• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Schefter ‏ @ AdamSchefter 1 m
# Buccaneers trade 2013 4th round draft pick (112) to # Browns for DT Ahtyba Rubin.

Ahtyba Rubin has two years remaining on current contract at about $6 million per year. # Browns now $34 million under cap, tops in # NFL. # Bucs

Makes sense for both teams. # Bucs have cap space and need DLine help, # Browns switching to 3-4 and want more draft picks.
April fools, smh dbags.

cajunator

Banned
What is it that holds Reid back from winning the big game? Does he make poor decisions in the biggest games or what? His teams always seemed consistently competitive, even when they were mediocre, but just never made it all the way. The Vikings too. Like both teams are just cursed to never win it.

JABEE

What is it that holds Reid back from winning the big game? Does he make poor decisions in the biggest games or what? His teams always seemed consistently competitive, even when they were mediocre, but just never made it all the way. The Vikings too. Like both teams are just cursed to never win it.

He's won a lot of playoff games, but he is a terrible at clock management. He needs complete control over every play that is run which leads to wasted timeouts. It is a surprise when he wins a challenge.

Romo should have been paid 6 year $66 mil, thats what his last contract was, when he was younger and had more agility. 6 years later he achieves nothing and you double his salary. Way to go Jerry. I'm happy hes locked up but thats absurd.

cajunator

Banned
Pittsburgh looks very interesting on a natural level.
I've seen videos from exiting the Ft Pitt tunnel into the city and it looks fucking amazing.
Wouldl ike to experience seeing it.

I've never played a Pokemon game ever, but they get such good reviews, and now I finally have a handheld...should I play one, or are they for kids?

Milchjon

West Virginia talk (via "Country Roads") led me to this question: Anyone here ever driven the Blue Ridge Parkway? Seems like such a distinctly American concept. Thought that was strange about Acadia National Park too, like there's nothing you can't make a drive-thru.

cajunator

Banned
West Virginia talk (via "Country Roads") led me to this question: Anyone here ever driven the Blue Ridge Parkway? Seems like such a distinctly American concept. Thought that was strange about Acadia National Park too, like there's nothing you can't make a drive-thru.

Yes. BLue ridge/Skyline is FUCKING GORGEOUS>

I've never played a Pokemon game ever, but they get such good reviews, and now I finally have a handheld...should I play one, or are they for kids?

Pokemon Conquest is pretty cool, it's a different style Pokemon with the Samurai Warriors characters, it's a great game and I'm somewhat tired of the normal formula too.

cajunator

Banned
First piggy slaughter parties, now this. You seem to have all the fun.

Well like I said, the only thing found elsewhere that I require in my life is mountains. Otherwise I'm happily covered in Louisiana. I would enjoy travelling a bit. Seeing cities, and going on a tornado chasing tour in the plains.

Milchjon

Well like I said, the only thing found elsewhere that I require in my life is mountains. Otherwise I'm happily covered in Louisiana. I would enjoy travelling a bit. Seeing cities, and going on a tornado chasing tour in the plains.

What's keeping you? You said you basically have every second week off, right?
There's a lot you can do in a week.

cajunator

Banned
What's keeping you? You said you basically have every second week off, right?
There's a lot you can do in a week.

Whats keeping me from what? Tornado chasing? Those tours last several weeks and take place more into April-May for one thing. Also It takes a full day just to drive the BLue ridge and I would have to drive all the way to northern Alabama just to start getting into the mountains. I suppose I could fly up there but it hardly seems like a good use of money to do so.
Besides, I am travelling with my parents again this summer to visit relatives up in Virginia/Maryland again. This time though I dont really care much to visit museums. Maybe this time I can go with my uncle up to NY for a day and see how fucking crazy it is there.

effzee

Past 10 Super Bowl winners:

Joe Flacco
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady
Tom Brady

Catching up with the thread just now but what did Chip say here that's so bad or off?

He won't win it.

LOL Reid.

Dude is a good coach and can turn a shitty program around to a respectable competitive team but he is one of the most stubborn, crazy, and at times stupid coaches I have ever seen.

I had a diminishing opinion of him before the Juan Castillo/Washburn fiasco over the past 2 seasons but that last offense really cemented my opinion of him. Piggy backed off the success of McNabb, JJ, and the players Ray Rhodes drafted. Since 2004 has had very little success.

He will take KC to the playoffs this coming season though.

Also I was at the Hospital all day yesterday. Brother in law had his first child so was just chilling in the family/waiting room watching the Duke game.

Holy fucking shit that was the worst thing I have ever seen. The way Louisville players just collapsed to the ground after seeing what happened. The room full of guys I was watching with all had tears in their eyes. Hope he has a full recovery.

Yeah man, I grew up right near the parkway so I was up there all the time. It's a great place to ride bikes (or motorcycles if you're into that) also. Great place for family picnics and hiking too.

This was about 20 minutes from my house:

1673687956_269e03ff61.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Yeah man, I grew up right near the parkway so I was up there all the time. It's a great place to ride bikes (or motorcycles if you're into that) also. Great place for family picnics and hiking too.

You are a lucky motherfucker to live near that kind of scenery.

You are a lucky motherfucker to live near that kind of scenery.
I know, but it's like you said, you don't really realize what you had until you're away from it for awhile.

One time in high school some of my friends and I hiked up one of the two main mountains in the area starting from his house (he lived at the base of it) with no trail. It was a lot of fun.

cajunator

Banned
I know, but it's like you said, you don't really realize what you had until you're away from it for awhile.

One time in high school some of my friends and I hiked up one of the two main mountains in the area starting from his house (he lived at the base of it) with no trail. It was a lot of fun.

I have hiked the appalachian trail and whitewater rafter on the Nolichucky River in Tennessee. Visited Biltmore Estate in Asheville,NC as well as Gatlinburg, TN. So much amazing natural scenery in the area. Even the Smoky Mountain Knifeworks was interesting to visit. I love that area sooooooo much.

Where do you live now if I might ask?

I have hiked the appalachian trail and whitewater rafter on the Nolichucky River in Tennessee. Visited Biltmore Estate in Asheville,NC as well as Gatlinburg, TN. So much amazing natural scenery in the area. Even the Smoky Mountain Knifeworks was interesting to visit. I love that area sooooooo much.

Where do you live now if I might ask?
I live in Kingsport now, so about an hour from Asheville and two hours or so from Gatlinburg. I haven't done much exploring in Tennessee yet since I'm new to the area but it seems a lot like Virginia from what I've seen so far (scenery-wise, anyway). Maybe once the weather gets a little warmer I'll start looking for some places to hike and stuff.

My wife and I did stay at a bed and breakfast in Asheville last year, that's a pretty cool little town.

cajunator

Banned
I live in Kingsport now, so about an hour from Asheville and two hours or so from Gatlinburg. I haven't done much exploring in Tennessee yet since I'm new to the area but it seems a lot like Virginia from what I've seen so far (scenery-wise, anyway). Maybe once the weather gets a little warmer I'll start looking for some places to hike and stuff.

My wife and I did stay at a bed and breakfast in Asheville last year, that's a pretty cool little town.

Oh sweet. thats right around where we stop for the night driving up there. Just before reaching the Virginia border. Last summer we stopped there and ate at a Cracker Barrel and it was the night that fucking beast of a derecho swept over everything north of there and put power out for thousands. We were just below that crazy shit and just got a bit of wind and rain. But it took down trees and tore up stuff all the way to Port royal.

Milchjon

Damn.

I spent two weeks in Baxter State Park in Maine, which unlike Acadia isn't a total theme park-like experience, and it was crazy. You just don't really get this kind of space in Europe. There's always some kind of city in the distance. Even the alps feel way different.

cajunator

Banned
Damn.

I spent two weeks in Baxter State Park in Maine, which unlike Acadia isn't a total theme park-like experience, and it was crazy. You just don't really get this kind of space in Europe. There's always some kind of city in the distance. Even the alps feel way different.

America might not have the most incredible looking cities, but the natural beauty of this country and the sheer variety of it is found almost nowhere else. What people from other countries dont expect is the sheer vastness of it. Parts of the US are just so fucking beautiful it is beyond words.

Oh sweet. thats right around where we stop for the night driving up there. Just before reaching the Virginia border. Last summer we stopped there and ate at a Cracker Barrel and it was the night that fucking beast of a derecho swept over everything north of there and put power out for thousands. We were just below that crazy shit and just got a bit of wind and rain. But it took down trees and tore up stuff all the way to Port royal.
You're probably coming up I-81 right? Right through Bristol and Abingdon? If you're in the area sometime in the near future you should let me know and we can enjoy some Cracker Barrel together.

Damn.

That's interesting, I've never really thought about it that way since I haven't spent much time anywhere in Europe (just a few airports transferring flights). Growing up I was always more fascinated by Europe because of how much history most of the countries have compared to the US. I still want to visit sometime, but I have no idea where I'd go.

cajunator

Banned
You're probably coming up I-81 right? Right through Bristol and Abingdon? If you're in the area sometime in the near future you should let me know and we can enjoy some Cracker Barrel together.

That's interesting, I've never really thought about it that way since I haven't spent much time anywhere in Europe (just a few airports transferring flights). Growing up I was always more fascinated by Europe because of how much history most of the countries have compared to the US. I still want to visit sometime, but I have no idea where I'd go.

Yup. I81 is one of my favorite stretches of road. I havent seen the west coast yet though.
But travelling I81 and seeing those tiny towns with homes up on the hillsides and overlooking the mountains...oh my god. As a fan of Americana and the history of that region I find it so fascinating. I would love to check out some antique shops in the area and see what kind of crazy colonial period stuff has survived. Did that up in Maryland in St Marys County and was floored by how many interesting things were just sitting around in peoples homes and the quality of the furniture (that was extremely affordable by the way). I really regretted that we hadnt bought a trailer because damn I want some of that rustic hill country furniture in my house.

Also, as beautiful as Colorado is, I find the Appalachians to be more charming to visit. There is just something magic about the Smokies and Appalachia.

Draxal

Damn.

Ah, good old Mt Katahdin, my family owns a summer cabin on lake Millinocket, Mililnocket which is the nearest town to there, and yeah that area is completely devoid of people. It's so serene.

America has has so much unused landspace, New Jersey has like 20 times the population of the entire state of Wyoming, while Wyoming is like 10 times its size. And New Jersey has the Pine Barrens, which an area so removed from civilization that it makes West Virginia look like Manhattan.

But yeah, I do get annoyed when people try to take European solutions (aka mass transit train system) and assume they would work in the US, because Europe and the US are vastly different in some regards.

bionic77

Whats keeping me from what? Tornado chasing? Those tours last several weeks and take place more into April-May for one thing. Also It takes a full day just to drive the BLue ridge and I would have to drive all the way to northern Alabama just to start getting into the mountains. I suppose I could fly up there but it hardly seems like a good use of money to do so.
Besides, I am travelling with my parents again this summer to visit relatives up in Virginia/Maryland again. This time though I dont really care much to visit museums. Maybe this time I can go with my uncle up to NY for a day and see how fucking crazy it is there.
Spend more than a day in NY.

Greatest city in the US and in consideration for greatest city on the planet. Make sure to eat as much as possible there. Never been to a city that comes even remotely close to the number of good restaurants as you get in NYC.

cajunator

Banned

Greatest city in the US and in consideration for greatest city on the planet. Make sure to eat as much as possible there. Never been to a city that comes even remotely close to the number of good restaurants as you get in NYC.

considering how much I enjoyed a day in Baltimore I would probably really love NY. I love just walking in downtown DC. Seeing all those skyscrapers would probably blow my mind.

Milchjon

Well, Germany, of course! Not even joking. Paris is a total must, London is nice, and I particularly enjoy some Benelux cities. Most people also love Prague. I can't say much about Southern Europe, which most people love. I'm just not made for the climate.

Ah, good old Mt Katahdin, my family owns a summer cabin on lake Millinocket, Mililnocket which is the nearest town to there, and yeah that area is completely devoid of people. It's so serene.

Fucking jealous. We canoed Lake Millinocket, and I spent an evening at the lakeside house of our superviser near Millinocket. Can't think of a place where I'd rather own a house right now.

I feel like I should have had someone to show me around. Too big, too impersonal for my tiny brain to compute. Plus you can probably spend several lifetimes exploring the city. I had ten days, walked around all day, and didn't even scratch the surface.

cajunator

Banned
I enjoyed talking about how awesome the appalachians are.
If I ever win the lottery or somehow come upon a shit ton of money, I would definitely build a second home overlooking the blue ridge.

bionic77

considering how much I enjoyed a day in Baltimore I would probably really love NY. I love just walking in downtown DC. Seeing all those skyscrapers would probably blow my mind.
I lived in DC for 5+ years and while it is an awesome city to live in, it is not in the same league as New York. Though the tourist attractions are more obvious in DC.

And :lol @ Baltimore. Baltimore is a shit hole. That might just be the DC asshole in me, but I can't take that city seriously. How many times can you go to that shitty Inner Harbor or that ghetto Aquarium? The best thing about Baltimore was a legendary HBO show that was based on it.

bionic77

I feel like I should have had someone to show me around. Too big, too impersonal for my tiny brain to compute. Plus you can probably spend several lifetimes exploring the city. I had ten days, walked around all day, and didn't even scratch the surface.
You get the same feeling even if you live there for years because as awesome as the city is, the people are even better. It really is the best place to live in if you are young and have a little cash (as long as you ok with not saving a cent by the end of your stay there).

GAF can be a great resource for people visiting. Did you go to the Statue of Liberty and up the Empire State Building? I thought the Empire State Building was really fun when I was a kid but I always thought Lady Liberty was boring.

cajunator

Banned
I lived in DC for 5+ years and while it is an awesome city to live in, it is not in the same league as New York. Though the tourist attractions are more obvious in DC.

And :lol @ Baltimore. Baltimore is a shit hole. That might just be the DC asshole in me, but I can't take that city seriously. How many times can you go to that shitty Inner Harbor or that ghetto Aquarium? The best thing about Baltimore was a legendary HBO show that was based on it.

I dunno. It looked fine to me. Every big city has some total shithole parts.
I have fun visiting them but wouldnt want to live in a city larger than 200k.
The size of Lafayette is ideal for me.

Milchjon

GAF can be a great resource for people visiting. Did you go to the Statue of Liberty and up the Empire State Building? I thought the Empire State Building was really fun when I was a kid but I always thought Lady Liberty was boring.

I did go up the Empire State Building. Only took the ferry past the Statue, didn't really see how it was worth visiting.
And yeah, I got lots of inspiration from GAF.

Draxal

The games are actually kinda deep, but most older players play it because of

a. nostalgia which you don't have.

b. they're kids are into it. I forgot how old your children are, but it's something you could play with your oldest.

bionic77

I dunno. It looked fine to me. Every big city has some total shithole parts.
I have fun visiting them but wouldnt want to live in a city larger than 200k.
The size of Lafayette is ideal for me.
You have a long way to go cajun. Fuck I mean even Philly feels bigger than Baltimore. Baltimore is small and there are not a ton of places worth visiting.

You need to go see Chicago and New York. LA and Houston are as big, but I never liked either city. They both just feel like shitholes, but honestly that might just be East Coast bias.

bionic77

The games are actually kinda deep, but most older players play it because of

a. nostalgia which you don't have.

b. they're kids are into it. I forgot how old your children are, but it's something you could play with your oldest.
I also never played Pokemon.

Never felt the urge to either though.

I am more into classic JRPGs where a female looking male lead (who barely talks) has to save the world with magic and a sword (with which he can take down armies, legendary monsters, and sometimes Gods). Thats the way RPGS are meant to be. The idea of just running around catching some animals and shoving them in that pokeball prison doesn't appeal to me.

I also never played Pokemon.

Never felt the urge to either though.

I am more into classic JRPGs where a female looking male lead (who barely talks) has to save the world with magic and a sword (with which he can take down armies, legendary monsters, and sometimes Gods). Thats the way RPGS are meant to be. The idea of just running around catching some animals and shoving them in that pokeball prison doesn't appeal to me.

I kinda feel the same way, but it's so iconic, i thought it might be worth a try.

Since I'm starting my new job in two weeks, I'll be spending the first few months living in a hotel during the week without children, so I'll have abundant gaming time, and I have my 3DS. I think it was you who said there are a ton of good games on the DS worth playing, so I'm building up a backlog to take with me. Just bought Chrono Trigger, because I've never played the original, but I'm looking for others. I heard Advance Wars is good, worth a buy? Others?

Also, anyone have a good/reputable place to buy used games online, or is amazon pretty much the only shop?

I kinda feel the same way, but it's so iconic, i thought it might be worth a try.

Since I'm starting my new job in two weeks, I'll be spending the first few months living in a hotel during the week without children, so I'll have abundant gaming time, and I have my 3DS. I think it was you who said there are a ton of good games on the DS worth playing, so I'm building up a backlog to take with me. Just bought Chrono Trigger, because I've never played the original, but I'm looking for others. I heard Advance Wars is good, worth a buy? Others?

Also, anyone have a good/reputable place to buy used games online, or is amazon pretty much the only shop?

You've never played Chrono Trigger? My god. Get ready for the feels man.

Also, Radiant Historia, The World Ends With You, and Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors are all amazing.

You were looking for RPGs, right? Radiant Historia, the Dragon Quest games, and the Mario & Luigi games are all pretty good.

pretty much Amazon

bionic77

Advance Wars is ok. I can't play it anymore after Fire Emblem.

Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever. There are some really good DS Castlevania games if that is what you are into. Also some really unique games like Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. The Mario RPG games are a lot of fun as well. Man if you are going down the DS rabbit hole you will need more than a month or two!

Btw, who is going to be taking care of the kids while you live in the Ramada Inn? If you have no kids you should also spend some time and hit the gym crazy hard. You probably won't get this kind of free time again for a long ass time.

You were looking for RPGs, right? Radiant Historia, the Dragon Quest games, and the Mario & Luigi games are all pretty good.

pretty much Amazon
Not sure about DQ. That is a tough series to get into if you are not an old school RPG gamer.

I personally like the games, but I would not recommend them to just anyone without knowing more about their tastes. Chrono is a way better game for people not totally invested in the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom