• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garani

Would like some news on the Nvme drives that are supported.
What's the rush? I don't believe there are fast enough drive on the marchet to actually be used within the system, and if you need space for the PS4 games, get a cheapo external drive and offload stuff there.

Actually allowing to off-load to the external drive the PS5 unused apps would be more urgent at the moment.

LiquidRex

Samsung answered a forum on an Update for the PS5 which will happen in March, which relates to their TVs.
This taken from the forum...

“The error was localized and Sony is expected to release an update in March to make 4K 120 Hz HDR possible”, the translated (German) post from the community moderator reads. “Please keep the Playstation up to date with the latest software . The TV does not need a software update (but we recommend that you always keep the software up-to-date for reasons of stability and security). The TV doesn't have to be repaired either, so you don't need to contact support.”

I assume its from this. :unsure:

Last edited:

mejin

Lol

Those two fanboys are no insiders.

Switch Pro being between Series S and a PS5 because of AI upscaling is just more Nintendo fanboy wet dream.

How you gonna put that on a switch that has to be portable?

I had forgotten about the crazy Nintendo dudes.

Since Wii, Nintendo fanboys dream with a hardware machine that is not garbage.

But you just need to see their new ips since Wii Era and their overall software output...they don't need a strong hardware for what they develop.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The cycle is “pre-launch: dreams about a monster HW, post launch: explaining why having a monster HW would have not been important and we got something more interesting instead”... every launch and you can say something similar about the online service features/status.

Okamiden

But you just need to see their new ips since Wii Era and their overall software output...they don't need a strong hardware for what they develop.
2013 mid-tier level hardware (PS4) is strong machine for you?

Last edited:

IS XBOX SLOWLY BEING ABANDONED BY THE JAPANESE?

But Namco and Sega stand out starkly in particular because they are the exceptions that prove the rule. At this point it is becoming more and more clear that Xbox is beginning to lose the traction

"YES, BUT THESE JAPANESE COMPANIES DON'T COUNT, BECAUSE I WANT PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THAT'S TRUE. "
"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

mejin

2013 mid-tier level hardware (PS4) is strong machine for you?
I think if a PS4 portable like was possible to launch at affordable price Sony and MS would probably make it.

But if Nintendo can do it how much would you pay for a last gen experience in portable mode?

the games will come as long as MS pay for them. Otherwise there is no incentive, Xbox is redundant when PlayStation, Nintendo and PC are getting the games.

LiquidRex

1VmfIPT.jpg
GNctwsv.jpg

mansoor1980

nephew got an XSX and it has been either on or in some sort of rest mode for the last 4 days , he has the gamepass and is downloading and playing tons of games , i feel extremely jelly

Okamiden

I think if a PS4 portable like was possible to launch at affordable price Sony and MS would probably make it.

But if Nintendo can do it how much would you pay for a last gen experience in portable mode?

the games will come as long as MS pay for them. Otherwise there is no incentive, Xbox is redundant when PlayStation, Nintendo and PC are getting the games.
Why do you think this power will be inside handheld itself? What if it's just powerful dock, like in case with some of the modern laptops which use latest rtx cards as add-on and console itself will receive upgraded arm chip on latest nm process.

So there's a PS5 update planned in March that includes 4k 120fps for Samsung TVs, plus speculated other feature updates... Oh and

AMD maybe planning the FidelityFX Super Resolution launch in March.​

Let's just wait and see. 😜
A lot of things seem to be going on in March, I wonder if Sony will join the party as well.

Also I don't know if I should be hyped about FidelityFX, no way will it rival DLSS.

ToadMan

Why do you think this power will be inside handheld itself? What if it's just powerful dock, like in case with some of the modern laptops which use latest rtx cards as add-on and console itself will receive upgraded arm chip on latest nm process.

This was my “solution” for a hybrid portable/home console back before switch came out.

I’d be down to buy such a device.

The problem is I’d expect it to be nearer to $800. Maybe more.

Nintendo won’t make such a thing and a system like this for around $350 would be crap - it’d be a woefully underpowered home and portable console.

kyliethicc

Nintendo Switch games will never be natively rendered above 1080p. And they can't afford DLSS. The Tegra chip is way too small for tensor cores. All they're gonna do is upgrade the dock's HDMI port to 2.0 and say it supports 4K TVs.

Could it have some basic upres chip in the dock, just like 4K TVs have? Sure. But its not even necessary. Sending a 1080p native signal out to a 4K TV and having the TV upres it would work just as well and save Nintendo money. Nintendo are cheap. Expect bare minimum.

mitchman

Gold Member
Nintendo Switch games will never be natively rendered above 1080p. And they can't afford DLSS. The Tegra chip is way too small for tensor cores. All they're gonna do is upgrade the dock's HDMI port to 2.0 and say it supports 4K TVs.

Could it have some basic upres chip in the dock, just like 4K TVs have? Sure. But its not even necessary. Sending a 1080p native signal out to a 4K TV and having the TV upres it would work just as well and save Nintendo money. Nintendo are cheap. Expect bare minimum.
My Nvidia shield uses tegra and has "AI Upscaling". It looks really good on the 1080p sources I've seen it on.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This was my “solution” for a hybrid portable/home console back before switch came out.

I’d be down to buy such a device.

The problem is I’d expect it to be nearer to $800. Maybe more.

Nintendo won’t make such a thing and a system like this for around $350 would be crap - it’d be a woefully underpowered home and portable console.

Should we expect a stall when we reach 1nm? I can't see even that being easy. Of course, assuming we're not going to quantum computing any time soon. Of course carbon nanotubes are next. Higher clocks and more efficient power draw.

Last edited:
Should we expect a stall when we reach 1nm? I can't see even that being easy. Of course, assuming we're not going to quantum computing any time soon. Of course carbon nanotubes are next. Higher clocks and more efficient power draw.

Nope, we start stacking dies in a 3D area. Btw the current "nm" count is not a real metric of size of the gates, but a marketing terms to reflect the density of transistors in the chip.
At single digit nm distances the electron would actually skip the gate which would render the gate absolutely useless.

Long story short, 7nm is not really 7nm and in the future we're moving to chiplet designs rather than 1 gigantic chip with lots of transistors :)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Considering I have over 1,000 hours into RDR2 PER YEAR since launch alone, beat the snots out of the OG DS4 in Bloodborne where even the rubber started peeling on the left stick, no drifts, but retired it due to being too lazy to change the sticks, and have put thousands of hours into the UC4 DS4 slate blue one (no peels they fixed the coating and the controller still looks brand new), still no drift... then this can't be a stone cold consensus in their isolated test.

They probably will come up with a better design eventually just for the sake of how much this trends, but I still don't believe this is a RRoD type situation. Just more vocal in current year by a small subset impacted.
Yeah, I had over a 1000 hours in Destiny 1 and it broke my L3 button on three different controllers. The launch one. The one they sent as a replacement. And a brand new controller I bought after the replacement had the same issue (warranty on replacements is only 3 months). They had fixed the rubber peeling off issue that affected the launch controllers but pretty much nothing else. Played BLOPS 3 for close to 200 hours and got dark matter camo (Getting gold and diamond skins for every gun in the game) and didnt have any issues.

After I bought my pro, I had no controller issues. Played BF1 for almost 500 hours. Destiny 2 for close to 200. GoW for 200. MGS for 200. Warzone for over a month. No drifting issues. No R3 or L3 issues. I dont play my switch much, if at all, but tbh I dont even know what drifting looks like.

If drifting was just due to wear and tear, they wouldve fixed it by now. Or it wouldve affected PS4 controllers far more than PS5 controllers since the console literally just came out. How can it already have wear and tear 3 months in?

If I had to guess, either they still havent figured it out or its related to haptics somehow since both the switch and PS5 controller use them. I also dont understand the need for a class action lawsuit since we are all in the warranty period and should get it replaced for free.

Loxus

So there's a PS5 update planned in March that includes 4k 120fps for Samsung TVs, plus speculated other feature updates... Oh and

AMD maybe planning the FidelityFX Super Resolution launch in March.​

Let's just wait and see. 😜
So, does this mean in March we will finally get to shop hearing Riky bragging about VRR being only on XBSX?
So Excited Reaction GIF
Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

Edit:
PlayStation did say it was coming or people forgot?
PS5: The Ultimate FAQ
ZtQykZf.png

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah, I had over a 1000 hours in Destiny 1 and it broke my L3 button on three different controllers. The launch one. The one they sent as a replacement. And a brand new controller I bought after the replacement had the same issue (warranty on replacements is only 3 months). They had fixed the rubber peeling off issue that affected the launch controllers but pretty much nothing else. Played BLOPS 3 for close to 200 hours and got dark matter camo (Getting gold and diamond skins for every gun in the game) and didnt have any issues.

After I bought my pro, I had no controller issues. Played BF1 for almost 500 hours. Destiny 2 for close to 200. GoW for 200. MGS for 200. Warzone for over a month. No drifting issues. No R3 or L3 issues. I dont play my switch much, if at all, but tbh I dont even know what drifting looks like.

If drifting was just due to wear and tear, they wouldve fixed it by now. Or it wouldve affected PS4 controllers far more than PS5 controllers since the console literally just came out. How can it already have wear and tear 3 months in?

If I had to guess, either they still havent figured it out or its related to haptics somehow since both the switch and PS5 controller use them. I also dont understand the need for a class action lawsuit since we are all in the warranty period and should get it replaced for free.
The drifting is likely coming from the seal not being good enough between air and the haptics inside, so dust and such gets inside when it's being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom