• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fire Emblem is awesome.
Yes, another convert! Welcome to the club.

I played an hour of Ni No Kuni yesterday, man it hooked me with the story right away. Last game that did that was Mass Effect 2. And I haven't even begun to scratch the surface man. I was about to get teary eyed. But then I remembered Dolphin fans are out of tears since 95. It's really good doe! I already read up on the Pokemon portion of it and started coming up with some names for these fake Pokemans.

1. Tyke Myson
  2. Pickledickle
  3. Tomax
  4. Xamot
  5. Biggie Smalls
  6. Noodles
  7. Mudbutt
  8. Beefy
  9. Nathaniel Hornblower
  10. El Fuego
  11. Lowres

Man I got names for days.
Glad you're enjoying it, man. The good thing about that game is it just keeps getting better as you go. Once the world map really opens up it's a real treat.

EDIT: ESPN did a blogger mock draft and James Walker traded up for the Dolphins to get Eric Fisher. That sounds like a cool idea and all, but then I saw this:

So I kept in touch with AFC West blogger Bill Williamson with the Oakland Raiders at No. 3 and NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert with the Detroit Lions at No. 5. I decided to go big with Fisher, who I really wanted. I traded Miami’s first-round pick, second-round pick and two third-rounders to move up to No. 3 for Fisher. It's a steep price, but Miami takes protecting quarterback Ryan Tannehill seriously.
I know it's important to ensure that Tannehill is well protected this year but that is a hefty price tag. I don't know, I'd really hate to see the Phins spend that many picks to make a move like this.

Wes

venison crêpe
Ireland* has this year to keep his job. He's going to want a LT. I don't think they'll trade up to 3 but Eagles at 4 or Browns at 6 are highly possible.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So ready for some draft, so close

Its the Lions annual SuperBowl. A popular Lions forum had a draft thread ready to go in November.

The last couple of years I've tried to take off for the draft, but this year I'll be at work following by phone.

As long as the Lions don't take Ansah at #5 I'll be a happy man tmrw.

I know it's important to ensure that Tannehill is well protected this year but that is a hefty price tag. I don't know, I'd really hate to see the Phins spend that many picks to make a move like this.

The only thing we will see on draft day is the illusion of two steps forward

When really in three years we will realize this day was taking ten steps back

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
McGinn's Scout Ratings of DBs

CB--Milliner consensus top guy

S

Welcome to Detroit, Dee.

Kastrioti said:
Its the Lions annual SuperBowl. A popular Lions forum had a draft thread ready to go in November.

The last couple of years I've tried to take off for the draft, but this year I'll be at work following by phone.

As long as the Lions don't take Ansah at #5 I'll be a happy man tmrw.

I see we're all on the same page.

bionic77

Those Cowboys teams were absurdly complete. People talk up the 2007 Patriots but the early 90s Cowboy teams under Jimmy Johnson were probably better. I absolutely love it that Jerry Jones has deluded himself into thinking he had anything to do with it when he should have given Jimmy Johnson a lifetime contract and built a statue of him out front.

I mean, Jerry Jones and Barry Switzer had to buy off Neil O'Donnell with hookers and blow for that third ring!
I don't think we are ever going to see a super team like that Cowboys team from the 90s ever again. You just cannot pay that many talented players at the same time under the current cap. I think the best you can do is have a super team on one side of the ball. But having a team where you are elite at pretty much every position (and with depth as well) will probably never happen again. I honestly think that team was so good that any coach could have won a SB with them. I mean they would literally run the ball like 13 times in a row to score TDs to put games away.

I think it is a good thing we don't see those super teams anymore. Especially for me because I am a fan of a small market team!

Welcome to Detroit, Dee.

Already calling it on those 3 corners Detroit drafted last year? I don't think the secondary is in as bad shape as everyone seems to think (minus scrubby Delmas). Bentley will be healthy and provide some life this year, Green got some good experience last year, and we'll get to see Greenwood for the first time this year. The team has to go O-line or DE in the first round and you know it. If Fischer and Joekel are both gone (likely) hopefully they trade back a little bit and pick up Warmack or Cooper. No way can they draft a CB in the first round. Would be taking a dump all over the 3 picks they used on corner last year

I made picks but I dont see how to join a group.

Go to Groups>find ours in the list, click on it>

z6lhjho.png

On the right is the join group button. You might have to fill in your picks again though.

Don't Join draft 2013, that was just to show where the button is, we are The Neogaf League

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Already calling it on those 3 corners Detroit drafted last year? I don't think the secondary is in as bad shape as everyone seems to think (minus scrubby Delmas). Bentley will be healthy and provide some life this year, Green got some good experience last year, and we'll get to see Greenwood for the first time this year. The team has to go O-line or DE in the first round and you know it. If Fischer and Joekel are both gone (likely) hopefully they trade back a little bit and pick up Warmack or Cooper. No way can they draft a CB in the first round. Would be taking a dump all over the 3 picks they used on corner last year

Yes, I'm "calling it" on those picks--at least as starters for now. Milliner is the best CB in this draft and would be an immediate help in the secondary. I don't see how you can count on guys who haven't really done much to come in and shore up this terrible secondary right away. Milliner is a guy who can do that.

I'd love to go OT in the draft--it's not happening. Joeckel and Fisher will be gone unless Detroit trades up.

No way do I go DE at 5. Ansah has "bust" written all over him and Werner isn't even close to being worth that pick at 5.

I'd absolutely prefer Warmack at 5 over anybody else available at that point. If I were Mayhew, I'd run the card up to the podium myself. I just don't see it happening.

Yes, I'm "calling it" on those picks--at least as starters for now. Milliner is the best CB in this draft and would be an immediate help in the secondary. I don't see how you can count on guys who haven't really done much to come in and shore up this terrible secondary right away. Milliner is a guy who can do that.

I'd love to go OT in the draft--it's not happening. Joeckel and Fisher will be gone unless Detroit trades up.

No way do I go DE at 5. Ansah has "bust" written all over him and Werner isn't even close to being worth that pick at 5.

I'd absolutely prefer Warmack at 5 over anybody else available at that point. If I were Mayhew, I'd run the card up to the podium myself. I just don't see it happening.

I'm not necessarily counting on those guys, just looking at it from the way Schwartz and staff would see it.

Mayhew had his little pre draft presser thing last week and talked about it not being out of the possibility to draft something like a guard in the top 10 because f the new rookie salary cap. I'm really really really hoping that means he is leaning towards Warmack. The team can virtually move Reiff anywhere but Center. So with drafting Warmack we would move Reiff to LT (where I think he will be just super), Warmack to RG and either Hilliard or Fox to RT. Detroit would just need to find a replacement for Dom and the line would be in pretty good shape. And Warmack is a mauler. He would be spectacular in the run game

Giants have upped their offer to Cruz to 8 million annually. 15-18 million in guaranteed money:

http://www.giants101.com/2013/04/24...on-annually-with-15-18-million-in-guarantees/

On Tuesday, John Clayton of ESPN reported that the New York Giants and wide receiver Victor Cruz could have reached an agreement by the end of the day. Not so surprisingly, that didn't happen. However, that's not to say there wasn't any movement in the talks as Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. have upped their offer to the restricted free agent (RFA) and are now offering him a deal worth nearly $8 million annually with $15-18 million in guarantees.

This new offer is worth approximately $1 million more annually than the previous $7+ million deal offered, and includes slightly more guaranteed money than the previous report of between $12 – $15 million. Unfortunately, Cruz appears to be standing firm on his demand for between $10 – $11 million annually, while also seeking more than $21 million in guarantees.

Tyler Eifert - TE - Player
ESPN's Adam Schefter wouldn't be shocked if Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert was a top-10 pick.
It's a good time to be the consensus top tight end available. The position is all the rage in the NFL these days and teams are scurrying to get two talented ones on their roster. The Browns at No. 6, Bills at No. 8, Jets at Nos. 9 and 13, Dolphins at No. 12 and Steelers at 17 all have needs at tight end.
Draft

effzee

Final prediction before the draft:

Dion Jordan
EJ Manuel

Not sure if they trade back in but I think somehow those two will be the first two players Eagles pick. Eagles address starting tackle and guard depth in round 3 and beyond.

EJ won't play right away unless he really shines like Wilson did last year. IMO Vick starts the season till he either gets hurt of they are out of contention for any playoff push, whichever comes first. Foles will be the backup to whoever starts.

Final prediction before the draft:

Dion Jordan
EJ Manuel

Not sure if they trade back in but I think somehow those two will be the first two players Eagles pick. Eagles address starting tackle and guard depth in round 3 and beyond.

EJ won't play right away unless he really shines like Wilson did last year. IMO Vick starts the season till he either gets hurt of they are out of contention for any playoff push, whichever comes first. Foles will be the backup to whoever starts.
I think Kyle Long could be a potential target before EJ too, I'm gonna predict you guys draft none of those players....

Thats a fair offer. I would let him walk or trade him rather than pay 11 million per year. That is too much for a wide receiver.
Yep. I mentioned earlier in the thread Cruz should hold out for 8-8.5 million/yr as the Giants tried to low ball him at 7. He'll likely try to negotiate for more guaranteed money which I think the Giants are prepared to do. I predict the final contract will be in the 8-8.5/yr region with money in the 18-20 million guaranteed range.

They have Hakeem Nicks to sign after 2013, afterall.

KingGondo

Banned
Drafting Eifert without trading back would be a mistake IMO. Browns have far bigger needs than TE, and it reminds me of what Bill Barnwell said in his column last week: good teams forge their own identities and try different things, rather than trying to copy what other teams have had success with. There's very little chance Eifert is even as good as Aaron Hernandez, much less Gronk.

If we can't trade back, I'd like the Browns to get Milliner. Having two CBs of the caliber of Haden and Milliner will make the newly-acquired D-line guys more effective, and this is a passing league now. Hell, it'll even make Weeden better since he'll have to practice against those guys.

I don't expect it would be that much. Probably 12, one 2nd and one 3rd and maybe a 4th next year.

Speaking of Jets, did anyone post GRRMs rant about the Revis trade?

It is hard to be a fan of the New York Jets.

They have hardly done anything right since Joe Willie Namath won SuperBowl III, and every time you think maybe they are finally turning the corner, they find some new way to screw things up.

Today the Jets traded Darrelle Revis, the best cornerback in the NFL and far and away the best player on the team. It is never a good idea to trade the best player on your team. The Jets desperately need a shut-down corner, since they do not have a real pass-rush threat, and the only way they ever get any pressure on the opponent's QB is by shutting down his receivers long enough for the rushers to get there. Revis was a huge part of the reason why Rex Ryan's defense has been so good (ups and downs, sure, but still one of the better defenses in the league). So they get rid of him Right.

Only the Jets. They have a pretty good defense and a godawful offense, so what's their big offseason move? "Hey, let's get rid of our best player, bring the D down to the same level as the O."

Now, maybe, MAYBE, you can make a case for trading Revis if you get a "Herschel Walker" deal. That is, a deal as rich as the one where the Dallas Cowboys traded RB Herschel Walker to the Vikings, and got so many players and draft choices that it won them three SuperBowls. And it is worth noting that Herschel Walker, while a damn good player, was neither the best player on the Cowboys nor the best running back in the NFL at that time.

But the Jets did not get a Herschel Walker deal. Revis is going to Tampa Bay. In return, the Jets get Tampa's first round draft choice this year (#13 overall, not even a top ten pick) and a conditional fourth round pick next year. Yeah, NEXT YEAR. Yeah, I said FOURTH round. Maybe it becomes a third. Whoop-de-doo.

The Jets, in short, got rooked. Congrats, Tampa Bay GM, you drank our milkshake.

And what about the new Jets GM? Fire his ass now. Bring back Mike Tannenbaum. Bring back the guy before Mike Tannenbaum. Hell, bring back Harry Wismer.

The best theory about this trade is that the Jets want the #1 pick overall in the 2014 draft. Cause this next season is going to be bloody painful. After which our new whizz-bang "let's give away our best player for a bag of old jockstraps" GM is going to fire Rex Ryan because, after all, that 2 - 14 record is clearly Rex's fault.

The year after that is likely to be even worse, even with that swell fourth-round-maybe-it-becomes-a-third we'll be getting from Tampa Bay. That is, assuming Kal-El Son of Jor-El isn't coming out in next year's draft. And even if he was, the Jets wouldn't take him. All that green would remind him too much of kryptonite.

Sigh.

Excuse me, while I go weep into my beer.

Colasante

DeAndre Hopkins to the Vikings. He'd be a great complimentary receiver to Greg Jennings.

Jason La Canfora has come and out said he plans to tweet up a storm during the draft, and will definitely tip the picks ahead of time. So it's probably in everyone's best interest to unfollow and block him if they intend to look at twitter during the draft.

“Honestly, I would call it miserable,” Pead said of his rookie season, via the University of Cincinnati official website. “Miserable life. Miserable four-five months.”

When the season finally ended, Pead packed up and left.

“I took off and I didn’t come back until it was time to,” Pead said. “I just wanted to stay out of this area, I came back for a couple days to pack up then all the memories and walking back into my house by myself, had a couple days by myself, I just needed to get out of that area.”

Pead is partially responsible for his misery. He didn’t deal well with being demoted behind a guy taken 202 spots later, showing up late for a pair of meetings.

“I was literally fed up with football,” Pead said. “Not a quitter, not quitting, I was just tired of football. Tired of practice for the day and I would just lay there play video games and whatnot because it was so miserable, so stressful.”

With a fresh opportunity coming from the departure of Jackson, Pead is ready to turn the page.

“Whole new era, whole new attitude, whole new team, whole new Pead,” Pead said. ”I’m not going to sit and linger on something, but I am one to not forget about a situation. I am moving on from last year, last year is last year, but I have not forgot about last year. I wouldn’t call it revenge, but the chip that I put on my shoulder is just a little bigger.”

Lulz that's squickens boy!

Go to Groups>find ours in the list, click on it>

z6lhjho.png

On the right is the join group button. You might have to fill in your picks again though.

Don't Join draft 2013, that was just to show where the button is, we are The Neogaf League

I dont get it. I click on the NeoGAF Draft (Shirtless Edition) but there is no join button. Maybe it is a chrome thing?

Draxal

I don't expect it would be that much. Probably 12, one 2nd and one 3rd and maybe a 4th next year.

Speaking of Jets, did anyone post GRRMs rant about the Revis trade?

Grrm is a fan of the Jets and the Giants at the same time, that's like wearing a steelers hat with a ravens jersey.

I don't pay attention to his football ramblings.

I dont get it. I click on the NeoGAF Draft (Shirtless Edition) but there is no join button. Maybe it is a chrome thing?

You're sure you're not already in the group :p ?

And did you already have to fill in the password somewhere, or not even that? You can also PM me your email, so I can invite you into the group, maybe that that works?

Edit: If you have a different browser, you can try it with that, but I think other GAF'ers who joined already also use Chrome.

Draxal

Eh, they're in different conferences so it's not really a rivalry.

You just don't have two teams as a fan. I can see being a fan of a player (Tabris), or bailing out on a team when you just can't take their incompetence anymore (Squicken); but that's too much for me.

Info on James Harrison contract with the Bengals:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 5m

Will take James Harrison 2yrs, if he's healthy to make the $4.3M PIT had on the table. He has$1.4M base, $1.2M sign bonus, $400K other bonus

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 4m

In 2014 Harrison has $1.1M base, and can earn $350K in other bonuses. A total of $1.2M of the deal with CIN is guaranteed

Should have taken the pay cut, James.

EDIT: Also, Chiefs/Dolphins resume trade talks:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 25m

As @Edwerderespn reported, Chiefs-Dolphins resumed trade talks for Branden Albert. This is like Revis deal: has to happen.

bionic77

Info on James Harrison contract with the Bengals:

Should have taken the pay cut, James.

EDIT: Also, Chiefs/Dolphins resume trade talks:
Thats fucking cheap for Harrison...

If he stays healthy I can easily see him getting 8 sacks and being good all around at everything else.

La Canfora gives no fucks and says he'll be tweeting/tipping picks before they happen despite ESPN/NFLN saying they won't:

"We're not a broadcast partner for the draft," La Canfora said. "I will be trying to get the information out as quickly and accurately as possible. What event is made more for Twitter than the NFL draft? If the teams have the information; if the guys in the production truck have the information; if the commissioner has the information; why wouldn't passionate football fans want it as well?"

Agree wholeheartedly, La Canasta.

Thats fucking cheap for Harrison...

If he stays healthy I can easily see him getting 8 sacks and being good all around at everything else.

Are the Bungles in a LeBeau esque 3-4 this year? I think asking James Harrison to learn anything new at this point in his life/career is asking for trouble, even if it's less complicated in theory. Hopefully he doesnt bring his guns to the practice field

bionic77

Are the Bungles in a LeBeau esque 3-4 this year? I think asking James Harrison to learn anything new at this point in his life/career is asking for trouble, even if it's less complicated in theory. Hopefully he doesnt bring his guns to the practice field
I think they run a 4-3. He is probably just going to be used on 3rd down. But if he racks up the sacks 1 million and change is the bargain of the century.

He is really dumb and has problems picking up new things so hopefully it crashes and burns. And I say that as his biggest fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom