• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 2 |OT| The Dawn of a New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR_rambo

Banned
I hate when the bring servicemen and women into it. Shit excuse. Same goes for "oh instead of protesting go do something", hey Jeff, if you're REALLY all about the military peeps go be proactive and help the thousands of poor souls who come back and have their lives FUCKED after serving. My father served and a number of his friends ended up back here with mental health issues and/or trouble finding employment. Bitching about anthem protests does fuck all to help them, so go practice what you preach and help them.

This guy is full of shit. Kap has spoken out and put his money where his mouth is and has diversified his activism to address injustice at all levels. This owner is wilfully ignorant.

Lurie never said or implied he didn't. It's a load of crock.

It's a load of crock to the extent that Torrey Smith himself has come out in defense of Lurie

Smith tweeted
He is actually very educated about certain issues. The writer of that article did a piss poor job. Go look at his actual quotes

Lurie's comments were about Malcolm Jenkins.

This is why the press is infuriating

Kite

It's a load of crock to the extent that Torrey Smith himself has come out in defense of Lurie

Smith tweeted

lol wow that really is some fake news bs

Earlier this week at an impromptu press conference, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie was asked about the protests of Jenkins and other NFL players. He endorsed protests against social injustice done in a respectful manner.

"It's a big problem in America -- social injustice," Lurie said. "It's a big problem around the globe. And anybody who wants to do proactive things to try to reverse social injustice, I'm all in favor of. It has to be respectful, and it certainly has to respect our military and the men and women that serve our country -- emergency responders, whoever that is -- but you gotta do it in a respectful way. But I applaud anybody that can find respectful ways of trying to use their platform in some way to discuss social injustice."

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/09/malcolm_jenkins_rodney_mcleod.html

theroot did a hit piece on the guy wowowow

Another thing that kills me is the Riley Cooper thing. They should have fired him, for sure, but Jason Avant and Michael Vick asked the locker room to give him a second chance and asked the organization not to fire him. Two locker room leaders ask you to forgive him and not fire him, so you do just that, and you get called a racist owner.

JABEE

I didn't like Lurie's comments when he made them last week. He said the Eagles didn't have a need at QB right now, but he skirted around the idea of bringing in Kaepernick.

He said they would have to look into how good a teammate and leader the player was. He also said he didn't agree with players disrespecting the flag without a proactive plan to solve injustice. This is a distinction Lurie is saying exists with Malcolm Jenkins's protest versus other "unnamed" players around the league. He said they would have to look into each case. He said he was able to judge Jenkins better because he sees the work he does in the community in Philadelphia.

It sounded like an excuse and Lurie implied those negative things about Kaepernick as if in order to protest you must do so by Lurie's terms and satisfy a series of steps afterward Lurie finds constructive.

He also said kneeling was definitely disrespecting the anthem and the flag.

Full transcript from Shaun King's exchange with the Eagles Twitter account today.

77obCie.png

https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/908374746085150720

I didn't like Lurie's comments when he made them last week. He said the Eagles didn't have a need at QB right now, but he skirted around the idea of bringing in Kaepernick.

He said they would have to look into how good a teammate and leader the player was. He also said he didn't agree with players disrespecting the flag without a proactive plan to solve injustice. This is a distinction Lurie is saying exists with Malcolm Jenkins's protest versus other "unnamed" players around the league. He said they would have to look into each case.

It sounded like an excuse and Lurie implied those negative things about Kaepernick as if in order to protest you must do so by Lurie's terms and satisfy a series of steps afterward Lurie finds constructive.

He also said kneeling was definitely disrespecting the anthem and the flag.

Lurie literally never said anything about Kaepernick or named names. He said he supported his guy, essentially.

He also said "It's very important to show respect for the flag, for the anthem, but it can be misinterpreted that certain people are not showing respect."

Lurie really should have gone in expecting those questions. I listened live and it was very clear he was speaking off the cuff. He should have had a rehearsed response, because no matter what you say about this shit it's going to get picked apart over and over again. If he had the language nailed down to say what he meant this wouldn't even be a controversy.

It's the left turning on itself all over again. You've got an owner who donates to the Clinton campaign, who gives convicted felons second chances in this league when literally no one else would touch them with a 10 foot pole, and who support his players that protest, and hit pieces like that are what he gets in return.

watershed

Banned

Smith tweeted

Lurie still said it's disrespectful to protest the anthem and all the other bs people say. It's classic behavior to criticize how people protest instead of focusing on what they're protesting for. See basically every white person in America responding to BLM.

Lurie still said it's disrespectful to protest the anthem and all the other bs people say. It's classic behavior to criticize how people protest instead of focusing on what they're protesting for. See basically every white person in America responding to BLM.

He said that "if all you are doing is protesting the anthem, that's the point of your protest, it's not respectful." Almost literally. Then he said some people misinterpret that.

I mean, his own players who are vocal BLM and Kaepernick supporters think he's good with it, and he can't even get the benefit of the doubt.

JABEE

Lurie literally never said anything about Kaepernick or named names. He said he supported his guy, essentially.

He also said "It's very important to show respect for the flag, for the anthem, but it can be misinterpreted that certain people are not showing respect."

Lurie really should have gone in expecting those questions. I listened live and it was very clear he was speaking off the cuff. He should have had a rehearsed response, because no matter what you say about this shit it's going to get picked apart over and over again. If he had the language nailed down to say what he meant this wouldn't even be a controversy.

It's the left turning on itself all over again. You've got an owner who donates to the Clinton campaign, who gives convicted felons second chances in this league when literally no one else would touch them with a 10 foot pole, and who support his players that protest, and hit pieces like that are what he gets in return.

I watched the press conference live. He was asked directly about Kaepernick. The transcript of the specific questions are in the image I posted. He didn't name him, but he answered in context of Kaepernick as if he was criticizing him.

You can donate to Hillary Clinton, and still have issues like this. He never answered if it would impact his ability to hire him other than it was an issue they would need to look into, but they are happy with their QBs.

I wasn't a fan of Lurie's comments.

I wanted Lurie to come out and say flat out he supported it. That's what I wish he did. What he did instead was tried to be neutral in a hamfisted way. Unfortunately that's what's getting him in trouble. No one respects a neutral party in this shit.

Lurie's actions speak loudest here, and I think that's why you're seeing the team stick up for him. Torrey Smith has been very candid in his thoughts about what's happening to Kaep. He could have ignored this whole thing if he thought Lurie was doing the same thing. He didn't.

Rvaan

Banned
Watson won that game last night for my Texans with his legs not his arm (stiff arm aside). He played like a rookie who just got his first reps with the 1s a few days ago. This offense is going to be bad this year. We have 1 good receiving threat, an O Line that is garbage, and a HC/OC that plays ulrta conservatively. Hopefully things can improve
Once BOB is gone.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
That was a nice run by Watson, but his passing looks really bad. Can't seem to read a defense at all. At least two pick sixes dropped in this game, where the defenders were waiting for the pass and Watson didn't even see them.
Why do you think those of that actually watched his preseason said and keep saying he shouldn't be starting. The only reason he is, is that the Online is so bad they need someone mobile in there not to die.

The fact that the bengals were able to make that benny hill sequence at the end pf the game last as long as they did is a great showing at how awful both these teams are.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The fact that the bengals were able to make that benny hill sequence at the end pf the game last as long as they did is a great showing at how awful both these teams are.
Yea it was that one play that actually often does go for far too long and not the other 59 and hald minutes of terrible football

squicken

That was some dreadful offense last night. Offensive line play has been getting progressively worse every year but the league doesn't seem to care

I don't even know what the Texans plan is other than for Watson to come up with some busted play. Reminds me of Buddy Ryan and Randall Cunningham

Zeke

Demarcus Ware is a cowboy through and through. He joked and said
"If Jerry calls me, I'll answer the phone,"

"I was one day away from coming back and signing with the Dallas Cowboys," Ware said. "But my body just told me it's time. It's time to stop playing. I still have the drive to get out there and the want to play, but you've got to think about family, think about what's important and I just decided it's time to hang up the cleats and put a suit on."
Enjoy life post football Ware. Broncos are also going to honor him this Sunday which is pretty awesome.

effzee

I get what Lurie is saying but by claiming it is disrespectful to the flag and the servicemen is such an absurd take. It muddies the waters and people lose sight of the actual purpose or issue.

To me, the natural reaction should be "wow player x is protesting the anthem!!?!?!?! I wonder why let me see.....oh I looked into it and its because of racial inequality and police brutality...yeah let's talk about that more and see what we can do to fix" rather than "oh I am lazy and dont' care about the actual content of the protest so I am going to say I am outraged by the disrespect the flag".

Lurie is progressive and one of the few owners who isn't a Trump supporter. He definitely could have worded it better. And there is no way in this world Foles is better than Kap.

gutshot

I understand why Lurie is toeing the line. He doesn't want to upset all the servicemen and women who are Eagles fans and take offense to anthem protests. He wants to both appear progressive about the issues, but also be able to say to those offended by the protests that he sees their side of things.

It's a shitty position to take because it leaves you ripe for misinterpretation from both sides. He is pretty clearly a Democrat and a progressive, but in trying to preserve his bottom line, he's opened himself up to legitimate criticism.

thats a lot of games for a parlay. But it would be helpful if you're going to post it to actually be able to see what has to happen.

oh it is just winning. either team 1 or 2
that is why i like football bets over soccer
only 2 possible outcomes for every match instead of 3

MechDX

That was some dreadful offense last night. Offensive line play has been getting progressively worse every year but the league doesn't seem to care

I don't even know what the Texans plan is other than for Watson to come up with some busted play. Reminds me of Buddy Ryan and Randall Cunningham

Ill give the kid this: Watson improved as the game went on. In the 2nd half the Texans ran less of that 6-7 o linemen package and at times looked like a pocket passer

squicken

Ill give the kid this: Watson improved as the game went on. In the 2nd half the Texans ran less of that 6-7 o linemen package and at times looked like a pocket passer

Oh I definitely mean that as a criticism of O'Brien. Watson is raw but his offense looks bad with all his QBs

MechDX

Oh I definitely mean that as a criticism of O'Brien. Watson is raw but his offense looks bad with all his QBs

Hard to judge last night at least when all 3 of your active TEs are out and 2 of them are in the teams top 3 for receptions

OBs play calling is highly suspect though. Stop running Miller up the middle on 3rd and short!

O line issues are becoming a league wide problem

Hard to judge last night at least when all 3 of your active TEs are out and 2 of them are in the teams top 3 for receptions

OBs play calling is highly suspect though. Stop running Miller up the middle on 3rd and short!

O line issues are becoming a league wide problem

can you please change back your avatar?
i didn't recognize you and don't like to read names all the time

thanks in advance...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

Sources: The #Colts are planning on starting QB Jacoby Brissett on Sunday vs. #AZCardinals. Former starter Scott Tolzien goes to the bench.

brisket.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom