• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Whatevs.

ibdiIL2dmkEkAb.jpg

Of course, I like defense.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hitman and Tomb Raider sold 3.5 million copies each.

This was below SE's target and they are "disappointed".

I hate bionic for being right about an impending video game crash.

I just need to stop and finally build one soon. I've had the Newegg tutorials in my Youtube Favorites list for almost two years now, I need to escape this closed garden ghetto.
Everything is color coded anymore. Just read the mobo manual carefully and it's completely impossible to fuck up building a rig unless you have a bad part.

It's insane how much these publishers are expecting considering the current state of consoles. I think things will pick up once the new consoles hit, though. There just seems to be a lot of console fatigue going on right now. That said, 3.5 million for a Tomb Raider reboot should be considered very, very good if you ask me. If that isn't going to cut it then maybe these publishers need to find a way to cut the budgets back (removing multiplayer from TR is a good start).

So many good deals for graphics cards with Bioshock and Tomb Raider included, but I will resist and hang on with my 5870. I think. :(

Anyway, football related... is anyone going to the Draft this year? I tried planning to go last year but never went. I hate that you have to wait the night before and get tickets.

bionic77

Does ez hunt little Mexican girls?
Sexually or with a gun? It could go either way with ez!

It is our fault for letting Sega die. The market would probably be somewhat healthier if we had gaming only companies running shit. But honestly it seems inevitable with the increase in processing power. It is all going towards cloud gaming and open platforms (at least on the hardware side). This idea to focus on graphics was really stupid as well but it allows the big boys to separate themselves from the smaller companies. But now we are at a point where it is just unhealthy.

Bad power supply = : / : / : /.
I had a stick of bad RAM in my last build that was causing all kinds of BSOD's. Had to run memtest for awhile to figure out which was the problem but past that, no issue.

A bad PSU can be a massive headache for sure.:(

Small tip for those building, here's two things you don't go cheap on: PSU and Motherboard. Two most important components in that box and the two things that could make your building life a living hell.

brentech

I had a stick of bad RAM in my last build that was causing all kinds of BSOD's. Had to run memtest for awhile to figure out which was the problem but past that, no issue.

A bad PSU can be a massive headache for sure.:(

Small tip for those building, here's two things you don't go cheap on: PSU and Motherboard. Two most important components in that box and the two things that could make your building life a living hell.

First time builders almost always fuck up motherboard stand-offs if they don't do their research or are trying to build it as all fast in excitement.
Gotta take your time and make sure you have exact number of screws equivilent to the standoffs you put in the case.

Other than that, it's not too hard. I wouldn't say everythings color coded because the last 2 systems I build, not much was. Just have to actually use your motherboard manual (GASP!) and match your case connect pins correctly. Almost everything else only fits one way anyways.

bionic77

What is hard about building a PC these days?

I have not built one in years, but from what I recall as long as everything fits and is compatible with the mobo and case you should be good to go. I doubt there are even any serious driver issues with any modern hardware. I even doubt something fitting is going to be a big deal unless you get one of those monster graphics cards that take up several PCI slots.

The one thing I was always terrified of was static electricity and zapping my ram or other components. I tried to ground myself and hoped that that magic would save my computer hardware. So far have not zapped anything yet. <Knock on wood>

First time builders almost always fuck up motherboard stand-offs if they don't do their research or are trying to build it as all fast in excitement.
Gotta take your time and make sure you have exact number of screws equivilent to the standoffs you put in the case.

Other than that, it's not too hard. I wouldn't say everythings color coded because the last 2 systems I build, not much was. Just have to actually use your motherboard manual (GASP!) and match your case connect pins correctly. Almost everything else only fits one way anyways.
Depends on the motherboard absolutely but a lot them color code most of the connectors. My current Asrock does for instance. As we both mentioned, use the Mobo manual carefully and its pretty damned easy. The days of having to set jumper pin configurations and all of that nonsense are long gone. I've built my last 4 systems and outside of the RAM stick problem I mentioned, I've never run into a problem.

Taking your time definitely helps. The hardest thing to install for me is always the damned fan for the chip itself. I have an H60 in my current rig and it was a bitch to line up on the motherboard for me for some reason. I had a Hyper 212 before and that was pretty straight forward though.

Very little as mentioned. As long you take your time.

Static charge (ESD) killling hardware is extremely unlikely. I'm Sure it's happened to some poor schmuck, but you could probably see an actual static shock and it not hurt a component.
I haven't worn a wrist strap or anything when building any of my last PCs or when working on them. I just touch the case cover every now and then.
Same.

brentech

I have not built one in years, but from what I recall as long as everything fits and is compatible with the mobo and case you should be good to go. I doubt there are even any serious driver issues with any modern hardware. I even doubt something fitting is going to be a big deal unless you get one of those monster graphics cards that take up several PCI slots.

The one thing I was always terrified of was static electricity and zapping my ram or other components. I tried to ground myself and hoped that that magic would save my computer hardware. So far have not zapped anything yet. <Knock on wood>

Static charge (ESD) killling hardware is extremely unlikely. I'm Sure it's happened to some poor schmuck, but you could probably see an actual static shock and it not hurt a component.
I haven't worn a wrist strap or anything when building any of my last PCs or when working on them. I just touch the case cover every now and then.

Nothing is really hard about it, but you can make certain things hard. Like my case isn't made with wire management heavily in mind like some of the modern cases. I went for a budget case so the behind the motherboard on on the back panel gives me minimal space, I had to slide the back panel back on with a shit load of force smashing the cables against it to secure it.

Almost all modern motherboards are smart enough to make room for the larger video cards. I'd say the toughest thing most anyone is going to deal with is large heatsinks if they don't use the standard that comes with the CPU. That's basically it.

Depends on the motherboard absolutely but a lot them color code most of the connectors. My current Asrock does for instance.
Hrm, I just built with the ASRock Extreme4 and its not really color coded at all. Maybe depends which plugs you mean. I consider the main motherboard connector and other 8 pin or cpu fans simplistic, while case connections are a small pain of just checking and rechecking the reference images.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The hardest part of building a PC is getting the CPU cooler to mount. I guess that varies from brand to brand but I had an interesting time getting my Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 to finally go on.

Everything after that is a joke. I do recommend people buying full towers though just to make the process easier (and they look so much cooler!).

Dragon

Banned
The hardest part of building a PC is getting the CPU cooler to mount. I guess that varies from brand to brand but I had an interesting time getting my Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 to finally go on.

Everything after that is a joke. I do recommend people buying full towers though just to make the process easier (and they look so much cooler!).

I'm tempted to go mini-ATX with my next build, but if that's the case I might as well go with that Alienware box and save myself the heart ache of cutting custom parts.

Hrm, I just built with the ASRock Extreme4 and its not really color coded at all. Maybe depends which plugs you mean. I consider the main motherboard connector and other 8 pin or cpu fans simplistic, while case connections are a small pain of just checking and rechecking the reference images.
Which model? I'm using an Extreme 4 from a few years ago. Mine has all of the little connections at the bottom along with SATA connections all color coded. (USB blue, SATA red, case power connections pink etc. )

Here's my current case:

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case/obsidian-series-800d.html

Love it to death and I spent on it so I wouldn't have to worry about buying another one when I decide to change the parts out and rebuild. It's roomy as hell and I love the wire management.

brentech

Yep. 212 Evo is what I have too. Just a pain because it's so large that you have to do that back of the motherboard bracket for extra support. Even after that you're trying to work around that massive heatsink and if you have big fingers it's just a little tough to work around while trying to to shift it much due to the easy glide of fresh thermal paste.

I lucked out with my build. With the Hyper 212+ cooler there wasn't enough space for 4 sticks of RAM on my mobo, but I had 2x8GB sticks instead of 4x4GB.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Good. The industry deserves to crash. There's no reason video games should be getting $30 million budgets. Never mind the massive closures of dev houses this generation.

I love video games but it's absolutely ridiculous.

Good. The industry deserves to crash. There's no reason video games should be getting $30 million budgets. Never mind the massive closures of dev houses this generation.

I love video games but it's absolutely ridiculous.
Why shouldn't video games have $30m budgets? Games are every bit as big as films now.

Milchjon

NFL owners nearly bankrupted by cost of keeping teams alive:

Forbes has issued its annual list of worldwide billionaires. Not surprisingly, more than a few of them own NFL teams. The richest of all NFL owners, via SportsBusiness Daily, is Allen, at a whopping $15 billion.

A full 11 figures in the distance is Rams owner Stan Kroenke, at $5.0 billion. (Coupled with wife Ann Walton Kroenke’s $4.5 billion, that’s a $9.5 billion power couple.)

The bronze is shared by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer, both of whom are listed at a net worth of $4.4 billion.

Next on the list is Jaguars owner Shahid Khan, at $2.9 billion. Giants co-owner Joan Tisch also has a net worth of $2.9 billion.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is worth $2.7 billion, followed by Patriots owner Robert Kraft ($2.3 billion), Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III ($1.8 billion), Texans owner Bob McNair ($1.8 billion), Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti ($1.8 billion), Falcons owner Arthur Blank ($1.6 billion), Colts owner Jim Irsay ($1.5 billion), Titans owner Bud Adams ($1.2 billion), Saints owner Tom Benson ($1.2 billion), 49ers co-owner Denise York ($1.1 billion), Redskins owner Dan Snyder ($1.0 billion), and Chargers owner Alex Spanos ($1.0 billion).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why shouldn't video games have $30m budgets? Games are every bit as big as films now.

Only a very select few actually come close to (or equal) pulling in movie income. The vast, vast majority of games don't.

Greg

bionic77

just got my glasses

holy shit this is weird
Welcome to the family!

I have shit vision and am afraid to get Lasik or any surgery on my eyes.

The bad. You look worse with glasses. The good. You will look smarter just wearing glasses. Might even convince a girl a or two that you are not some sconi with hay in your hair and are worthy of a one night stand.

Greg

Welcome to the family!

I have shit vision and am afraid to get Lasik or any surgery on my eyes.

The bad. You look worse with glasses. The good. You will look smarter just wearing glasses. Might even convince a girl a or two that you are not some sconi with hay in your hair and are worthy of a one night stand.
Yeah, the doc mentioned that. Not on my eyes - I've seen Final Destination 5!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom