• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 16 |OT| A Fraud Was Always a Legend

Fucking Ravens...

Those shits must be so happy that they knocked us out of the playoffs.

Now I remember why I always hated that smug fuck Harbaugh.

It is still our fault though because their defense has been horrible all year. Not surprising at all to see a Tomlin team yet again not take a shit team seriously. We do this at least two times every year.

This game is the worst. I am going to quit football and just watch Star Wars every Sunday. At least that makes me happy!

I knew the Ravens would fluke their way to that win and fuck up the draft pick, which is now 8th. However, because it was sweeping the Steelers and knocking them out of the playoffs, it was worth it.

Also, Mallett!!!! We have a back up!

Bosa is legit.
I think it's Jim Bob Cooter making the Lions look good right now.
That and a weak schedule. Going into this season everyone figured if we could just get through the brutal early start near .500, we could cruise through the second half of the season. Instead we started 0-7. But we handled our business against bad teams during this second half lol.

Cooter and the new o-line coach deserve credit. Dumping that complex zone blocking scheme changed the offense. Stafford has had more time. Not enough to air it out to Megatron but enough to make the majority of the offense work.

The other huge thing is this team is full of guys who get huge YAC. Tate, Abdullah, and especially Riddick are impressing. Ebron has been decent. And this has opened up the run game a bit. Still need improvements on the line and a better blocking TE.

Striker

Charles Johnson?
YMQiXNT.png

I have to imagine the Steelers are getting ripped. There's no massaging that loss. They played with nowhere near BAL's energy despite being right in the playoff hunt

Especially in lieu of all that entitled talk about how they're more deserving of a team than others to be in the playoffs. I found it fitting.

They should be.. There was zero reason for that loss. Zero

All these Ravens fans at work are pea-cocking about... It's sickening. I've had at least 2 conversations this morning about how Mallet is not their future QB. Idiots.

very fitting. I think they thought they could roll their helmets out there and beat the ravens.

4 chances from the 5 yard line and the dolphins can't get it in? C'mon.

That game definitely kept him in the league another three years though. He made some really great throws. Guess he just had to get away from O'Brien.
Nothing but crowing all week after beating the Bengals and Broncos. Pretty clear the team considered the tough part of the schedule was over.

Dumbasses.

This has been a problem under Tomlin. Taking teams lightly.

It was a sickening game to watch. And frankly they deserve every bit of negative press this week that gets tossed at them. Ben was outplayed by a guy who was essentially fired off his previous team for acting like a spoiled brat.

Now they need help, but they don't deserve it.

Congrats to the Ravens. If the scenario was reversed, I know that would've been the way to salvage a shitty season. As Cowher once said, heading into a game where we were able to keep the Bengals from the playoffs, "misery loves company, and we're looking for company."

If you're using Miko as a counterargument you already lost.

Can someone explain why the Miami o-line didn't even snap on their last play...?

https://youtu.be/hBhT4nmsKTM?t=4m3s

I mean, aside from the Dolphins being garbage.

Center messed up snap count, it was supposed to go on two after Tannehill saw defense react and adjusted the play accordingly. That's why nobody else reacted.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This was fun, see if you can get B. A is Davante Adams:

Jarius Wright?

I dunno, not exactly the same stats but comparable. I looked for a bit but no clue what website lets you break out statistics for partial seasons.

Edit: think I just found it. Some nobody named Marc Mariani

eznark

Banned
Can someone explain why the Miami o-line didn't even snap on their last play...?

https://youtu.be/hBhT4nmsKTM?t=4m3s

I mean, aside from the Dolphins being garbage.

I assume the center snapped it early

I dunno, not exactly the same stats but comparable. I looked for a bit but no clue what website lets you break out statistics for partial seasons.
I got it from the first two clues. Everyone else needed this one:

@BadgerNoonan I forget his name but that little white dude for the Bears?

slabrock

Banned
I'm still holding out hope that Caldwell is gone after next week. I'm worried the lions won just enough and were close in their losses to allow Caldwell one more chance. What gm is gonna want to go to Detroit knowing he can't choose his coach?

eznark

Banned
Barring a miracle tonight it looks like I'll win Chris' GAF fantasy league. Daps to Houston's defense and Based Bortles.

I beat Cam Newton to win the MGAF fantasy league.

dap dap dap or what the fuck ever clown shit he does after wins (definitely not after losses, after losses he disappears faster than Tramon Williams after a new contract)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

dap dap dap or what the fuck ever clown shit he does after wins (definitely not after losses, after losses he disappears faster than Tramon Williams after a new contract)

Words hurt. :(

Eli, Vereen, Jennings, Darkwa, Beckham, Harris, Tye, Flowers, Pugh, Richburg... honestly, everyone else? OK, you can throw in JPP, DRC, and Hankins (even though he had an underwhelming year). But the rest are jags. Prince I want to say I would love to keep but since returning he hasn't been very good in coverage. He's a great tackler, though. With his injury history I'm not confident in a potential big deal he gets is worth it. But... Trevin Wade, Jayron Hosley, Tremaine McBride... Goddamit Reese.
He's playing through that injured pectoral which he admits continues to bother him even after the 4 weeks of rest, etc. Prince when healthy is very good. The "when healthy" part is the concern as you said. The reality is this team is not in a position to subtract good players from this defense right now. Prince is someone we should absolutely make an effort to retain, IMO.

JPP is a much more difficult proposition. If we can keep him for the right money, sure but if some other team is going to overpay him considering the hand situation - you have to let him walk. No way he gets franchised again and no way the Giants are going to sign him to a big deal.

Jayron Hosely should have been cut two seasons ago. McBride was a fine backup a season or two ago but he's hit a wall. Wade is a fine for depth, IMO. He's had his moments but thats the type of player you want to play in certain nickel/dime packages but who shouldn't see more than 20-25% of the snaps in a given game.

The amount of holes on this team right now is obscene. Ranking in order of need (IMO, of course) and if we stick with a 4-3 defense because we just don't know what a new coaching staff is going to do.

1. Defensive End - Honestly? We need at least 2-3 from the draft and/or FA. Owa should be back next season and it would be great if he develops.

2. Safety - Landon Collins had plenty of rough spots but he played much better than I expected of him after we drafted him. He isn't a rangy free safety though and frankly the Giants need a ball hawk. The safety play this season has cost us games more often than not. Collins isn't going to suddenly develop into Ed Reed.

3. Defensive Tackle - A healthy Hankins will be big for the defensive line and Jay Bromley will need to continue to develop but outside of that - Cullen Jenkins is 100 years old and the drop off behind those three is the size of the grand canyon. This needs to be addressed if we want to return to the days of a dominant defensive line.

4. Wide Receiver - It's the Odell show in NY. The drop off in skill players has been discussed and with Cruz being a big question mark - a #2 is desperately needed. Randle is not that guy (he won't even be a Giant next season). Dwayne Harris is not that guy.

5. Linebacker - It's time for this front office to quit fucking around with the linebacker position. At what point is Jerry Reese and company going to tire of watching the middle of the field be exploited endlessly? Its time to expend resources on an inside linebacker worth the type of contract they gave Beason (who did exactly what was expected of him - sat out injured). Or any linebacker, really. Devon Kennard has a bright future if he can stay healthy.

6. Offensive Tackle - This may be less of an issue if Will Beatty is open to a contract restructure and moving over to RT for the remainder of his career. It could also be a non-issue is the Giants want to move Flowers back to RT and keep Beatty at LT if they want to give Flowers time to develop his technique (which he needs). Either way, Flowers is the future at LT. Bobby Hart could be an answer at RT for us next season but either way - the Giants need to settle the RT spot and they need depth on the line desperately.

7. Guard - Maybe this one deserves to be higher up than tackle? An argument could be made because Geoff Schwartz has been a bust of a free agent signing. When he's on the field, he's quite good. Getting on the field is a whole other issue since he's missed so many games with injuries at this point you wonder what the Giants are even paying for. John Jerry is a fucking joke and any depth behind him isn't even worth talking about. Justin Pugh is all we have at Guard right now.

8. Running Back - Rashad Jennings can be the work horse the Giants need but he also has an injury history which may have played into his snap count being more controlled. Not to mention, he'll be 31 years old. Vereen and Darkwa are nice complimentary players but we need a work horse.

RBH

lmao

ampere

Goddammit. If I had started Arizona's defense this week I'd have won my fantasy finals. Figured Green Bay would put up a fight

smh

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ESPN has Eli's game last night as like historically bad. The only good play I remember was the screen to Jennings, who, like Collinsworth said, seemed to be the only Giants player trying

Giant's roster is so bad right now, Beckham hides so many things with the offensive side of the roster (lack of a second wr with Cruz out, lack of a decent te, John Jerry and Marshall Newhouse starting on this offensive line, alot of bad teams have bad lines, but this team has a bad line with no skill players).

And the offensive side is much better than the defensive side.

Eli, Vereen, Jennings, Darkwa, Beckham, Harris, Tye, Flowers, Pugh, Richburg... honestly, everyone else? OK, you can throw in JPP, DRC, and Hankins (even though he had an underwhelming year). But the rest are jags. Prince I want to say I would love to keep but since returning he hasn't been very good in coverage. He's a great tackler, though. With his injury history I'm not confident in a potential big deal he gets is worth it. But... Trevin Wade, Jayron Hosley, Tremaine McBride... Goddamit Reese.
I think you are being generous.

We are lauding Tye, Darkwa, and Jennings for trying. They are replacement level. Harris is a replacement level WR but a great ST'er so I will give you that, the OL you mention are great and getting better.

Everyone aside from Eli, Beckham and the 3 OL you mention have been AWFUL this year. I give a pass to Landon Collins for stepping in and playing an OK in the box safety, but in this league that position doesn't have much value.

This has honestly been the most retched combination of skill and motivation I have seen since the last year with Jim Fassel. Yeah the talent fucking sucks but at least get the guys to play, you mask talent deficiencies with high effort - no player on the Giants gives high effort.

Carl Banks hit it on the head weeks ago and it stuck with me, the Giants team is comprised of cast of special teamers in impact starting position. This is an impossible situation for us fans to swallow. At least fucking play your hearts out.

Draxal

He's playing through that injured pectoral which he admits continues to bother him even after the 4 weeks of rest, etc. Prince when healthy is very good. The "when healthy" part is the concern as you said. The reality is this team is not in a position to subtract good players from this defense right now. Prince is someone we should absolutely make an effort to retain, IMO.

Snipped.

Biggest needs is a new training staff, Barnes has got to go.

eznark

Banned
The really cool thing about the Weeden Jones beef is that if the Texans win the Super Bowl this year Weeden will get his first ring at the same age Jones got his.

That's kind of an ironic statement from Weeden considering if he had played better he'd still be on the Cowboys and watching from the couch himself

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

JPP is a much more difficult proposition. If we can keep him for the right money, sure but if some other team is going to overpay him considering the hand situation - you have to let him walk. No way he gets franchised again and no way the Giants are going to sign him to a big deal.

Jayron Hosely should have been cut two seasons ago. McBride was a fine backup a season or two ago but he's hit a wall. Wade is a fine for depth, IMO. He's had his moments but thats the type of player you want to play in certain nickel/dime packages but who shouldn't see more than 20-25% of the snaps in a given game.

The amount of holes on this team right now are obscene. Ranking in order of need (IMO, of course) and if we stick with a 4-3 defense because we just don't know what a new coaching staff is going to do.

1. Defensive End - Honestly? We need at least 2-3 from the draft and/or FA. Owa should be back next season and it would be great if he develops.

2. Safety - Landon Collins had plenty of rough spots but he played much better than I expected of him after we drafted him. He isn't a rangy free safety though and frankly the Giants need a ball hawk. The safety play this season has cost us games more often than not. Collins isn't going to suddenly develop into Ed Reed.

3. Defensive Tackle - A healthy Hankins will be big for the defensive line and Jay Bromley will need to continue to develop but outside of that - Cullen Jenkins is 100 years old and the drop off behind those three is the size of the grand canyon. This needs to be addressed if we want to return to the days of a dominant defensive line.

4. Wide Receiver - It's the Odell show in NY. The drop off in skill players has been discussed and with Cruz being a big question mark - a #2 is desperately needed. Randle is not that guy (he won't even be a Giant next season). Dwayne Harris is not that guy.

5. Linebacker - It's time for this front office to quit fucking around with the linebacker position. At what point is Jerry Reese and company going to tire of watching the middle of the field be exploited endlessly? Its time to expend resources on an inside linebacker worth the type of contract they gave Beason (who did exactly what was expected of him - sat out injured). Or any linebacker, really. Devon Kennard has a bright future if he can stay healthy.

6. Offensive Tackle - This may be less of an issue if Will Beatty is open to a contract restructure and moving over to RT for the remainder of his career. It could also be a non-issue is the Giants want to move Flowers back to RT and keep Beatty at LT if they want to give Flowers time to develop his technique (which he needs). Either way, Flowers is the future at LT. Bobby Hart could be an answer at RT for us next season but either way - the Giants need to settle the RT spot and they need depth on the line desperately.

7. Guard - Maybe this one deserves to be higher up than tackle? An argument could be made because Geoff Schwartz has been a bust of a free agent signing. When he's on the field, he's quite good. Getting on the field is a whole other issue since he's missed so many games with injuries at this point you wonder what the Giants are even paying for. John Jerry is a fucking joke and any depth behind him isn't even worth talking about. Justin Pugh is all we have at Guard right now.

8. Running Back - Rashad Jennings can be the work horse the Giants need but he also has an injury history which may have played into his snap count being more controlled. Not to mention, he'll be 31 years old. Vereen and Darkwa are nice complimentary players but we need a work horse.

I agree with your assessment except that I would add TE at #9. It's cool having guys like Tye and Donnell, but I want a real threat of a TE. I admit that's a luxury at this point.

I think it's pretty funny that you listed every position except corners and TE. What a fucking disaster of a roster. IMO, have to work from the inside out for now. Last in the league in sacks exacerbated many problems with our defense. We need a pass rush as an immediate need.

I think you are being generous.

We are lauding Tye, Darkwa, and Jennings for trying. They are replacement level. .
I understand the point, but what opportunity has Darkwa and Jennings had to showcase anything? All they CAN do is try when they've been stuck in a rather unbelievable 4 man rotation that has made almost little sense all season long.

This has honestly been the most retched combination of skill and motivation I have seen since the last year with Jim Fassel. Yeah the talent fucking sucks but at least get the guys to play, you mask talent deficiencies with high effort - no player on the Giants gives high effort.
Guys have been playing their asses off all year long though if we're being fair. More often than not WAY above their station. They've played good teams to the wire in many instances and are a razor's edge away from being 10-5. I think your being a bit harsh after watching a talentless team with absolutely nothing to play for finally come down to earth. It sucks, I know but I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

I agree with your assessment except that I would add TE at #9. It's cool having guys like Tye and Donnell, but I want a real threat of a TE. I admit that's a luxury at this point.

I think it's pretty funny that you listed every position except corners and TE. What a fucking disaster of a roster. IMO, have to work from the inside out for now. Last in the league in sacks exacerbated many problems with our defense. We need a pass rush as an immediate need.
You know, tight end belongs on the list for sure. It is a luxury though at this point considering how many other holes there are to fill as you said.

FTFY. So how is Matt Cassell working out?

Weeden had tons of support from the coaches and owner. In hindsight we should have stuck with him but he was so painful to watch. That pick 6 against the Falcons was so awful. I knew what Weeden was at that moment

Man. If I ran the Vikings I would say fuck it and lose next week. Let the packers play the Seahawks.

I doubt were doing anything in the playoffs anyway so I'd rather wear a NFC North champion hat around my Packer friends.

I won't even have to say anything. They'll start reciting their last five years and 37 NFL championships. I'll just smile and nod. And they will boil internally.

I want that I think. It's the little things when you are a Vikings fan. Who knows if we'll have that chance again soon.

Besides on the extreme off chance they do make a run, they'll have to play tough teams anyway. Who cares? No defeatist attitudes in the playoffs.

Season has already gone way better than expected so just go for it.

eznark

Banned
I doubt were doing anything in the playoffs anyway so I'd rather wear a NFC North champion hat around my Packer friends.

I won't even have to say anything. They'll start reciting their last five years and 37 NFL championships. I'll just smile and nod. And they will boil internally.

I want that I think. It's the little things when you are a Vikings fan. Who knows if we'll have that chance again soon.

Besides on the extreme off chance they do make a run, they'll have to play tough teams anyway. Who cares? No defeatist attitudes in the playoffs.

Seems about 50/50 split for Packers fans hoping for a loss. Doubt any will "boil" if they lose. You underestimate the amount of terror the Seahawks generate in GB faithful.

When you always assume you're playing for a Super Bowl title, divisional championships are wholly meaningless. It'd be cool for you guys, though.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I understand the point, but what opportunity has Darkwa and Jennings had to showcase anything? All they CAN do is try when they've been stuck in a rather unbelievable 4 man rotation that has made almost little sense all season long.

Guys have been playing their asses off all year long though if we're being fair. More often than not WAY above their station. They've played good teams to the wire in many instances and are a razor's edge away from being 10-5. I think your being a bit harsh after watching a talentless team with absolutely nothing to play for finally come down to earth. It sucks, I know. :(

Yesterday it was nothing to play for, the week before it was Eli, Beckham, and Jennings as the only guys that seemed like they were trying with a potential play off spot in the balance.

MechDX

Weeden had tons of support from the coaches and owner. In hindsight we should have stuck with him but he was so painful to watch. That pick 6 against the Falcons was so awful. I knew what Weeden was at that moment

I dont think Weeden is the future or that good for arguments sake but Jones is a classless douchebag who put the blame on Weeden when he cut him. Never mind the defense shitting games when he was starter or Jones living in la la land in his old age.

He wanted a scapegoat plain and simple and he threw Weeden to the wolves for the sake of his own vanity. Fuck the Cowboys and that senile old prick

rando14

Miko must have some serious untreated psychoses, she should not be walking the streets.

Brent Grimes post-NFL life is going to be miserable with that woman around.

Seems about 50/50 split for Packers fans hoping for a loss. Doubt any will "boil" if they lose. You underestimate the amount of terror the Seahawks generate in GB faithful.

When you always assume you're playing for a Super Bowl title, divisional championships are wholly meaningless. It'd be cool for you guys, though.

I'm talking about my friends when I say "boil". I'm sure most won't care.

Winning the division would be good for the Vikings though. They are such a young team, it would help. It would be good for the fans too.

As for the Seahawks, the Vikes are thoroughly psyched out by both them and the Packers. We'll probably lose to either.

MechDX

Understandable as I have some of the same feelings.

All off season I kept getting "The Colts have so many offensive weapons! Its obvious they win the division with one hand behind their back and roll to the Super Bowl!' yet they didnt address their two biggest issues from last season: offensive line and defense. Offensive line issues seriously bit them in the ass and it was glorious. (sorry Spin)

Texans in the same boat: 4th youngest roster in the league. Remove a couple older vets (Wilfork, Washington, Joseph) they move up more.

Yes Kave, Bosa is good. He's one of the better pass rushers in the Draft.

Nothing but crowing all week after beating the Bengals and Broncos. Pretty clear the team considered the tough part of the schedule was over.

Dumbasses.

This has been a problem under Tomlin. Taking teams lightly.

It was a sickening game to watch. And frankly they deserve every bit of negative press this week that gets tossed at them. Ben was outplayed by a guy who was essentially fired off his previous team for acting like a spoiled brat.

Now they need help, but they don't deserve it.

Congrats to the Ravens. If the scenario was reversed, I know that would've been the way to salvage a shitty season. As Cowher once said, heading into a game where we were able to keep the Bengals from the playoffs, "misery loves company, and we're looking for company."

Yup. It's becoming a recurring theme where they drop a game they shouldn't of.

Barring a miracle tonight it looks like I'll win Chris' GAF fantasy league. Daps to Houston's defense and Based Bortles.

:(
Oh god... Fuck you PD.
congrats though.

Words hurt. :(

It is what it is Kave.

bionic77

Everybody in here complaining about their team not playing when it counts, missing the playoffs, etc.

I don't want to hear it. The Lions are winning meaningless games against TERRIBLE teams, and all it serves to do is make Caldwell look good. They're going to keep him as head coach, while your team will rebound and be good against next year.
I have no pity for you.

The Lions and their fans know they are going to lose. You have accepted your fate and your destiny. Losing is what the Lions were made to do and their fans know it better than anyone else. You are the ugly girl that everyone sleeps with when they can't get anything better but no one will even admit to it after the fact and you are with ok with you lot in life because you have never known anything better.

Steelers fans are like spoiled hot girls. We expect everything to go our way. And right now we are getting older and losing our looks and we are not handling the realties of life very well.

:(

Top Bottom