• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

No one claimed this class was strong or even good. Most all scouts have said as much.

But teams will take chances instead of hoping to tank for another season in hopes they can grab a guy who might be a better potential franchise QB. Wilson went in the third. What's to say one of these guys can't for in the 2nd or 3rd round to a good organization and turn out to be a decent or even really good QB?

The point was the issues Nawrocki brought up no other even respected scouts and analysts brought up.

I caught some NFL 32 show yesterday on ESPN and Mort was going on and on about how of all the college QBs who attended camps that Trent Dilfer runs and the Manning brothers run and how Geno was the only guy who brought notebooks to take notes, asked questions, and memorized the playbooks front and back. Doesn't sound like a guy who doesn't take the game seriously. And some of his coaches and ex coaches came out and said how he was always studying film and early on the practice field and late to leave.

I'd buy all the skill set criticisms but some of this other stuff seems almost personal and off base.

Dragon

Banned
Wow I thought I'd seen it all on NeoGAF but there's a person arguing that incest is like gay marriage in that people put restrictions on what other people do in their private lives. Fuck people are weird.

I have no problem with the final 2 non calls until you watch the ravens previous drive and see that we were called for a bullshit PI on a crucial 3rd down.

If you're going to swallow the whistles then do it for both teams or this becomes the nba

image.php

What's to say one of these guys can't for in the 2nd or 3rd round to a good organization and turn out to be a decent or even really good QB?
Nothing. Disliking a QB class as a scout/analyst doesn't preclude any of these players finding success in the NFL given time/development. If it was a perfect science, every team would hit on their picks and there wouldn't be any need for analysis, reviewing game tape, etc.

Guys like Mayock could tell you exactly where every player was going to go and who was going to succeed. Mayock called Burfict last season "undraftable" and he was right. He wasn't drafted. He's going pretty damn good as a UFDA with the Bengals though....

I'd buy all the skill set criticisms but some of this other stuff seems almost personal and off base.
You have no way of knowing what scouts and executives are truly saying about Smith post combine and post the interview process. It's an evaluation of a player at the end of the day. You can choose to ignore it but to say it's some personal vendetta seems a bit silly.

I'm not saying he's 100% correct about Geno Smith or that his evaluation is the only valid one either but what bone does the guy have to pick? You could argue he's doing it to get hits and that's fine. However, look at his evaluation of Cam Newton...was that personal? Was he off base in saying Cam was immature and played to the cameras? Or really was any of what he had to say really that off base about Newton? That's not to say Cam won't grow up in time but it's pretty striking how dead on he was about him and that's why I'm not so quick to dismiss the opinion (and that's what it is, an opinion!).

bionic77

Wow I thought I'd seen it all on NeoGAF but there's a person arguing that incest is like gay marriage in that people put restrictions on what other people do in their private lives. Fuck people are weird.
What thread is that?

That is going to incite the full rage of GAY GAF.

tmdorsey

People just post shit to get reactions. Threads like those get automatically get bypassed by me.

That's so funny about us signing Banks. Me and the wife just watched the 60 minutes story on him this past Sunday. I hope he earns a spot.

effzee

Nothing. Disliking a QB class as a scout/analyst doesn't preclude any of these players finding success in the NFL given time/development. If it was a perfect science, every team would hit on their picks and there wouldn't be any need for analysis, reviewing game tape, etc.

Guys like Mayock could tell you exactly where every player was going to go and who was going to succeed. Mayock called Burfict last season "undraftable" and he was right. He wasn't drafted. He's going pretty damn good as a UFDA with the Bengals though....

You have no way of knowing what scouts and executives are truly saying about Smith post combine and post the interview process. It's an evaluation of a player at the end of the day. You can choose to ignore it but to say it's some personal vendetta seems a bit silly.

I'm not saying he's 100% correct about Geno Smith or that his evaluation is the only valid one either but what bone does the guy have to pick? You could argue he's doing it to get hits and that's fine. However, look at his evaluation of Cam Newton...was that personal? Was he off base in saying Cam was immature and played to the cameras? Or really was any of what he had to say really that off base about Newton? That's not to say Cam won't grow up in time but it's pretty striking how dead on he was about him and that's why I'm not so quick to dismiss the opinion (and that's what it is, an opinion!).

Again this draft class was considered sub par. So no one had Geno pegged as the next Luck or RG3. So we already knew he was an ok player who might become something in the NFL but not as much of a given.

But no one questioned his character or desire to work hard and play. With Cam we already had that. With Cam this guy just piled onto what was already said but used harsher language to put the exclamation point. With Geno its coming from almost nowhere. Why would other analysts sit on this information if it was also provided to them? These guys don't protect players. They go on and on about character issues if there are any. They go on and on about lack of desire, effort, or whatever else it might be.

Maybe its just me but it just comes across really weird and cheap to sell his own book. I don't think Geno is going to be a superstar and so ultimately this guy will be proven "right" in that sense but all this other tearing into Geno stuff seems really like a ploy to get his own name and book out there.

bionic77

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533952

It's a gaming thread no less. The guy's whacko and thinks that siblings or parents having sex with their kids only have to worry about contraception. As if there aren't any other implications. Time for a noon beer after reading that!
I will never understand guys who get boners for cartoon characters.

And now they are adding pedo and incest to it?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this planet. I want off!

Barkevious Mingo's brother is called Hughtavious?

Their parents must be awesome, and I'm not even joking.

I enjoy names, so I had researched him initially. Barkevious is named after his mom, Barbara. Makes sense.

If you ever are bored, go to rivals.com and look at all the college recruits names....some real gold there. My favorite was Brandarius something, and there was a top defensive line recruit named....Dee Liner.

Maybe its just me but it just comes across really weird and cheap to sell his own book. I don't think Geno is going to be a superstar and so ultimately this guy will be proven "right" in that sense but all this other tearing into Geno stuff seems really like a ploy to get his own name and book out there.
Seems to be working as the same level of controversy is being generated now as it was about Cam.;) We'll see if he is ultimately proven "right" as you say, at which point the only thing that people will take issue with is his "harsher" tone (which frankly, I couldn't give a shit about). Had he made the same evaluation of Geno's character with more fluffy "TV safe" language, I doubt anyone would be up in arms about it.

I personally like Mayock's comment even more. "I can't stand this whole QB class" is pretty strong stuff from the usually vanilla NFLN when it comes to player evaluations...

Milchjon

I enjoy names, so I had researched him initially. Barkevious is named after his mom, Barbara. Makes sense.

If you ever are bored, go to rivals.com and look at all the college recruits names....some real gold there. My favorite was Brandarius something, and there was a top defensive line recruit named....Dee Liner.

Awesome. Although I'd be kind of mad at my dad if he named me Hugh and then my brother Hughtavious. Instant inferiority complex.

I also found this looking around for more info. Some gold in there.

squicken

Again this draft class was considered sub par. So no one had Geno pegged as the next Luck or RG3. So we already knew he was an ok player who might become something in the NFL but not as much of a given.

But no one questioned his character or desire to work hard and play. With Cam we already had that. With Cam this guy just piled onto what was already said but used harsher language to put the exclamation point. With Geno its coming from almost nowhere. Why would other analysts sit on this information if it was also provided to them? These guys don't protect players. They go on and on about character issues if there are any. They go on and on about lack of desire, effort, or whatever else it might be.

Both Mayock and Lance Zierlein have said that Nawricki is legit, and has real sources. He was pretty on with Cam. A lot of stuff that got attributed to him was actually from Bob McGinn. I imagine that Tyler Bray will get torn up as well, but b/c he's not the number 1 prospect, it won't make any news

brentech

Whyyyyyy did I enter the 'has ObamaCare affected you' thread.
I usually don't enter any threads and actually type outside of here and the PC build thread...a few minor others but got damn.

WedgeX

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533952

It's a gaming thread no less. The guy's whacko and thinks that siblings or parents having sex with their kids only have to worry about contraception. As if there aren't any other implications. Time for a noon beer after reading that!

Wow.

Only positive I got out of that thread was this twitter account claiming to have the worst GAF posts on it. Who knew?

Whyyyyyy did I enter the 'has ObamaCare affected you' thread.
I usually don't enter any threads and actually type outside of here and the PC build thread...a few minor others but got damn.

We all make mistakes.

Both Mayock and Lance Zierlein have said that Nawricki is legit, and has real sources. He was pretty on with Cam. A lot of stuff that got attributed to him was actually from Bob McGinn. I imagine that Tyler Bray will get torn up as well, but b/c he's not the number 1 prospect, it won't make any news

Caplan said today he never would have ran that story and that Nawricki doesnt have any really sources he just talks to a few scouts, and that you cant trust scouts when it comes to stuff like this.

squicken

Caplan said today he never would have ran that story and that Nawricki doesnt have any really sources he just talks to a few scouts, and that you cant trust scouts when it comes to stuff like this.

Caplan is a journalist. You wouldn't run that story in a paper. Nawricki writes a draft guide. And yeah, it's all based on scouts he talks to. And their pumping and dumping is something that he would have to figure in when he writes this thing

Again, this stuff is far less incendiary that what he wrote about Cam. How far off do you guys feel he was on Cam?

brentech

I only read the Cam stuff yesterday and just remembering the personality stuff and thinking that he was spot on.

Definitely a "me first" guy, hard to say he actually cares about losing as long as the camera stays on him.

I only read the Cam stuff yesterday and just remembering the personality stuff and thinking that he was spot on.

Definitely a "me first" guy, hard to say he actually cares about losing as long as the camera stays on him.

I thought the complaint about Cam was he gets to pouty after a loss?

effzee

Again nothing new that he told us about Cam. Cam had issues which we all knew about! Everyone questioned his character and the other issues with money that came up.

This guy might be legit in that he does his HW but so far all we have to back him up is that he was right on Cam. To be honest that wasn't that hard to read or predict. And he never met Cam or in this case Geno. Just talked to scouts, teams, and other people in the know. So do the other guys. And none of them came up with the extremely harsh stuff this dude came up with. In fact they say the opposite about his work ethic. Even the other analysts who don't like Geno at all or as a first round talent didn't question the stuff Nawrocki brought up. So either he has access no one else does or he just throwing this shit out there for himself and his own name.

bluemax

Banned

No one will ever top X'Zavier Bloodsaw.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Shouldn't Gruden's qb camp be starting up soon? Watch the one with Geno and we'll all know more about him.

edit: Tomorrow, 8:30 est, espin2

mr2xxx

Banned
I thought the complaint about Cam was he gets to pouty after a loss?

Snippet about him being an asshole at the pro bowl .

CBSsports said:
According to several players in the game, some from both teams, Newton's standoffish, diva ways made him enemy No. 1 in the eyes of some of the players.
"He was a total ----hole," one AFC player said. "Who did he think he was? He acted like the big s---. Here he was at his first game and he acted like he was the star. Guys didn't like that."
The Pro Bowl is a laid-back game, one for relaxing, spending time with your peers and unwinding after a tough season. The resort where players are housed is for them and their families only to prevent fan interference.
So when Newton turned down one player's request for an autograph and a picture for his kids at a function, it angered the player.
"Who the hell did he think they were?" said one player. "The only people around are families. He knew that. Yet he big-timed the guy by saying 'now's not the time.'"
That player said Newton did the unthinkable and even dissed Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.
"That's the godfather there," one player said. "Can you believe he did that?"
Said another player: "It didn't matter who it was, he didn't care about anybody but himself."
Lewis denied that he was dissed when asked through Ravens PR man Kevin Byrne, but other players confirmed that it happened. A handful of other league sources confirmed that Newton was aloof and isolated much of the week in Hawaii.

bionic77

Whats so bad about dissing a murderer?

The other stuff all sounds bad, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that Cam was in the wrong there.

Talon

Is Gruden actually critical of anything on these things? Or just how he commentates games?
He criticizes guys.

He pretty much spent 80% of the Manti Te'o one rolling tape of the Bama game and asking him why he was so terrible in that game.

effzee

Sometimes I wonder why I even venture over to the Eagles boards. Some of the dumbest discussion known to man.

Vick comes out and says something like "I am confident I will be the starter week 1. I will work super hard blah blah blah to do whatever it takes....yada yada yada" and there is a 100 page thread about how the guy is an asshole, arrogant, needs to be humble, thrown back into jail, and far worse.

Foles today met the media and came across a little annoyed and edgy about the idea that he can't run Chip's offense. Said something about "he can run whatever they want and he is confident he will compete and win the job" and he is being heralded as a heroic leader who will conquer the league this coming season.

Kolb 2.0

effzee

Eagles fans...

really good interview with DJAX on the main site.

Actually couple of good videos and some hilarious footage of Foles and DJAX benching. Made me feel better about myself.

This much I can see from the video. Geno can bench press more than Foles.

WedgeX

Banned
Speaking of depth, the Lions added some to the Defensive Tackle ranks today.

mlive said:
The Detroit Lions did not waste anytime locking up defensive tackle C.J. Mosley during his visit today.

Mosley is expected to sign with the Lions after his recent release by the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to NFL reporter Adam Caplan. Terms of Mosley's deal are currently unknown.

And Anwar Richardson is trying to give all of Lions-GAF a heart attack by suggesting they might take a DT in the first round.

....The signing of Mosley could mean Detroit might pass on Florida defensive tackle Shariff Floyd if he was available in the first-round.

squicken

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
NFL announces four game suspension for Cardinals LB Daryl Washington for violating substance abuse policy.

All these NFCW juicers scared of the Rams

WedgeX

Banned
NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
NFL announces four game suspension for Cardinals LB Daryl Washington for violating substance abuse policy.

All these NFCW juicers scared of the Rams

Fun fact, Cheatin' Pete's older brother lives in Phoenix, Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom