• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
My wife was just in Lafayette for work. Apparently Olde Tyme Grocery is amazing.

Also, the pictures she took while running were pretty neat. It definitely looks pretty there.

Would she mind sharing some of those Lafayette photos? I would like to see what areas were visited. Some parts of the city are quite clean and picturesque. If there was one thing I would criticize though, is that the heavily travelled corridors around I10 and I49 are the dumpiest and oldest areas. you have to go far from there to see Lafayette at its best, but some of it is very nice (I live around the best parts of it).

squicken

If the Chargers were truly rebuilding, they should deal Rivers!

Agree, but that's mostly b/c I think he has physically deteriorated more than most people talk about. Everyone blames it on the loss of the WRs and OL, but his arm looked bad last year. Not sure what his contract is or what his value would be

edit: Chickens thinking of bringing in Lionheart as backup to Russell

Agree, but that's mostly b/c I think he has physically deteriorated more than most people talk about. Everyone blames it on the loss of the WRs and OL, but his arm looked bad last year. Not sure what his contract is or what his value would be

Rivers has 3 years and $41.5m left. I agree that his arm seemed much weaker the last 2 years. I doubt there would be a ton of interest in him if they did try to trade him.

bionic77

I'm assuming you meant it is "a must"

Any classy and adult ones to carry my video games in?
Yes that's a typo. Phone posting is tough.

And never saw a good looking case. You can always just use a ziplock bag. That is they my nephew does.

And Palmer is shit. Can't believe he is still a starter or that anyone would want to trade for him.

This is my favorite:

@ClaytonESPN: By trading Carson Palmer, the Raiders save $5.995 million of cap room. Had they done a June 1 cut, they would have saved $13 million.

He's confused.
Is there a source breaking down the contract to explain the confusion? I see 9 million in dead money on the contract (which would count against the cap this season) with a 13 million base salary and no bonuses. If the Cards pay him 8 million, that may be where Clayton is pulling the 5 million from.

I'm not sure where Clayton is pulling the 13 million savings from unless he's just subtracting the 13 million base salary without taking the dead money into account.

Is there a source breaking down the contract to explain the confusion? I see 9 million in dead money on the contract (which would count against the cap this season) with a 13 million base salary and no bonuses. If the Cards pay him 8 million, that may be where Clayton is pulling the 5 million from.

I'm not sure where Clayton is pulling the 13 million savings from unless he's just subtracting the 13 million base salary without taking the dead money into account.

He's probably is just having a brain fart thinking the base salary is what would count against the cap.

The trade doesn't change anything regarding his contract on the Raiders side, it's just like a cut, the remaining 9 million pro-rated signing bonus is accelerated.

June 1st designation just would have let them spread that over 2 years, but it still would have been 9 million.

Edit: Overthecap.com and Spotrac.com seem to be the best sources for salary cap and contract info

squicken

beaten

He's probably is just having a brain fart thinking the base salary is what would count against the cap.

The trade doesn't change anything regarding his contract on the Raiders side, it's just like a cut, the remaining 9 million pro-rated signing bonus is accelerated.

June 1st designation just would have let them spread that over 2 years, but it still would have been 9 million.
That's what I thought. Thanks. You guys are on the hook for the 9 million regardless.

I know both in so far as cap sites. I was using spotrac for the contract info I posted. I figured that's where Clayton was pulling the 13 million savings from (on the base salary alone without taking into account the dead money).

Milchjon

Is there something like a "Beginner's Guide to the Salary Cap"? Because I've had enough of being confused by all this stuff.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Would she mind sharing some of those Lafayette photos? I would like to see what areas were visited. Some parts of the city are quite clean and picturesque. If there was one thing I would criticize though, is that the heavily travelled corridors around I10 and I49 are the dumpiest and oldest areas. you have to go far from there to see Lafayette at its best, but some of it is very nice (I live around the best parts of it).

Yeah I'll have my wife dump her pictures off her phone sometime this week haha. I know she took a picture of a 500 year old tree and a bunch of pictures of a trail by a small river where all of the trees look like some sort of relative of Weeping Willows.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah I'll have my wife dump her pictures off her phone sometime this week haha. I know she took a picture of a 500 year old tree and a bunch of pictures of a trail by a small river where all of the trees look like some sort of relative of Weeping Willows.

Cool.

what brought her down here? What sort of business I mean?

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/03/nfl-players-as-superheroes.html

Sorry if this has been posted before but damn...

wonderwitten-417x600.png

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Cool.

what brought her down here? What sort of business I mean?

She audits banks for the Treasury Department. Exact same job I have an interview up in Chicago for on thursday.

Here are a few she sent to my phone:

4Pthm70.jpg

hXHWjk4.jpg

zmgkAnn.jpg

DxGcrrA.jpg

Oz1E0aG.jpg

I'm not sure if there are more of these because my wife tends to send all the pictures she takes haha.

bionic77

Surprised there was no more interest in Flynn.

Also daughter broke iphone5 screen. Going to be $200+ to get it replaced. It was more expensive to get 3rd parties to fix the screen. That makes zero sense to me. How can it cost them $250+ to just repair the glass on top (not the LCD) and yet I get a brand new phone from Apple for less than that?

I remember when I got some dude at the mall to repair my wife's 4S it was like 60 bucks and it took him like 5 minutes. Was expecting the same thing, but I guess not.

Oh well, it my fault. I was not watching my phone and I hate cases. Now the question is whether or not I will get a case for the next one...

Fox318

Also daughter broke iphone5 screen. Going to be $200+ to get it replaced. It was more expensive to get 3rd parties to fix the screen. That makes zero sense to me. How can it cost them $250+ to just repair the glass on top (not the LCD) and yet I get a brand new phone from Apple for less than that?

I remember when I got some dude at the mall to repair my wife's 4S it was like 60 bucks and it took him like 5 minutes. Was expecting the same thing, but I guess not.

Oh well, it my fault. I was not watching my phone and I hate cases. Now the question is whether or not I will get a case for the next one...

Make your daughter use an Otterbox case.

You don't have like ten spare iPhone 5's lying around? I thought you weren't a poor?

Carson Palmer is a pretty solid pickup for Arizona considering what they had to work with. He really didn't have the worst season ever last season or anything, his stats look like middle of the pack numbers. He was probably just barely in the top half of the league statistically.

Palmer with his age and immobility in Arians 7 and 10 step drop system against the Niners, Seahawks and Greasy Jeff Fisher? ...."Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies......farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain"

Fox318

Forgot about Gerrard. Tebow will get releases, so it kind of seems like Sanchez is still the best bet

Honestly they might as well make him compete for the job at this point. Its clear they aren't going to get anything for him and with the GM moves the way they have been the clearly plan on tanking this year anyway.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 5m

Rams re-signed G Chris Williams to a one-year deal worth up to $2.75 million.

EDIT: On Osi's deal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/osis-new-deal-surely-not-what-he-had-envisioned/

We’re told that, within the past year or two, he turned down a three-year, $18 million package from the Giants.

Umenyiora got far less than that from the Falcons. His two-year, $8.5 million deal averages $4.25 million per season. And while it puts him back on the market again in time for what some think will be a spike in the salary cap, Osi also will be 34 years old by then.

Umenyiora received a signing bonus of $2.5 million, along with a base salary of $1.75 million in 2013. Next year, he’s due to pocket a $1 million roster bonus and a $2.5 million base salary. (An unspecified escalator appears in the deal.)

It’s possible that the Falcons will decide to make it a one-year arrangement, absorbing $1.25 million in dead money next year while avoiding $3.5 million in compensation.

Oh Osi.....

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
There's a guy at Subway wearing a Steelers cap and a Donald Driver jersey. He's with his family so I'm only giving him looks of disdain.

Jesus some of you guys are full of hyperbole.

First off, what's laughable about Palmer when you're going into the season with Stanton? If we get him for a reasonable price, it's actually a good way to go for a stop-gap.

Second, he's taking a big reduction in pay to come here, reported about 8 mil with incentives. We have two 6th rounders so I imagine we'll be giving them one of those. Palmer is better than a player drafted that late would be. It puts us in position to not have to reach for a QB (not that we would have anyway) and get something of better quality next year. Unless Palmer decides to be Kurt Warner 2.0 :D
kidding

bionic77

Make your daughter use an Otterbox case.
I normally never let her touch my phone. I went home for lunch and I left my phone on the table when I went to get a glass of water. By the time I came back she threw it down because she could not get some app or something to open.

And I don't let her use my phone because she deletes everything. She has deleted contacts, emails, texts, apps, etc. from my wife's phone. I might be fucked if she deleted an important email.

You don't have like ten spare iPhone 5's lying around? I thought you weren't a poor?
Have a few spare 4s lying around but no 5s.

If I ever get a spare phone it will be one of those cheap Android ones. I think I saw one that was like a ghetto GS3 for like $250. That seems pretty reasonable. Especially if it is international. That could be useful when we travel.

bionic77

First off, what's laughable about Palmer when you're going into the season with Stanton? If we get him for a reasonable price, it's actually a good way to go for a stop-gap.

Second, he's taking a big reduction in pay to come here, reported about 8 mil with incentives. We have two 6th rounders so I imagine we'll be giving them one of those. Palmer is better than a player drafted that late would be. It puts us in position to not have to reach for a QB (not that we would have anyway) and get something of better quality next year. Unless Palmer decides to be Kurt Warner 2.0 :D
kidding
Its the difference between new trash (Stanton) versus old trash (Palmer).

In the end what you are going to end up with is garbage, but generally people find the newer stuff to be less repulsive. If you are really hungry (i.e. Cards fan) you can convince yourself that the muffin on yesterdays trash is worth eating. But it becomes harder the older and more rotten the garbage becomes....

squicken

kidding

I don't have a problem with it as long as you aren't giving away much. A big salary isn't an issue b/c it's still a rebuild and he's not going to screw up any extensions for young players in the coming years. Don't think the Cards will be much good this year, but at least Whiz is gone. In the end, Kurt Warner inflicted a lot of extra years of bad coaching on the team

kidding

Welcome to the spin zone. Stop gap, stop gap from what to what exactly? From awful on the way to completely awful?

_woLf

I want to know what the conditional pick is in 2015 for Flynn. 5th rounder just doesn't seem worth it when our other options at backup are going to be...less than preferable.

I want to know what the conditional pick is in 2015 for Flynn. 5th rounder just doesn't seem worth it when our other options at backup are going to be...less than preferable.

It's described as a conditional late round pick, so probably nothing higher than a 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom