above.

MS buying Zenimax is unprecedented. No videogame console maker has ever bought a whole publisher before. Therefore, its not easy to say how a deal like this will be viewed by the legal entities that regulate these markets.

Anyone claiming a deal like this is cut and dry affair with no problems or restrictions is incredibly naïve.

This deal creates a precedent, in which, if not controlled properly by entities like the EU commission, there's nothing to stop rich companies like MS buying up all the AAA publishers, making the games exclusive and thus creating a monopoly through ostensibly anti-competitive action.

Regulators also often have a hand in the prevention of market monopolies, rather than the control of them after the fact.

------

Seems I really rustled some Xbot jimmies with that last one. Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom