• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 1 |OT| - Look, Are You Ready for Some Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

B51eKVvCUAAqaYB.jpg

gutshot

Eagles game thoughts:

Overall, I thought we played OK. It was sloppy at times, but they got the W, which has been tough for us to do against WASTEAM, of late.

Wentz showed he still is not a finished product. His numbers were actually decent (66.7% comp., 307 yds, 2 TDs, 96.8 rating), but they would have been amazing with some better accuracy, especially on the deep throws. He had Smith and Agholor free down the field two different times and either over or under threw them badly. But he showed good accuracy down the middle, zipping the ball in on crossers and seam routes pretty well. As for the swing passes? The less said about them the better. He showed his toughness and elusive in the pocket to great effect. The guy is hard to bring down and he does a good job on keeping his eyes downfield and finding an open man.

The RBs are what we thought. Blount is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. At least a few times it looked like he had a pretty big hole up front, only for someone to close on him from behind and trip him up. I feel like a better RB would have gotten some big yards today. Smallwood is OK, but still struggles in pass pro. Sproles is Sproles; amazing, but you can't lean on him all game.

Jeffery was underwhelming in his Eagles debut. It's clear that Wentz and him aren't quite on the same page yet. Hopefully that improves as the season goes on. Ertz though is easily Wentz's favorite target. Agholor (finally) had a good game. Smith had one route where he had two steps on Norman deep and Wentz overthrew him. That shoulda been a TD. He also showed really poor awareness on the botched-swing-pass-turned-lateral. He could have easily jumped on the ball and instead just stood there. His blocking is also terrible. But he's here to stretch the field and it looks like he can do that pretty effectively.

The defense mostly played well. The d-line was bringing pressure pretty consistently. Graham was a beast all game. Cox and Jernigan also had some big plays. Shame about Darby. Hopefully he can make it back by mid-season. The secondary as a whole did not play great, I thought, and were bailed out a lot by inaccurate Cousins passes or Pryor drops. Mills was the beneficiary of one of those (credit to him for holding on to the ball though). Maybe Douglas can make an impact. Or Jones, if/when he can go.

Special teams was good as usual. Yeah, Sturgis missed the XP, but he nailed the important FGs including a 50 yarder. And the punt being downed on the 1 late in the game was huge.

All in all, I'll take the win but lots to improve on. Hopefully Peters can return next week. Wentz can iron out some of his inaccuracy issues and get on the same page with Jeffery. And the young CBs will step up and play better.

Dishwalla

Banned
Saw a a guy decked out in Cowboys gear buying a cart full of beer at the grocery store earlier, wonder if he was preparing for tonight.

Rooting for the Eli's.

cdyhybrid

Russell saying he wants to run the no-huddle a little more.

Which means Bevell will probably run HB dive into a brick wall three times in a row every drive next week.

JABEE

Eagles game thoughts:

Overall, I thought we played OK. It was sloppy at times, but they got the W, which has been tough for us to do against WASTEAM, of late.

Wentz showed he still is not a finished product. His numbers were actually decent (66.7% comp., 307 yds, 2 TDs, 96.8 rating), but they would have been amazing with some better accuracy, especially on the deep throws. He had Smith and Agholor free down the field two different times and either over or under threw them badly. But he showed good accuracy down the middle, zipping the ball in on crossers and seam routes pretty well. As for the swing passes? The less said about them the better. He showed his toughness and elusive in the pocket to great effect. The guy is hard to bring down and he does a good job on keeping his eyes downfield and finding an open man.

The RBs are what we thought. Blount is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. At least a few times it looked like he had a pretty big hole up front, only for someone to close on him from behind and trip him up. I feel like a better RB would have gotten some big yards today. Smallwood is OK, but still struggles in pass pro. Sproles is Sproles; amazing, but you can't lean on him all game.

Jeffery was underwhelming in his Eagles debut. It's clear that Wentz and him aren't quite on the same page yet. Hopefully that improves as the season goes on. Ertz though is easily Wentz's favorite target. Agholor (finally) had a good game. Smith had one route where he had two steps on Norman deep and Wentz overthrew him. That shoulda been a TD. He also showed really poor awareness on the botched-swing-pass-turned-lateral. He could have easily jumped on the ball and instead just stood there. His blocking is also terrible. But he's here to stretch the field and it looks like he can do that pretty effectively.

The defense mostly played well. The d-line was bringing pressure pretty consistently. Graham was a beast all game. Cox and Jernigan also had some big plays. Shame about Darby. Hopefully he can make it back by mid-season. The secondary as a whole did not play great, I thought, and were bailed out a lot by inaccurate Cousins passes or Pryor drops. Mills was the beneficiary of one of those (credit to him for holding on to the ball though). Maybe Douglas can make an impact. Or Jones, if/when he can go.

Special teams was good as usual. Yeah, Sturgis missed the XP, but he nailed the important FGs including a 50 yarder. And the punt being downed on the 1 late in the game was huge.

All in all, I'll take the win but lots to improve on. Hopefully Peters can return next week. Wentz can iron out some of his inaccuracy issues and get on the same page with Jeffery. And the young CBs will step up and play better.

Another thought, I thought Patrick Robinson looked good on the outside against Pryor

gutshot

Another thought, I thought Patrick Robinson looked good on the outside against Pryor

I didn't notice him in particular, but I guess that is a good thing because it means he didn't get beat. One thing I did notice and forgot to mention is the CBs had some good tackles in space on swing passes and the like. That was good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom