• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm not sure how I possibly missed Rodgers' extension but I just read through the details now... and OMG does it make Ozzie Newsome look like the dumbest, most reactionary GM on the planet.

This is the best structured and most well planned large contract handed out in the NFL since Megatron's.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm not sure how I possibly missed Rodgers' extension but I just read through the details now... and OMG does it make Ozzie Newsome look like the dumbest, most reactionary GM on the planet.

This is the best structured and most well planned large contract handed out in the NFL since Megatron's.

Yeah it was lost in the draft discussion but Rodgers took an "American Hero" contract.

Unlike Flacco, Rodgers has a national brand. He'll just do a few more commercials anyway. Now hopefully Green Bay will spend to keep guys or bring guys in with his contract savings.

bionic77

...so you hope that the Packers win multiple championships? :(
Eznark hates Fraudgers and wants him to get cut so they can bring up the talented backup. Green Bay wins championships when they promote talented backups. Once those guys become famous starters they win a lot of regular season awards, MVPs, but usually choke in the postseason.

eznark is a smart guy and doesn't give a fuck about the regular season. He wants to win championships and I was just being mean.

squicken

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
It's hard to do business with Tim Tebow. The constant pressure on coaches to play him & circus that follows, it's just hard to do biz w him

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
And BTW, he chose Jets over Jags bc he knew neither coach nor GM in J'Ville wanted him, only owner was pushing for him

I guess we all had thought that, but there was always talk he went to NYJ for more attention

bionic77

Yeah it was lost in the draft discussion but Rodgers took an "American Hero" contract.

Unlike Flacco, Rodgers has a national brand. He'll just do a few more commercials anyway. Now hopefully Green Bay will spend to keep guys or bring guys in with his contract savings.
I am sure it will work out fine for you.

Tammy took the shitty qb/hometown discount for years and look at all the high profile picks and free agents the Pats used that money to sign since then!

eznark

Banned

I like you.

eznark is a smart guy and doesn't give a fuck about the regular season. He wants to win championships and I was just being mean.
This has nothing to do with anything but jesus christ 2 year olds are monsters. How are you guys dealing with two at a time?!

Striker

...it's as if he's never watched a Giants draft in the past 20 years.:)
He had them picking D.J. Hayden so it's weird for him to nitpick hard on LB again. I'm surprised myself for the absent CB choice, but oh well. Linebacker is just something that isn't important to them - why he continues the charade is just strange, that's all.

Fantomex

Ugh, I have it just sitting on the shelf and want to play it. But I just picked up Okami HD and it has engrossed me. I've never played it before I bought the HD version and I can see why people dig it

You need to play this game. It's probably one of the best JRPG's to come out in the last 20 years.
You aren't missing much. Ni No Kuni is trash!
dylan.gif

This thread is worse than espn
It's not THAT bad.

bionic77

This has nothing to do with anything but jesus christ 2 year olds are monsters. How are you guys dealing with two at a time?!
Smiling on the outside, dying on the inside.

My wife is pretty close to going completely insane. I get to get the fuck away from that mess 5 days a week so I have that. But when they are sick we are miserable. Fuck germs. They are almost as bad as the Patriots.

My only advise is let her outside as often as possible. You need to treat a 2 year old like a lion or bear at the zoo. Over feed her and make her tired by having her run around. Yeah you might be training her to eat you in the long run, but in the meantime it will make her happier and easier to handle!

LevelNth

Banned
I like you.
Seriously though, it's the blueprint on how to handle the QB situation. Do an extension as soon as possible from the rookie contract (they did), putting the QB in the mid to high level ($10-12m a year) before getting too carried away (exactly what they did with him). Further evaluate to see if they maintain that level, then extend again prior to the end of said first extension, maximizing cap flexibility and value.

Blue. Print.

He had them picking D.J. Hayden so it's weird for him to nitpick hard on LB again. I'm surprised myself for the absent CB choice, but oh well. Linebacker is just something that isn't important to them - why he continues the charade is just strange, that's all.
Meat and potatoes draft. Seems to line up with what Coughlin is saying. They went in with the strategy of getting bigger in the trenches and apparently they never felt the CB's on the board were worth taking given that strategy. Coughlin says more here (including LB):

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/super_sized_J4s7sqo6bsJRQpFu606JWL

“Well, we went in with some pretty set ideas about what we wanted to accomplish going forward,’’ coach Tom Coughlin said after the Giants added four linemen with their seven picks. “We did go ahead and address our offensive and defensive lines with some competitiveness achieved with regard to that.’’

“I think you are always concerned with trying to be the best — have the best players you can,’’ Coughlin said of the linebacker position. “I’m sure there will be other looks at what is available out there prior to going to camp.’’

It was also surprising the Giants did not take any cornerbacks.

“We weren’t able to get the corner situation,” Coughlin said. “It seemed like each time we picked we weren’t in a position to do anything about that.’’

My second is about 1 and a half and it's already starting. They search for death actively and don't listen to a damn word out of your mouth. I'd like to punt kick her through a window more often than not.

Milchjon

Keys to life:

No wife, no kids, and avoid Patriots fans.

Those three things are actually closely connected. Mingling with Pats fans is the key to happiness, just ask like half of the married guys in this thread!

Hating on the Pats will just lead to your favorite player getting cut from the worst franchise in the league.

ChanHuk

Banned
Those three things are actually closely connected. Mingling with Pats fans is the key to happiness, just ask like half of the married guys in this thread!

Hating on the Pats will just lead to your favorite player getting cut from the worst franchise in the league.

I say we settle this by act of drunken fisticuffs. I will destroy you German.

Dragon

Banned
Outside of the first two reaches the draft wasn't that bad I felt. I don't even have that big of a problem with Fredrick himself since the Cowboys desperately need a non dumbass lineman.

Just imagine if you drafted three players from Rutgers!

I should've listened!!

She's actually pretty awesome most of the time but good lord when she is shitty she is real shitty. I just take my son and walk out of the room. I don't know how to deal with that shit!

And yeah, bionic, my kids are always outside. My wife hates being inside anyway so that's nice. Really looking forward to nicer weather.

Good way to make sure they don't get overweight. I remember I was outside all day every day during the summer. Kids these days and their vidya games.

eznark

Banned
Haha told you Eznark.

I should've listened!!

She's actually pretty awesome most of the time but good lord when she is shitty she is real shitty. I just take my son and walk out of the room. I don't know how to deal with that shit!

And yeah, bionic, my kids are always outside. My wife hates being inside anyway so that's nice. Really looking forward to nicer weather.

Seriously though, it's the blueprint on how to handle the QB situation. Do an extension as soon as possible from the rookie contract (they did), putting the QB in the mid to high level ($10-12m a year) before getting too carried away (exactly what they did with him). Further evaluate to see if they maintain that level, then extend again prior to the end of said first extension, maximizing cap flexibility and value.

Blue. Print.

Pretty much. Helps that Rodgers (and to be fair most QB's) is seemingly somewhat grounded

bionic77

I should've listened!!

Boys are way better to deal with ez. I have both.

My son is a bigger baby, but 90% of the time he just wants to do his own shit. My daughter doesn't shut up and 90% of the fights between them are caused by her running her mouth and pissing off my son. I actually feel bad for the guy! Imagine living with a Bears fan constantly telling you what to do and how you were wrong about everything. Eventually you would resort to violence.

Your wife is smart taking her outside. Getting them tired and full is the key to a few moments of quiet.

Thank God for work! And to think I get paid well to do this! If only they knew they would cut my salary in half because I would do this shit for free to get out of the house!

MechDX

I like to believe that the wife is having lesbian fantasies about Tammy and one day it can lead to a three way with Gisele

Brinbe

lol kiper is such garbage.

And I'd like to see a 2012 equivalent for this year's draft, just to see how expectations changed from then to now.

Close enough, a mock from 4/29/12 http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...aft-uscs-barkley-woods-among-top-30-prospects Fuck yeah, Barkley @ #1!

Another one http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ley-headlines-a-class-that-already-looks-deep

bionic77

Just imagine if you drafted three players from Rutgers!

Good way to make sure they don't get overweight. I remember I was outside all day every day during the summer. Kids these days and their vidya games.
I don't believe that.

Everyone knows that young Patriot fans are pale devils who spend most of their childhood playing dungeons and dragons in a cramped, dark basement when they are not praying directly to the devil.

Boys are way better to deal with ez. I have both.

My son is a bigger baby, but 90% of the time he just wants to do his own shit. My daughter doesn't shut up and 90% of the fights between them are caused by her running her mouth and pissing off my son. I actually feel bad for the guy! Imagine living with a Bears fan constantly telling you what to do and how you were wrong about everything. Eventually you would resort to violence.

Your wife is smart taking her outside. Getting them tired and full is the key to a few moments of quiet.

Thank God for work! And to think I get paid well to do this! If only they knew they would cut my salary in half because I would do this shit for free to get out of the house!

Boys are fine until they are teenagers, then they're a stumbling bull raging with testosterone. I occasionally want to lock mine in his room.

Meier

Not gonna pile on Teabag too much, but the guy is such an idiot for not accepting a position change. Would have him as a TE on the Bucs in a heartbeat.

Dragon

Banned
I don't believe that.

Everyone knows that young Patriot fans are pale devils who spend most of their childhood playing dungeons and dragons in a cramped, dark basement when they are not praying directly to the devil.

Yeah man. Used to have a circle with an island in the middle where I'd prop up a radio listening to Red Sox games. This was when they had shitty players like Tom Brunansky and Danny Darwin and I'd listen to them lose to the Tigers where Tettleton would hit fucking bombs out of Tiger Stadium. Circles and culdesacs are the shit for being able to ride your bike and everything. I'd hate for my kid to grow up in the city and not be able to do that even if the city offers its own rewards.

Crisco

Banned
I feel really good about the Panthers draft even though they only had 5 picks. Didn't really reach for anyone except that guard in the 4th round, but he fills a need. The best part is we just took our medicine and didn't trade away any future picks. Step one of cleaning up the dumpster fire that was the last few years of the Hurney era.

squicken

Stuff I did not know. Pretty astonishing that a dyslexic QB who doesn't know what Cover 3 is destroyed the Steelers in a playoff game. Also, fuck McDaniels

But what's disregarded about Tebow by so many people on both sides of the debate: He has the physical tools to play in the NFL, but not enough of the training required to do it. That's why Tebow can look great at times and look lost at others.

[Related: Jason Cole on YSR: Tebow now; Sanchez next?]

And that's why the high and low points of his career are separated by all of a week. In the 2011 NFL playoffs, Tebow played one of the most memorable games in league history, beating the defending AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers in seemingly miraculous fashion, passing for 316 yards and putting an exclamation mark on the moment. The blitzing, hyper-aggressive Steelers (who were playing with an inexperienced backup safety) played right into Tebow's greatest strength – the ability to look good in chaotic situations.

A week later, the Broncos played against the New England Patriots, a team that was almost comically bad on defense at the time. Instead, the Patriots made Tebow look like he needed to go back to Nease High in Jacksonville for remedial work. The Patriots played the simplest two-deep zone that you could imagine, refusing to blitz him until he broke the pocket. The result was a 9-of-26, 136-yard passing performance along with only 13 yards rushing on five carries.

This was the kind of game where even an average NFL quarterback would have thrown for 300 yards, as one AFC coach said a month later. Granted, that quarterback still would have lost to the Patriots and Tom Brady, but that's not the point. This was yet another illustration that Tebow isn't ready to play conventional NFL football and he's not quick enough to play read-option all the time.

Tebow can't read defenses. He can't explain the differences between two-deep, three-deep and zero coverage, much less see them. He was never trained to do that at Florida by Urban Meyer (not that it was Meyer's responsibility to teach him; it was Meyer's responsibility to win).

Blame that reality on whatever you want. It could be the fact that Tebow is dyslexic. Coaches and players who were with him in Denver say that Tebow would get to the line and immediately lose track of the play call from the huddle in the jumble of what he was told and what he saw across the line.

It could be that he played in funky offenses in high school and college that didn't teach him. He was almost never under center at either level and his high school offense featured him lining up almost in punt formation on each play, giving him an unreal amount of time to read the defense.

Ultimately, Tebow needed a plan if he was going to succeed in the NFL. He needed to sit for a couple of years and be schooled on the subtleties of the game, on reading coverages and other nuances.

That never happened. When former Denver coach Josh McDaniels traded up into the first round to draft the quarterback in 2010, the wrong message was sent to Tebow. The message was that Tebow was OK as is, that all his problems as a player were of little consequence. By God, he was going to make it.

Did any draft mocks actually have the Saints taking Kenny Vaccaro?

He and Richardson were the guys most often linked once everyone realized Mingo would be long gone

eznark

Banned
Stuff I did not know. Pretty astonishing that a dyslexic QB who doesn't know what Cover 3 is destroyed the Steelers in a playoff game. Also, fuck McDaniels

Favre had no idea either. He couldn't read a defense for shit, had no desire to learn how to do so and supposedly didn't even start trying until 2001's when he felt his arm was losing steam. There are some funny interviews where he is asked about coverages and he just goes yammering off on a tangent to try and cover it up.

squicken

Favre had no idea either. He couldn't read a defense for shit, had no desire to learn how to do so and supposedly didn't even start trying until 2001's when he felt his arm was losing steam. There are some funny interviews where he is asked about coverages and he just goes yammering off on a tangent to try and cover it up.

That's really neat info. Thanks, ez. Certainly would explain all those Cowboys losses. God I hated the Cowboys and every year Favre would torture the good people of the world with his playoff games against them

I've also often thought this about Big Ben. So many plays he just dropped back and held the ball, held the ball, then scrambled and made it work as the plays broke down

Talon

I've also often thought this about Big Ben. So many plays he just dropped back and held the ball, held the ball, then scrambled and made it work as the plays broke down
I have also thought this.

"Improvises" seems to be code for "can't beat the defense at the snap."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom