• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Jarnet87

He's such a dickbag.

I didn't see ESPN's show last year but did Berman stop giving hints away of who's getting picked? That is the worst. I stuck to NFLN's show.

NFL Network had Mayock giving away the pick too, this was a couple drafts ago. Both networks stopped doing it.

I like NFL Networks draft coverage a lot more now (Despite having Marshall Faulk there, the man is an idiot), but a lot of this is in part to ESPN's coverage being terrible recently. They were much better in the past.

Mayock is great. If i Had to pick like a 4 or 5 man dream team for covering the draft it would probably be Eisen, Mayock, Charles Davis, and Tom Jackson/Gruden.

effzee

He's such a dickbag.

I didn't see ESPN's show last year but did Berman stop giving hints away of who's getting picked? That is the worst. I stuck to NFLN's show.

But isn't he near the top for when graded for his mock drafts?

He might be an annoying personality but I was surprised to find out he is pretty accurate when measured against his peers.

BigAT

But isn't he near the top for when graded for his mock drafts?

He might be an annoying personality but I was surprised to find out he is pretty accurate when measured against his peers.

Being semi-accurate makes someone not be a dickbag?

Wes

venison crêpe
If Goodell really wanted to add more drama to the draft, when announcing the pick he should say the position first then the name.

squicken

If Goodell really wanted to add more drama to the draft, when announcing the pick he should say the position first then the name.

Always gets leaked on Twitter a minute early anyway. And yeah, Berman is obnoxious with his hinting

I read that Wade Phillips is doing the draft coverage for Sky in the UK. I would deport 95% of existing US football analysts to get that broadcast here

You are older than:

• 91.6 percent of NFL players
  • 82.2 percent of NBA players
  • 82.5 percent of NHL players
  • 78.2 percent of MLB players

Thank fuck for that, I'm not over the hill just yet.

You are older than:

58.3 percent of NFL players
49.4 percent of NBA players
49.3 percent of NHL players
31.6 percent of MLB players

I'd be an established Veteran.

Tamanon

Banned
You are older than:

99.1 percent of NFL players
97.9 percent of NBA players
96.3 percent of NHL players
95.7 percent of MLB players

:(

I assume Weeden is that 0.9

Ninja Scooter is older than

91.7 percent of NFL players
82.6 percent of NBA players
82.6 percent of NHL players
78.3 percent of MLB players

Fuck this world.

Ninja Scooter is older than

91.7 percent of NFL players
82.6 percent of NBA players
82.6 percent of NHL players
78.3 percent of MLB players

Fuck this world.

right-here-bro.gif

Uncle Rog should get the American Idol people (aside: let's keep it a buck, is that show even still on TV?) to produce the draft with Seacrest calling all of the picks.

"With the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select...we'll tell you right after this commercial break"

Tamanon

Banned
Just line up 3 players and slowly tell them which one isn't getting picked.

"With the fourth pick in the NFL draft.....Johnny Manziel....you are not being drafted by the Cleveland Browns."

Bonus points if people look happy instead of sad when they don't make the cut.

bionic77

You are older than:

99.1 percent of NFL players
97.2 percent of NBA players
95.7 percent of NHL players
94.6 percent of MLB players

I am going to do some Gata analysis of these stats and declare that I still have a 2.8% chance of making the NBA.

The dream is still alive!

Greg

Uncle Rog should get the American Idol people (aside: let's keep it a buck, is that show even still on TV?) to produce the draft with Seacrest calling all of the picks.

"With the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select...we'll tell you right after this commercial break"

Just line up 3 players and slowly tell them which one isn't getting picked.

"With the fourth pick in the NFL draft.....Johnny Manziel....you are not being drafted by the Cleveland Browns."

Bonus points if people look happy instead of sad when they don't make the cut.
:jnc

Wes

venison crêpe
I read that Wade Phillips is doing the draft coverage for Sky in the UK. I would deport 95% of existing US football analysts to get that broadcast here

Interesting! I didn't think they carried the draft beyond showing whatever NFL Network streamed. Maybe they'll cut to Wade and the others during the advert breaks, like they do during games.

Interesting! I didn't think they carried the draft beyond showing whatever NFL Network streamed. Maybe they'll cut to Wade and the others during the advert breaks, like they do during games.

Fuck Sky's NFL coverage, constantly pick terrible games and have to put up with:

• Kevin Cadle, who after years of hosting NFL coverage still knowing nothing about the sport and offers nothing except an American accent
  • Nick Halling (Not sure if he's still on, not watched NFL on Sky in a while, because it's shit) who sits there staring at his laptop reading out half time yardage number or fantasy football scores. If his laptop is broken he sits there stroking his Steelers tie.
  • Cecil Martin, who is totally redundant because we already have Kevin Cadle sitting there fulfilling the role of clueless dude speaking American
  • Their refusal to do any analysis of the game they're watching, choosing to spend all Sunday evening either reading out emails and tweets or having hilarious "bants" about their bullshit fantasy league
  • Half time for the first half of the NFL season being devoted to previewing the upcoming Wembley game, again refusing to acknowledge that there is an actual game being played at that very moment
  • Seriously, fuck the Sky coverage
  • Jeff Reinebold is OK though

squicken

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
Manziel has done more to help himself during his private mtgs, workout w teams than any QB in this draft FAR!!! He's flown up boards but...

While teams don't seem as concerned w off field stuff as they had their concern is now based on only size and potential durability

One team in top 10 a month ago didn't have him in their top 4 QBs. After spending time w him he's now number one on their board at position

Still teams at top are wrestling w risk-reward of such dynamic talent vs can his body hold up on this level

Also some stats and tidbits from ESPN on QB prospects

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/125571/inside-slant-digging-deeper-on-qb-class

I think the only way Watkins falls to #5 is if both Bortels and Manziel get drafted in the Top 4. If Watkins or even Mack reach #5 I think Mayhew makes that trade.

What if both are gone by 5, and the Lions believe Evans will be gone before 10. Do you trade up for him? I wouldn't.

You are older than:

98.9 percent of NFL players
96.8 percent of NBA players
95.6 percent of NHL players
93.9 percent of MLB players

It's all downhill after 35. :D

Konka

Banned
You are older than:

50.9 percent of NFL players
44.2 percent of NBA players
44.9 percent of NHL players
25 percent of MLB players

Bunch of olds in here.

Talon

Man, I'm getting a real kick out of these "get a solid QB in the late rounds."

How many times has that actually produced a franchise QB? Lord Brady is definitely a HoFer, but that's a once in a decade kind of hit/circumstance. Russell is a SB champion in year three, but he's definitely been carried by that phenomenal defense. Kaepernick has performed well, but the jury's out on him - plus he objectively has the best coach in the league with a tight leash on him. The only thing we're sure about Russell and Kaepernick is that they've accomplished more than Fatford ever will - unless we count the dining table.

Unless you think you're stupid enough to think that you're as well-run of an organization as the early-2000s Patriots or current Seahawk and 49ers, you can keep on waiting to oblivion.

How many times has that actually produced a franchise QB? Lord Brady is definitely a HoFer, but that's a once in a decade kind of hit/circumstance. Russell is a SB champion in year three, but he's definitely been carried by that phenomenal defense. Kaepernick has performed well, but the jury's out on him - plus he objectively has the best coach in the league with a tight leash on him. The only thing we're sure about Russell and Kaepernick is that they've accomplished more than Fatford ever will - unless we count the dining table.

Unless you think you're stupid enough to think that you're as well-run of an organization as the early-2000s Patriots or current Seahawk and 49ers, you can keep on waiting to oblivion.

It's better to have a serviceable late-round QB than to blow an early pick on a QB that may or may not pan out.

bionic77

It worked out great for the Steelers and Giants. And to a lesser extent the Chargers.

Nothing wrong with taking a qb with a high pick. You just have to pick the right qb. Otherwise you are throwing away a good draft pick.

gutshot

@Jeff_McLane said:
Sounds like the #Eagles will go with Malcolm Jenkins and the winner of a Nate Allen-Earl Wolff competition at safety. Maybe draft one late.

I know most of Eagles GAF won't be happy to hear this.

Talon

It's better to have a serviceable late-round QB than to blow an early pick on a QB that may or may not pan out.
Better to take sure-thing non-skill position players like Aaron Curry and Robert Gallery, right?

How many serviceable late-round QBs are there in this league? And what the hell does "serviceable" mean?

Better to take sure-thing non-skill position players like Aaron Curry and Robert Gallery, right?

We didn't draft Curry.

Also Gallery was supposed to be a sure thing. It just shows that even the most predictable players there is still some guess work or chance it doesn't work out. But drafting a QB in the first round isn't always gonna get you a ring.

squicken

How many serviceable late-round QBs are there in this league? And what the hell does "serviceable" mean?

Short term memory. Non-QBs are locks. Can't miss. Reach for a QB and you are taking Gabbert over Watt/Quinn.

Top Bottom