• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of the commissioner announcing the pick with a bit of drama. But, like I said before, someone will be spoiling the picks via twitter. So if you can't wait an extra 60 seconds, there's that.
What's the "drama" though? That's where the whole thing loses me. It's no different than a free agency signing announcement teams make. Beat writers and national writers break those hours, sometimes days before the official team announcements. We knew about the Smith trade to Kansas City before Andy Reid had a chance to shit out the 13 Chimichangas he had for lunch after completing the deal.;)

The argument can be made FA signings aren't televised but the way things are going give the NFL time. :jnc

I'll never understand the uproar about "ruining" the surprise of the draft. I don't give a shit. I just want to know who the team picked (my team in particular). If the broadcast happens to tell me 5 minutes before it happens - I couldn't care less. It won't change the rate at which I drink my beer or consume whatever food I happen to have handy at the draft party.

The only thing that bugs me is when the team is on the clock and taking their time to send the word up to the podium. The analysts are all like, "Oh gee I wonder who its gonna be maybe <Insert Player Here> or perhaps they have found a trade partner with the <Insert team here>".

All the while they have a box in the corner showing the player on his phone, shaking hands with his friends and family.

Fucking duh. Its stupid.

The only thing that bugs me is when the team is on the clock and taking their time to send the word up to the podium. The analysts are all like, "Oh gee I wonder who its gonna be maybe <Insert Player Here> or perhaps they have found a trade partner with the <Insert team here>".

All the while they have a box in the corner showing the player on his phone, shaking hands with his friends and family.

Fucking duh. Its stupid.
That's exactly the point. Wasn't there an edict during last years draft where the broadcasts promised not to "ruin" the picks by using Twitter, etc? That's why they look like fools "speculating". Twitter already broke who the pick was 15 minutes ago.;) They are there trying to create drama and speculation when most viewers are likely already on Twitter waiting for the next teams clock to start.

MechDX

https://twitter.com/NotGaryKubiak

Not Gary Kubiak &#8207;@NotGaryKubiak 18 Apr
Too bad about DeAndre Hopkins. He was a perfect fit for my "throw shit against the wall on 3rd & long" offense.

Not Gary Kubiak &#8207;@NotGaryKubiak 28 Mar
@PatDStat if you can convince Wade to let me draft Hopkins, I'll be much obliged.

Not Gary Kubiak&#8207;@NotGaryKubiak
@battleredblog I think you're confused. NFL rules don't allow us to address the offense in the first round.

Gold!

bionic77

nfl_fujita_d1_300.jpg

I would love to visit this place some day
Just do some drugs and take a flight to Denver.

It is probably a lot cheaper this way.

That's exactly the point. Wasn't there an edict during last years draft where the broadcasts promised not to "ruin" the picks by using Twitter, etc? That's why they look like fools "speculating". Twitter already broke who the pick was 15 minutes ago.;)

Twitter should be fine, if you dont want to know dont look at twitter. People are fucking stupid as shit.

What bugs me is how stupid the hosts sound speculating when they have the picks on camera talking to the team before they are selected anyway. Not because its "spoiling" anything but because of the idiocy of it all.

eznark

Banned
What's the "drama" though? That's where the whole thing loses me. It's no different than a free agency signing announcement teams make. Beat writers and national writers break those hours, sometimes days before the official team announcements. We knew about the Smith trade to Kansas City before Andy Reid had a chance to shit out the 13 Chimichangas he had for lunch after complete the deal.;)

The argument can be made FA signings aren't televised but the way things are going give the NFL time. :jnc

Seriously. I watch the draft because I want to see what guys teams take. Why do I give a shit if I get that via TV, twitter or the newspaper. Whichever can get me that info as quickly and efficiently that's what I care about.

On that note, serious question since I know many of us will attend draft parties and what not. If you do, does anyone seriously pay attention to much of what anyone is saying prior to the pick being announced?

I usually go over to a buddies house where 6-8 of us representing various teams spend more time ribbing and talking shit than we do listening to the analysts. The only time we shut up is for the pick announcement and then we're back to shootin' the shit or reading our tablets to see what's being said on twitter.:jnc

On that note, serious question since I know many of us will attend draft parties and what not. If you do, does anyone seriously pay attention to much of what anyone is saying prior to the pick being announced?

I usually go over to a buddies house where 6-8 of us representing various teams spend more time ribbing and talking shit than we do listening to the analysts. The only time we shut up is for the pick announcement and then we're back to shootin' the shit or reading our tablets to see what's being said on twitter.:jnc

My draft parties are off the chaaaaaaain! Me and my laptop party hard.

Still mad I have a test the day after the draft, so I can't watch.

Fantomex

Welcome to all the new people trickling in.

1.Don't take anything personal.
2. Join us in hating on the Pats.
3. Taco Bell
4. Buttfumble

Sal Pal is on 97.5 saying Eagles trade back and draft Austin in the 1st round. I dont see anyway that happens. Him, Djax, and Maclin would be the shortest WRs ever.

Why draft something you already have. Wouldnt getting a big WR be something of target?

On the other hand....CHIP KELLY OFFENSIVE PRODIGY REVOLUTIONIZING NFL TOP 15 OFFENSE.

Seriously on Around the Horn the other day every one of the panelists predicted the Eagles to have a top 15 offense this year. Same dick sucking every year. Someone needs to let the sports media know that the Eagles and Cowboys are perennial losers and will always be shit. How's this for a prediction. Eagles will have the worst offense in the league next year

ChanHuk

Banned
So Dee Milliner is probably not gonna be ready for training camp, the guy seems pretty nicked up, he might drop out of the 1st.

jakncoke

Banned
On the other hand....CHIP KELLY OFFENSIVE PRODIGY REVOLUTIONIZING NFL TOP 15 OFFENSE.

Seriously on Around the Horn the other day every one of the panelists predicted the Eagles to have a top 15 offense this year. Same dick sucking every year. Someone needs to let the sports media know that the Eagles and Cowboys are perennial losers and will always be shit. How's this for a prediction. Eagles will have the worst offense in the league next year

Teams like the Cardinals, Jags..ect make that impossible

Eagles easily had a top 15 offense the last 3 years, even with all OL injuries and Vick TOs

squicken

lol Dee Milliner is not a top 10 pick. In addition to shoulder issue, he has a rod in his tibia, has had a knee scope, and hernia surgery. typical bama player. gets used up by saban's brutal practices

effzee

Sal Pal is on 97.5 saying Eagles trade back and draft Austin in the 1st round. I dont see anyway that happens. Him, Djax, and Maclin would be the shortest WRs ever.

What's his source or basis for this? Just a hunch?

I usually don't get the anger towards Sal Pal but this seems out there. Or maybe he is hinting at the rumors I posted here last week about a possible huge deal between the Eagles and Colts where:

Colts receive Eagles #4 and WR Jeremy Maclin
Eagles receive Colts # 24 pick, a 3rd this year, and the Colts first round pick next year.

Eagles could then take Austin at 24 (if he gets past the Jets and Vikings).

I wouldn't hate the move and obviously if they trade into the mid or late first round he might be the BPA, but I think we are set at WR/RB. Sure adding him would make it even that much more dangerous, exciting, and fun to watch but with so much to do on D and OLINE it would be baffling.

The waffle has a better chance then Geno. I really do think it will be Jordan if ghey cant trade down. Oone of the top 2 OTs would be nice but they will be gone.

What if both Jordan and Fisher are available at 4?

And if they are and Chip passes up on his own guy in Jordan, I wonder if his stock falls further as teams see it as a red flag?

To me if they both are there, I'd flip a coin and pick one. And then the position they don't go for has to be the pick in the 2nd round.

EDIT: A big WR would be more ideal. Someone who can go across the middle and go up for jump balls in the endzone. Is there a guy like that in this years draft?

Mark my words, fellas. It's happening. These guys are all in a circle jerk about how shiny and new their new offense is. Greek yogurt and smoothies isn't gonna fix not having a QB and refusing to give the ball to shady

What's his source or basis for this? Just a hunch?

I usually don't get the anger towards Sal Pal but this seems out there. Or maybe he is hinting at the rumors I posted here last week about a possible huge deal between the Eagles and Colts where:

Colts receive Eagles #4 and WR Jeremy Maclin
Eagles receive Colts # 24 pick, a 3rd this year, and the Colts first round pick next year.

Eagles could then take Austin at 24 (if he gets past the Jets and Vikings).

I wouldn't hate the move and obviously if they trade into the mid or late first round he might be the BPA, but I think we are set at WR/RB. Sure adding him would make it even that much more dangerous, exciting, and fun to watch but with so much to do on D and OLINE it would be baffling.

Floor for Austin is the Rams at 16 but he will almost definitely go before that.

jakncoke

Banned
Greek Yogurt is disgusting. Had like 4 flavors all gross. Regular yogurt is the way to go, thick and creamy being the best, whips being the worst

ChanHuk

Banned
Greek Yogurt is disgusting. Had like 4 flavors all gross. Regular yogurt is the way to go, thick and creamy being the best, whips being the worst

You're from Ohio, never trusting you. Greek Yoghurt is food of the gods. So much better than regular yoghurt. And fuck you, I spell it yogHurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom