• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like (I don't love any of them):
1. Eifert (I guess we need a TE so sure)
2. Milliner (if he's sliding I'd grab him at 17)
3. Trading down for more picks

No way:
1. Teo
no
2. Lacy
fucking
3. Patterson (even though he was our mock pick)
way

Tamanon

Banned
It's all starting to run together but every team report on NFL network has been "They plan to draft the best player available or try to trade down"

My crazy prediction for the day:

The Lions will take Tavon Austin at #5 either as a way to swap picks with a WR hungry team so we can move down and get more picks OR we draft and keep the most explosive offensive player and add him to one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

:kas

I love how the most explosive offense in the league coupled with the most devastating d-line in the league went 4-12 last year.

TheFatOne

I could see the Browns trading a few spots down, and picking up an extra pick. With that extra they might trade for Mallet. It's the only way I see the Pats trading him.

Dragon

Banned

The Lions will take Tavon Austin at #5 either as a way to swap picks with a WR hungry team so we can move down and get more picks OR we draft and keep the most explosive offensive player and add him to one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

Was Detroit even in the top half of the NFL in points scored?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
One-dimensional team stays one-dimensional. I like this call!

It's an offensive driven league now. Adding talent like Tavon can never hurt, especially with Calvin Johnson on the opposite side.

The depth on defense in this draft seems deep, while offensive talents like Austin don't seem to be as readily available. I would support the pick either as trade bait or if we add him to our overall offense.

Colasante

I think Tavon Austin would be a terrible pick for the Lions. You beat the Packers by slowing down Aaron Rodgers, not trying to outscore him.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome said something to a NFL Network reporter just now to the effect of this being such a deep draft in terms of being able to build on defense through the middle of the draft (Rounds 2-5).

jwhit28

I think Tavon Austin would be a terrible pick for the Lions. You beat the Packers by slowing down Aaron Rodgers, not trying to outscore him.

I think they already have the tools to stop Rodgers. The 2nd game against the Packers last season Rodgers didn't even have a touchdown if I'm not mistaken. Holding the Packers to 20-25 points is about the best you can do (well unless you are Seattle apparently). Detroit's problem is the inability to finish drives.

Colasante

I think they already have the tools to stop Rodgers. The 2nd game against the Packers last season Rodgers didn't even have a touchdown if I'm not mistaken. Holding the Packers to 20-25 points is about the best you can do (well unless you are Seattle apparently). Detroit's problem is the inability to finish drives.

But they've lost their top pass rushers since then, and haven't adequately replaced them. Whether it be a defensive end, cornerback, or offensive line, they need something that will help them from being markedly worse than last year. Tavon Austin doesn't really help in that regard.

squicken

Wow, to show how truly awful the QB class is this year, Mayock has Tyler Bray from Tennessee at #6 QB

I've seen him frequently mocked to PITT as a developmental guy to replace Big Ben in a few years. I worry for him though b/c Ben probably likes tramp stamps

This. It's been the case for years. I don't know how many stalled three-and-outs or field goals in the red zone when we should have scored a TD I've suffered through.

And now we don't even have Hanson around. :(

Tavon Austin being drafted by Detroit at 5 would make the '68 riots look like a peace march.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Was Detroit even in the top half of the NFL in points scored?

3rd in Total Offense but 17th in points scored.

They had that one crazy game with Tennessee. Anyone think there is anyway Dee Milliner makes it to the Titans?

One of our main problems last year was we couldn't finish our drives. For instance against the Bears on national TV we had two fumbles on the goalline by our young RBs after Stafford drove us down the field. Our WR corp was also decimated due to Titus Young being insane and Burleson (one of our main team leaders) and Ryan Broyles going down due to injury early in the year. Stafford was throwing to his teammate and drinking buddy from college by Week 12 IIRC.

Our offense is no doubt explosive when its rolling. Look at the 2011 season as an example of what our offense is capable of when everyone is healthy.

It doesn't hurt to have the ability to outscore any team in the league on any gameday, including the Packers. We can do that with our current roster, but adding talent never hurts. If Austin is the BPA according to Mayhew lets go for it. I'd take Austin over Ansah anyday of the week.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

At one point I was ok with this but I'm not any more. We need way more help on the DL and OL to waste a pick on a tiny receiver.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
New York Jets: DE Ziggy Ansah. One of the most athletically gifted prospects in the draft, but the Jets should still manage to fuck up this kid’s entire career

:(

Wes

venison crêpe
Josh Gordon ‏@JOSH_GORDONXII
Who do you guys think we should draft tonight??

Josh Gordon ‏@JOSH_GORDONXII
I'm thinking Leon Sandcastle.. Solid player..

Fantomex

Bwahahaha comedy Gold Wes!

Jacksonville Jaguars: DE Dion Jordan. At 6’6” and 250 pounds, Jordan is the ideal defensive end to waste the first few years of his career in Jacksonville

Detroit Lions: OT Eric Fisher. Lions need a tackle with a lot of strength and endurance, as that person will be spending the majority of his time scooping up Matthew Stafford from the ground

New York Jets: DE Ziggy Ansah. One of the most athletically gifted prospects in the draft, but the Jets should still manage to fuck up this kid’s entire career

Nightz

If the Chargers stand pat and miss out on the offensive linemen, I hope Star is there at 11. My goodness a Reyes, Lotulelei, Liuget line would be amazing.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
At one point I was ok with this but I'm not any more. We need way more help on the DL and OL to waste a pick on a tiny receiver.

I want either Fischer, Joekel, Jordan, Milliner or Warmack at #5. The OTs will be gone, Jordan most likely and for some reason (injuries maybe?) most mocks have Mayhew skipping Dee Milliner for us.

I'm sure a lot of teams would at least trade up for Tavon Austin in this draft, so why not use that as a way to trade down and grab some more picks and get Warmack at #15 or so?

Guessing we are all watching NFL Network? They said Rams are trying to trade up with 16 and then down with 22 to recoup their picks. They must really like Austin

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I want either Fischer, Joekel, Jordan, Milliner or Warmack at #5. The OTs will be gone, Jordan most likely and for some reason (injuries maybe?) most mocks have Mayhew skipping Dee Milliner for us.

I'm sure a lot of teams would at least trade up for Tavon Austin in this draft, so why not use that as a way to trade down and grab some more picks and get Warmack at #15 or so?

I don't want Jordan. He'll excel in a 3-4 (which we don't play) at DE and would most likely operate as an OLB for us--something we don't desperately need right now. I'm on board with Fisher, Joeckel, Milliner, Warmack, or Cooper.

Nightz

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 58s

How's this for a shocker: Several execs picking early in round 1 believe OAK will take corner DJ Hayden 3rd overall if they keep the pick
I hope this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom