• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Never seen a graphics analyst give the worse version of the game goty before.

The new version didn't exist in 2019...

edit: And I just checked Alex's original article.. he described it as "single diffuse" lighting.. aka a single bounce..

It was amazing for 2019.. you guys have such a hate hard-on for the guy.

Last edited:
LOL HAHA. This Metro comparison is hilarious. It shows just how inaccurate and straight up POOR the RT lighting was in the original. Apparently it only had one bounce RT lighting so the sunlights didnt illuminate the rest of the room correctly.

This is funny because Alex spent that entire year raving about how realistic that lighting was giving it his graphics GOTY, and droning about it on and on for two years, all the while completely missing the fact that it was entirely inaccurate all along.

2019 RT GI on the Left. 2021 RT FULL GI on the right.

fGzL44p.jpg

E0UmVSR.jpg

L0r9cEV.jpg

slap "ray-tracing" or "RTX" on anything and dudes like Alex go bananas.

"ray traced bananas" lol

ethomaz

Banned
LOL HAHA. This Metro comparison is hilarious. It shows just how inaccurate and straight up POOR the RT lighting was in the original. Apparently it only had one bounce RT lighting so the sunlights didnt illuminate the rest of the room correctly.

This is funny because Alex spent that entire year raving about how realistic that lighting was giving it his graphics GOTY, and droning about it on and on for two years, all the while completely missing the fact that it was entirely inaccurate all along.

2019 RT GI on the Left. 2021 RT FULL GI on the right.

fGzL44p.jpg

E0UmVSR.jpg

L0r9cEV.jpg

IMO I don't thing either side is accurate.
But the right one is definitively better.

Garani

This might be why Sony still hasn't unlocked the internal SSD bay. How many commercial NVME drives have 17GB/S speed? How much do those drives cost? Can a game be developed around a drive that could have varying specs? There was wisdom in sticking with a proprietary drive. One solution was ready day one the other solution is TBD. In real world usage how much of an advantage has it brought? Are we seeing the paper differences?

At this stage of the game this is the stuff that triggers me.

The PS5 SSD has a raw speed of 5.5GB/s. With compression it can reach 17GB/s. The compression benefit will be available on the external NVMe drive as well, but they must be able to perform at 7GB/s sustained raw speed.

Why does the PS5 SSD works at 5.5, while the NVMe must be able to reach the 7GB/s mark? Cerny told us during "Road to PS5": because the internal SSD has 12 lanes and is able to drive 6 priorities, but those benefits will not be available on the NVMe. For this reason (especially the 6 priorities) the NVMe must be able to perform faster than the internal drive.

Is this clear enough for you? This stuff has been known since last March, and console warring about it now just makes you look ignorant.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
slap "ray-tracing" or "RTX" on anything and dudes like Alex go bananas.

"ray traced bananas" lol
The crazy thing is that he hasnt learned anything. He literally just that this the BEST LIGHTING HES EVER WITNESSED IN A VIDEO GAME. Come the fuck on.

This was the part that was on screen when he says that.

3Lo6ZPi.jpg

Really? THIS is the best lighting ever in a video game, Mr. I review graphics for a living?

I dont even have to look at lighting for next gen games like Ratchet and Demon Souls to find better lighting than that. Several last gen games like RDR2, Spiderman and TLOU2 have better lighting. Hell, Death Stranding came out that year and had better lighting.

DzLEypPWkAA6y33

DzLFMTuX0AUzLqu

DNUo3TlWsAAWfXk

DISiSeBVwAA4dJQ

cm91qby.gif

This bizarre fascination PC gamers have with tech over actual visuals really dilutes what makes visuals great in the first place. Tech is only a means to an end, cinematography is way more important than what rendering technique you are using to light the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The crazy thing is that he hasnt learned anything. He literally just that this the BEST LIGHTING HES EVER WITNESSED IN A VIDEO GAME. Come the fuck on.

3Lo6ZPi.jpg

Really? THIS is the best lighting ever in a video game, Mr. I review graphics for a living?
If you told me that was a Dontnod game (in this shot), I'd believe you.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

Lately, you seem to be quite quiet, at least here. Maybe you have some thoughts about upcoming events. Summer is coming soon. Starts with several different announcements and events. How do you think Sony and Microsoft will perform? (I apologize in advance for any mistakes. English is not my native language)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I agree. TLOU2.....I really didn't like the game overall and will likely never play it again, but it WAS a technical masterpiece. I mean besides not introducing anything really new over TLOU1, the execution of the movement, AI...I can't recall seeing a single glitch or instance where something clipped thru a wall or corner. It was technically, I think, the best game I've ever played.

Now, if only they hadn't nuked all the characters with the lousy storytelling......and maybe added some new things versus how the original played.... :)
I actually thought the new additions to the combat system were easily the best thing about the game. If anything, the new melee system made Abby's sections a lot more bearable because I really fucking hated playing as her.

I also liked that they added a lot more setpieces this time around. I dont like that they gave all the best setpieces to Abby, but there is no doubt that the chase sequences, the hospital boss and those melee only encounters were the best part of her campaign. I am a huge fan of the combat in MGSV, and the melee+shooting combat system felt like a homage to it. And it doesnt work if their A.I and the motion matching tech wasnt so damn great.

If there is one thing I liked about the PS4 hardware, it was the gamble Cerny took with the VRAM. We might not have gotten amazing destruction and a lot of interactivity this gen, but I do think the gameplay overall benefitted from larger environments without losing that visual fidelity we had come to expect from linear games in the PS360 era. It's a lot more sandboxish than TLOU Part 1. Not a fan of how VRAM hasnt increased that much this gen, but I am hoping the SSD read/write speeds mitigate that somewhat.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Lately, you seem to be quite quiet, at least here. Maybe you have some thoughts about upcoming events. Summer is coming soon. Starts with several different announcements and events. How do you think Sony and Microsoft will perform? (I apologize in advance for any mistakes. English is not my native language)

I am a Sony guy let me start with that.

I think Xbox is doing a lot of things right and I think GamePass is about to get some nice upcoming titles thats going to surprise people

Dolodolo

I am a Sony guy let me start with that.

I think Xbox is doing a lot of things right and I think GamePass is about to get some nice upcoming titles thats going to surprise people
I wonder if Microsoft will showcase a lot of gameplay at its show because last time there was CGI. And what do they even intend to do.
About Sony. They are so secretive. They don't even have special insiders. Although, it seems to me that Microsoft is deliberately leaking some of the information to keep it in the info field, there are no announcements yet

Pedro Motta

The tricky part about raytraced lighting, is that more often than not, realistic lighting does not look good in an image. If it was, Photographers, Directors of Photography, Fashion Photographers would all be out of business because anyone with a point and shoot would do better. Lighting has to be controlled to look good.
I for one am excited for this technology, and in some cases it looks really good here in Metro Exodus, but in many other cases it just simple looks worse and blander.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The tricky part about raytraced lighting, is that more often than not, realistic lighting does not look good in an image. If it was, Photographers, Directors of Photography, Fashion Photographers would all be out of business because anyone with a point and shoot would do better. Lighting has to be controlled to look good.
I for one am excited for this technology, and in some cases it looks really good here in Metro Exodus, but in many other cases it just simple looks worse and blander.
You make a good point. Even IRL your eyes focus the light differently that a camera or still-shot as well. So while RT is phenomenal, artists have to get creative in adjusting saturation and the like to replicate the retinal in person, more so a point and click camera. Some of these RT situations in games look way too bright in an area, where it looks like you are looking through it from a camera's point of view, rather than in person with your eyes point of view.

Hence how they manipulate and adjust lighting in film to suck you in more, rather than being the idle observer constantly.

3Lo6ZPi.jpg

I dont even have to look at lighting for next gen games like Ratchet and Demon Souls to find better lighting than that. Several last gen games like RDR2, Spiderman and TLOU2 have better lighting. Hell, Death Stranding came out that year and had better lighting.

DzLEypPWkAA6y33

DzLFMTuX0AUzLqu

DNUo3TlWsAAWfXk

DISiSeBVwAA4dJQ

cm91qby.gif

This bizarre fascination PC gamers have with tech over actual visuals really dilutes what makes visuals great in the first place. Tech is only a means to an end, cinematography is way more important than what rendering technique you are using to light the game.
Well said.

There is a difference between fixed and dynamic lighting, just saying

Ironically, this is precisely the issue SlimySnake SlimySnake is arguing.

That dynamic lighting is more computationally expensive is irrelevant. If you can achieve a superior end result with pre-computed light probes + SSAO + SSS + the number of other quick lighting hacks, then what does it matter how the lighting was achieved?

The problem with the way folks in the tech press have covered RT (people like Alex at DF), is that they've lost sight of the end result because of their extreme hard-on for a very specific means of getting to that end result. The goal of rendering technology is ALWAYS the end result, so losing sight of that undermines any perspective you seek to share.

Most if not all RT implementations in real games thus far have been aesthetically worse overall than the very best non-RT'd games; with the exception of limited RT-effects like RT-reflections used in games like Miles Morales.

And anyone with half a brain should have expected this because both RT and non-RT lighting is always a trade-off between accuracy and performance; however, because RT includes a step-change difference in performance vs non-RT lighting, full RT in games will require significantly more performance than the current hardware can deliver, for the same accuracy results as RT lighting (with few exceptions).

As such, the biggest benefits of current RT are in limited areas where the non-RT equivalents are also very expensive (e.g. reflections), as well as on the production side of creating and iterating on videogame assets.

You couldn't be more right, my friend.

I've often taken real-life photos that look worse and less "realistic" than tightly controlled computer rendered scenes.

Given that I used to live in the UK with its shitty perpetually overcast skies, this was actually a very common occurrence.

Pedro Motta

You couldn't be more right, my friend.

I've often taken real-life photos that look worse and less "realistic" than tightly controlled computer rendered scenes.

Given that I used to live in the UK with its shitty perpetually overcast skies, this was actually a very common occurrence.
And I know this for a fact, I have a Masters Degree in Film, specialization in DIrection of Photography, and I'm a VFX Supervisor working with CG lighting for a looong time. Everytime we try to simulate lighting as it should be in reality that's when the images look bland and plain ugly. Even in the same set, we change lighting for almost every shot even if it doesn't make sense (realistically) but it just looks way better, people waching the sequence don't even get the light changes with every shot.

reksveks

Well said.

Ironically, this is precisely the issue SlimySnake SlimySnake is arguing.

That dynamic lighting is more computationally expensive is irrelevant. If you can achieve a superior end result with pre-computed light probes + SSAO + SSS + the number of other quick lighting hacks, then what does it matter how the lighting was achieved?

The problem with the way folks in the tech press have covered RT (people like Alex at DF), is that they've lost sight of the end result because of their extreme hard-on for a very specific means of getting to that end result. The goal of rendering technology is ALWAYS the end result, so losing sight of that undermines any perspective you seek to share.

Most if not all RT implementations in real games thus far have been aesthetically worse overall than the very best non-RT'd games; with the exception of limited RT-effects like RT-reflections used in games like Miles Morales.

And anyone with half a brain should have expected this because both RT and non-RT lighting is always a trade-off between accuracy and performance; however, because RT includes a step-change difference in performance vs non-RT lighting, full RT in games will require significantly more performance than the current hardware can deliver, for the same accuracy results as RT lighting (with few exceptions).

As such, the biggest benefits of current RT are in limited areas where the non-RT equivalents are also very expensive (e.g. reflections), as well as on the production side of creating and iterating on videogame assets.
It is all about preferences, personally I rather have a world that is dynamic so if a light source moves or something changes then the world actually reflects that, i think that makes the world feel more vibrant/alive to me. I think it's different strokes for different folks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And I know this for a fact, I have a Masters Degree in Film, specialization in DIrection of Photography, and I'm a VFX Supervisor working with CG lighting for a looong time. Everytime we try to simulate lighting as it should be in reality that's when the images look bland and plain ugly. Even in the same set, we change lighting for almost every shot even if it doesn't make sense (realistically) but it just looks way better, people waching the sequence don't even get the light changes with every shot.
Entertainment doesn't have to equate to realism.

It's like acting. Over the top compared to real life. The most realistic acting on screen isn't even acting. It's documentaries with a real person talking on a secret camera about stuff and it's a total 180 vs. what you see in TV shows and hollywood movies.

Theatre is the worst. Anyone out there should hit up a live performance at some time in their life. The people on stage talk to the crowd so loud an emotionally you'd think they are on suicide watch.

Pedro Motta

Entertainment doesn't have to equate to realism.

It's like acting. Over the top compared to real life. The most realistic acting on screen isn't even acting. It's documentaries with a real person talking on a secret camera about stuff and it's a total 180 vs. what you see in TV shows and hollywood movies.

Theatre is the worst. Anyone out there should hit up a live performance at some time in their life. The people on stage talk to the crowd so loud an emotionally you'd think they are on suicide watch.
And this is why....(I'll piss some poeple off with this), Metro Exodus with all the RT bells and whistles does not look as good as a Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank or Gears 5.

I'm looking forward to some insane games at 30fps this generation. I know it's coming, just a matter of time before all the juice is used up and the devs have to resort to 30fps again.

And this is why....(I'll piss some poeple off with this), Metro Exodus with all the RT bells and whistles does not look as good as a Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank or Gears 5.
Agreed. While it looks "good" for what it is, it just isn't crafted in the same way. Looks almost the same as the baked lighting in TLOU2. I couldn't care less if the lighting is baked or real time. If it looks good, it looks good.

It is all about preferences, personally I rather have a world that is dynamic so if a light source moves or something changes then the world actually reflects that, i think that makes the world feel more vibrant/alive to me. I think it's different strokes for different folks.

You're not really saying anything of meaningful relevance.

Using non-RT lighting doesn't preclude the lighting from being dynamic.

SVOGI is an example of dynamic non-RT lighting. RDR2's implementation of their Enlighten tech offers some of the best fully dynamic lighting in any game period, and there is no RT to be seen at all in that game.

Most soft shadowing techniques layered on-top of static GI in games is dynamic anyway.

GI is static in many games because the sun doesn't move all that quickly through the sky. So in many scenes in most games with a fixed time of day makes sense. Where it doesn't, dynamic non-RT GI is implemented.

So I'm not sure why you're trying to challenge an argument against RT with an argument about dynamic lighting. It's an orthogonal subject that applies to both RT and non-RT lighting.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Can a game be developed around a drive that could have varying specs?
This problem existed for consoles for 15 years now - and the answer is always the same. The game 'can' be developed for any drive specs, but when it goes into Cert - it'll be tested against the standard spec that the platform holder dictates. Amusingly no company actually bothered to vet 3rd Party drives in last decade - so users could (and did) plug any old drive and get worse-than stock performance if they chose poorly as well.

As for this gen - approved drive route Sony is taking this gen is just the more customer-friendly approach.
There's no way to spin overpriced proprietary storage as 'good' for anyone other than the corporation that sells it at a markup.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This problem existed for consoles for 15 years now - and the answer is always the same. The game 'can' be developed for any drive specs, but when it goes into Cert - it'll be tested against the standard spec that the platform holder dictates. Amusingly no company actually bothered to vet 3rd Party drives in last decade - so users could (and did) plug any old drive and get worse-than stock performance if they chose poorly as well.

As for this gen - approved drive route Sony is taking this gen is just the more customer-friendly approach.
There's no way to spin overpriced proprietary storage as 'good' for anyone other than the corporation that sells it at a markup.
Insomniac also mentioned it in their Spider-Man GDC talk. They had to take into account the lowest common denominator for their streaming engine with 3rd party HDDs, so they capped the MB/s much lower than factory spec due to this. Said the game could have looked and performed even better, but unfortunately that was the nature of the swappable HDD beast.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is the reason why all the Phones takes photos more vibrant/vivid than real life... they change the colors to be more pleased to our eyes.

It is a funny experiment to be in a place and take a photo with iPhone and Galaxy to have way different results with better colors than the actual real life.

Last edited:
At this stage of the game this is the stuff that triggers me.

The PS5 SSD has a raw speed of 5.5GB/s. With compression it can reach 17GB/s. The compression benefit will be available on the external NVMe drive as well, but they must be able to perform at 7GB/s sustained raw speed.

Why does the PS5 SSD works at 5.5, while the NVMe must be able to reach the 7GB/s mark? Cerny told us during "Road to PS5": because the internal SSD has 12 lanes and is able to drive 6 priorities, but those benefits will not be available on the NVMe. For this reason (especially the 6 priorities) the NVMe must be able to perform faster than the internal drive.

Is this clear enough for you? This stuff has been known since last March, and console warring about it now just makes you look ignorant.
Sorry to trigger you man I can see you are quite passionate about the PlayStation and that's great! How about actually addressing my question? Why do YOU think this obvious solution that Mark Cerny talked about last March wasn't ready at PS5 launch? If the NVME drives are available for purchase why hasn't Sony activated the bay? MS was criticized for going with a proprietary drive. They were also laughed at for having a SSD solution that wasn't nearly as fast as Sony's. Cool. MS' solution was ready day 1. It also just works keeping with the spirit of how traditional console gaming as always been. Sony's solution is TBD.

In addition is the PS5 drive solution on multiplatform titles getting the performance the numbers on paper indicate? People again attacked MS for it's 2 TF advantage on paper yet outside of a few games we haven't really seen that advantage. The PS5 drive is twice as fast, as opposed to the two GPU solutions, yet I haven't seen that performance advantage in like for like examples. It is only a question.

Ignorance is taking a legitimate question and turning it into some sort of personal attack because it wasn't praise of your favorite platform. I like the PlayStation too. I've purchased every one launch day since 1995. It is ok to question their choices.

reksveks

You're not really saying anything of meaningful relevance.

Using non-RT lighting doesn't preclude the lighting from being dynamic.

SVOGI is an example of dynamic non-RT lighting. RDR2's implementation of their Enlighten tech offers some of the best fully dynamic lighting in any game period, and there is no RT to be seen at all in that game.

Most soft shadowing techniques layered on-top of static GI in games is dynamic anyway.

GI is static in many games because the sun doesn't move all that quickly through the sky. So in many scenes in most games with a fixed time of day makes sense. Where it doesn't, dynamic non-RT GI is implemented.

So I'm not sure why you're trying to challenge an argument against RT with an argument about dynamic lighting. It's an orthogonal subject that applies to both RT and non-RT lighting.
Maybe dynamic was the wrong word in terms of what implies but I meant dynamic in the same sense as in minecraft rtx, you can create a camera obscura. Also all of these dynamic lights are very very good assumption and tricks to make realistic behaviour but they do unfortunately break down too often.

Garani

Sorry to trigger you man I can see you are quite passionate about the PlayStation and that's great! How about actually addressing my question? Why do YOU think this obvious solution that Mark Cerny talked about last March wasn't ready at PS5 launch? If the NVME drives are available for purchase why hasn't Sony activated the bay? MS was criticized for going with a proprietary drive. They were also laughed at for having a SSD solution that wasn't nearly as fast as Sony's. Cool. MS' solution was ready day 1. It also just works keeping with the spirit of how traditional console gaming as always been. Sony's solution is TBD.

In addition is the PS5 drive solution on multiplatform titles getting the performance the numbers on paper indicate? People again attacked MS for it's 2 TF advantage on paper yet outside of a few games we haven't really seen that advantage. The PS5 drive is twice as fast, as opposed to the two GPU solutions, yet I haven't seen that performance advantage in like for like examples. It is only a question.

Ignorance is taking a legitimate question and turning it into some sort of personal attack because it wasn't praise of your favorite platform. I like the PlayStation too. I've purchased every one launch day since 1995. It is ok to question their choices.
Man, I just spelled it out for you, what else should I write?

Of course I don't know the actual reason WHY Sony hasn't activated the M.2 interface, and honestly I don't give a damn: the 850MB are plenty and I am using my external drive for my PS4 games + cold-storing any PS5 game that I am not playing.

Oh for fuck sake

You just couldn't keep the gaymer shtick could you? Now they know you're an xbot and that i'm a sony pony

We can't pretend to be neutral anymore

I hope you're happy with your self

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
The tricky part about raytraced lighting, is that more often than not, realistic lighting does not look good in an image.
You don't have to push for realistic lighting with RT lighting. It can be every bit as unrealistic as you want to make it. RT lighting isn't just about placing lights, it's about computing paths of photons bouncing around in a scene. You can alter that any way you want.

What case does it look worse than without it? Name a game that shows this.

Elog

So there are two differences between the systems: Peak bandwidth and latency. And there are two different tasks that give benefits: Load times and asset streaming.

When loading a pre-determined amount of data into RAM such as an executable, the CPU fairly quickly also becomes a bottle-neck. This type of task is what we have seen like for like in third party titles so far and as expected there is a small but not really meaningful advantage to the PS5 (in non-BC multi-plats).

The key difference though is in asset streaming and there has been no third-party multiple title shown yet that is doing this. It requires a complete revamp of engines etc such as what UE5 is doing. I expect either the next iteration of Frostbite, the first UE5 multiplat or potentially the next CoD to be the first like for like to show this. Assuming that they actually push the systems here, the PS5 should show a meaningful advantage due to the lower latency and higher peak bandwidth. The lower latency comes from the dedicated hardware path, low level APIs to handle this as well as a revamped file system tailored for the task.

it is clear that Sony underestimated the hardware requirements on the external M2 drive if it is to function just as the internal drive. I bet that they are not getting the required performance from it and are pondering what to do.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Oh for fuck sake

You just couldn't keep the gaymer shtick could you? Now they know you're an xbot and that i'm a sony pony

We can't pretend to be neutral anymore

I hope you're happy with your self

Hold on a second, are you saying that DarkMage619 DarkMage619 is not an honest straight-down-the-middle type of dude and that he somehow pretends to like PlayStation.

I would never have guessed. :messenger_grinning:

I got your back Darkmage, don't let this windbag take the piss out of you. "lollipop_disappointed:

Dammit, I better add something technical before I get banned, err infinity fabric err Help me geordiemp geordiemp .

Peace

fish Rule

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom