• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still the GOAT

*Applauds*

I thought Peterson would get it.

Edit: Also, two straight years with Detroit Lions on the cover. Stafford needs to make it a trifecta next year.

Well, maybe for the XL edition.

Still the GOAT

Walter-payton-1-sized.jpg

squicken

*Applauds*

I thought Peterson would get it.

Edit: Also, two straight years with Detroit Lions on the cover. Stafford needs to make it a trifecta next year.

Well, maybe for the XL edition.

Testament to the Lions how they waste great careers. I'm not dogging your team but a whole lot of stupidity during the Fontes era

Godslay

Banned
In a Cover 2, which MIN plays and where I keep seeing him rumored, that 40 time does matter. I just don't think you take such a scheme limited player in the first round

But they don't play cover 2 exclusively. His speed is fine for the position, maybe a little slow, but ultimately fine. There are players that have played the position just fine, that have been slower.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Testament to the Lions how they waste great careers. I'm not dogging your team but a whole lot of stupidity during the Fontes era

Oh, I agree completely. Barry would have played a other 3-4 years if management wasn't horrendous.

effzee

Thing that I don't get is how all these analysts project one of the left tackles going to the Eagles but fail to mention or acknowledge that if they do select one, he would have to play RT not LT.

And with that scenario in mind I can see the Eagles waiting till later rounds for a RT, trading down for Fluker who is already a RT, or not addressing it significantly at all in this years draft since rumor is they like how their OLINE is shaping up so far.

Lane Johnson makes more sense than Fisher or Joeckel at this point because with his athleticism and history of playing multiple positions (DE and TE) he won't be as locked down to playing LT and can be moved around until he is groomed to take over for Peters.

With all that said I still think its Dion Jordan if he is there. Mingo would shock me since he is a lesser Jordan by most accounts and Sharif Floyd fits far better in a 4-3 than a 3-4. Star wouldn't be a shock either though he seems to have dropped from most people's top 10. Maybe if the Eagles trade down with SD or Miami they can pick from the likes of Milliner, Star, and Fluker which would be amazing since those guys were locked into the top 10 just last month.

Also I will be at work tomorrow until 830pm and won't get home till 930. I am DVR-ing both ESPN and NFLN's coverage. I will be on a media blackout until I get to watch it on my own since the Eagles will have picked by the time I get home. I don't know if this is approved behavior but damnit its an event to me!

bionic77

I agree with Mayock on Teo. Despite his irrelevant 40 time, and fake GF he has always struck me as a smart football player, and thats what you need from your ILB.

I hope T'eo falls to Detroit in the 2nd but I think he's gaining a little momentum going ino draft night so he'll probably be gone.

Please no. :( We can get comparable talent with the second round of DE's, grab a guard if Milliner, Joekcel, Fischer or Dion Jordan are gone.
Slow ILBs will get embarassed in coverage and when trying to tackle fast RBs like shady.

You have to be really smart to make up for it. I think Teo is more of a 3rd round guy myself. A depth guy and someone who can start on some teams in the middle. Weak and slow is not a good combo in the NFL. The only guy who made it work is the qb for the Pats.

ChanHuk

Banned
Someone tell me all about Aaron Curry.

Why does he suck?

He has a degenerative disease in his knees. I liked his energy and he ended Marcus McNeil's career with that insane hit in 2011. He was good against the run but was horrible against the pass. He was supposed to be the next sure thing LB, but he's really not it. He was one of those athletic specimens but couldn't get it to click.

UberTag

Jason Cole says Lions want to trade up for Ansah to #3, and SF could trade up to the Jets spot, presumably to get Austin
Somebody's going to trade up to either the Dolphins or the 2nd Jets pick at 12-13 to nab Austin. Good luck figuring out which team it will be, though.

Why would the Lions feel compelled to leapfrog Philly to grab Ansah when they'd likely get him by staying pat at #5?
I could see them making that move to grab one of the tackles or Jordan... but Ansah?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I really can't tell anymore with Grossi if he's trolling or not but anyways what he tweeted:

If rumors true, #Browns will give up picks for WR Davone Bess and more picks for Oak No. 1. At that rate, nothing left Fri-Sat. #yipee

Godslay

Banned
Slow ILBs will get embarassed in coverage and when trying to tackle fast RBs like shady.

You have to be really smart to make up for it. I think Teo is more of a 3rd round guy myself. A depth guy and someone who can start on some teams in the middle. Weak and slow is not a good combo in the NFL. The only guy who made it work is the qb for the Pats.

If you use his second time 40 time, he is dead average for all the prospects at his position in the draft. One of the best shuttle times for his position, 2nd highest vertical, but he didn't lift. He's one of the most intuitive out of the group. I don't know where he should be taken, but the knocks on him are overstated imo.

bionic77

If you use his second time 40 time, he is dead average for all the prospects at his position in the draft. One of the best shuttle times for his position, 2nd highest vertical, but he didn't lift. He's one of the most intuitive out of the group. I don't know where he should be taken, but the knocks on him are overstated imo.
He is a ILB though. Unless he is spectacular I would not get him before the 3rd.

It's so easy to take those guys out of the equation if you spread a team out.

squicken

I really can't tell anymore with Grossi if he's trolling or not but anyways what he tweeted:

MIA guy said it's a done deal, but won't be formalized until after draft. Bess to CLE but for like a 5th or 6th. Nothing to get salty about
---

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo
Hearing that goal for ATL in possible trade up is a DE/pass rusher. Best ATL can do is prob 22 or 23, putting them in range for Bjorn Werner

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
MIA guy said it's a done deal, but won't be formalized until after draft. Bess to CLE but for like a 5th or 6th. Nothing to get salty about
---

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo
Hearing that goal for ATL in possible trade up is a DE/pass rusher. Best ATL can do is prob 22 or 23, putting them in range for Bjorn Werner

Oh I'm not salty about it at all. Just I can't ever tell with Grossi any more.

~~~~~

MORE BROWNS HUB BUB FOR WES!

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500_zps2d881320.gif

Hearing some chatter from multiple NFL sources that the Raiders may be trying to trade down from 3 overall... w/ Browns as possible partner

If Cleveland trades up to get the Raiders' pick at 3, I believe Browns are targeting Ansah

ChanHuk

Banned
T'eo will be like that convict McClain, he needs big bodies up front to take up blockers because they suck at shedding blocks. They're also both too slow to go sideline to sideline.

Plinko

Kosher salty. If only Matt Millen were still there, former Raider great that loves WRs. He'd trade up and grab Tavon Austin. DO IT.

That being said, I'm trading in Luigi to Amazon and getting Fire Emblem.

Of course Millen would. And Fire Emblem is a classic.

Godslay

Banned
True three down linebackers are rare and so are first round draft picks. Te'o will be a decent two down guy. There's no shame in that.

I agree. I just don't get the knocks on his speed. Girlfriend thing sure, but his athletic ability and game intelligence are fine. Trust me this is coming from a guy that hates ND.

effzee

Not everyone can have a Patrick Willis, Aldon smith, Ahmad brooks or Navarro bowman on their team! But one team has all 4!

You only have to be terrible for a better part of a decade!

Oh god I hope that isn't Gamble's plan to rebuild our D :(

And now to further highlight how terrible our D has been thanks to Reid/Banner/Heckert/Howie's drafts:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-p...les-defensive-woes-result-epic-draft-failures

It’s no coincidence the Eagles had one of the NFL’s worst defenses last year.

It didn’t just happen out of the blue.

It was the product of bad drafting.

Not just a year or two. Not just a few years. We’re looking at a decade of terrible draft picks on the defensive side of the ball.

The Eagles haven’t drafted an impact player on defense in eight years, an astounding turn of events from a franchise built on tough, hard-nosed physical defense over much of the last 30 years.

No wonder they couldn’t stop anybody last year. Year after year of drafting marginal players on defense finally caught up to the Eagles last year, when they ranked 29th in the NFL in scoring defense – worst in franchise history – and lost 10 of their last 11 games, finishing 4-12.

Now they’ve got a new head coach, their fourth defensive coordinator since the tragic death of Jim Johnson after the 2008 season, and a new defensive philosophy.

But do they have the players? And can they get them?

Let’s take a look at the Eagles’ defensive drafting over the past several years and see how they got themselves into this mess.

• None of the last 35 players the Eagles have drafted on defense has gone to a Pro Bowl. The last Pro Bowl defender the Eagles drafted was defensive end Trent Cole, back in 2005.

• The Eagles haven’t selected an impact player on defense in the first four rounds of the draft in 11 years, since Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown and Michael Lewis in 2002. Since then, they’ve drafted 25 players on defense in rounds one through four. Only one – Mike Patterson – has even become a regular, productive, long-term starter.

• The Eagles have used five first-round picks on defensive players in the last decade. Jerome McDougle was a total bust, Patterson a long-term starter, Brodrick Bunkley a borderline bust and too soon to say on Brandon Graham or Fletcher Cox. Going back 20 years, only two of the Eagles’ last 11 first-round defensive picks ever reached a Pro Bowl (Sheppard and Corey Simon).

• The Eagles’ last seven second-round picks on defense are Matt McCoy, Victor Abiamiri, Trevor Laws, Nate Allen, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Mychal Kendricks and Vinny Curry. Quite a group. The jury is obviously still out on Curry and Kendricks, both taken last year, but in all, those seven players have combined for just 72 starts in an Eagles uniform – about 10 per player.

• Defensive players the Eagles have taken in the third round since 2000: Curtis Marsh, Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, Bryan Smith, Stewart Bradley, Chris Gocong, Matt Ware and Derrick Burgess. Bradley was a starter for a few years and Burgess had a great postseason in 2004, but the Eagles haven’t drafted an impact defensive player in the third round since Jeremiah Trotter in 1998. That’s 15 years ago.

• Fourth-rounders in recent years? Get a load of this group: Jamaal Green, J.R. Reed, Sean Considine, Jack Ikegwuonu, Quintin Demps, Keenan Clayton, Trevard Lindley and Casey Matthews. Sure, they’re only fourth-round picks, but you’d think one of them might pan out? The last elite defender the Eagles took in the fourth round was William Thomas in 1991.

The Eagles are one of only five NFL teams that hasn’t drafted at least one Pro Bowl defensive player in the first four rounds in the last 10 years (along with the Buccaneers, Rams, Browns and Dolphins).

They’re also among only eight teams that hasn’t drafted a single Pro Bowl defensive player since 2006. The others are the Dolphins, Browns, Jaguars, Vikings, Falcons, Buccaneers and Rams.

Think about this:

From 1986 through 1991, the Eagles drafted Jerome Brown, Eric Allen, Seth Joyner, Clyde Simmons and Thomas.

From 1995 through 1998, they drafted Bobby Taylor, Jeremiah Trotter and Brian Dawkins.

From 2000 through 2005, they drafted Corey Simon, Sheppard, Brown, Lewis and Cole (as well as Burgess, a two-time Pro Bowler with the Raiders).

Since 2006?

Not a single defensive stud. Not a single impact player. Not a single star. That’s forced them to dip way too much into free agency and over-pay for failures like Jason Babin, Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (acquired through trade).

Perhaps Cox or Kendricks will develop into that kind of player. Perhaps Graham will build on the success he had the second half of last year. Perhaps the Eagles will pick Sharrif Floyd, Dion Jordan, Star Lotulelei or Ziggy Ansah at No. 4 on Thursday, and he’ll become an all-pro.

Until they find some players, the coach may change, the GM may change, the system may change, but the result won’t change. They won’t be able to stop anybody.

Really need Cox, Kendricks, and Graham to play up to potential for them to have any chance at a turn around. Whoever they add to this group starting tomorrow better be a day 1 impact player.

LJ11

Te'o actually played in a cover 2 system, or rather a heavy split safety system. Conservative as hell, dropping way deep, everything in front of you. Thing is, he was never the prime cover guy in that system. He'd drop deep but you rarely saw him run up the seam with a TE. Lots of quarters coverage, safety had his back. ND rarely blitzed their OLB, they were more cover guys than pass rushers. They used Slaughter as an OLB even though he's a SS, so they could keep TE/Y in check. Spond was used in that position, dog backer, this year and he did a pretty good job, guy to keep an eye on. Dog backer is the cover guy at ND, Cat is the pass rusher.

Bottom line, Teo didn't have to cover a lot of ground in the pass game, he had help and better guys around to help him out. Learned my lesson with Rolando, who looked like a good cover guy. In hindsight all Bama did was play man free and have Rolando rob/rat the middle of the field, he never had to go sideline to sideline with anyone. Saban knew how to use him, or rather, he had so much talent around him that he didn't need to do a whole lot.

UberTag

Hey LJ11... what are your thoughts on the Bills reaching on Nassib at #8 and not being able to trade down or trade back into the 1st to grab him later?

Someone tell me all about Aaron Curry.

Why does he suck?

You're not doing it right, Kave. You're not supposed to mention Aaron Curry, refer to Aaron Curry, talk about Aaron Curry or think about Aaron Curry.

So stop asking about Aaron Curry.

I am now hungry for Indian food for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom