• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

nib95

Banned
It's weird that in so many respects, GT is still comparable to some of these next gen racers lol. Hope Polyphony bring it with GT7, though I personally can't see it topping Driveclub graphically. I think it will have the issue that every sim racer currently does, which is amazing looking cars, lighting and effects, but slightly lacklustre looking environments. 60fps though, so it is what it is.

Driveclub looks nothing like these photomode pics being posted. In realtime there is quite a bit of aliasing. I was a bit disapointed when I played it for the first time, it looks great but nothing like photomode.

Sorry guys, I love DC, but the gameplay doesn't look like in the Photomode. It doesn't look so different though, when things are in movement. But the photomode adds a much better IQ and LOD increase. But it's still the best looking racing game out there until today, so...

The 15 shots posted above these two posts are all direct from gameplay…..

Javin98

Banned
It's weird that in so many respects, GT is still comparable to some of these next gen racers lol. Hope Polyphony bring it with GT7, though I personally can't see it topping Driveclub graphically. I think it will have the issue that every sim racer currently does, which is amazing looking cars, lighting and effects, but slightly lacklustre looking environments. 60fps though, so it is what it is.
I think Polyphony Digital still has a good chance of beating DC IF they drop the PS2 car models. But seriously, their PS2 games were insane. GT4 ran at 1080i on a PS2?! That's almost unbelievable if you ask me. Still, I hope PD actually has realistic expectations this time around, unlike last gen, where they tried to hit 1080p on the PS3. I have a feeling GT7 won't have real time GI like DC does, though.

Yiazmat

It definitely has elements that stand up well to other racers. Like its lighting engine and car modeling.
Yep, Kaz was right in saying that the premiums were future proofed. And we still haven't seen what their ps4 models look like.

pwyspeyy9amfsuvd.jpg

1gw5io9g_b8p9uqg.jpg

---

Also, isn't the F40 in Driveclub now? Can someone replicate this shot?

shandy706

There are some delusional people up in here, lol.

Anyway, watching things like track details, placement, etc...

ibrEBKaVGwdx2Z.jpg

You can really tell that Turn 10 has some accurate tracks. Even the tree placement is on point, as are the "angle" of how things appear. Because it's such a recognizable turn, I knew that tree that stands out on F5 was there in real life. It's absent in PCars. The vehicle/spectator placement and continuing tree line to the right is darn accurate too.

Heck, even in this case GT6 has the foliage and that tree right. I always consider that tree a sort of visual point on the track, lol. GT6 is completely missing all the life/tents/and crowded track day details though. The track is an empty shell compared to F5 or even PCars when it comes to that.

oops lol.

Yeah I agree, a lot of the tracks in GT do feel empty, not much going on in terms of atmosphere. It's something I'd like to see change with the PS4.

HTupolev

GT4 ran at 1080i on a PS2?! That's almost unbelievable if you ask me.
It's highly anamorphic with a low horizontal resolution. In terms of what the console has to do under the hood it's practically identical to 480p60 mode.

Such a mode is quite easy to support if you're targeting 480p60 anyway, most devs just didn't bother because 1080i wasn't a very popular format (it only ever made sense for HD CRTs, which didn't really take off).

oops lol.

Yeah I agree, a lot of the tracks in GT do feel empty, not much going on in terms of atmosphere. It's something I'd like to see change with the PS4.

I think that's definitely their goal. This was the initial Vision GT trailer when it was all using GT4 assets, but it's an indication of where they want to get into terms of race atmosphere

https://youtu.be/JUVjg3aW1XQ?t=72

And the trailer from 2009

https://youtu.be/oXtbXy5vO70?t=43

Just watching those again makes me excited about seeing GT7. PD cuts trailers like no one else.

magawolaz

I think that's definitely their goal. This was the initial Vision GT trailer when it was all using GT4 assets, but it's an indication of where they want to get into terms of race atmosphere

Just watching those again makes me excited about seeing GT7. PD cuts trailers like no one else.
Cool thing is, we already had a sneak peek at GT7 in some of those Vision GT trailers.

Volumetric clouds on Matterhorn (Alpine VGT trailer)
KBLE2N.gif

Thunders and Lightnings on Sierra (Infinity VGT trailer)
Tno0wuk.gif

Godrays, same as above
vNV9ca0.jpg

And maybe there's more. PD loves to tease

Cool thing is, we already had a sneak peek at GT7 in some of those Vision GT trailers.

Volumetric clouds on Matterhorn (Alpine VGT trailer)
KBLE2N.gif

Thunders and Lightnings on Sierra (Infinity VGT trailer)
Tno0wuk.gif

Godrays, same as above
vNV9ca0.jpg

I wouldn't get your hopes up for having any of that soon. A new Seattle circuit was teased in one of those style trailers back in 2012 (although admittedly not Vision GT) and it still hasn't surfaced.

Conduit

Banned

So sad that cars sounds great in trailers, but not in game. :D

I read somewhere a year or two ago that we've already seen next-gen GT, but we do not know that.

The Cowboy

See this is what impresses me about Forza and Driveclub, not only are they great looking games, both the gameworlds feel alive - when you have a storm you have lightning hitting the road (think this is just Driveclub), trees moving in the wind and plants getting wet (again, not sure if this is just Driveclub) etc.

Maxing out Pcars on my PC just now and running a track full of trees with the thunderstorm going on and it just feels dead, everything is static and nothing moves - sure the rain looks nice (and i even think Driveclub is better with this to), but it just doesn't feel like its a thunderstorm.

I really do love the weather in Driveclub a lot (and all the other gameworld features, like birds flying past etc), it actually looks and feels like an actual living world your driving in, not just (really good looking) static racetracks (and Forza looks a very close 2nd in that regard to).

Shaneus

See this is what impresses me about Forza and Driveclub, not only are they great looking games, both the gameworlds feel alive - when you have a storm you have lightning hitting the road (think this is just Driveclub), trees moving in the wind and plants getting wet (again, not sure if this is just Driveclub) etc.
I can't speak for Horizon, but in DC I saw lightning actually hit something beside the road and send embers up in the air. It was fucking cool.

DD

I can't speak for Horizon, but in DC I saw lightning actually hit something beside the road and send embers up in the air. It was fucking cool.

Like this huge mothafocka hitting that post and every other shit ahead, destroying the f*ckin world in the mothafocka process.

JG24Ik.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
I wonder what middleware Evolution used or if it is in-house software. More developers should borrow their tech. Why hasn't there been a GDC talk or something on how they accomplished that level of weather in Driveclub?
wngvjt.gif

nib95

Banned
I wonder what middleware Evolution used or if it is in-house software. More developers should borrow their tech. Why hasn't there been a GDC talk or something on how they accomplished that level of weather in Driveclub?
wngvjt.gif

Love how the rain drops on the windscreen reflected the traffic lights up above. Not everyone realises or even notices, but each rain drop on the windscreen etc actually reflects everything around it in Driveclub. Examples.

DRIVECLUBtrade_20141208180232.jpeg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_2015032923501.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_2015031100015.jpg~original

Stillmatic

Love how the rain drops on the windscreen reflected the traffic lights up above. Not everyone realises or even notices, but each rain drop on the windscreen etc actually reflects everything around it in Driveclub. Examples.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y1...b/DRIVECLUBtrade_20141208180232.jpeg~original

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/DriveClub/DRIVECLUBtrade_2015032923501.jpg~original

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/DriveClub/DRIVECLUBtrade_2015031100015.jpg~original

Yeah it's great, they even reflect the fireworks at the end of night races.

Looking at those Gifs and photomode pics of GT5/6 there's that X factor that makes the game look so photorealistic and pretty unmatched!

Shaneus

Not sure why they skipped on reflecting fireworks on the track though. Same with lightning.
That baffles me as well. Even if they just did it for photo mode (which is where I picked up on it) I'd be happy, so I'm surprised they haven't. Maybe in a future update :)

HTupolev

Since it uses depth, SSR often doesn't play nicely with alpha; it seems like stuff like car windows might not be reflected either. I'd guess that the lightning is drawn in on an alpha layer after the main render pass is made.

Also, even if it were "standard" opaque geometry, it's possible that they wouldn't want to try to reflect it via SSR. Driveclub's SSR method does NOT play nicely with long/spindly geometry, it gets nervous when there's near geometry above farther-back stuff.

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
There are some delusional people up in here, lol.

Anyway, watching things like track details, placement, etc...

ibrEBKaVGwdx2Z.jpg

You can really tell that Turn 10 has some accurate tracks. Even the tree placement is on point, as are the "angle" of how things appear. Because it's such a recognizable turn, I knew that tree that stands out on F5 was there in real life. It's absent in PCars. The vehicle/spectator placement and continuing tree line to the right is darn accurate too.

Heck, even in this case GT6 has the foliage and that tree right. I always consider that tree a sort of visual point on the track, lol. GT6 is completely missing all the life/tents/and crowded track day details though. The track is an empty shell compared to F5 or even PCars when it comes to that.

Actually, when you race during the 24hr Nurburging, the tents and crowds are there.

HTupolev

Those are rough surfaces. If a surface is glossy enough to show a more or less perfect mirror image of a car (like some of the tarmac in the DC screenshots), you should expect a clean reflection of the lightning.

It's fairly obvious that DC's lightning is treated as a point light, in terms of reflections. It definitely is not consistent with how many other "objects" are treated in DC's specular.

(Nor is it even the case that those reflections you posted look like the rougher examples from DC, as they don't have the elliptical highlight within the broader lobe.)

I don't know enough about SSR to say anything about it honestly. It just seems like a strange thing to ignore.

SSR only reflects whats in your field of view. Would look very strange for the fireworks because a considerable amount of it is out of your field of view and the reflections would be flawed.
*Crysis3.gif that shows disappearing reflections on water as you look around*

I think it would just be too expensive to have an accurate reflections of the fireworks.
At least they iluminate the scene and even car interior accurately.

dr guildo

Those are rough surfaces. If a surface is glossy enough to show a more or less perfect mirror image of a car (like some of the tarmac in the DC screenshots), you should expect a clean reflection of the lightning.

It's fairly obvious that DC's lightning is treated as a point light, in terms of reflections. It definitely is not consistent with how many other "objects" are treated in DC's specular.

(Nor is it even the case that those reflections you posted look like the rougher examples from DC, as they don't have the elliptical highlight within the broader lobe.)

url

url

HTupolev

SSR only reflects whats in your field of view.
That doesn't have anything to do with what's going on with DC's lightning.

Look:

CEyk6peUUAAAFS-.jpg:orig

Everything is in view, mountain has a clear reflection in the roadway, but the lightning around the mountain isn't present in the reflection besides as a point light.

Bottom image has a very rough surface, and frankly doesn't really agree or disagree with anything. Top image still has a fairly rough surface compared with what we're discussing, and it actually does show something that much better-approximates the shape of the lightning than DC's center pointlight lobes (for instance, to the right of the bright central lobe, you can see a reflection of a thin tendril, and the overall shape of the bright region on the road is more or less a vertical flipping of a major branch of the lightning, albeit with quite a bit of vertical "blurring").

HTupolev

Yeah, Driveclub doesn't use SSR afaik, at least not for the usuall reflections. I just explained why it wouldn't make much sense to use SSR for fireworks reflections.
DC uses tons of SSR, both on cars and on the environment. It's pretty high-res SSR as well, although the implementation looks somewhat tacky from a free camera. Racing cameras do a respectable job of making SSR suck a lot less than it does in first-person shooters.

//==============================

DC's specularity on most surfaces consists of two major contributions: SSR and dynamic lights.

The SSR is nice in that it can capture on-screen geometry, although for roughness it seems to use a more or less circular scatter, so SSR on roadways doesn't seem to have a realistic vertical stretching. Faced with splitting the difference in one way or another, the dev erred toward very mirror-like properties for SSR on very wet roads.

By contrast, specular from dynamic lights has a plausible vertical stretching toward the camera according to roadway roughness. So for things like lighting which don't take part in SSR but exist as pointlights, the game captures what would be a very correct-looking reflection if the object was actually a dot of light visible to the reflecting surface. As opposed to, say, a complex bolt of lightning behind a mountain:

:D

CEypMXDVIAA3UHF.jpg:orig

Where the dynamic lights system works really well is for stuff like car headlights.

Driveclub was the first next-gen game that blew my mind with its visual and attention to detail. I mean, it has a fucking mirage on hot roads. Who puts a mirage in a racing game?

DRIVECLUB20150410204.jpg

It also has multiple weather pattern on a same lap at the same time which I haven't seen in any racing game yet. One moment it sunny, the its cloudy, then a sprinkle of rain that only wets a part of circuit, then sunny again. Even saw a double rainbow the other day, it was over a lake and appeared when it started raining while the sun was still up. Then it disappeared in the next lap because it stopped raining. Some incredible stuff.

Top Bottom