• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Good morning you filthy animals.

image.php

Giants QB coach Danny Langsdorf moving on to Nebraska..

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 19s20 seconds ago
Giants QB coach Danny Langsdorf headed for a reunion with Mike Riley at Nebraska. He'll be OC there after one year working with Eli Manning.

Tom Brady getting a raise in his new contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/bradys-getting-a-raise-as-part-of-his-new-contract/

The initial story from ESPN regarding the new deal was far from done, as it turns out. In a mild case of ESPN-on-ESPN crime, the report from Adam Schefter of the new deal overlooked one fairly important term — Brady is getting a raise.

Per Mike Reiss of ESPN.com (via Deadspin), Brady’s base salaries increase under the new contract from $7 million, $8 million, and $9 million per year to $8 million, $9 million, and $10 million per year from 2015 through 2017.

The relatively small bump in base salaries gives Brady something in return for giving up the fully-guaranteed nature of the $24 million he was due to earn. In return for $3 million in money guaranteed for injury only, he’s accepting the risk that the Patriots will decide between now and September 2017 that he isn’t worth the money he’s due to make.

Meanwhile, it’s important to remember that the deal currently gives the Patriots not a penny of cap space. Instead, it frees up $24 million that would have been placed in escrow to fund the remainder of Brady’s base salaries.

If, however, the Patriots decide to cut Brady after 2015, they’ll now save $19 million in cash and cap space. If they decide to move on after 2016, they’ll save $10 million in cash and cap space. It seems unlikely that they’ll chose to do that; Brady’s base salaries for the next three years are a bargain in comparison to contracts given to lesser players.

Bummer about Langsdorf. Given everything about the team this year Eli had a pretty decent year.

Wonder if Ross does get hired since the Bears brought in Accorsi for help searching.

Finally graduated to the 1080p tv master race yesterday, brother and sister in law gave my girlfriend and I $500 as a Xmas/housewarming gift. Got a Samsung 46" LED from best buy, and I'll be spending the afternoon after work figuring out how to optimize it.

cajunator

Banned
Still in Opelousas but will be working in Lafayette starting next week.

Sweet.
My Aunt lives in Opelousas. Its kind of a crime hole. Not impressed with it at all.
She wants to come back to Lafayette so badly.
If you need any information about Lafayette, hit me up.

Malalaw

Sweet.
My Aunt lives in Opelousas. Its kind of a crime hole. Not impressed with it at all.
She wants to come back to Lafayette so badly.
If you need any information about Lafayette, hit me up.

Crime hole is an understatement. Guy has robbed us 3 times and 6 other places and they still can't catch em. Gotta work with an armed officer patrolling the building inside and outm . Can't wait to move away from here.

Bummer about Langsdorf. Given everything about the team this year Eli had a pretty decent year.

Wonder if Ross does get hired since the Bears brought in Accorsi for help searching.

Ross interviewed with the Bears in 2012 and didn't get hired so there's no guarantee. A lot of Giants fans have been calling for his head though despite the last two drafts being pretty strong.

Wait, it doesn't do anything for their cap space? Something is weird here.
Not really. It doesn't do anything for the cap TODAY but if they decide to move on from Brady in the next season or two, they can cut him and clear a big amount of cap space easily since that 24 million in guaranteed money isn't an issue anymore.

It helps the team in the long run by making him easily cuttable but he gets a raise out of the deal short term so not quite the hero he's made out to be in the scenario. Same for the previous restructure which basically gave him a big fat 30 million dollar check.

cajunator

Banned
Crime hole is an understatement. Guy has robbed us 3 times and 6 other places and they still can't catch em. Gotta work with an armed officer patrolling the building inside and outm . Can't wait to move away from here.

Move down to Lafayette it should solve most of your problems.
Except traffic of course.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not really. It doesn't do anything for the cap TODAY but if they decide to move on from Brady in the next season or two, they can cut him and clear a big amount of cap space easily since that 24 million in guaranteed money isn't an issue anymore.

It helps the team in the long run by making him easily cuttable but he gets a raise out of the deal short term so not quite the hero he's made out to be in the scenario. Same for the previous restructure which basically gave him a big fat 30 million dollar check.

That's kind of what I mean, why would Brady agree to this? He's basically gambling on himself at his age to not get cut for what's probably chump change to him. Maybe he's severely overestimating his own ability and value to the Patriots? Maybe there were under the table discussions about how long he has left? Just seems odd to me.

Duxxy3

Who's grabbing Devin McCourty this offseason? He would pair up nicely with Reshad Jones.

Patriots have the room to sign him. I'm not expecting him to leave. Would surprise me to see Solder, Ridley and Vereen on the roster. Revis, McCourty and Gostkowski will be the must sign players.

BigAT

That's kind of what I mean, why would Brady agree to this? He's basically gambling on himself at his age to not get cut for what's probably chump change to him. Maybe he's severely overestimating his own ability and value to the Patriots? Maybe there were under the table discussions about how long he has left? Just seems odd to me.

Or because money isn't a huge issue for him since his wife scoffs at the adorable little thing he calls a paycheck. He's basically the trophy wife that works part-time at some non-profit and thinks he's doing something with his life even though the breadwinner is at home. Giselle probably promised to up his allowance to make up the difference anyway.

Bowser

Barnwell wrote about this today: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/

Basically, it's about flexibility. Gives Brady the chance to go where he wants if and when the Pats decide to move on rather than be traded to some hell hole like Oakland or Tampa a la Seymour and Mankins.

Tom Penny

If Brady got cut he will find a job considering Cutler made 1 million per game this year...

Respect

Patriots have the room to sign him. I'm not expecting him to leave. Would surprise me to see Solder, Ridley and Vereen on the roster. Revis, McCourty and Gostkowski will be the must sign players.

Disappointed in Solder, I thought he would excel in a contract year...he has been inconsistent at best. Having said that, if his knee is significantly screwed up, that would be a big problem for this playoff run.

Greg

It is, I played it for 5 mins but suck. Is there a training mode?

I already have you on PSN, so if any of your bros wanna play some time, let me know!
not sure, but it's pretty simple once you play a few rounds to know what the classes are capable of (and I usually just play classic team DM, so there's less to worry about anyways)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

bionic77

You mean the Giants didn't actually resurrect Ol Dirty Bastard to come play football for them?
Good thing they didn't.

Then we would all have to be temporary Giants fans.

Finally graduated to the 1080p tv master race yesterday, brother and sister in law gave my girlfriend and I $500 as a Xmas/housewarming gift. Got a Samsung 46" LED from best buy, and I'll be spending the afternoon after work figuring out how to optimize it.
What were you watching on before this?

I think I have had an HDTV since like 2002. Back then it was a POS projector that could only do 720p or 1080i and only had component inputs. My rich uncle bought a $10k plasma tv that was 720P. I threw mine in the trash can like 5 years ago and upgraded to a nice Samsung. My uncle still has that shitty plasma. I couldn't throw it away either even though it looks like garbage.

The lesson to be learned here? Don't be a first adapter when it comes to tvs. I wouldn't say wait until 2015 to get a 1080P tv, but you should definitely wait until the tech has stabilized 2-3 years after it has released.

My dad is a super religious foreigner, use your imagination!
Explain the dad jokes between you and Mech?

Time to cry.

:(

Top Bottom