• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Not with an eye on replacing their starter right now, but which teams are likely to look at drafting an heir apparent? Remember, when GB took Rodgers, they also took Brian Brohm in the 2nd.

Steelers, Chargers, Texans? Who would look to find a new QB once the 30+ guy declines too much?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Today has been one of the worst days I've had in a long while.

And I'm not just talking about the whole Haslam stuff. 1 more hour and then I go home for the weekend.

Dragon

Banned
rodg9oai3.gif

Best throw I saw all last year. Amazing player when he is on

Rodgers has had the best 10 passes all season for the past three seasons. Unbelievable arm talent.

To me it's just a flick of the wrist for him. That throw in the GIF he doesn't really stride that much at all. He's a freak.

Don't you ever talk about Tebow that way. He is pure and angelic. Unlike your bitch ass demon spawn qb!

And fuck Ben. I am a fan of the Steelers so that means I want him to do well, but he is a douchebag. I would trade him for Tebow in a second.

Fair enough bionic. Fair enough.

And I'm not just talking about the whole Haslam stuff. 1 more hour and then I go home for the weekend.

Feel better dude. It can only get better from here!

Colasante

Not with an eye on replacing their starter right now, but which teams are likely to look at drafting an heir apparent? Remember, when GB took Rodgers, they also took Brian Brohm in the 2nd.

Steelers, Chargers, Texans? Who would look to find a new QB once the 30+ guy declines too much?

Steelers, Chargers, Texans, Cowboys, and Giants should all be looking to secure a young backup QB. Chargers and Texans are the two that might be interested in drafting someone to legitimately compete with their starters.

Talon

To me it's just a flick of the wrist for him. That throw in the GIF he doesn't really stride that much at all. He's a freak.
We've seen that kind of effortless arm strength before, though. I think Vick still gets the most from the least movement on the ball.

The difference is how Roger's controls his body. Look at him, even as he's scrambling, he faces up and gets his shoulders cocked before he launches the ball.

Vick - or even Elway - would have just launched that ball without thinking about it.

Aaron Rodgers is the most deliberate improvising quarterback I can remember seeing in the league, and that's what makes him the best QB in the league by a wide margin, IMO. He has the arm strength of Elway, the athleticism of Young, the ball placement of Brees, and the deliberateness of Peyton. Biggest leap ever from college to the pros. He wasn't a noodle arm, but he's so much quicker and better with his release now and generates a ton more velocity.

I mean, hell, the only knock you can throw at him is that he's too focused on throwing downfield. Seriously.

In before Packers-GAF accuses me of reverse jinxing.

squicken

Hope it gets better Kave. Enjoy the weekend!

Steelers, Chargers, Texans, Cowboys, and Giants should all be looking to secure a young backup QB. Chargers and Texans are the two that might be interested in drafting someone to legitimately compete with their starters.

Texans should try and find a guy to play this year or next. With all those bootlegs, if they could just find a guy who could run. Look what Shanny did with that offense for RG3. They should draft Matt Scott or EJ Manuel, but they won't

Chargers idk. They have so many holes I'm not sure it's the time to spend high on a backup/potential replacement

bionic77

Rodgers has Elway's arm strength?

:lol

You guys need to get your eyes checked. Next you will be telling me he has more velocity than Jeff George!

Talon

Rodgers has Elway's arm strength?

:lol

You guys need to get your eyes checked. Next you will be telling me he has more velocity than Jeff George!
Nobody has Jeff George arm strength. Not even Jesus.

Anyways, I'm even saying that as the biggest Elway fanboy on the planet. The '98 Superbowl was a cruel day...because I knew the Lord and Savior John Elway would stomp all over an overachieving '98 Falcons team that feasted on Minnesota choking on itself and Garrison Hearst's brittle body.

bionic77

Nobody has Jeff George arm strength. Not even Jesus.

Anyways, I'm even saying that as the biggest Elway fanboy on the planet. The '98 Superbowl was a cruel day...because I knew the Lord and Savior John Elway would stomp all over an overachieving '98 Falcons team that feasted on Minnesota choking on itself and Garrison Hearst's brittle body.
Rodgers doesn't come close to Elway's arm strength either. But in todays game you don't need that much arm strength (if you ever did).

You just need enough to be able to get the ball deep. After that a quick release is worth a lot more than any added arm strength.

Talon

Erron doesn't even have the strongest arm in the league
Dude has the most accurate deep ball in the league, and that's all that matters.
Rodgers doesn't come close to Elway's arm strength either. But in todays game you don't need that much arm strength (if you ever did).

You just need enough to be able to get the ball deep. After that a quick release is worth a lot more than any added arm strength.
Of course. I think I've been consistent in saying that arm strength is the most overrated trait of a QB.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Rodgers still reminds me of a younger Favre, just with more athleticism. Damn that arm is strong too.

Rodgers is better than 90s Favre in almost every way. He's more mobile and almost never costs Green Bay a win by getting too greedy.

Actually the one thing I would put Favre ahead of Rodgers on is durability. I don't think Rodgers is going to start every game into his 40s....I see Rodgers retiring at about 37.

bionic77

Erron doesn't even have the strongest arm in the league
Preaching to the choir brah.

Hell he could barely handle that dying 90 year old cancer patient. Guys with real arm strength (i.e. Big Ben) have no problem holding women down against their will. There are other ways to judge arm strength, but if you can't handle your own against a old ass cancer patient in a street fight you can barely make a credible argument that you have a penis and balls, let alone the kind of superior upper body strength that guys like Elway and George had.

Dude has the most accurate deep ball in the league, and that's all that matters.

Of course. I think I've been consistent in saying that arm strength is the most overrated trait of a QB.

Why was he so god awful in the playoffs with his deep ball then? Or do you mean accurate when he's playing against the shitty NFC north?

bionic77

Rodgers is better than 90s Favre in almost every way. He's more mobile and almost never costs Green Bay a win by getting too greedy.

Actually the one thing I would put Favre ahead of Rodgers on is durability. I don't think Rodgers is going to start every game into his 40s....I see Rodgers retiring at about 37.
The game in the 90s was very different dude.

Back then teams could press up on receivers and at a certain point you had to have the necessary arm strength to throw a guy open. I don't think Rodgers does as well in that era as Farve did. In todays game it is more flag football. I mean fucking Tom Brady can't throw the ball past 15 yards and yet is able to complete like 70% of his passes because of the rules.

Talon

Somehow Lunchbox found the one picture from the Mallet's Michigan days.
Why was he so god awful in the playoffs with his deep ball then? Or do you mean accurate when he's playing against the shitty NFC north?
The based Lord had an off day in an ode to his 49ers fanhood. If I played for the Buccaneers, I would silently choke against the Falcons twice a year. Maybe even buttfumble.

But, seriously, Dom Capers was too busy chucking his defenders at air.

Lunchbox

Banned

Back then teams could press up on receivers and at a certain point you had to have the necessary arm strength to throw a guy open. I don't think Rodgers does as well in that era as Farve did. In todays game it is more flag football. I mean fucking Tom Brady can't throw the ball past 15 yards and yet is able to complete like 70% of his passes because of the rules.
1227798_odxrc8.gif

bionic77

It took Tammy like 5 minute to wind that up.

Praise the pass protection, play call and lack of any defense.

Lets not pretend he ever had even average arm strength. To be fair, there some things in the female anatomy that prevent them from throwing as hard as men.

Talon

Remember that play in the superbowl when Gronk was WIDE WIDE open for a touchdown, with only a slow ass linebacker in the area, and Brady just completely underthrew it for an interception?
Chase Blackburn sends Tom Brady pictures of that play every month.

Hunter S.

Elways balls were often dropped because he threw it so hard it hurt. It does not take tons of strength for a person that had sex reassignment surgery like Brady to throw sixty yards when he, she, it is on hormone therapy. His velocity is still low and easier to cover.
Edit: @sQuicken I hope that means he might play. I thought the Jets wanted him to beef up last season?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Oh no doubt that football was rougher back then. I'm not sure if Rodgers would be as great if he was playing in the 90s. I think that says more about players like Favre, Montana, or Jerry Rice than Rodgers though.

I also have ample evidence that Favre continued to throw questionable balls well into the beginning of the "flag football" era. So even he did have to force that crap in the 90s, there was no reason he had to continue to do so in the 00s other than that's just how he has always done it.

It still comes down to how after dealing with a gunslinger QB, Rodgers is a Godsend with how well he protects the ball and continuously makes not only the amazing throws but the smart ones as well.

Dragon

Banned
It took Tammy like 5 minute to wind that up.

Praise the pass protection, play call and lack of any defense.

Lets not pretend he ever had even average arm strength. To be fair, there some things in the female anatomy that prevent them from throwing as hard as men.

Brady at one point had one of the best deep balls in the league. He just doesn't have that arm strength anymore and I don't think any sane Pats fan would claim that he does.

Healthy Gronk is an oxymoron.

Dude has missed five regular season games in his career. Not saying he is gonna be Cal Ripken Jr. but c'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom