• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Favre had no idea either. He couldn't read a defense for shit, had no desire to learn how to do so and supposedly didn't even start trying until 2001's when he felt his arm was losing steam. There are some funny interviews where he is asked about coverages and he just goes yammering off on a tangent to try and cover it up.

You didn't need to know defenses when you were just a kid out there having fun.

That's really neat info. Thanks, ez. Certainly would explain all those Cowboys losses. God I hated the Cowboys and every year Favre would torture the good people of the world with his playoff games against them

I've also often thought this about Big Ben. So many plays he just dropped back and held the ball, held the ball, then scrambled and made it work as the plays broke down
I think that's more about Ben's proclivity for wanting to hit the deep ball than an inability to read defenses. So many times I've seen the check down readily available for him but he just keeps on holding and holding waiting for something to develop.

eznark

Banned
When a guy says he "can't read" defenses I think there are different levels. I'm confident Favre had a good feeling of where defenders would go and how they would react to stuff, but he couldn't decipher anything of note from pre-snap reads. Film sessions were also a total waste on him. Some people just can't figure that stuff out. I remember reading a really good article interviewing some old backups and Ty Detmer was fucking hilarious. Just tongue-in-cheek bitter about Favre having all the tools and none of the brain. If you remember Detmer was considered a pretty damn brilliant football mind (the original Scott Tolzien). Wonder why he never caught on anywhere as a coach.

Draxal

I think that's more about Ben's proclivity for wanting to hit the deep ball than an inability to read defenses. So many times I've seen the check down readily available for him but he just keeps on holding and holding waiting for something to develop.

Yeah, hence his love fo Arians. The only thing impaired about Big Ben is his taste in women.

Milchjon

I don't believe that.

Everyone knows that young Patriot fans are pale devils who spend most of their childhood playing dungeons and dragons in a cramped, dark basement when they are not praying directly to the devil.

Once again, I spent the vast majority of my childhood outside.

I've said it before, your kids are on the fast track to Patriotism (and possibly internet addiction)

Dolphins are talking to Bryant McKinnie about their left tackle vacancy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/29/bryant-mckinnie-visiting-dolphins/

According to Jeff Darlington of the NFL Network, Ravens free agent tackle Bryant McKinnie is visiting the Dolphins today about their need for a left tackle.

Ireland said a Branden Albert trade was still a possibility, but indicated he had a Plan B, saying “I have some things up my sleeve that might work out.”

If McKinnie does sign with the Fins, the Ravens are looking at..

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 20m

As mentioned a while ago, one of the fallback options for the Ravens if they lose McKinnie would be Demetress Bell.
Yikes.

Jags already killing the Tebow to Jags story before it ever gets started:

Jonny Saraceno @jonnysaraceno 25m

#TimTebow will not be a Jag. Shad Khan spokesman Jim Woodcock emailed us: “The Jacksonville Jaguars’ plans do not include Tim Tebow.''

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That's really neat info. Thanks, ez. Certainly would explain all those Cowboys losses. God I hated the Cowboys and every year Favre would torture the good people of the world with his playoff games against them

I've also often thought this about Big Ben. So many plays he just dropped back and held the ball, held the ball, then scrambled and made it work as the plays broke down

Tell me about it, I haven't ran out of salt in my kitchen since those games.

McGinn's post draft article is up. Seems happy with the picks. Better watch out for pigs flying on my way home...

Draft could be repeat of GM's 2009 success said:
Ted Thompson has had some excellent drafts in Green Bay over the years, but it could be argued that 2009 was his finest.

Yes, 2009, when the gnashing of teeth from National Football League general managers over the paucity of top-rated players was almost exactly what was universally being said in the weeks leading up to the three-day draft that concluded Saturday night.

The scouts were right. That was a bad draft.

Linebacker Aaron Curry, the fourth pick overall and winner of the annual Journal Sentinel poll for best player in the draft, is out of football.

Tackle Jason Smith (No. 2) and pass rusher Aaron Maybin (No. 11) are with their third teams on minimum contracts. Defensive end Tyson Jackson (No. 3) has been just average in Kansas City. Quarterback Mark Sanchez (No. 5) and tackle Andre Smith (No. 6) remain nominal starters.

How did Thompson fare in that inferior first round? Amazingly well, thank you.

After taking B.J. Raji at No. 9, Thompson traded up for Clay Matthews at No. 26.

Raji remains one of the better players in the league at his position, and Matthews could be a better bet than anyone in that entire draft class to make the Hall of Fame.

Thompson, a man who sees opportunity everywhere, exercised his first two choices in this top-weak draft on Datone Jones and Eddie Lacy. Together with Johnathan Franklin, they have the potential to make this Packers' draft memorable as well.

By trading down three times early, Thompson increased his original pick count from eight to 12. In the fourth round, having accumulated value, he traded back up for Franklin.

Thompson doubled up at running back, defensive end, utility offensive lineman and wide receiver. Now it wouldn't be unexpected if the Packers signed a veteran safety (Gerald Sensabaugh, Kerry Rhodes, probably not Charles Woodson) to assuage their unfinished business.

Rather than resort to superficiality and assign a letter grade on this overall draft, let's dig into Thompson's 11 selections. Much of the information stems from countless interviews with personnel people in the last five months on more than 300 draft-eligible players.

Following each pick are two numbers. On a 1-to-10 scale - with 10 being the highest - the first number is the player's chance to really contribute as a rookie and the second number is his chance to really contribute during his career in Green Bay.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...at-of-gms-2009-success-3s9o6u9-205173751.html

Click the link for his detailed analysis of each pick.

MechDX

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2012/01/lsu_tigers_sam_montgomery_prep.html

LSU sophomore defensive end Sam Montgomery has a "Sonic" thing going on, and it has nothing to do with raspberry ice tea, burgers, shakes or tater tots. When Montgomery, a third-team All-American and All-SEC selection, needs a boost of energy in a game, he summons the Sonic video game character, a speedy little hedgehog who runs around creating havoc.

"I've carried this Sonic thing with me since I was a little boy, playing all the games," said Montgomery, who uses Sonic99 (his jersey number) for his Twitter handle. "Get all the chaos emeralds and power-ups. It really does help translate me into a better player when I'm tired.

"I think in my head what Sonic would do, and I power up with an extra burst of energy, extra inspiration to make a play at the end of the game."

I don't know what to think. :jnc

Maycocks view:

Interesting point of view from Mike Mayock on Montgomery, “”Now that’s really interesting pick. He’s a guy who on tape is a solid, solid second-round pick. But a lot of teams didn’t like his interview process. Teams didn’t like his profile as far as who the kid was and what he was all about. They weren’t sure he was focused on football, and a lot of teams quite frankly took him off the board. From a football perspective, the Texans just got a steal.”

eznark

Banned
Andre Smith is a nominal starter yet BJ Raji is a top tier defensive tackle? Oh McGinn, your football smarts are only good for a week a year, and that week is over.

bionic77

Ben is capable of reading the defense and getting the ball out quick (he did it this past season before he got hurt), but he just does not want to play that way. He wants to throw it long every single fucking play and take chances.

Honestly the way the rules set things up now that is no great complement. In the old days you had to be really careful going over the middle. Now with the cushions defenses give players and the rules protecting guys from getting clobbered, anyone can just zip the ball over the middle for an easy 3-4 yards on every first down and give your receiver a chance to get a whole lot more. Ben is almost allergic to checkdowns and these dink passes. Haley got him to buy in for 8 games or whatever before he got hurt from a cheap shot, but when he came back and was rusty he reverted to form and kept looking for the homerun.

Once again, I spent the vast majority of my childhood outside.

I've said it before, your kids are on the fast track to Patriotism (and possibly internet addiction)
Stop saying horrible things about other people's kids.

This is why we never invite you to any of our parties.

Andre Smith is a nominal starter yet BJ Raji is a top tier defensive tackle? Oh McGinn, your football smarts are only good for a week a year, and that week is over.

Lightning round:
fat-sprint-andre-smith.jpg

Andre Smith or Eddie Lacy?

MechDX

NFLdraftscout.com

In a similar way, Sam Montgomery could surprise (if he remains focused on football) as an edge rusher. People tend to gloss over the fact that he was a much more consistent and productive defender at LSU than Barkevious Mingo, whom the Browns took at No. 6 overall

A lot of mocks called him a high #1 or low #2 pick before the interviews. Texans LB'ers coach Koller said in the interviews he was just a naïve and just spoke too much. referencing the taking games off comment and the betting on stats with Mingo.

Full draft interview: http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...ms/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Q: Reports had coaches at LSU not happy with your effort/work all the time, so what’s up with that?

A: “You know, some weeks when we didn’t have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed. But when we had the big boys coming in, the Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all out. Of course, this is a new league, the NFL and there are no small teams, small divisions. It’s all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It’s definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I’m sure with the right coaching I will be fine.”

Q: But NFL teams might be worried?

A: “When you’re young, you do things as a boy, but when you grow, you do things as a man. From a maturing standpoint, and from everything going into this league that I have learned so far, I was a boy in college, and now that I am going into the league, I’ve become a man.”

Q: How do you prove that to NFL teams?

A: “You get your chance, and when your chance comes, you dominate. You can only prove through actions, not words.”

Q: With weight gain, did you lose anything physically?

A: “If anything I feel my footwork has been 10 times better by doing drills, going in and out of the ropes. I feel so much more relaxed about being a linebacker. I used to just be a defensive end.”

Q: You have bets with (OLB Barkevious) Mingo at LSU?

A: “Of course, you know we had three bets going on. One was who had the higher (number of) sacks for a thousand dollars. I won that. I can’t remember the $500 bet, oh yeah, it was who had the most sacks in the last game. I won that. Now we’re fighting to compete to who is highest (selected) in the draft. That amount of money is pretty big, so I have to come up with this one.”

Q: How much?

A: “$5,000.”

Q: On those bets, you sure you’re going to have an NFL job to pay for it?

A: “Here’s the thing: Hard work, and betting like that, pushes greatness. That’s actually motivating me and Mingo. It’s not about the money. It’s about pushing us, at the combine and the drills in between. That’s what is pushing us to be the best. It’s always been competitive for me and Mingo, and it makes us better in the end. He’s a fast defensive end. I’m more physical. We have to switch over in those realms, so putting big stakes on it makes us more dominant players in the end.”

I'm going to post this over in the professorial thread as well I've been watching this game over the past few days in an effort to get some game looks at Pugh/Nassib for the Giants but you'll get a good look at Tavon Austin/Geno Smith and other prospects like Shamarko Thomas, etc. if you want to take in the whole game. It's the Pinstripe Bowl from December. The whole game is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27_09VIL3d8

Oh man...

Actually pretty sure the Alouettes would love to sign him. Calvillo is basically favre old(tm) and might only have one year left in the tank.

That being said unless you are an elite player in the CFL, it's pretty much more lucrative and less risky to benchwarm in the NFL instead. (Calvillo's yearly is 400k, the player salary cap. Average CFL salary is 82k)

Talon

Didn't Voltron randomly have an extremely violent ending with a bunch of the characters dying, or am I thinking of some other 80s cartoon show?

bionic77

Didn't most of Voltron take place in space? It was an anime, and anime is for sicko's so I don't know much about it.
I didn't know what anime was when I was a kid. Granted most anime fans are weirdos but that is just your excuse. The real reason you didn't watch the show was because you lived on a farm that was so far in the boonies that you only got the bible channel.

And Voltron was awesome in the 80s. Getting that toy for my birthday was amazing! They probably can't make toys like that anymore. It was like 2 feet and all steel. You could probably kill another kid with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom