• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I’m still not following. What if the PS5 loads things faster on average compared to the XSX?

Yea, you misunderstand.

If the PS5 SSD is 50% faster let's say. But the XSX has a faster GPU (ignore TFLOP). If you run the same application (i.e. a multiplatform test) and the PS5 turns out to be only 10% slower at rendering a frame, then the PS5's GPU would be the bottleneck as to why it's not equal or faster than the XSX. I'm simplifying this of course, because I have no idea about clock speeds, API, drivers etc..

I feel left out 😕

You should, he's really getting into it now:

"Fix the with* i mean without knowledge
Second you are a fucking troll
I dont care if you report me
YOu stay a idiot stupid fucking troll WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE
REPORT THIS ONE TOO MF"

Or my favorite:

"Report your mom too for giving birth to trolls"

For what it's worth. My contribution to the conversation has been, "who are you and what are you referring to" and "reported".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yea, you misunderstand.

If the PS5 SSD is 50% faster let's say. But the XSX has a faster GPU (ignore TFLOP). If you run the same application (i.e. a multiplatform test) and the PS5 turns out to be only 10% slower at rendering a frame, then the PS5's GPU would be the bottleneck as to why it's not equal or faster than the XSX. I'm simplifying this of course, because I have no idea about clock speeds, API, drivers etc..

I don’t think that’s going to be the case, they can control what they load into the GPU.

That’s like saying you’re going to have an issue throwing an SSD into the PS4Pro for a multiplat game that’s also on the X1X.

The end result usually results in faster load times. Frame is not impacted.

You should, he's really getting into it now:

"Fix the with* i mean without knowledge
Second you are a fucking troll
I dont care if you report me
YOu stay a idiot stupid fucking troll WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE
REPORT THIS ONE TOO MF"

Or my favorite:

"Report your mom too for giving birth to trolls"

For what it's worth. My contribution to the conversation has been, "who are you and what are you referring to" and "reported".

???

VFXVeteran

Banned
I don’t think that’s going to be the case, they can control what they load into the GPU.

Then you slow down the reads on the SSD to make parity. It's the same thing. Your ceiling is only going to be as fast as your lowest performing part.

The end result usually results in faster load times. Frame is not impacted.

I'm not talking about loading a level into RAM per se. I'm talking about the SSD playing a major role at runtime (i.e. streaming a level).

You mean right after that Github "leak" happened and Sony Tweeted:

Other people already pointed out this was part of an ongoing event being promoted through their Twitter, not referenced to PS5 or that Github leak.

If you're gonna pretend to be an insider, try harder Walt ;)

If the Ryzen 3000 based APU innately supports it, it wouldn't cost much extra to at least use a 4.0 capable controller, even if it's not as custom and fast as this "Broadband" SSD.

Almost 99% sure both of them'll use PCIe 4.0; AMD has that standardized for their Zen 2 CPUs, and both systems are using Zen 2 processors. Either one using PCIe 3.0 would be more work on AMD's part to put in an older spec for no sensible reason.

That said I can see one being faster than the other in terms of SSDs and almost all the other leaks have said that's PS5. But the only numbers I recall seeing of PS5's SSD speed (this was like, what, a month or so ago) was nowhere near 5 GB/s read (fastest read speed of any SSD currently on the market).

So, uh...I'm still wondering about that part xD.

Last edited:
Then you slow down the reads on the SSD to make parity. It's the same thing. Your ceiling is only going to be as fast as your lowest performing part.

I'm not talking about loading a level into RAM per se. I'm talking about the SSD playing a major role at runtime (i.e. streaming a level).

Do you see a situation where PS5 exclusive titles can use the SSD in a different way? Or is it fundamentally going to be the same as Series X.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

One may perform with less pop in then the other, we don’t know without specs. Also, “parity” is nothing new at the start of a gen. All third party tiptoed that line early on (some caught flak some didn’t). First party is where the systems really shine on average in exploiting more performance deltas.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Do you see a situation where PS5 exclusive titles can use the SSD in a different way? Or is it fundamentally going to be the same as Series X.

Good question. I have no idea. Since there are going to be PS games exclusive only to PC/PS, it's going to be hard predicting what they will do. They might just keep the enormous speed advantage for loading levels but keep the streaming reads in parity. That's just a guess.

Kdad

Dim is sending me private messages for some reason. Apparently I'm a fanboy with no knowledge. I guess that's half true?
Well I can see why...dim is precise in his parsing of words...

What is half true?

That you're a fan...that you're a boy...that you have knowledge....

Be clear...stop talking in riddles like Cerny

*I'm taking the piss obvs

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Saw this on reddit.
Looks to be the full image of one of the previous that were posted earlier.
k83gf3xok1941.jpg

I wonder what the white controller is used for, Xbox/Nintendo given the stick placement.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Saw this on reddit.
Looks to be the full image of one of the previous that were posted earlier.
k83gf3xok1941.jpg

I wonder what the white controller is used for, Xbox/Nintendo given the stick placement.

With all these phenomenal phones out there that can take a picture of a rat’s asshole at 300 yards, why are they always blurry potato cams with these photos?

Last edited:

johnjohn

Can Jay-Rod please be vetted by the mods. I can't take it anymore that potential insiders claiming they know stuff.

So apparently Sony revealing stuff tomorrow regarding PS5.

Mods. Vet this guy please. For my heart, for the community's sake.
He hasn't even said that though. All he has said is that at some point in the future Sony is going to reveal the PS5 specs, which is kind of useless info.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mlb the show 2021 baby. Testing on PC/PS5/Xbox Series X

I can tell you right now that’s not a Sony San Diego.

With that said, I can only imagine how that game is going to look next-gen. The lighting is going to be sick, and can’t wait for the cloth physics.

Last edited:
Well I can see why...dim is precise in his parsing of words...

What is half true?

That you're a fan...that you're a boy...that you have knowledge....

Be clear...stop talking in riddles like Cerny

*I'm taking the piss obvs

Good news. I'm not the fanboy with no knowledge. Apparently it's Demigod? I'll stop derailing now.

LordOfChaos

That said I can see one being faster than the other in terms of SSDs and almost all the other leaks have said that's PS5. But the only numbers I recall seeing of PS5's SSD speed (this was like, what, a month or so ago) was nowhere near 5 GB/s read (fastest read speed of any SSD currently on the market).

So, uh...I'm still wondering about that part xD.

What numbers? Were these back calculated from the Spiderman demo? Real world transfers with batches of mixed file sizes never hit the peak sequential numbers that drives advertise, such that something like a 3GB/s SSD might be pulling 500MB/s in game copy tests (see any modern Notebookcheck review)

Also Papa Cerny had said that before Threadripper 3K and Epyc Rome were out, so just by virtue of being 4.0 it was faster than any PC on the market at the time already, plus any customization from the interesting patents we've seen.

demigod

He hasn't even said that though. All he has said is that at some point in the future Sony is going to reveal the PS5 specs, which is kind of useless info.

No, he clearly responded that Sony is revealing some specs at CES.

Dargor

With all these phenomenal phones out there that can take a picture of a rat’s asshole at 300 yards, why are they always blurry potato cams with these photos?

Maybe that console is in a room/area where no phones/cameras are allowed in? So the guy has to hide a small phone/camera that doesnt have as much quality? Though that too wouldn't make much sense since there are small cameras with good image quality available, if our would be spy would be willing to go out of his way to get one.

johnjohn

He hasn't said when, only that they're prepping for a big reveal. He's been asked to clarify when multiple times but hasn't. And he just implied that it'll be a Wired article which could be any time.

Last edited:

Kdad

Maybe that console is in a room/area where no phones/cameras are allowed in? So the guy has to hide a small phone/camera that doesnt have as much quality? Though that too wouldn't make much sense since there are small cameras with good image quality available, if our would be spy would be willing to go out of his way to get one.
It's Cerny with a pixel 4 and some shitty filter effect added. Probably.

demigod

He hasn't said when, only that they're prepping for a big reveal. He's been asked to clarify when multiple times but hasn't. And he just implied that it'll be a Wired article which could be any time.

Yes he did, he is clearly talking about CES.

Last edited:
What numbers? Were these back calculated from the Spiderman demo? Real world transfers with batches of mixed file sizes never hit the peak sequential numbers that drives advertise, such that something like a 3GB/s SSD might be pulling 500MB/s in game copy tests (see any modern Notebookcheck review)

Also Papa Cerny had said that before Threadripper 3K and Epyc Rome were out, so just by virtue of being 4.0 it was faster than any PC on the market at the time already, plus any customization from the interesting patents we've seen.

Admittedly it was numbers from one of the leaks from the past month (maybe two weeks), but couldn't tell you which one off the top of my head. Something around 4-4.5 GB/s PS5 and 2 GB/s XSX (the latter based on MS's "40x faster than XBO's HDD" claim).

But no, even when Cerny said that, there was a Gigabyte SSD drive on the market with read speeds rated around 5 GB/s. So if the 4-4.5 GB/s speed holds out to being true, then technically speaking it isn't faster than everything else on the market....

Just by a hair, mind, but if even one example exists, then it technically counts. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, he didn't. When explicitly asked if they would reveal specs in CES he said there will be one more story in wired and that's all he knows. So, no, he didn't say they would reveal anything at CES.

The PS5 SSD is faster and that's NOT within 10%.

Guessing.
JESUS.

If the consoles are within 10% of each other (with slight edge going to Xbox One X in terms of raw power) and the PS5 SSD being substantially faster than Series X then Sony will be cleaning up with the PS5.
That's really if raw power is so close, its indistinguishable in real world scenarios. The SSD then is the key differentiator and would line up the top secrecy surrounding the SSD in the PS5 from Sony.

The PS5 reveal is potentially going to be wild.

Just try to relax. I have a feeling we’re gonna be getting more and more ppl coming out claiming to know stuff, fake or otherwise in the days and weeks ahead.

Some to troll, others to try and make a name for themselves. Sony knows they have to share something eventually, they can’t wait forever. They’ll show it. Just wait till then.
Sorry mate. Was just kidding. I really didn't intend to come across as aggressive. It was just all jokes. All in good fun

LordOfChaos

But no, even when Cerny said that, there was a Gigabyte SSD drive on the market with read speeds rated around 5 GB/s. So if the 4-4.5 GB/s speed holds out to being true, then technically speaking it isn't faster than everything else on the market....

Just by a hair, mind, but if even one example exists, then it technically counts. That's all I'm saying.

Hm I see. I find the numbers believable enough, but if a PCI-e 4.0 drive existed but no PC could actually use the speed at the time, it could be argued for giving it to Cerny on a technicality that it's faster than any PC drive working in a PC at the time of the original Wired interview. A faster interface and theoretical transfer that isn't used isn't powering a faster PC at the time of the writing.

From my memory, those drives were also announced but also not shipping in mass at that point, but I won't argue the point.

Like I always like to remind people too, max sequential transfer rates of SSDs took all the air out of the room and have simplified things like Gflops have, but there's more to them. How does the drive do on a batch of mixed file sizes, how much does performance tank on unpredictable random access, etc etc. Maybe "faster" never meant a peak theoretical speed either, the patents about controller SRAM for table lookup and the possibility of software defined storage are things that maximize IOPS, not necessarily moving one massive file at peak speed.

Last edited:

johnjohn

I will tell you it has a slight power edge over the PS5 but I don't want another follow :)
Interesting. If this is true MS can go with "The Most Powerful Console" marketing after all, and if they're close it means they're most likely the same price, which opens the door for a much cheaper Lockhart.

Bryank75

Banned
Interesting. If this is true MS can go with "The Most Powerful Console" marketing after all, and if they're close it means they're most likely the same price, which opens the door for a much cheaper Lockhart.
One can go with 'most powerful' and the other can claim 'fastest'.
Both strong marketing positions I think....

Reactions: TLZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom