• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
cGr4F1r.jpg

that-s-my-quarterback-o.gif

cajunator

Banned
I was listening to some stuff by Shango because he's always fun to listen to (rare for cowboys fans) and he mentioned this extremely interesting site with some incredibly detailed salary cap stats for each team going forward several years. Not sure if it has been posted here before but here you go.
http://overthecap.com/

Defensive end. Played for the Cowboys last two years. That basically says all you need to hear. Mediocre at best, terrible at worst.

Ok thanks.

I did think it was pretty early. Spring really only started a day or two ago. Whole city is throwing a party this weekend because the sun is out for the first time since September.

A lot of breweries release beers really early. A lot of pumpkin ales come out mid August and is gone way before Thanksgiving which sucks

Afrikan

just visited a Cowboy forum....and omg Romo fanboys are FAR worse than Alex Fanboys I've had to deal with for years.

"Erod, on 29 Mar 2013 - 13:15, said:

Which is more than Joe Flacco received. Told ya!

And he should get paid more than Flacco because he's simply better than Flacco."

there are some who are happy that Romo got 55mil guaranteed.

I mean I love Kaepernick...but if he got that much guaranteed after a few good seasons, although I'd be happy we were able to keep him...I wouldn't be happy for him, more so than the team which might suffer because of his cap hit. I'd be more like "ok, lets earn this money Kaep".

but some of these Romo fans seem more happy that Romo got a HUGE contract, more so than happy just for the fact that Romo is sticking around.

just visited a Cowboy forum....and omg Romo fanboys are FAR worse than Alex Fanboys I've had to deal with for years.

there are some who are happy that Romo got 55mil guaranteed.

I mean I love Kaepernick...but if he got that much guaranteed after a few good seasons, although I'd be happy we were able to keep him...I wouldn't be happy for him, more so than the team which might suffer because of his cap hit. I'd be more like "ok, lets earn this money Kaep".

but some of these Romo fans seem more happy that Romo got a HUGE contract, more so than happy just for the fact that Romo is sticking around.

kap is going to get paid by us or someone else. what he does this coming season will determine how much and when he receives that payment. if we win the superbowl and he's tearing it up like he has been.... motherfucker is going to get a big time payday

kap is going to get paid by us or someone else. what he does this coming season will determine how much and when he receives that payment. if we win the superbowl and he's tearing it up like he has been.... motherfucker is going to get a big time payday

I think he will keep tearing it up, and with your 14 picks this year you guys will be able to bolster your defense back to 2011 and first half of 2012 levels. I'm convinced NFC West will be the best division by leaps and bounds this year. Not happy the Rams have to compete with what many analysts are ranking as the top two teams in the league

Afrikan

i think he could choose to be the highest paid player in the NFL...but I don't know if he would choose to be, if that makes sense. I think he'll be top 4 highest paid.

curious to see how much Rodgers will get....he deserves to get MUCH more than Romo, but i think he'll get maybe 60mill guaranteed?

edit- and Matt Ryan signed before him for 57mill.

I think he will keep tearing it up, and with your 14 picks this year you guys will be able to bolster your defense back to 2011 and first half of 2012 levels. I'm convinced NFC West will be the best division by leaps and bounds this year. Not happy the Rams have to compete with what many analysts are ranking as the top two teams in the league

i imagine this draft is a lot of pressure on baalke and our scouts. similar to catching a WIDE open pass or a break away layup.... i mean you should come away with something good and that means there's more pressure to make it happen. a first and two picks in rounds 2-5 you should set yourself up nicely for the future.

can't imagine we draft 14 guys though. i see us either trading up or possible trading a pick this year for a pick next year or something. maybe our chiefs pick this year for a first next year, i don't know.

i think he could choose to be the highest paid player in the NFL...but I don't know if he would choose to be, if that makes sense. I think he'll be top 4 highest paid.

curious to see how much Rodgers will get....he deserves to get MUCH more than Romo, but i think he'll get maybe 60mill guaranteed?

i'm hoping kap is reasonable but it's also his agent. he needs to be honest with himself and understand that part of the reason he has done so well is the system, coaching and players around him. like i said yesterday dude wouldn't be doing this on the raiders.

and i hope rodgers gets as much as he can get. i want him to get so much that green bay suffers elsewhere

Afrikan

not gonna lie, and I'm sure it'll sound stupid..but I feel we're at a point right now that I wish we could've traded draft picks for more Cap space...like straight up for cap space.

so a 2rd round pick for 4mill cap space from a team for two seasons, that has the cap space to do so.

just throwing numbers out there...don't really know what would be considered a good deal.

not gonna lie, and I'm sure it'll sound stupid..but I feel we're at a point right now that I wish we could've traded draft picks for more Cap space...like straight up for cap space.

so a 2rd round pick for 4mill cap space from a team for two seasons, that has the cap space to do so.

just throwing numbers out there...don't really know what would be considered a good deal.

And use the space on who?

Afrikan

And use the space on who?

some of our current and ex established players.......YES Goldson dammit! I know some hate to hear that, but I feel he is worth what he got.

I hate going into this season with a question mark at Free Safety...especially when our other safety who is still on the team was giving up the booty late in the season and in the post season.

rookie FS for this season worries me.....or free agent FS (not named Woodson) also worries me.

Elite teams expose defenses and players.....they did so with us going after Whitner and Cully at times....now they might might have someone else to go after. We are in our SuperBowl window right now....I hate that we going about it this way. I wish we signed Goldson before extending Rogers and Brooks...I'm sure we could've still worked out something for those other two.

some of our current and ex established players.......YES Goldson dammit! I know some hate to hear that, but I feel he is worth what he got.

I hate going into this season with a question mark at Free Safety...especially when our other safety who is still on the team was giving up the booty late in the season and in the post season.

rookie FS for this season worries me.....or free agent FS (not named Woodson) also worries me.

Elite teams expose defenses and players.....they did so with us going after Whitner and Cully at times....now they might might have someone else to go after. We are in our SuperBowl window right now....I hate that we going about it this way. I wish we signed Goldson before extending Rogers and Brooks...I'm sure we could've still worked out something for those other two.

why do you think goldson was so good? he was a SS playing FS. what did he do in the playoffs aside from blow a few coverages? no int's, no FF's, no big hits really. he might have had his worst game as a 49er in the NFC championship game. he got a stupid penalty in the divisional. i just don't know. i liked him but he's not the best FS in the league and shouldn't be paid that way. we offered him $7 mil a year and it wasn't enough. i'll take my chances with the best FS we can draft at a fraction of the cost.

i'd take goldson over rogers but rogers is making less than goldson wanted. i wouldn't take goldson @ $8 mil per year over brooks @ his salary. brooks isn't the best OLB in the league and he isn't being paid like that. he is being paid what he should be paid. goldson felt like he was the best FS in the league and tampa agreed. good luck to him playing on a defense without willis, bowman, aldon, justin smith and the rest

squicken

When is Crabtree due for an extension? Will need to have the cash flow set up to keep Aldon Smith. Or maybe Crables is just a slot guy, and the market is pretty soft for those guys so he'll be cheap to keep

When is Crabtree due for an extension? Will need to have the cash flow set up to keep Aldon Smith. Or maybe Crables is just a slot guy, and the market is pretty soft for those guys so he'll be cheap to keep

2015 he is a free agent. not looking forward to that off-season. the following players are scheduled to hit free agency:

Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Michael Crabtree, Chris Culliver

squicken

2015 he is a free agent. not looking forward to that off-season. the following players are scheduled to hit free agency:

Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Michael Crabtree, Chris Culliver

Yikes. 4 first round picks and a second? Good problem to have, but certainly means you'll need to identify who the core guys on your team are.

cajunator

Banned
Saints are gonna have to blow the whole thing up soon.
Keep Brees and pretty much ditch everything else and start over.
Too many free agents coming up in 2014/2015 and too much dead cap money.

Yikes. 4 first round picks and a second? Good problem to have, but certainly means you'll need to identify who the core guys on your team are.

we can't keep everyone, facts are facts. i have to believe kap is priority 1 (if he keeps performing), then iupati, crabtree, aldon, davis, culliver. culliver maybe higher if he keeps up his non-superbowl performance. i think we could keep most of our team intact but it's going to take people taking less money to stay (like bowman did)

jakncoke

Banned
we can't keep everyone, facts are facts. i have to believe kap is priority 1 (if he keeps performing), then iupati, crabtree, aldon, davis, culliver. culliver maybe higher if he keeps up his non-superbowl performance. i think we could keep most of our team intact but it's going to take people taking less money to stay (like bowman did)

You can then you can have Steelers cap situation in a few years !

Been busy all night. Just noticed all the Browns love in here ;)

Keep hating! The tears are delicious.

Here's a hug for ya.

The Buckeye in me always wanted to see Terrelle Pryor get a shot to start in Oakland.

Even if Raiders start flynn, I can still see Pryor beating him out for the job. Would be pretty funny.

Lmao did anyone else just see Mcnabbs tweet?!

New avatar! Very nice :D

Saints are gonna have to ditch Brees soon. His expiry date is coming.

On that note, who was the oldest Super Bowl winning quarterback?

jakncoke

Banned

Drew Brees will be 36 and 37 in those years, you're kidding yourself if you think they are going to rebuild the team around a 36 or 37 year old qb.

cajunator

Banned
Saints are gonna have to ditch Brees soon. His expiry date is coming.

On that note, who was the oldest Super Bowl winning quarterback?

Brees is pretty durable. He will likely play for a long time. But he will start to decline soon and probably has reached the peak of his ability. Pretty sure he will still be viable in 2015 though since he doesnt get sacked 40 times a season every season. How old is Manning and Brady?

jakncoke

Banned
Peyton Manning turned 37 last week
Tom Brady turns 36 in august

edit; now to list super bowl losing qbs 35 and over

Roger Staubach 36
Rich Gannon 37
Kurt Warner

So there been 94 starters, some are obviously repeats but have unique ages per visit for this particular point

That means out of 94 possible there was only 8 that were over 35 at the time of playing the Super Bowl or 8.5% the time

cajunator

Banned
Peyton Manning turned 37 last week
Tom Brady turns 36 in august

edit; now to list super bowl losing qbs 35 and over

Roger Staubach 36
Rich Gannon 37
Kurt Warner

So there been 94 starters, some are obviously repeats but have unique ages per visit for this particular point

That means out of 94 possible there was only 8 that were over 35 at the time of playing the Super Bowl or 8.5% the time

I was pretty much saying Brees would be the only player truly worthy of keeping past that point. Maybe Colston and a couple others. But we are going to have to jettison a ton of contracts soon.

jakncoke

Banned
My point was you simply dont rebuild a team around a qb of that age and historical evidence of the lack of old super bowl winning or losing qbs supports that argument. Say you do keep him throughout and in 2014/2015 you get rid of a lot of guys and bring in rebuild, are you going to be super bowl ready in those years? Or are you going to have to wait till 2016,17,18? Are you simply hoping Brees pulls through long enough because because your previous 40+ years of qb has sucked so hard ?

cajunator

Banned
My point was you simply dont rebuild a team around a qb of that age and historical evidence of the lack of old super bowl winning or losing qbs supports that argument. Say you do keep him throughout and in 2014/2015 you get rid of a lot of guys and bring in rebuild, are you going to be super bowl ready in those years? Or are you going to have to wait till 2016,17,18? Are you simply hoping Brees pulls through long enough because because your previous 40+ years of qb has sucked so hard ?

dunno

Doubt they'll be able to rebuild the team while Brees is still capable of advancing them. The older he gets, the better the rest of the team has to be to compensate. Elway doesn't win two without the Broncos defense and Davis.

cajunator

Banned
Doubt they'll be able to rebuild the team while Brees is still capable of advancing them. The older he gets, the better the rest of the team has to be to compensate. Elway doesn't win two without the Broncos defense and Davis.

thats true.
The old guard of quarterbacks will soon give way to thel ikes of Kaepernick, WIlson, RGbroken, and Luck. Power will shift. Patriots fans will leave in droves. Equibrium and peace will be achieved.

thats true.
The old guard of quarterbacks will soon give way to thel ikes of Kaepernick, WIlson, RGbroken, and Luck. Power will shift. Patriots fans will leave in droves. Equibrium and peace will be achieved.

Would you consider Weeden part of the old guard or one of the new kids on the block?

Milchjon

thats true.

Will I have to learn to live with not having the most handsome quarterback of all time on my team?

:-(

Which teams are still in their SB window?

The Steelers' window has slammed shut with this offseason. They're not in rebuild mode because I'm sure they feel they can cling to mediocrity in a mediocre division, but truth is they're going to ride out Ben's career and then go full 80's again.

The Ravens' window is shut. BLarry and Bolt can talk all they want about the signings being better than the leavings, but at the end of the day that team was emotionally uplifted by RayRay StabbyStabby. When he was out last season they were barely scraping wins out of their fetid assholes, but he comes back, says he's done after this run, and the team is inspired to go all the way. They'll fall back to mediocre and hard.

The Pats are done. They continue to feast on a shit division and then shit the bed in the playoffs.

The Broncos have maybe 1 or 2 years left with PeyPey, but let's face it, Fox fucked them hard last year.

The Texans are in their window but lack an elite QB to rise to the occasion. The more experience Luck gets the more likely the Colts will surpass them again.

The Dolphins, if Tranny is a real QB, might be the team to show up out of the East over the next couple of years, as Tammy fades.

The 9ers are in their window. Lots of 1st and 2nd round guys still on the team right before they all hit the market. They have maybe 2 years left before the cap situation bites them. The Packers are still in their window, AGod could screw up their cap with his contract. The Giants can only get there if the Pats and the Pats aren't getting there again. I feel like the Skins won't succeed so long as Shanny is their coach. Seattle is in their window along with the 9ers; those should be some great matchups every year for the next couple of years.

Am I forgetting anyone of importance? Oh, the Failcons. I feel like they're in their window, but I'm not really sure what they need to get over the top. Is Cowardly capable? Is Mike Smith capable? I feel like they're the NFC's Texans.

Oh and Romo :jnc

eznark

Banned
Man Infinite has a really shitty opening. I wonder if they got some sort of prize for being the 10,000th writers to use that shitty raffle cliche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom