• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

It's hard to get a good feel for how they would look in real life because of how stylized that mock-up is. I think that's a grey color instead of white? I'm definitely not a fan of that.

And why are you talking to me anyway? I thought I was dead to you?

I'm practicing forgiveness.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It is weird to say this as a Mac whore, but win7 is nice.

The computer they gave me at work is a piece of shit, but it is still good enough for what I do here and I am loving the 27" widescreen monitor.

I think when I replace our aging mini I might get a small PC for home. I was thinking of an iMac, but now that they don't have a disk drive it might be nice to get a average gaming PC for the home. Especially seeing how fucking cheap they are.

Still sticking with Apple for laptops. The Air is just perfect.

Yeah you definitely want a desktop for a gaming PC.

I made the mistake of buying a "gaming" laptop and while it was neat at first that thing weighed 10 pounds, was incredibly expensive, and was obsolete in a few years.

I know you don't have a lot of time for games but I'm sort of surprised you don't have some beast of a rig sitting around gathering dust already.

Fantomex

So now the story is Albert wants Jake Long money to come to the Phins. Hehe, we could of kept Long if that was the case. So Ireland is now playing the waiting game, he has been told what the team is willing to offer.

And I'm not buying Eifert at #12. A tight end that went up against the powerhouses of Purdue, Navy, Michigan State, BYU, Pittsburgh and Wake Forest doesn't seem to be worth it at #12. He got his game shut down when Millner covered him in the BCS game.

ChanHuk

Banned
Two separate NFL scouts say Florida DT Sharrif Floyd is overrated, with one going so far as to call Floyd a media creation.
It's worth noting Floyd had only 4.5 sacks in three college seasons. He's been touted hard by Greg Cosell, Mike Mayock, and Daniel Jeremiah, among others. "Those idiots on TV made Floyd," said one scout. "He's not that good. He's not better than Ziggy Hood." Asked if the Warren Sapp comparisons are valid, another scout replied "No. There's none of that. (Sapp) was just was more gifted than Floyd. Floyd is a good effort player. He's got shorter arms than (Sheldon) Richardson, and I think it shows. He gets kind of Velcroed on blockers."

-rotoworld

They're saying what I've been thinking. Floyd gets all the media hype for no apparent reason other than he's apart of the SEC.

A side note to NFL-GAF: Because of you guys I snagged a 3DS XL this weekend with Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. I trust the gaming opinions of OT way more than Gaming any more.

Thanks for making me poorer.

If you register the XL and Luigis Mansion on Club Nintendo you can get a free game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think the Cardinals should take Chance Warmack.

While their tackles need help, people are saying that Warmack could be an All-Pro level guard but the jury is still out on Lane Johnson as a tackle.

Colasante

Chance Warmack to the Cardinals. Their tackles aren't terrible. Levi Brown was decent in 2011 and Bobby Massie improved as last year went on. Their guards need improvement and Warmack can fit the power run game Arians' will install, and help protect Palmer.

If Lane Johnson is still on the board, that should be the Cardinals pick. Their tackles are far from great. Warmack would be a good selection but I'd go for the premium position if there's a player worth taking and I think Johnson is worth taking.

Can't say I diagree too much on Warmack though. Just to be clear.:)

bionic77

Yeah you definitely want a desktop for a gaming PC.

I made the mistake of buying a "gaming" laptop and while it was neat at first that thing weighed 10 pounds, was incredibly expensive, and was obsolete in a few years.

I know you don't have a lot of time for games but I'm sort of surprised you don't have some beast of a rig sitting around gathering dust already.
Its the time thing.

I used to be big into PC games until I graduated from college. Though I was never into FPS, I was more into Civ, Warcraft, Lucasrts, etc. stuff.

I have pretty much been using laptops for the last 10+ years and not really played any PC games since. And I switched to Mac like 8 years ago. I can't go back until someone makes a better laptop experience. We have a shitty Mac Mini at home, but I just got that for guests to use so they don't fuck up my laptop.

I was just going to get a mid range gaming PC so that it was fast as fuck. I can't see myself spending that much time on Steam and the other stuff.

Talon

Another Amtrak adventure for you, Rors.

Train just literally went through a brushfire. Flames directly adjacent to the tracks.

Gary, Indiana is burning and nobody cares.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Train just literally went through a brushfire. Flames directly adjacent to the tracks.

To be fair, that just sounds like a good start to improving things there.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

rors doesn't care until you're trying to get the phone number of the smelly lady sitting next to you.

So now the story is Albert wants Jake Long money to come to the Phins. Hehe, we could of kept Long if that was the case. So Ireland is now playing the waiting game, he has been told what the team is willing to offer.
Hmm, I don't like the sound of that. Read this on The Daily Dolphin a few days back:

Long wasn’t his usual self in 2012, allowing four sacks in 12 games and having trouble all season with speedy pass rushers. The website Pro Football Focus ranked Long as the 46th-best offensive tackle out of 80.

Albert was certainly better, allowing one sack all season and earning the No. 25 ranking from PFF. But the question must be asked – if Albert is so good, why are the Chiefs looking to trade him and draft an offensive tackle with the No. 1 overall pick?
How much stock should I put in those PFF rankings?

And here are some more thoughts they posted today that attempt to show why Albert isn't wrong to ask for "Jake Long money":

* Albert and Long are both 28.
* Albert allowed one sack in 2012 and was ranked the ninth-best pass-blocking left tackle by Pro Football Focus, while Long allowed four sacks and ranked as the 24th-best pass blocker.
* Albert isn’t a model of health, missing three games last year with a back injury, but he’s definitely less of an injury risk than Long, who has had injuries to his back, shoulder, both knees, biceps and triceps over the past three seasons.
* Long didn’t exactly break the bank with the Rams, who really only guaranteed him $12 million and two years (that number jumps to $16 million if he stays healthy the next two years, which is a big question mark).
So really, Albert may be worth "Jake Long money" more than Jake Long is.

squicken

I think Cards go Lane Johnson if he's there, just for positional value. Warmack, or worst case Fluker, if not. Johnson is the pick

1)Chiefs--Joeckel
2)Jags--Fisher
3)Raiders--Star
4)Eagles--Dion Jordan
5)Lions--Dee Milliner
6)Browns--Sharrif Floyd
7)Cardinals--Lane Johnson
8)Bills--On the Clock

Alright gents, gators, and cats. Time for our Consensus Mock Draft. The idea is that we put ourselves in the shoes of the GM for every team, and pick a player that we feel is best for that team. We aren't trying to figure out what a team will do, but what they should do.

There's no set time limit for each pick. Once we have had enough reasonable and quality debate on a pick, we'll move on. Ideally, fans of each team can weigh in on the fit and needs of the team, but they are just one voice. Anyone with an opinion is encouraged to share. Try to write something a bit more substantial than 140 characters, and be respectful of others (gator). Hope this works out well!

-We are assuming the Revis deals goes through, and includes the #13 pick to NYJ

-We are assuming KC trades Branden Albert to MIA for a second round pick. KC gets a 2nd back but needs a LT, and MIA gets its LT but losses a premium pick

-No other trades. Each team makes its pick

Draxal

Hmm, reading LJ's long ass post in the other thread. I'm going to go with Mingo.

I really think Buffalo wants to trade back here and draft Nassib.

It'll probably easier for them to trade up from the second round into the late first round to pick up Nassib(important due to the 5 year deals first rounders get). Too many sellers not enough buyers.

Colasante

Ryan Nassib to the Bills. Ralph Wilson wants to see a franchise quarterback before he dies, Nassib or Geno Smith won't be there when the Bills pick in round two, Nassib was coached by Doug Marrone at Syracuse. Bills would love to do something like the AJ Green, Andy Dalton double-up, but it's not worth of the risk of losing out on 'their guy'.

For a while now I've been thinking it'd be Geno Smith to the Bills, but he really did struggle in cold weather games, one of which happened to be against Syracuse. I don't know how Marrone could look at that game in the snow, in which Nassib outplayed Smith, and take Smith.

Fantomex

Hmm, I don't like the sound of that. Read this on The Daily Dolphin a few days back:

How much stock should I put in those PFF rankings?

And here are some more thoughts they posted today that attempt to show why Albert isn't wrong to ask for "Jake Long money":

So really, Albert may be worth "Jake Long money" more than Jake Long is.

I say throw the baby out with the bath water, send a 1st, 2nd and 4th this year and move up to Detroits pick. And a conditional 5th next year. Albert wan'ts big money, skip that we can get his type of game from a rookie. we'll just give it to the future anchor. Just pick up Eric Winston as a FA and hope Martin holds up with Lane Johnsson living up to they hype.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ESPN and NFLN will not spoil picks and let the Commish make the announcement.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-n...twork-nfl-draft-plans/?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

YESYESYESYESYES

Last year's draft was more suspenseful than the previous 5 combined. So happy this is happening.

My only problem is when you get analysts "speculating" and you can tell they know exactly who it's going to be.

Edit: Oh, and I'm on board with Nassib to the Bills.

Edit 2:
Markman has told all ESPN NFL staffers not to tweet out selections prior to the announcement of the Commissioner for the first round. The edict is likely to extend into the second round as well.

Wow, this is really good news.

squicken

This is really tough. I think they need a QB and Nassib is the guy, but I think other teams will want him too. Just not this high. So they can get cute and try and move up from the 2nd, or they can just take him now. I think, if they really like him, you take him at 8. Just the way the roster is set up, I would draft Nassib at 8

I say throw the baby out with the bath water, send a 1st, 2nd and 4th this year and move up to Detroits pick. And a conditional 4th next year. Albert wan'ts big money, skip that we can get his type of game from a rookie. we'll just give it to the future anchor. Just pick up Eric Winston as a FA and hope Martin holds up with Lane Johnsson living up to they hype.
Yeah, I think I'm with you on this. How about just a 1st and 2nd though, since the top 10 in this draft is pretty weak? :p

I'll be honest though, if the Phins did go through with the Albert deal I wouldn't mind seeing Eifert picked at 12. It probably wouldn't be the smartest move but it'd be exciting to have a guy like that on the team, and the thought of Tannehill having Wallace, Hartline/Gibson, Keller, and Eifert on the field at the same time is pretty nice.

Draxal

This is really tough. I think they need a QB and Nassib is the guy, but I think other teams will want him too. Just not this high. So they can get cute and try and move up from the 2nd, or they can just take him now. I think, if they really like him, you take him at 8. Just the way the roster is set up, I would draft Nassib at 8

If he's their guy they have to draft him there, I'm just very concerned about having a nfl head coach having his college qb as the qb of the team.

Again - what they WOULD do, or SHOULD do?

No way in hell SHOULD the Bills reach for Nassib with that high of a pick, IMO. They have a wealth of defensive holes to fill and desperately need a wide receiver across from Stevie.

If he's their guy they have to draft him there, I'm just very concerned about having a nfl head coach having his college qb as the qb of the team.
It'd be sort of like Tannehill having Sherman as his offensive coordinator.

So is the latest that the Bills aren't very interested in Geno?

Wes

venison crêpe
Best browns thing Mchay ever said, "cleveland should trade down to 12 grab a 2nd and grab Eifert" would not be opposed this this. Would love it probably.

My ideal draft now would be Rhodes/Eifert/Cooper/Warmack at 11/12. A CB in the second if we didn't get one in the first, with a free safety in the third, Baccari Rambo is the one I like.

eznark

Banned
I actually think the Bills will go Austin here because they seem content to take either Barkley, Nassib or even Manuel and one of (if not all) will be available later at 41. Even if not, it's probably a blessing as you shouldn't waste a pick this high on a guy you aren't sold on.

Their defense got humiliated plenty last year but it seemed more a lack of effort than talent so I like them to go offense and as we said earlier, he's clearly the biggest playmaker around and he plays in the soft as butter AFC East so he won't take the same punishment as if he played in a mans conference.

BigAT

God, this is too good:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Filed to @USATODAYsports: Rolando McClain went all NWA on officers by yelling "F--- the police" before being arrested.

:jnc

Fantomex

Yeah, I think I'm with you on this. How about just a 1st and 2nd though, since the top 10 in this draft is pretty weak? :p

I'll be honest though, if the Phins did go through with the Albert deal I wouldn't mind seeing Eifert picked at 12. It probably wouldn't be the smartest move but it'd be exciting to have a guy like that on the team, and the thought of Tannehill having Wallace, Hartline/Gibson, Keller, and Eifert on the field at the same time is pretty nice.

I would love for them to just take a second and a 1st but that dumb Jimmy Johnson formula for trading pick values still applies. They will want a 4th as well. Especially Detroit at #5. I like Eifert, I really do, but name the last great player to come out of Notre Dame? At 12 he's not worth it. Id rather take a CB. Or trade down 5 picks and see if hes there at 17 overall.

squicken

Again - what they WOULD do, or SHOULD do?

No way in hell SHOULD the Bills reach for Nassib with that high of a pick, IMO. They have a wealth of defensive holes to fill and desperately need a wide receiver across from Stevie.

I made it clear at the end of my post. They need a QB. Nassib is the guy. Don't get cute and miss out on the QB you want chasing value. If it was any other position, I would stay true to absolute BPA. But Kolb isn't a starting QB. They can't risk not getting Nassib

I would love for them to just take a second and a 1st but that dumb Jimmy Johnson formula for trading pick values still applies. They will want a 4th as well. Especially Detroit at #5. I like Eifert, I really do, but name the last great player to come out of Notre Dame? At 12 he's not worth it. Id rather take a CB. Or trade down 5 picks and see if hes there at 17 overall.
You think there's a corner out there worth picking up at 12? Dolphins don't seem too high on Rhodes, and 12 is probably a reach for Trufant, Taylor, or Hayden.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ESPN is really going all out here. One of my main complaints was how the 4th-7th round coverage was terrible and they'd barely mention the players.
1g. Markman said he thought last year's Saturday show (Rounds 4-7) swung too far into an NFL discussion show, so look for ESPN to get more into a pick-by-pick analysis during the later rounds. "You saw guys like [Redskins running back] Alfred Morris on Day Three last year," Markman said. "I think we owe it to the fans to show the highlights of these kids. The highlights are the star and then get Mel and Todd to tell us who they are."

Seems like they're fixing the issue.

jbug617

Banned
Outside of trades, the only teams that should take Austin are Buffalo and the Rams. But those two teams should take him if he is there in a heartbeat.

Don't you think the Jets take a look at Austin now since they have 2 high 1st round picks?

Wes

venison crêpe
Regarding the Bills I saw two new mocks (not from nobodies) recently both suggesting it'd either be Nassib or Barkley at 8. I think Geno's bad play in bad weather has turned them off him.

MechDX

God, this is too good:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Filed to @USATODAYsports: Rolando McClain went all NWA on officers by yelling "F--- the police" before being arrested.

:jnc

I don't get shit like this. You have talent and the physical abilities to play this game and you throw it away by being an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom