• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenris Wolf

Don't know if it's been asked but is the idea of Lockhart model for Xbox scarlett scrapped? Is Microsoft going to focus only on one hardware?

Ar¢tos

If I've learned anything from here...

...wait for E3!!! They're really going to show what they are up about! You all non-believers will be converted!

...oh wait, not this E3. The next E3! You'll see what's up then!
Probably earlier, maybe February or March. E3 is for price and release date announcements.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm starting to see a pattern now, similar to pre launch of last gen 🤣

The situation: (Rumors hinting at Sony machine is more powerful than Microsoft's)

2013:
  • Xbox has "move engins" ,
  • Esram+DDR3 Ram total bandwidth is fast !
  • "We created DirectX"
  • Xbox has secret dGpu in the powerbank 🤣
  • "Black crush is BEST"
  • Xbox One is more BALANCED!
  • Its all about OS (funny because Xbox was lagging and crawling to do simplest tasks 🤣)
  • DAT ecosystem ...
2019:
  • Xbox has Zen3
  • RDNA? Fuck that Xbox uses next next gen RDNA2
  • AMD had more giggling with MS!
  • You can swap GPUs for more power !🤣

Rest of the excuses are coming as more specs are unveiled.

You forgot something, hint -> ☁

In all seriousness, the console warz are over. I expect both machines to be very similar in overall power, with some small custom designs for each. People need to dampen their expectations though with new hardware.

Fenris Wolf

On the other hand for Sony my bet is on a PSX later this year or a PS Meeting in Q1 2020.
If i'm not mistaking, 2019 is PlayStation's 25th anniversary. So it wouldn't be that great to miss such opportunity to reveal your next gen hardware + games.
But yeah, even if Sony decides to showcase their console at one of those said events, Then the final release date and price will be revealed during E3.

Farrell55

Banned
Smartphones take huge profit margins dont they?
Im curious why cant just they make the casing more apropiate to accomodate proper cooling?
Two or Three fans and a big heatsink would be enough to silently cool a 300W console.

Woulnt even need to be that much bigger.
I dont think sony has the manpower to handle that (300w cooling system)

luca_29_bg

https://www.tomshw.de/2019/06/14/le...entmystifiziert-und-nachgerechnet-igorslab/3/

Interesting if true!

siRzncEl.png

chigstoke

Thats not gonna happen!

Btw Can we expect from Scarletts second gen Rdna2 another 1.25% ipc improvement? What do you think guys?
You're as a mad as a march hare.

Scarlett has NAVI using RDNA arch, just like PS5. There isn't going to be any secret RDNA2 on the Xbox side. I'm as big as Xbox fan as you'll come across but its all hocus pocus, mate.

The difference between the PS5 and Scarlett will no doubt be minimal at most, probably clock speeds.

Anyone thinking otherwise needs their head seriously examining. Zen 3 talk was silly enough, RDNA2... Its all a load of testicles.

Scarlett has NAVI using RDNA arch, just like PS5. There isn't going to be any secret RDNA2 on the Xbox side. I'm as big as Xbox fan as you'll come across but its all hocus pocus, mate.

The difference between the PS5 and Scarlett will no doubt be minimal at most, probably clock speeds.

Anyone thinking otherwise needs their head seriously examining. Zen 3 talk was silly enough, RDNA2... Its all a load of testicles.
All consoles usually come out the same anyway I think it's an industry standard that both ms and Sony have agreed upon so as to make life easier for developers n besides amd is probably cashing in on selling each consoles details to ms and Sony

Farrell55

Banned

AMD clearly says on e3 press conference

Ps5= custom Navi

Scarlett = co engineered next gen navi

As far as i remember

Also the next gen Navi roadmap fits perfect with scarlett

Alright I'm calling it ssd gddr6, 8k, 120 FPS xbox, x360, xbone, xbone X, + Scarlett bkwards compatibility = 700$+ this console won't be cheap guys let's just let this sink in.

Last edited:

chigstoke

AMD clearly says on e3 press conference

Ps5= custom Navi

Scarlett = co engineered next gen navi

As far as i remember

Also the next gen Navi roadmap fits perfect with scarlett
The wording doesn't mean what you think it means here.

It's Navi. MS's PR isn't going to be the same as Sony's. Remember that people are influenced by wording and phrases. 8K, 120 FPS. It's marketing 101. Those without the understanding of those two things just being HDMI 2.1 spec will look and go - 'F**k me, 8K and 120 FPS on the next PS5/Scarlett? Count me in!'

PS5 and Scarlett's hardware will both have been co-engineered. And if we want consoles at the top line max of 499, MS sure as shit aren't going to have the non-existent Navi 2 in the system. There is only one Navi.

It's fantasy to think otherwise. Navi IS next-gen. That's the point, it's the next gen AMD architecture and it's it's going to be in the NEXT GEN consoles.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Little bit too loud but overall not bad! But dont forget the ps4 soc was only 100-120w peak with l 150w for the whole system
PS3 launched with 200W at load(with a 380W PSU) - higher than 1X, and arguably had a pretty good noise management (better than launch PS4 anyway).

Farrell55

Banned
Alright I'm calling it ssd gddr6, 8k, 120 FPS xbox, x360, xbone, xbone X, + Scarlett bkwards compatibility = 700$+ this console won't be cheap guys let's just let this sink in.
Maybe the BOM will be 700$ but they wont it sell over 500$! They can handle a 200 dollar loss for a short Periode

Farrell55

Banned
PS3 launched with 200W at load(with a 380W PSU) - higher than 1X, and arguably had a pretty good noise management (better than launch PS4 anyway).
Yeah you are 100% right! But... at what costs.... they loss almost 300$ per Unit sold the concern was shortly before bankrupt! Ms on the other side has huge financial reserve and also much more capital for R&D in General

Not sure where you got that from, but I'm pretty sure their gaming revenue stream is solid.
They might have made money in services but certainly not on selling consoles and I'm sure the console makers aren't going to sit down and see phone companies take all the profits with 1000$ phones while they pick up the scraps

FranXico

They might have made money in services but certainly not on selling consoles and I'm sure the console makers aren't going to sit down and see phone companies take all the profits with 1000$ phones while they pick up the scraps
The thing is, console business has been like a printer business for a long time. Lose money on the console if you have to, make your profit on software and services.

The thing is, console business has been like a printer business for a long time. Lose money on the console if you have to, make your profit on software and services.
I don't think that business strategy will hold up for long I'm sure selling a ps5 or Scarlett for 700$ is still a loss n that's not counting in the us China trade war n even worse for poor Microsoft more n more people are fancying playstation, I think we as consumers have to be ready to accept 700$ times have changed.

Farrell55

Banned
They dont have to be make money on sold consoles

They get all publisher has to pay license (Royal fee) for every Single game they sold

It range between 15-20% as far is i know

For example EA sold more than 10+ Million copys of fifa 18

60$ 20% = 12$ per sold copy becomes the platform Holder!

From 10 Million sold ea games sony gets 120 Million Dollar

Thats one game from on Publisher...

llien

Why do people fight over which next gen console will be faster?
At most we'll have something like 10-15% difference.
Clearly in "who cares" category.

In terms of features, however, there could be biggies.
Like only Microsoft having RT chiplet.

I'd still shrug it off, as Sony demonstrated realistic reflections even in PS4, with its weaker than 7870 card.

All the rumors of ps5 being 14+tf...

What does that mean?
Faster than Vega 56?
Faster than Vega 64? (that was what was originally implied by 14, given that Vega64 is 12.7)

Based on AMD's benchmarks in a set of games, 5700XT is about 15% faster than Vega64..
It only sports 9TFlops.
15% up from 5070XT is 2080.
30% up from 5070XT is 2080Ti.

14Tflop NAVI card (2080Ti+ area of performance) in consoles is science fiction.

Last edited:

Farrell55

Banned
What does that mean?
Faster than Vega 56?
Faster than Vega 64? (that was what was originally implied by 14, given that Vega64 is 12.7)

Based on AMD's benchmarks in a set of games, 5700XT is about 15% faster than Vega64..
It only sports 9TFlops.
15% up from 5070XT is 2080.
30% up from 5070XT is 2080Ti.

14Tflop NAVI card (2080Ti+ area of performance) in consoles is science fiction.
That is what i say but most people here are pro sony, and absolutely overestimate ps5 Power! That 14Tf dream will Not happen

llien

That 14Tf dream will Not happen
I think what most people say when they reference 14Tf is pre-5700 times, so it merely means "faster than Vega64".
I personally was sure Vega56-ish perf was max we'd get, but after 5700XT figures, expect at least Vega64+10%+.
FROM BOTH Sony and Microsoft.

But then again, it's "old 14Tf", not Navi 14Tf.

LordOfChaos

I'm starting to see a pattern now, similar to pre launch of last gen 🤣

The situation: (Rumors hinting at Sony machine is more powerful than Microsoft's)

2013:
  • Xbox has "move engins" ,
  • Esram+DDR3 Ram total bandwidth is fast !
  • "We created DirectX"
  • Xbox has secret dGpu in the powerbank 🤣
  • "Black crush is BEST"
  • Xbox One is more BALANCED!
  • Its all about OS (funny because Xbox was lagging and crawling to do simplest tasks 🤣)
  • DAT ecosystem ...
2019:
  • Xbox has Zen3
  • RDNA? Fuck that Xbox uses next next gen RDNA2
  • AMD had more giggling with MS!
  • You can swap GPUs for more power !🤣

Rest of the excuses are coming as more specs are unveiled.

Don't forget ol' Panello saying "Don't forget the clock speed bump applies to every shader" or something along those lines...As if that changed the math at all or was different than any GPU.

Last edited:

GustavoLT

I was wondering if current gen games like The Wircher 3, GTA V, RDR2.... will be patched for next gen... or will be forced a new version of these games!?

Farrell55

Banned
I was wondering if current gen games like The Wircher 3, GTA V, RDR2.... will be patched for next gen... or will be forced a new version of these games!?
On next gen playstation sure they need to be Patched and Expect only a low Number of titles will be compatible! Its highly likely NextBox will run all titles out of the Box!

Also be prepared sony will charged some money for the patches,

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Had to add someone to the ignore list, can't take the delusion anymore.

When people realize what kind of RT they are getting from 400-500$ consoles compared to what high end pc GPUs will do late 2020 they are gonna be SOOOO disappointed! There will be tears and meltdowns on GAF! It will be a glorious show!

All I want from next gen is 9-10tf+ for decent VR, with or without RT. Graphics are not the main thing that makes games fun.

FranXico

On next gen playstation sure they need to be Patched and Expect only a low Number of titles will be compatible! Its highly likely NextBox will run all titles out of the Box!

Fear! Uncertainty! Doubt!

PS suckzzzzzzz

Thedtrain

Had to add someone to the ignore list, can't take the delusion anymore.

When people realize what kind of RT they are getting from 400-500$ consoles compared to what high end pc GPUs will do late 2020 they are gonna be SOOOO disappointed! There will be tears and meltdowns on GAF! It will be a glorious show!

All I want from next gen is 9-10tf+ for decent VR, with or without RT. Graphics are not the main thing that makes games fun.
VR advancement is something I’ve very excited about.

As far as traditional gaming, I would like to see a quantum leap in AI this gen

LordOfChaos

Are you just trying to get a rise out of people, or were you unaware that full PS4 BC was already announced for PS5?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The wording doesn't mean what you think it means here.

It's Navi. MS's PR isn't going to be the same as Sony's. Remember that people are influenced by wording and phrases. 8K, 120 FPS. It's marketing 101. Those without the understanding of those two things just being HDMI 2.1 spec will look and go - 'F**k me, 8K and 120 FPS on the next PS5/Scarlett? Count me in!'

PS5 and Scarlett's hardware will both have been co-engineered. And if we want consoles at the top line max of 499, MS sure as shit aren't going to have the non-existent Navi 2 in the system. There is only one Navi.

It's fantasy to think otherwise. Navi IS next-gen. That's the point, it's the next gen AMD architecture and it's it's going to be in the NEXT GEN consoles.

Xfans need something to hold on again. Zen3, RDNA2, Co-engineered (OMG THOSE WORDS SAY SO MUCH MOREEEE), Sony colabiration (OMG WHAT'S THAT A PARTY TOGETHER? WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEAN...THEY JUST THREW MONEY AT AMD FOR MAKING SOMETHING BUT THEY DON'T CARE), Hardware RT (SONY HAS FAKE RT).

Are they more worried about Sony than Xbox?...looks like it. I'm starting to believe i'm reading the same shit from almost 5 years ago...

Last edited:

Norse

The scarlet dev kits are made for lockhart. The anaconda is just for us diehards. I think MS is shooting for a $100 cheaper than PS5 price at launch with Lockhart as cheaper gives them a better shot than more powerful.

Farrell55

Banned
Are you just trying to get a rise out of people, or were you unaware that full PS4 BC was already announced for PS5?
Full BC yes but you can Expect only a few titles will be compatible from the Start! Also they will find a way to charge money for that feature, where ms will provide it for free.

Ripping of the customers is there business model &philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom